***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

The Plan (Book)- Coach James Jordan

hangontight ·  
hangontighthangontight Members  791WRX Points: 247Posts: 791 Golden Tee
Joined:  edited Aug 31, 2019 in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1

Anyone read this book? Following his IG- I like his approaches teaching and the way he works with his juniors.

Posted:

Comments

• darter79darter79 Members  902WRX Points: 321Posts: 902 Golden Tee

On -, @leezer99 I'm sure he has :D
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees

On -, @darter79 said:

On -, @leezer99 I'm sure he has :D

My son did go to JJ for about two years and I've had Georgia on my lap during lessons. Just didn't work out for us but I still send a bunch of junior golfers his way. A lot of people know he's a music guy as well but don't know he has another IG account under jfunkla. He absolutely wrecks a turntable and has thousands upon thousands of vinyl records. As for The Plan, I can say that I haven't ordered it but would assume it's a helpful, easy and quick read for kids. He has a lot of inspiration (personal and golf related) to share which your child might enjoy.

Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX

On -, @leezer99

Wow I love the positivity man!! 👌
    Posted:
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1919WRX Points: 1,305Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,919 Platinum Tees

On -, @kekoa

JJ is a good person with good intentions which is much more than I can say about a lot of other people in this world. If he were creating a hostile environment or a detriment to anyone's development I would just be silent about it.
    Posted:

• JedaigekiJedaigeki Members  357WRX Points: 91Posts: 357 Greens

My daughters just getting into golf with some seriousness and she's a real book worm (I keep finding golf books from my collection in her room) so this may be a nice read for her (and me)

Posted:
  • darter79darter79 Members  902WRX Points: 321Posts: 902 Golden Tee

On -, @Jedaigeki its not a 'real book' its an epub/pdf type of book.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3908WRX Points: 1,276Posts: 3,908 Titanium Tees

I think my kid would flourish under JJ. His personality is right in line with what my kid needs. He is a really good teacher of the swing.

Posted:

On -, @heavy_hitter said:

I think my kid would flourish under JJ. His personality is right in line with what my kid needs. He is a really good teacher of the swing.

Road trip! J can stay with us.

Posted:

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9411WRX Points: 896Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,411 ClubWRX

My son saw him like 4 times as a 6-7 yr old and it wasn't a fit at all. More for me than my son, but yah it seems like he definitely knows his stuff. I had actually referred 3 kids to him and all of them have since moved on to different instructors.

Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3908WRX Points: 1,276Posts: 3,908 Titanium Tees

On -, @kekoa said:

My son saw him like 4 times as a 6-7 yr old and it wasn't a fit at all. More for me than my son, but yah it seems like he definitely knows his stuff. I had actually referred 3 kids to him and all of them have since moved on to different instructors.

Interesting to say the least. My kid needs to be patted on the back. As a 6-7 year old I think it is over the top. As a teen I think it is great. May have a totally different opinion watching it happen live. The thing is, doesn't matter what we think as parents. The student/child/kid/player has to learn and be comfortable with the coach/student relationship. I think more so in golf/tennis/swim/individual sports the relationship of the student/coach has to be great for the kid to flourish. A kid can still excel with a crappy baseball coach.

Posted:

On -, @kekoa said:

I had actually referred 3 kids to him and all of them have since moved on to different instructors.

Interesting.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • kcapkcap Members  210WRX Points: 131Posts: 210 Fairways

Finding and knowing you have the right coach is quite the exercise!! We recently switched to someone again.. I think it working but the F knows!
    He really likes him and I think the difference is that this coach is a really accomplished player and my sons loves watching him or just playing with him..

Posted:

Just got this last night. I'll go through it this weekend and report back next week.

Posted:

The Plan by James F. Jordan Recap

Ok, so like I said, I received a copy of this book in PDF and ePub formats on Friday night. Popped a copy of the ePub file on my phone and read through the entire book during a 5 hour round my son played on Sunday. Mind you, I took plenty of breaks to watch my son hit shots and I will definitely read through the book again to get down some of the nuance that I feel like I missed.

This part of the intro really lays out what you can expect: "...Something simple and effective that can help a golfer, parent, instructor, coach, task effectively in their journey. That’s the sole purpose behind this book. Through my experience and journey, I share how to plan effectively." The Plan should be on everyone's list to read if you feel like you are lost in the process or if you just are winging it and wondering why your junior golfer isn't developing like some other golfers are. There are parents out there that are doing all of these things already but this book pretty much lays it all out there with practice plans, weekly scheduling plans, fitness and nutrition plans, etc.

I would recommend that when you order this book, you as the parent, should read through it first before having your junior golfer read it. There will be parts that they can gloss over depending on where they are in their development and maturity. Likewise there will be sections that you can gloss over if you've been in junior golf development for a while now. For example, Get Fit might be a chapter you have already gone through but it's still good to read in case you missed something. I guarantee there will be something in The Plan that resonates with you.

What this book is NOT... this is not a swing technique instruction manual. You aren't going to read about the grip, stance or where your load should be at P3. You aren't going to learn about the 'tushy turn' or really any other JJ'isms you might see on his Instagram page.

The Plan helps you as a parent lay out a foundation for future success and it can be applied to beginners through elite level players all through appropriate focus.

My recommendation would be for every parent to pick up a copy and give it a chance. It's only $60 and I know we have all dropped more coin on other crap that doesn't pan out.

Peace.

On -, @leezer99
    Posted:
    Post edited by leezer99 on

• hangontighthangontight Members  791WRX Points: 247Posts: 791 Golden Tee

Great review, thanks

Posted:

On -, @CTgolf said:

$60 - wow

If your kid wins or contends in every event they enter this may not be the book for you.
    If you have a weekly plan covering all major aspects of junior golf development then this book may not be for you.
    If you have never gotten frustrated at your kids performance then this book may not be for you.

You're not going to find a more comprehensive book that both you and your junior golfer can read to help guide you through the process, in my opinion. You might find all of this information in five or six other books plus a myriad web sites but at least here it's compiled into one easy reference.

I would love to hear about any other guides that anyone has read or used that might be better but I doubt there are many.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members  1301WRX Points: 685Posts: 1,301 Platinum Tees

On -, @leezer99 said:

On -, @CTgolf said:

$60 - wow

If your kid wins or contends in every event they enter this may not be the book for you.
    If you have a weekly plan covering all major aspects of junior golf development then this book may not be for you.
    If you have never gotten frustrated at your kids performance then this book may not be for you.

You're not going to find a more comprehensive book that both you and your junior golfer can read to help guide you through the process, in my opinion. You might find all of this information in five or six other books plus a myriad web sites but at least here it's compiled into one easy reference.

I would love to hear about any other guides that anyone has read or used that might be better but I doubt there are many.

I picked up Rotella's "Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect" and "Golf Is a Game of Confidence" for $3 and some change at a local Savers. Really good stuff in those books.

Posted:

-- Just tap it in. Just tap it in. Give it a little tappy tap tap taparoo. --

• hangontighthangontight Members  791WRX Points: 247Posts: 791 Golden Tee

Just finished. VERY quick read . Topics cover an overview of different components of a junior golf development plan ; skills, fitness, short game, speed, mental game , etc. BUT aside from a few drill ideas (that do seem good) and a list of exercises in a few sections, there is nothing here that I have not already read or heard in other books, articles, podcasts, etc. I was expecting a more detailed blueprint and actual schedule sample or something to help organize all of these things into a useful schedule. Pretty much all of the points and topics covered we are already doing in some capacity . As

On -, @leezer99 said, the book tries to pull content from several different subjects into one, but It’s hard to be able to pull it all together in one book with useful detail that can be implemented. It’s too vague in this book- it hits on the right topics, but not a lot of Depth. I have found really good value in a handful of other books ;Daddy Caddy on the bag (Heard), The Golf of your Dreams (Rotella - excellent book on helping find the right coach), Don’t Should on Your Kids (Bell), Journey to Excellence (Brunton), Mental Toughness for Golf (Bell), The Talent Code (coyle) to name a few that come to mind. I am a fan of Coach JJ’s teaching and personality (what I see on IG at least) and commend him for writing this book, BUT I think for anyone who’s junior has at least a season or two of competitive golf under their belt this is not worth nearly the $60 price tag. You can get the same basic message in Daddy Caddy on the bag for $9.99, which includes more specific and useful detail IMO. You can probably compile the entire list of books above used on amazon for the same cost.
    Posted:

On -, @hangontight said:

Just finished. VERY quick read . Topics cover an overview of different components of a junior golf development plan ; skills, fitness, short game, speed, mental game , etc. BUT aside from a few drill ideas (that do seem good) and a list of exercises in a few sections, there is nothing here that I have not already read or heard in other books, articles, podcasts, etc. I was expecting a more detailed blueprint and actual schedule sample or something to help organize all of these things into a useful schedule. Pretty much all of the points and topics covered we are already doing in some capacity . As
    On -, @leezer99 said, the book tries to pull content from several different subjects into one, but It’s hard to be able to pull it all together in one book with useful detail that can be implemented. It’s too vague in this book- it hits on the right topics, but not a lot of Depth. I have found really good value in a handful of other books ;Daddy Caddy on the bag (Heard), The Golf of your Dreams (Rotella - excellent book on helping find the right coach), Don’t Should on Your Kids (Bell), Journey to Excellence (Brunton), Mental Toughness for Golf (Bell), The Talent Code (coyle) to name a few that come to mind. I am a fan of Coach JJ’s teaching and personality (what I see on IG at least) and commend him for writing this book, BUT I think for anyone who’s junior has at least a season or two of competitive golf under their belt this is not worth nearly the $60 price tag. You can get the same basic message in Daddy Caddy on the bag for $9.99, which includes more specific and useful detail IMO. You can probably compile the entire list of books above used on amazon for the same cost.

Rick Heard is a great guy. Know him fairly well.

Posted:

Hard copy coming out soon! Not sure about the price point.

Posted:

Ok, just got an update from JJ.

The hard copy is coming out in 2020 at $14.99/$19.99 depending on what store you get it at. It will also be available as a hard copy on amazon at $24.99. I won't get into why the price was originally set at $60 but just know that a significant amount of the proceeds were donated to a charity. I hope you all give it a chance at those price points and see the value in what he has to offer.

I am not a paid shill that is saying to buy it because he is a friend. I know lots of kids that have gotten copies and enjoy reading and re-reading it to gain insight on all it has to offer.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.