***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

INTRODUCING TIGER TUESDAYS / Which Tiger Woods major win is the most underrated (and why)?

GolfWRX ·  
GolfWRXGolfWRX Team GolfWRXMarshals  9128WRX Points: 697Posts: 9,128 Marshals

GolfWRXers, we’re proud to introduce something we think is, frankly (no headcover-related pun intended), long overdue: Tiger Tuesdays.

The 15-time major champion and his equipment have been uniquely interesting to GolfWRX members since our early, forum-only, days. Now, we don’t delude ourselves into thinking the percentage of hardcore TW fans is higher than elsewhere in the golf mediasphere. However, we do believe, with regard to Tiger Woods, the milestones and miscellany of his career—and certainly, his equipment—our serious Woodsian scholars are the best informed in the business.

It’s with this in mind we’re adding Tiger Tuesdays to our weekly content mix. And while the specific pieces you’ll see on the front page will have a multiplicity of forms greater than a tiger’s stripes, and important element will always be GolfWRXer input.

To that end, we’ll be running plenty of polls and surveys in the forums, of which this is one (obviously).

So, GolfWRXers, which Tiger Woods major win is the most underrated (and why)?

Posted:
Post edited by BAlberstadt on

Comments

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10876WRX Points: 3,984Handicap: 8Posts: 10,876 ClubWRX

His 3rd amateur title. In comparison to everything else. It seems this gets lost. He was way down, and battled back to win. Another thing he really did not do all to often. Come from behind to win.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • digger91digger91 Members  87WRX Points: 46Handicap: 6Posts: 87 Fairways

I would say the 01 Masters. I know it’s a part of the Tiger Slam, but the fact that he needed to win that to complete it is crazy to think about. You’ve got to assume the pressure he felt to get the W was huge and that makes this one even bigger in my eyes.

Posted:

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9* HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Taylormade M2 15* STIFF

Ping G410 19* Alta Stiff

Mizuno JPX 900 Tour DG300 Stiff 4-PW

Callaway PM Grind 56/60

Titleist SM5 50* F Grind

Taylormade TP Juno Black Copper

Titleist AVX

• MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers  3934WRX Points: 1,093Handicap: 3.9Posts: 3,934 Titanium Tees

I think his 5th major might qualify. That is the 2000 PGA Championship, which was the 3rd leg of the Tiger Slam.

When it comes to the Tiger Slam, people talk a lot about the other 3 titles which include his 15-shot victory at Pebble in the US Open, the 8-stroke victory at St. Andrews and the incredible 2001 Masters where he closed it out.

But in order for that Tiger Slam to exist, he had to take down someone with a hot hand who was seemingly destined to win that 2000 PGA. Tiger won in a Play-off after shooting 18-under including 66-67 to start and a 67 on Sunday, defeating runner-up Bob May. Both TW and Bob May finished at -18 while 3rd place was only at -13.

If somehow Tiger didn't pull that out, the whole Slam never would've happened and quite frankly, a lot of the myth surrounding TW being the greatest ever probably wouldn't be as big as it is. And again, when was the last time you heard someone talking about the 2000 PGA?

There are a few other wins that don't get so much hype (mostly from the late-Haney era) but most of Tigers significant wins are talked about for one reason or another: the various Masters titles, the historic US Open at Pebble, the 2 wins at St. Andrews, the 2-iron adventure at Hoylake, the battle with Sergio at Medinah in '99, the amazing Play-off win over Rocco at the '08 US Open, etc.

Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: AeroBurner (3-HL)
    Hybrid: T.E.E. E8 (22)
    Irons: 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • ElMosquitoElMosquito GolfWRX Staff Writer aka Gianni Members  15WRX Points: 25Posts: 15 Bunkers

Another vote for the 2000 PGA Championship. The third part of the Tiger Slam and the closest he came to not winning one of the four. Birdied both 17 and 18 to get into a playoff as well as playing his last 12 holes on Sunday seven-under par. Phenomenal. 

Posted:
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr I would only like to add that I have nothing to add Minnesota, USAMembers  7424WRX Points: 1,464Handicap: 7Posts: 7,424 Titanium Tees

I know it's gotten a lot of hype, but I feel the 2008 US Open win is still underrated. Blown ACL, two fractures in the tibia... I've had my own knee troubles, which were a whole lot tamer than Tiger's, and he wins a major with it?

I can't even imagine what it would feel like to swing a club in that state, much less play anywhere near my best.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching

Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber Tour 7.5 TS, 43.5"
    3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
    2h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S
    3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, DGS400 or NV105 S
    Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
    GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300
    LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
    Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite

Also sometimes swap in old school woods at top of bag, various Golden Ram, MacGregor, or Orlimar persimmons
  • cugolf14cugolf14 Members  95WRX Points: 62Posts: 95 Fairways

It gets a lot of hype, but the 2000 US Open is still underrated based on what TW did there. Still amazing to look back at that and see how dominant he was.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Keen2bDumbKeen2bDumb Members  65WRX Points: 36Handicap: Below scratch, don't have official ratingPosts: 65 Bunkers

His Open Championship at Hoylake. Irons off every tee, discipline, losing his Father, and keeping his mind together to do that was wonderful. His most overrated, on another note, imo was his win at Augusta in 1997. Field was very weak, he shot 40 on the front 9 round 1, and he had no significant discipline overall, and wasn't truly up to standard.

His famous majors are the US Open in 2000 and 2008, 1997, 2005 and 2015 Masters, Open Championship in 2000, and his PGA's in 1999 and 2000. I'd love to hear about Bethpage and Hoylake more often, different circumstances, and solid golf.

Posted:
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3954WRX Points: 907Handicap: 9Posts: 3,954 Titanium Tees

2019 Masters. The cards were (and remain) stacked against it, yet he won against a deep field that is younger & healthier. Pretty amazing grind from 2018 Hero to 2019 Augusta.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.