Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Mental Block When Hitting Hybrids

swing thoughtsswing thoughts Members Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭

I wish I could say I have a consistent miss, but lately I'm all over the place with hybrid. Low, chunk, right, left... I'm back to a 3 and 4 iron which are obviously harder to hit, butare working better for me now. I must have the yips or something big going on with the hybrid. Any drills or thoughts you guys have tried that helped you with the hybrids? Anything at all??!! Thanks.

Ping G SL Tec 9* XS
Callaway XR 15* R

Cobra Bio Cell Fairway 18.5 S
Titleist 816 H1 21* S
Nike Vapor Pro 4-9 S <or> Mizuno MP 69 4-9

Vokey SM6[background=transparent] 48* 10 S[/background]
[background=transparent]Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 52* 10 S[/background]
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 58* ATV S

Odyssey Versa #7 35"
Taylormade Daddy Long Legs 38"
[background=transparent]Scotty Futura X5 38"[/background]
[background=transparent]Callaway Bobby Jones blade 35"[/background]

Comments

• jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Whenever I start catching my hybrids thin, I'll place a tee/leaf/something a few inches in front of the ball on the range and try to take that out with a divot. When I'm on the course, I pick a spot a few inches in front of the ball and make sure I hit thru that spot as well.

It forces me to stay down and thru the ball when hitting hybrids. I start to catch it thin and miss both directions when I try to help the ball in the air. The divots I take with a hybrid aren't deep or very long, but it's just a helpful feeling for me.

WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Diamana 'Ahina 70s or Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16.5* with Motore Speeder 8.3 Stiff
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 4 iron PTx Pro with RIP Tour 115s,  5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400 (4 iron isn't in the bag very often)
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, 52* bent to 53* Mid and 56* bent to 58* RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • swing thoughtsswing thoughts Members Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭

@jah7838 said:
    Whenever I start catching my hybrids thin, I'll place a tee/leaf/something a few inches in front of the ball on the range and try to take that out with a divot. When I'm on the course, I pick a spot a few inches in front of the ball and make sure I hit thru that spot as well.

It forces me to stay down and thru the ball when hitting hybrids. I start to catch it thin and miss both directions when I try to help the ball in the air. The divots I take with a hybrid aren't deep or very long, but it's just a helpful feeling for me.

I like that idea. I've actually heard of that drill before, just forgot about it. I'll try it. I've found that most of my issues are essentially a result of not getting thoroughly thru the ball. That may help. Thanks.

Ping G SL Tec 9* XS
    Callaway XR 15* R

Cobra Bio Cell Fairway 18.5 S
    Titleist 816 H1 21* S
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-9 S <or> Mizuno MP 69 4-9

Vokey SM6[background=transparent] 48* 10 S[/background]
    [background=transparent]Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 52* 10 S[/background]
    Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 58* ATV S

Odyssey Versa #7 35"
    Taylormade Daddy Long Legs 38"
    [background=transparent]Scotty Futura X5 38"[/background]
    [background=transparent]Callaway Bobby Jones blade 35"[/background]
  • kmay__kmay__ niagara, ontario, canada. Members Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭

I play a 4 hybrid and I just always swing it the same as I do for a long iron, including a slight forward shaft lean to initiate the backswing, helps me hit down on it and keep strike consistent.

TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • mahoniemahonie EnglandMembers Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I view my 3 hybrid as a shorter version of my 3-wood and play it the same, slightly forward in the stance and sweep without a divot. In fact, I rotate it with a 5-wood which is practically the same club, just 5 yards longer.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • tonypizzletonypizzle Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

yeah i agree. i try to treat it more like a wood than an iron. i try to give it the same swing. i like the drill mentioned above. hopefully that helps some!

• HellstormHellstorm Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did the same thing as you with the hybrids. One shot would be really solid and beautiful and the next would be a disaster. I took some advice from somebody and practiced a kind of hockey slapshot with the hybrid and woods and it really helped me stay down on the shots and get a better rotation. I also moved the ball back a little in my stance and focused on hitting a little draw and my consistency has greatly improved. Not promising it as a cure all but it really only took about 15 balls to get that feeling.

• Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 10, 2019 4:15am #8

To me, the hybrid had its own ball position.
    3 wood and two iron are my strengths so I don’t “need” a hybrid, unless I’m in the light rough from 200 yards out.l, in which now I compromise by advancing a 6 iron, pitch up and down for par.

If you don’t have confidence with the hybrid, I would ditch it unless you struggle with swing speed.

Epic SZ 11* Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    Callaway Apex 18mb (2-PW)
    RTX-4 54* and 60*
    Odyssey RX9 Putter
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you work with a pro, have him or her take a look at your hybrid swing. If you're uncomfortable with hybrids, you may have developed some unconscious quirk, twitch or misalignment which is messing up your shots. I find this is the best way to diagnose what's wrong with the one club that doesn't work.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • scooterhd2scooterhd2 Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I can only tell you how to hit it 20 yards left. Great contact though.

• Lefty Light HItterLefty Light HItter Members Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You've got a mental block with yours and I have a mental hook with mine. I have to setup like Bubba Watson to get that thing to go straight or fade assuming I don't fear pulling it and then end up with a pull hook anyway. Not my favorite club!

In search of solid contact...
  • rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hybrids are not all the same and seem to be more hozel adjustment sensitive for me. Once I got them dialed in though, they are absolute weapons. I have 2 in my bag and have had them for a while now. Don't see them going anywhere as they are very versatile. My set-up is about 1" forward of where I play my 4i. From there I just focus on swinging to the right and hitting down on it. That might not be what I actually do but that intention gives me a great result off the ground. Off the tee is entirely different.

• DShepleyDShepley Members Posts: 71 ✭✭

I've never owned a hybrid that didn't feel like it wanted to hook off of the planet. Every one I've ever had I felt like I had to play a slice with or I'd lose it left. My issue was likely mostly mental but also I think caused by the hybrids being a bit upright and perhaps they are just a hook biased club? I solved the issue for me by replacing my hybrid with a driving iron, (I went with a Srixon ZU85 2 iron which I love off the tee).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file