2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Young Professional Joining an Affordable Private Club in Northern NJ

nycgolfer24 ·  
nycgolfer24nycgolfer24  9WRX Points: 12Handicap: 10Members Posts: 9

Hi All,

First post on here...Currently live and work in NYC but am relocating to Jersey City for work. Since I'm moving out of Manhattan I'm looking for a private club to join in the area. Looking for an affordable junior membership around $5k, no initiation fee if possible. Looking for somewhere that is easy to get out and play and practice, I have a car so transportation isn't too big of an issue. A club with food and dining is a plus, as I'd like somewhere I can hang out and meet new people since I'm new to the area.

Open to hear what those in the area have to say about various clubs

Posted:

Comments

• nycgolfer24nycgolfer24  9WRX Points: 12Handicap: 10Members Posts: 9

To provide a quick follow up, I've heard back from Basking Ridge CC. Seems to fit the budget, does anyone have any experience with this course or any insights?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ButterCutter2ButterCutter2 NYC 338WRX Points: 95Handicap: 4Members Posts: 338

there are some similar threads on this topic within this forum, but your price parameters will make it really difficult to find a club that hits your budget restrictions.

Posted:
  • NJgolfer11NJgolfer11  160WRX Points: 82Handicap: 8Members Posts: 160

Are you including food/beverage, carts into the $5k?

Also, are you looking for a caddy program? Pool?

How far are you willing to travel?

Posted:

Not including food/beverage or carts. Carts are a plus but I don't mind walking most of the time. Preferably no caddie program as that tends to add up fast with fees and tips. Willing to travel up to an hour.

Posted:

I visited Basking Ridge before but did not play the course. The course looked alright.

NJ National is not far from there and that is one of my favorites. Excellent course and range. You can walk anytime and either carry or have a pull cart. So that will save you fees. The restaurant is open to the public, if that bothers ya. They also have no initiation and no food/beverage minimums. That would be my top choice is if I was in your shoes.

Outside of that, there are other good options, such as Suburban and Metuchen, but most are going to have caddy and/or cart requirements, which will add up, along with initiation fees and food/beverage minimums.

The best thing to do is reach out to as many clubs as you can and see what they say. You may be able to get a round of golf out of it as well.

Good luck on your search and feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions.

Posted:

Thanks so much for the help and info. NJ National was actually one of the early ones on my radar, waiting to here back. I think its great that you get membership to two other clubs in the area.

Posted:

Advertisement

Agreed. I live at the shore and if you come down, you have access to Pine Barrens. Its a nice course and I think one of the more underrated ones in the area.

Posted:

Checked out Forsgate Country Club yesterday. Very reasonable dues for 36 holes and the course was in fantastic condition for this time of year. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on the club? From the tour it seems like what you get is a steal for the price (full range and practice area, indoor practice facility, pool, gym, 36 holes)

Posted:

banks course at forsgate is fantastic. not really north jersey, but that's an awesome layout. the other course there, not so much. when i last played it q4 2017, conditions were wonderful as well. not sure how things have changed in 2 years

Posted:

Agree, not really North Jersey but still thought it was a great layout and still just about 40min from JC. Although shore traffic on 95 could be an issue. Heard back from Green Brook CC this week and they have a great deal for 25 year olds. May look into taking a look there sometime soon. From what I've seen online it looks like a nice course and it has decent reviews.

Posted:

Green Brook is a very nice course. The range is a little on the small side from what I recall. I heard that the course may on the market to be sold.

Posted:

Advertisement

green brook is on the market to be sold & will be NLE within 10 years, but if youre getting a deal as a 25 year old on a membership, you may as well enjoy it while you can and go for it.

Posted:

Interesting, I planned on just maybe joining for one year as the price jumps up quite a bit at 26. $3k for 25 seems like the cheapest I'd find in the area, no food min.

Posted:
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics...  6555WRX Points: 241Members Posts: 6,555

Yea you're not beating 3k in this area, certainly not getting a better combo of course/conditions/facilities than GB at that price.

Posted:
    Ping G410+ 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6 (X)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.