Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Dealing with slow/new player in your group

mrshinsa ·  
mrshinsamrshinsa  240Members Posts: 240
Joined:  edited Oct 9, 2019 11:08pm in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1

What is the proper way to handle a slow player in the group? I'm talking about playing with someone who isn't just slow, but completely new to the game.

Ready golf, walking ahead, walking to the next tee box after holing out only gets you so far.

We were once paired up with a kid who shot 80, and it wasn't fun at all. That's 80 for a 9 hole.

The biggest concern is of course not to get penalized, but our director will penalize the entire group, not just one individual.

Posted:

Comments

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Maine 20195Members Posts: 20,195

"Dude, hurry up."

Posted:
    Titleist 915d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f3 15
    Titleist 816h2 19
    Titleist 716mb 3-Pw
    Vokey Sm7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8
    Titleist ProV1
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • HappyGilmoresBootsHappyGilmoresBoots Scramble King Michigan 88Members Posts: 88

Patience and putting in a little extra practice time with the guy? A strict enforcement of maximum strokes (either double par, or max 10 shots)?

Posted:
  • hangontighthangontight  642Members Posts: 642

You can usually spot it before the first tee. I usually will make a comment down the first fairway like -

“man, I hope pace of play for the groups ahead is fast today ...don’t like for the boys/girls to rush, but being out here for more than 2 hours is way too long...”

Hopefully that sets the expectation but, unfortunately , when you have a New player /parent it’s simply a fact of them not knowing better. Ideally the tour director is driving pace with reminders at the tee and along the way to help educate them. However, once on the course , sometimes you can find passive friendly ways to help it along...

• stand by and jump in to rake a bunker for them so they can move on to next shot with junior
    • when asked who is up? , reply “whoever is ready, fire away”
    • When in a tournament where the time pace is on the card, I have no problem announcing to the group we are X minutes behind pace. If you really want to be passive , just say it to your kid, but loud enough so all can hear.

More than the actual time they will save , I’ve found these tactics send the message in most cases.

Posted:
  • tiger1873tiger1873  1234Members Posts: 1,234

Bad enough that you get penalized it also effects the others in the group having endure slow play.

The faster players need to just play through the hole. They can finish the hole and then watch the kid finish or walk to the next hole. You have to make it obvious to the rule officials watching. The usually outcome is they will leave you alone. The slow player will actually rush when they end under behind.

Most import thing is you kid knows to not rush themselves to make it up because that just hurts their score. In most cases if you way behind just take the penalty because if you rushing is going to cause mistakes. Have to learn your pace you can play at.

Playing at a good pace And leaving the slow player behind also works for even players who are good but intentionally slows things up to rush other players who are worried about getting penalized. Can happen more on the last day of a multi-day tournament.

Posted:
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter  200Members Posts: 200

I just hope all the parents with fast young kids now will remember this later on.

Like when their 14 yo is playing with High school juniors/seniors. Those kids will hit it past your kids by 50 yards. Then your kid will hit it in the rough or trees and beg for the group to slow down.

The other parents will think **** that kid is slow.

Just remember what goes around comes around. :-)

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • mrshinsamrshinsa  240Members Posts: 240

@TripleBogeysrbetter said:
    I just hope all the parents with fast young kids now will remember this later on.

Like when their 14 yo is playing with High school juniors/seniors. Those kids will hit it past your kids by 50 yards. Then your kid will hit it in the rough or trees and beg for the group to slow down.

Thank you for the comment and a different insight.

Just to be clear, this post wasn't meant to be snooty. We've played with slow players before and I usually don't have any issues. Playing ready golf, moving up after your shot, and even running after you hit is enough to close the gap to the front group.
    Also, US Kids generally has a slow pace, and most rounds are 5 hours, give or take.

My concern is that if one person is new to the game and is taking 10 strokes on multiple holes, the entire group gets penalized for being slow. That seems pretty unfair so I'm curious as to how others would handle the situation, and possibly prevent getting penalized.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

There is a difference between slow play and poor play. What your describing is poor play and depending on the tournament you enter it may acceptable or it may be an insult to other players.

For instance if you have poor play and enter a us open qualifier the other players will be insulated for good reason. Now that same player is in high school match it is not as big of a deal. Your chances of being penalized is much less so players will more accommodating.

My kid was penalized multiple stokes because of a slow player that was playing poorly and it was not a good experience for anyone in the group. One of the other fathers at the time in the group really yelled at the tournament director because one of the player was playing poorly and we all felt it was unfair to penalize the whole group and his response was to leave the player behind otherwise the whole group is guilty of slow play. So if your playing slow expect it. This was a ranked tournament so 2 extra stokes really hurt my daughter and others in the group.

Posted:
    Post edited by tiger1873 on
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter  200Members Posts: 200

@mrshinsa said:

Just to be clear, this post wasn't meant to be snooty. We've played with slow players before and I usually don't have any issues. Playing ready golf, moving up after your shot, and even running after you hit is enough to close the gap to the front group.
    Also, US Kids generally has a slow pace, and most rounds are 5 hours, give or take.

My concern is that if one person is new to the game and is taking 10 strokes on multiple holes, the entire group gets penalized for being slow. That seems pretty unfair so I'm curious as to how others would handle the situation, and possibly prevent getting penalized.

I understand I didn't take it as snooty. Just seen kids that were cream of the crop in their previous age groups are now back at the bottom when they're the youngest ones.

If they were somewhat slow before they will be really exposed later on.

Posted:
    • NEW
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX

@mrshinsa said:

I understand I didn't take it as snooty. Just seen kids that were cream of the crop in their previous age groups are now back at the bottom when they're the youngest ones.

If they were somewhat slow before they will be really exposed later on.

I know the type of kids your talking about. Yes those kids should be careful because there not going to cut it when the yardage grows and they can't hit the ball far enough and it exposes some very weak spots. Seen quite a few girls quit now as my daughter gets older.

Posted:
    • NEW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file