TaylorMade TMX 2010 Stand Bag

Enjoy the Review

TaylorMade TMX 2010 Stand Bag

Finally the US gets a good-looking bag

May avid golfers, especially those on golf forums know that Japanese golfers have many more options when it comes to golf bags, and most of them look amazing. But back home in the US our options are either plain and boring, or wild and bright, but we rarely get a stylish and classy bag, until now.

102_1215.jpg

The TaylorMade TMX 2010 Stand Bag is without a doubt the best looking bag on the market. I did some homework and went bag shopping at all of the local golfstores. There wasn’t a bag that was as good looking as my new TMX stand bag. The 2009 TMX stand bag was close, but the new one is just simply better. This stand bag looks almost like a staff bag. The material is perforated leather look alike. It has smooth contoured lines and just enough black and red to make it pop. It has a big look with the footprint of a normal stand bag.

Now sure the looks might be my opinion but let's talk about the other features that make this bag amazing. The details are what make this bag stand out. First off all the rivets are done with a fancy dark nickel finish with the TaylorMade T on them. All the slots or holes on the bag are also sealed with a black nickel bezel. The zippers all have black nickel metal pull-tabs. Everything is sturdy and has a heavy duty like construction.

102_1221.jpg

While this bag doesn’t have 45 pockets on it, it has the necessary pockets for a good carry bag. The ball pocket is your standard pocket on the lower part of the bag. It is deep and wide for easy access. Right above that pocket is the lined valuables pocket deep enough for any cell-phone, wallet and a couple of other items. The left side has the shorter pocket that I like to fill with extra balls and a few accessories. Also, part of that pocket is the foil lined beverage holder. I like the placement and design, but it was a touch tight for my VitaminWater bottle. The right side has a big pocket that runs the entire length of the bag. I keep rain gear, and even an extra pair of shoes in there. It is big and expands nicely. This pocket also has an inner zipper that allows you to get at something that might have fallen down to the bottom of the bag.

102_1216.jpg

The top dividers system is a 6-way divider. This is a change from the 8-way divider of 2009. I like this one better. There is plenty of space to get clubs out easily. I think there is always a debate whether there should be 14-way divider or some other format. This one works fine. The only thing I would like to see would be some sort of putter well or divider so that I can keep that club away from my other clubs. But even without that I did get comfortable having my putters in with my other clubs.

102_1219.jpg

The stand system is nicely protected by the bag, as it is mostly internal. The pressure plate was large enough and deployed the legs with ease. The legs themselves were thin with angle rubber feet. There was no digging or marks left on the soft spring fairways.

102_1217-1.jpg

The shoulder strap system is also an improvement over previous models. It has a central hub that the traps attach to and pivot from. It is padded and sits comfortably in the middle of your back. It also holds the straps in the perfect position for quickly putting the bag on your shoulders. I seem to always put the right shoulder strap on first. The left one goes on second and it was always easy to find and easy to put on. It was almost like someone was holding it out to help you.

102_1218.jpg

102_1220.jpg

The umbrella strap and hooks worked well along with the black nickel carabineer for accessories. As you can see from my pictures I loaded it up. I like that it had two upper holes for keeping them separated a little. There are two accessories ctabs that are new to the TMX bag for 2010. You can purchase add-on cases for cell phone, gps, rangefinders, cigars, etc, that will clip right on to your bag securely.

While there are no color options, this bag is mostly white; with a little black and red, it was easy to keep clean. Dirt just wipes right off the leather like material. I hope this trend continues by TaylorMade of offering us a classy bag. While is just a touch heavier than other bags, by the time you get all your gear in it, the extra weight is negligible.

If you want to have a classy, good looking functional stand bag, this is it. There is also a cart version and a staff bag version. (Now all I need are some TaylorMade clubs to go in the bag.) Finally, here is a bag for the US customers that looks amazing and works well too.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review. :ok::clapping:

I look at this bag at the beginning of every year, but I just can't get past the weight. The dry weight is like 6 1/2 lbs.

It is easily the most aesthetically pleasing bag available. If they could somehow blend the R9 Stand bag and the TMX 2010... I'd be all over it.

How many rounds do you walk a year?

What is the weight of these bags?

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

Awesome review, thanks! Just one question, how do you find the clubs fit in the dividing system? I found that with last years bag and its top dividing system that clubs tended to get wedged in with one another and hope the new tmax bag reduces this.

TaylorMade M6 10.5 GD-IZ 6
TaylorMade M1 15 GD-Di 7
TaylorMade PSi 3 Modus 120
TaylorMade P790 4-PW Modus 120
TaylorMade MG 52 Modus 120
TaylorMade HI-TOE 58 Modus 120
TaylorMade Spider Tour L-Neck

I carry about 20 rounds a year, use my clicgear cart for about 40 rounds a year and ride in a power cart 10 rounds a year. (roughly)

I had no problems carrying this bag. I have a number of different carry bags. I just make a point to take out all the extra golf balls and stuff to keep this one lighter. You'd be surprised how few golf balls it takes to cut those couple of extra pounds.

Now if you already use a bag that is superlight and have no extra balls or accessories in it and only carry 12 or 13 clubs, then yes this bag is heavier.

[quote name='Circle-H' date='20 April 2010 - 01:45 PM' timestamp='1271789149' post='2390493']
Awesome review, thanks! Just one question, how do you find the clubs fit in the dividing system? I found that with last years bag and its top dividing system that clubs tended to get wedged in with one another and hope the new tmax bag reduces this.
[/quote]

A buddy of mine had the 2009 version of this bag with the 8-way top. The 2010 version is with the 6-way top is WAY better. No club tangling or issues. I typically had driver and putter up top. 3wood and extra shaft in upper 1/6 and 2 hybrids in other.

3 irons in each section below 2 dividers and 3 wedges in bottom divider. Worked smoothly in cart, clicgear or carry.

i am very curious about the inner zipper inside the apparel pocket.. i saw one and noticed this zipper.. to me its strange because if you drop something inside, just turn the bag upside down and shake...doesn't make sense to me.. i wish they would have made that into a smaller hidden pocket inside the apparel pocket

Great review. I like the styling of this bag, but a few things will likely keep me from buying it. I don't like the lack of colour options, I don't like the minimal club management system, and with a weight of 6.6lbs there are definitely some better options out there.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Thanks for the pics. I have the 2009 6-way top version. The 6-way top is awesome, it's actually quite a bit better than the other bags (Nike's, Taylormade Japan) that I have. The only thing that is stopping me from upgrading mine to the 2010 version is that they put the "Burner" and "R9" logo on the bag.

• 2 weeks later...

i have had many, many stand bags and i have never seen a zipper inside the apparel pocket.. my concern is that the zipper running up and down is eventually going to scratch my very expensive R.I.P., VooDoo or project X shafts!!
also,, i had this bag for a moment, and the other thing that bother me was it is missing 1 more small accessory pocket..i like to keep my balls and tees in the ball pocket on the spine and my little accesory bag and TM weight kit in the pocket ont he side of the bag. now the pocket above the balls and tees i like to keep my glove, ball mark, divot tool, keys, tape and such.. and then i like a dedicated valueables pocket for my iphone and wallet.. this the pocket it is missing.. for that much money and that i gotta lug a 6.7 lb bag around, it better have all that i want in a bag..
since it doesn't ,, it's gone and i'll keep using my lighter stand bag that has more pockets..
i', almost certain that the last year TMX bag had a small valueable pocket inside the pocket above the balls and tees pocket and even that was whack!!

[quote name='Ti-Cip ' date='09 May 2010 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1273461189' post='2431596']
i have had many, many stand bags and i have never seen a zipper inside the apparel pocket.. my concern is that the zipper running up and down is eventually going to scratch my very expensive R.I.P., VooDoo or project X shafts!!
also,, i had this bag for a moment, and the other thing that bother me was it is missing 1 more small accessory pocket..i like to keep my balls and tees in the ball pocket on the spine and my little accesory bag and TM weight kit in the pocket ont he side of the bag. now the pocket above the balls and tees i like to keep my glove, ball mark, divot tool, keys, tape and such.. and then i like a dedicated valueables pocket for my iphone and wallet.. this the pocket it is missing.. for that much money and that i gotta lug a 6.7 lb bag around, it better have all that i want in a bag..
since it doesn't ,, it's gone and i'll keep using my lighter stand bag that has more pockets..
i', almost certain that the last year TMX bag had a small valueable pocket inside the pocket above the balls and tees pocket and even that was whack!!
[/quote]

my ping hoofer voyage has a zipper in the apparel pocket that gives access to the clubs/shafts. i have not had a problem with any shafts. if you were to buy a bag with that kind of zipper placements you could just put your shafts that you're worried about on the other side of the bag and they will not touch that zipper.

The inside zipper won't scratch a shaft, I suppose unless you leave it open. I think it is there for getting at the leg/stand system, since it is partially internal.

I can understand the point about the extra little pocket, but honestly I keep extra tees and stuff I need either in my pocket or in an old spike case in the main ball pocket anyway.

But yes in comparison to many other bags on the market, this one has a lot less pockets and bells and whistles, but it makes up for that with staff bag like looks.

i use a stand bag to carry, and like the right amount of pockets to hold my stuff and keep them organized..if i rode all the time, i cuz i'd have a cart bag..being i walk, i want a functional bag, not one that lookslike a staff bag.. i'm not on tour so i don't need to have a bag that looks like i am..lol
but then again, i think it's pretty stupid to use a staff bag anyways..

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='rlheiman' date='20 April 2010 - 12:00 PM' timestamp='1271790050' post='2390531']
I carry about 20 rounds a year, use my clicgear cart for about 40 rounds a year [b]and ride in a power cart 10 rounds a year. (roughly)[/b]
I had no problems carrying this bag. I have a number of different carry bags. I just make a point to take out all the extra golf balls and stuff to keep this one lighter. You'd be surprised how few golf balls it takes to cut those couple of extra pounds.

Now if you already use a bag that is superlight and have no extra balls or accessories in it and only carry 12 or 13 clubs, then yes this bag is heavier.
[/quote]
Just curious, how does it fit and ride on the back of a cart. Most stand bags tend to slide all over the place. This looks like it would be pretty steady. Thanks for the review!

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

[quote name='ryantherobot' date='14 June 2010 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1276567756' post='2509597']
I noticed Golfsmith pulled this off the website, no idea why but its thee best stand bag as far as aesthetics.
[/quote]

Probably because they couldn't get any in. Discount Dan called Tmaxgear for availability for me about a month ago and was told it's backordered till July. I ended up buying mine on ebay.

BTW, there is one on BST right now. I was tempted to buy it for my wife, but she didn't want his and hers matching golf bags. :lol:

Awesome bag, it's a lot cleaner than the '09 bag. Yes, it is missing the small zipper pocket that the 09 bag has, but it's probably the best looking stand bag at the moment, especially with matching Ju Ju's headcovers. :D I'll post a pic tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the fine review. I have the older TMX and I always thought that was a beautiful bag too. I refuse to use any TM clubs but that TMX was so pretty I had to get it. The one in your review has certainly improved over the older one, especially the top.

I don't think TM built these bags to be lightweight or to compete with the roomy and full function stand bags offered by others. It's just simply a tour style bag with a stand attachment. Still like it though. Thanks again.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my bag this morning, have to agree its a smart looking bag. Interested in how you guys who have one have your clubs set up in it

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

• 4 weeks later...

Great review, thanks to the OP for taking the time to write it and take pictures. :good:

I had seen the bag a while ago at my local Golfsmith and really liked it but didn't pull the trigger at the time.

Just received my set of fitted TM R9 irons from the factory and I think it may be time to go for it....the material and finish really is different from all the other manufacturers out there and very similar to the high end bags made for the Japanese market.

• 4 months later...

great write up by the OP - thanks for taking the time and effort - I have a nice Titleist carry bag with my club logo that I use for those days I walk - my home course is about the only place I walk - so I am looking for a larger stand bag for those others days when I am basically forced to ride at daily fee courses - funny, the guys I play with at my club all want to walk - and the guys I play with on the public links are all riders - anyway, this TMX has caught my eye as a great looking stand bag - even when I ride I don't carry the 'kitchen sink' in my bag - so style can over take function a bit.

Love the look of the 2010 bag - and see plenty of the 2010 bags on sale for $130 or so these days - but before I pull the trigger I would like to see the 2011 version - any ideas on when these yearly models are typically released?