Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts or PM's. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Fasting

Birdie Mac ·  
Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members  688WRX Points: 354Posts: 688 Golden Tee

Did a quick search and didn't find any discussions on fasting. Life has come at me fast (pun unintended) recently, and I felt I needed to make a few changes to better my health and outlook on life. I fasted for five days - Monday through Friday - taking in nothing but lots of water and a half cup of coffee with honey and cinnamon.

It was surprisingly easy, I lost a few lbs, and felt a sense of accomplishment afterward and increased focus later in the week. I highly recommend it, assuming you're in reasonably good health beforehand. Anyone else fast recently?

Posted:

Comments

• bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4966WRX Points: 736Posts: 4,966 Titanium Tees

We planned a 5 day a couple of weeks ago. Made it a full 72 hours and my wife was getting lightheaded and I was feeling quite funky, so we cut it off. We drank nothing but black coffee, in sweet tea and water. Now we’re planning to start doing every other day. It’s interesting for sure, but I’m not sure I’ll ever do more than 3 days unless it’s out of necessity.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers  2042WRX Points: 234Posts: 2,042 Platinum Tees

On -, @bigred90gt said:

We planned a 5 day a couple of weeks ago. Made it a full 72 hours and my wife was getting lightheaded and I was feeling quite funky, so we cut it off. We drank nothing but black coffee, in sweet tea and water. Now we’re planning to start doing every other day. It’s interesting for sure, but I’m not sure I’ll ever do more than 3 days unless it’s out of necessity.

If your going to do it longer you definitely should add some vitamins and minerals. You'll burn fat for energy but you still need the vitamins to keep your body running normally.

Posted:
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4966WRX Points: 736Posts: 4,966 Titanium Tees

We planned to do a serving of bone broth at dinner time starting on day 3. We bought enough to get us through, but never made it that far.

Posted:
  • jdvela55jdvela55 Sin City, NVMembers  570WRX Points: 106Posts: 570 Golden Tee

I intermittent fast and cycle off every other month. I do a 16 on 8 off. It can be a mentally tough adjustment at first, you just have to make sure you follow it. Little to no calories while on. Lots of water during the fast to feel full. For the 8hrs that you are off make sure you eat enough proteins and carbs. That at least what I do. I stay pretty active. Gym, golf and softball.

Posted:
    FORMERLY KNOWN AS AZTEC575

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Callaway Xhot 3 deep Oban Revenge
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Callaway Apex 5 - PW w/ KBS V Steel
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
    Callaway MD 2 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members  688WRX Points: 354Posts: 688 Golden Tee

I didn't feel comfortable doing anything too strenuous during the fast; just stretching and walking. I also added some electrolyte tabs to the water occasionally. I did a three day fast years ago, and it was like torture. Not sure why this one was so easy. I'll do it again in a few months.

Posted:
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Dayton, OhioMembers  945WRX Points: 214Handicap: 16Posts: 945 Golden Tee

When I want to get my weight down, I would initially fast for three days, ingesting only water and/or soup broth (no solids). I found that after three days, my stomach acclimated and the hunger pangs were minimal. After that, I could resume eating and feel "full" easily and quickly. The key to losing weight from that point on was to resist raising food portion size and wise food choices. Dinner on a dessert-size plate and not going back for seconds. Eventually, I blow it; Thanksgiving, Christmas, event dinners, etc.

Posted:

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

Advertisement
  • GaiusMariusGaiusMarius Members  6WRX Points: 8Posts: 6 Bunkers

I have practiced fasting for the last ten years. Initially I did it to lose weight and it worked. I haven't done anything more than 7 day water fasts, but even those seem to cleanse me, reset my energy levels and give me stronger will power. I try to do a 3+ water fast every few months. In addition, i try to intermittent fast each day - 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours for eating each day.

Posted:
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  3324WRX Points: 892Handicap: 6Posts: 3,324 Titanium Tees

I love intermittent fasting, but need to have a schedule in place to keep it going... unemployment has been bad for my diet.

Posted:

As of 6/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110 X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400
    4 iron / utility Sub 70 699 with Proforce 85 gram X
    50, 54, 60 Vokeys
    Tank Counter Balance #7
    Driver and Putter are set for now. Wedges are safe for time being.

• sford31sford31 Members  42WRX Points: 26Posts: 42 Bunkers

something i need to do. Never thought i could go multiple days but hearing you guys I guess i could give it a shot.

Posted:
  • hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members  488WRX Points: 177Posts: 488 Greens

didn't mickelson do something like this before the british/open championship, but with the addition of grass-fed butter* and MCT/coconut oil?

*not sure how one feeds grass to butter... :D

edit: yep. scroll to "What's in this special coffee?" for the recipe: https://www.sbnation.com/golf/2019/7/16/20694641/phil-mickelson-coffee-diet-british-open-2019-fasting

Posted:
    Post edited by hoselpalooza on

callaway big bertha alpha 815 DBD 8*, 70g diamana d+ x
    TEE CB4 13* 3w, 80g diamana a'hina x
    mizuno mmc fli-hi 2i 16.5*, c-taper 130g
    mizuno mp5 3-p, c-taper 130g
    mizuno t7 50/55/60, c-taper 130g

• PappyVanWinkle53PappyVanWinkle53 Members  528WRX Points: 271Handicap: 2.8Posts: 528 Golden Tee

I've done several water fasts in the past........the most I've ever done was 7 days. After another bad, bad, bad weekend of eating and drinking.....I'm gonna jump back into a fast so I can cleanse/detox my body.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9 degree (set to 8), Oban Devotion 7 X
    Titleist 910F 15 degree (set to 14.25), Diamana 'Ahina 82
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB
    Titleist T200, Aerotech SteelFiber i110 Taper 4-AW
    Vokey SM7 54 degree & 60 degree
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8 putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1

Advertisement
  • Calle83Calle83 SwedenMembers  60WRX Points: 42Handicap: 7.9Posts: 60 Bunkers

I intermittent fast 16-8 or 18-6 works great takes a while to get used to but i like it

Posted:
    Irons: Ping IBlade 4-PW
    Driver: Ping G410 9* CB stiff shaft
    Hybrid: Ping G410 19* tour stiff shaft
    FW:
    Wedges: SM8 52,56,60
    Putter: Spider X
    Ball: Pro V1, v1x
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members  688WRX Points: 354Posts: 688 Golden Tee

On -, @Crazy About Golf said:

I've done several water fasts in the past........the most I've ever done was 7 days. After another bad, bad, bad weekend of eating and drinking.....I'm gonna jump back into a fast so I can cleanse/detox my body.

Do you drink anything in particular to detox? Like an apple cider vinegar concoction?

Posted:
  • PappyVanWinkle53PappyVanWinkle53 Members  528WRX Points: 271Handicap: 2.8Posts: 528 Golden Tee

On -, @Birdie Mac said:

On -, @Crazy About Golf said:

Do you drink anything in particular to detox? Like an apple cider vinegar concoction?

Nope.....you certainly can, but you don't really need it. Drinking just water will flush your body pretty quickly.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9 degree (set to 8), Oban Devotion 7 X
    Titleist 910F 15 degree (set to 14.25), Diamana 'Ahina 82
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB
    Titleist T200, Aerotech SteelFiber i110 Taper 4-AW
    Vokey SM7 54 degree & 60 degree
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8 putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.