Blades?

I'm getting new clubs this summer and it's becoming an obsession with me to check out every club out there to see my favorites. So far I like the Titleist AP2's and the Nike Victory Reds. I'm leaning towards the Nike's right now, but if I get them, would it be good for me (as a 10 handicap) to get the blades? I might have these for a while and I'm trying to become a better ballstriker.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blades don't necessarily make you a better ballstriker, they make you realize your mistakes a lot easier.

Β 

Again like I tell every person who comes in the shop, every friend wanting new clubs...get fit for what suits your game best, whether those clubs be blades, players cavities, or game improvement clubs.

Β 

Guys on tour play all 3 types so why can't you?

Β 

Get fit, pick something that suits your game and your eye, if it's blades so be it, but don't buy blades just to say you hit blades, because if you can't your game will be awful< this is coming from personal experience.

I would have to say that there are alot of irons on the market right now that will elevate your iron play a lot faster than blades will.....however, I would suggest going to a real grass driving range on a demo day and hit as many irons that you possibly can before you decide which to buy. You might be suprised........

I was in the same predictment a couple months ago just different brands. I think everyone should try blades for at least a couple of weeks because you never know until you try. Ever since my blades ive become better, havent been able to put my finger on it but im just better. I like the combo idea though personally. You'll be happy with whatever you pick from that selection though. And p.s. if your looking at the VR blades from personal and reviews on this board they are pretty hard to hit.

I know blades might be too much club for me, but I just can't give up on the VR blades... I fantasize about them. I LOVE the look of the blades but don't really like the look of the other two. From what I read on the reviews on here, they're fairly forgiving (as far as blades go). I would be willing to practice as much as it takes to get good enough for these irons.. I can't forget them.

I know blades might be too much club for me, but I just can't give up on the VR blades... I fantasize about them. I LOVE the look of the blades but don't really like the look of the other two. From what I read on the reviews on here, they're fairly forgiving (as far as blades go). I would be willing to practice as much as it takes to get good enough for these irons.. I can't forget them.

Β 

Reviews really honestly don't mean anything.

Β 

If Tiger Woods reviewed the X20's he would say, too big, too offset, too thick topline.

If Rocco reviewed the X20's he'd probably describe his perfect club right now.

Β 

Blades will always be around, VR's will always be available, and trust me in a year or so some other iron will come out and you'll say the same thing...Get what is best for YOUR game, go to a golf store hit a bunch, who knows maybe the blades will work best for you.

Β 

Don't force something that will hurt your game at a young age.

MB's are for players who are already very accomplised ball strickers and most of those players will move back and forth between mutiple sets of irons when there game is not exactly right.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

For the record before I begin, I'm NOT a low handicap, I'm in the 10-12 range. I personally really wanted to get a players cavity when I got my new clubs. However, I decided on the a4s over the VR Splits, AP2s, and S57s. I dont think that any 10 handicap can seriously justify getting pure blades like the VR TWs. They offer no forgivness and if you dont hit it solid your not going to like your shots. I think that most golfers will agree that a club like the TW looks GREAT. However, if i were you i would go with a player cavity type of club like the ones i have mentioned. Id personally get lessons to make yourself a better ball striker, not irons that are made for the best golfer to ever play the game. The main problem will likely arise in the long irons. Sure, players like us might be able to hit the 9i and PW of the TW set... but once it gets down to the 3-6 irons, it is too hard to pure the ball every time and get away with the blades forgiveness. Back when i bought my a3s before my a4s, i demoed an old set of macgregor v-foil blades. I hit them GREATi seriously hit almost everyone solid. However, this didnt make me want the clubs any more because i realized i would regret it a week later.

I am around a 10 hdcp and I just bought the VR blades. Whatever works the best for you. I had them fitted and though most consider them to be unforgiving, I personnaly did not find them to be. ( I rarely hit off the toe) anyway, the best advice is to hit a lot of different ones, but dont rule any out because you think they will be too difficult or game improving for that matter.

Β 

Β 

Buy them!! YOU want them really bad. You'll love hitting buckets of balls with tools you fantasize about. You'll learn what a bad toe hit feels like or a fat shot that digs.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Β 

No offense but you sound really dumb to me. You can "fantasize" all you want about irons. So, if you want them really bad be prepared to "fantasize" about the scores you used to shoot, and how you used to play. Honestly get the splits or full if anything.

If you want to try blades, you can do what I did. Buy a cheap used set of MP-33s or MP-37s with the shaft you want (I got mine for just over $200). It doesn't matter if they are a bit beat up. Play them for a few months before going to a more expensive set of new irons.

Β 

I did this last year and brought my handicap from around 21 to 12 because the blades forced me to completely build a new swing. There were PLENTY of tough days and weeks trying to learn to hit the clubs. I still don't have the ballstriking ability to play my best golf with them so I am going to a combo set of 9-PW blades, 8-6 player's cavities, and 5-3 GI cavities. Hopefully I will start hitting more GIR especially with the mid and long irons.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15Β° 3WΒ Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19Β° 3HΒ HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GWΒ Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
EdelΒ EAS 4.0
CaminoΒ Sunday Bag
TitleistΒ ProV1

Blades are becoming obselete. As a result of technology we have longer more forgiving irons that one can use and still shape a shot just as well as a blade. It's puzzling to me when I see amateurs still using blades. Think about it you don't see pro's playing drivers with 300 cc heads anymore, instead they are using 400+ and still shaping shots with ease.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6XΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7XΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////Β  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60TΒ / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Β 

For the record before I begin, I'm NOT a low handicap, I'm in the 10-12 range. I personally really wanted to get a players cavity when I got my new clubs. However, I decided on the a4s over the VR Splits, AP2s, and S57s. I dont think that any 10 handicap can seriously justify getting pure blades like the VR TWs. They offer no forgivness and if you dont hit it solid your not going to like your shots. I think that most golfers will agree that a club like the TW looks GREAT. However, if i were you i would go with a player cavity type of club like the ones i have mentioned. Id personally get lessons to make yourself a better ball striker, not irons that are made for the best golfer to ever play the game. The main problem will likely arise in the long irons. Sure, players like us might be able to hit the 9i and PW of the TW set... but once it gets down to the 3-6 irons, it is too hard to pure the ball every time and get away with the blades forgiveness. Back when i bought my a3s before my a4s, i demoed an old set of macgregor v-foil blades. I hit them GREATi seriously hit almost everyone solid. However, this didnt make me want the clubs any more because i realized i would regret it a week later.

Β 

I have difficulty understanding how people can summarily tell somebody not to play a certain club. Personally I dont believe in a one size fits all mentality to golf. Forgiveness is great, but it is not the be all end all. What works for you probably will not be the same for me, even though we both shoot in the low 80s. I tried everything including all hybrid sets like the clevelands, and I just found that for me the VRs just felt right. I also like how they look which may not be important, but to some degree matters to all of us whether we admit or not (look at all of the WITB) threads. Even if the VRs dont stay in my bag in the long run, I will still stand by the idea that at the time I was in the market, these were the best for me.

Blades are becoming obselete. As a result of technology we have longer more forgiving irons that one can use and still shape a shot just as well as a blade. It's puzzling to me when I see amateurs still using blades. Think about it you don't see pro's playing drivers with 300 cc heads anymore, instead they are using 400+ and still shaping shots with ease.
I simply do not agree with that; what many here refer to as a blade is really a modern Muscleback and they are pretty easy to control for the accomplished player. One; stop calling them blades and two they are definitely not obsolete. I'm not a Pro and I shot 76 today with mine; so you are telling me I would have shot 73 with another iron? Doubtful...

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I simply do not agree with that; what many here refer to as a blade is really a modern Muscleback and they are pretty easy to control for the accomplished player. One; stop calling them blades and two they are definitely not obsolete. I'm not a Pro and I shot 76 today with mine; so you are telling me I would have shot 73 with another iron? Doubtful...

Β 

I don't know about a 73, but I'm willing to bet there is at least one time where you mis hit the iron, and possibly that GI forgiveness modern irons give would have helped you out. I would also say that extra forgiveness would help you a lot more than the workability old blades might have more of. Golf courses are build for decently straight targets. I don't know many courses that require a player to hit a draw or fade on command, unless you play from the woods a lot. and if your playing blades, you really shouldn't be in the woods.

Not looking to get into an argument here guys, but I got a set of 695MB's at Christmas this past year and yeah - while I've had a couple of rounds that were disappointing to say the least - I have genuinely enjoyed golf lately. Granted, they're not the most forgiving or the longest irons I've ever hit. My advice would be to get what you want. I know people will tell you to get x,y, and z, but it boils down to your preference. If you're willing to get a real player's club and practice a bunch with them - great! Get what you fantasize about and play your heart out - if it doesnt' work out - switch to something a bit more forgiving, above all, practice and learn to have fun. Good luck with whatever you end up with. If you want anymore advice or first-hand accounts, PM me.

I had a set of MP-67s, though while not quite blades, they are fairly close. In the middle of last summer I bought a set of Titleist AP-2s and they were SO helpful to me. While my good shots with the MP-67 were good and I had the ability to shape my shots, I wanted more consistency. I also agree that these days course don't mandate to many large draws or fades. However if you feel that you can control them to the level that you want, than like the guy said above me practice and play your heart out and enjoy the beautiful irons. Personally though, I wouldn't recommend it.

Buy em'. Get inspired and get some blisters. Just make sure to hold on to your current sticks. I don't know anyone who has tried to switch to blades, who hasn't ended up playing their old sticks for some period of time. They usually hit the old set really solid for a while after they got tired of hitting 5 greens per round with the blades. Blades will either make you better or make you miserable. Probably a little of both.

Β 

I practice with a MP-37 6 iron all the time. When I start swinging poorly, I will hit 20-30 balls in a row with it on the range. It has a way of clearing my mind of clutter and forcing me to really focus on what is going on with my tempo or I'm hitting crappy shots in front of everyone at the range. Fear is a good motivator for me. Switch back to my gamers and my swing is back. It's all about tempo for me.

Listen, golf nuts,

Β 

Why do we play golf? Why are we members of this discussion board? I doubt we all have realistic aspirations of life on the pro tour - if you you, kudos. The reason for the aforementioned phenomena is that we love the game of golf. For me, it is therapeutic and I wouldn't trade the enjoyment I get from the game for another diversion - ever.

Β 

But as for this blade talk: I'm a self-proclaimed blade guy - have been since I was tall enough for men's clubs. I'm thankful for this as it has shaped my game and taught me incalculable lessons of my golf swing. I've always been asked why it is that I don't switch to cavity back irons or something more forgiving. Plainly, I don't want to. Sure, I have mishits, blade some off the toe, and hit some fat. But I have had the pleasure of playing my friends' irons (non-blade) for giggles on occasion, and it bores me. It takes away the challenge of hitting the elusive, dime-sized sweet spot. They simply make the game a bit less fun (for me) and that is all that matters.

Β 

Look, if blades don't suit your fancy, that's perfectly fine. As we say in Spain: <<No pasa nada>> (don't worry about it). But to say they are obsolete or preventing someone from marginally shaving off a stroke or two from a round is a bit acidic and incalculable.

Β 

Let's stop bickering about one's iron preference, eh? Respect one's decision to play blade, cavity-back, or mixed-set.

Β 

Otherwise, it just seems like those who are knocking blades (a) have never hit them, or (b) have had bad experiences with them.

Β 

Golf is so much about the overall experience and so little about the arbitrary things like equipment changes, down to the very last ribbed grip or "sensicored" shaft or 2* lie adjustment. Go out. Have a ball. Try blades sometime. Oh, and persimmon.

Β 

I don't know about a 73, but I'm willing to bet there is at least one time where you mis hit the iron, and possibly that GI forgiveness modern irons give would have helped you out. I would also say that extra forgiveness would help you a lot more than the workability old blades might have more of. Golf courses are build for decently straight targets. I don't know many courses that require a player to hit a draw or fade on command, unless you play from the woods a lot. and if your playing blades, you really shouldn't be in the woods.

Β 

I dont know about you but i am ten times more comfortable shaping a draw to a flackstick that is protected by a bunker than challenge that bunker and go right over it with a cavity back. Thats just me though.

Β 

People have to realize that a fat shot is always a fat shot, a thin is always a thin. People make it seem that a pin seeking missle on a cavity back turns into a topped shot in the water with a blade and that is simply not the case.

I bought a set of Nike Forged in Sptember last year. I have played only one round with them because of the winter. That one round was so much fun. I previously gamed a set of Titleist 770CBs, and so was used to a small head. My official HCap is 10, however the last competetive round of golf was about 4 years ago when I was a Junior. I have a fairly solid swing and could probably play to around 3-5 if I could afford to play. I have always loved the smaller head look, and so I jumped at the chance to snaffle up a set of 9/10 used blades of ebay.

Β 

If you are seriously looking to improve your overall golf game, a small headed club is a great step towards that. It will point out your swing flaws, and not mask them like those shovel headed clubs that everyone seems to bang on about. Sure, use those when you are 50 years old and need as much help as possible, but if you are young, athletic, and have a solidish swing go for blades.

Β 

The fact is, you never know if you never try. So go for it. I would say if you have something that really pleases your eye at address then youre halfway there. Compare a great shot with a blade with a great shot with a cavity/full. I for one know which would be more satisfying. It is an amazing feeling knowing that the shot you hit to three feet was all YOUR hard work. A blade takes out the question"Was that me or my club that hit that pinseeker?"

Β 

For a serious player that like to know that only HE is the dependant variable, and not the club, a blade is advisable.

its all personal with golf. do whatever suites you and forget anything anyone else tells you. get what you want and play what you wanna play. and ps. the key to scoring better is the short game and putting, not so much the iron play. keep that in mind too.

Β 

Exactly what I was going to say. Play blades. You want it, you said it yourself. Get them, be happy and take all the negative comment you got here out of your head and practice short game!!

Almost all set for 2021