Fasting

Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did a quick search and didn't find any discussions on fasting. Life has come at me fast (pun unintended) recently, and I felt I needed to make a few changes to better my health and outlook on life. I fasted for five days - Monday through Friday - taking in nothing but lots of water and a half cup of coffee with honey and cinnamon.

It was surprisingly easy, I lost a few lbs, and felt a sense of accomplishment afterward and increased focus later in the week. I highly recommend it, assuming you're in reasonably good health beforehand. Anyone else fast recently?

Comments

• bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

We planned a 5 day a couple of weeks ago. Made it a full 72 hours and my wife was getting lightheaded and I was feeling quite funky, so we cut it off. We drank nothing but black coffee, in sweet tea and water. Now we’re planning to start doing every other day. It’s interesting for sure, but I’m not sure I’ll ever do more than 3 days unless it’s out of necessity.

• Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bigred90gt said:
    We planned a 5 day a couple of weeks ago. Made it a full 72 hours and my wife was getting lightheaded and I was feeling quite funky, so we cut it off. We drank nothing but black coffee, in sweet tea and water. Now we’re planning to start doing every other day. It’s interesting for sure, but I’m not sure I’ll ever do more than 3 days unless it’s out of necessity.

If your going to do it longer you definitely should add some vitamins and minerals. You'll burn fat for energy but you still need the vitamins to keep your body running normally.

• bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

We planned to do a serving of bone broth at dinner time starting on day 3. We bought enough to get us through, but never made it that far.

• jdvela55jdvela55 Sin City, NVMembers Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I intermittent fast and cycle off every other month. I do a 16 on 8 off. It can be a mentally tough adjustment at first, you just have to make sure you follow it. Little to no calories while on. Lots of water during the fast to feel full. For the 8hrs that you are off make sure you eat enough proteins and carbs. That at least what I do. I stay pretty active. Gym, golf and softball.

FORMERLY KNOWN AS AZTEC575

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Callaway Xhot 3 deep Oban Revenge
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Callaway Apex 5 - PW w/ KBS V Steel
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
    Callaway MD 2 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't feel comfortable doing anything too strenuous during the fast; just stretching and walking. I also added some electrolyte tabs to the water occasionally. I did a three day fast years ago, and it was like torture. Not sure why this one was so easy. I'll do it again in a few months.

• ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I want to get my weight down, I would initially fast for three days, ingesting only water and/or soup broth (no solids). I found that after three days, my stomach acclimated and the hunger pangs were minimal. After that, I could resume eating and feel "full" easily and quickly. The key to losing weight from that point on was to resist raising food portion size and wise food choices. Dinner on a dessert-size plate and not going back for seconds. Eventually, I blow it; Thanksgiving, Christmas, event dinners, etc.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• GaiusMariusGaiusMarius Members Posts: 3

I have practiced fasting for the last ten years. Initially I did it to lose weight and it worked. I haven't done anything more than 7 day water fasts, but even those seem to cleanse me, reset my energy levels and give me stronger will power. I try to do a 3+ water fast every few months. In addition, i try to intermittent fast each day - 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours for eating each day.

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love intermittent fasting, but need to have a schedule in place to keep it going... unemployment has been bad for my diet.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file