2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway Octane Tour Shaft????

bogey222

I hit the new Octane Tour 9.5 with a project x tour? graphite 6.0 flex. Does anyone know if this is a made for Callaway shaft or is it actually the tour issue project x graphite? BTY the guys at the local shop say it is the replacement for the ft tour-which I bag now-and I found it to be hotter and more forgiving than the ft tour. It still is fade biased and the shaft/head combo produce that mid/high knuckleballer that I look for. All for $299-seems like a steal to me!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bogey222' timestamp='1289150517' post='2778825']
I hit the new Octane Tour 9.5 with a project x tour? graphite 6.0 flex. Does anyone know if this is a made for Callaway shaft or is it actually the tour issue project x graphite? BTY the guys at the local shop say it is the replacement for the ft tour-which I bag now-and I found it to be hotter and more forgiving than the ft tour. It still is fade biased and the shaft/head combo produce that mid/high knuckleballer that I look for. All for $299-seems like a steal to me!
[/quote]

Felt a little loose to feel like a real PX, but I may be wrong. I believe the Octane is the Diablo replacement not the FT Tour. It is actually called the "Callaway Diablo Octane" so your local shop guys are pulling your chain. The FT Tour line is still in production for next year. They are also brining out the RAZR Hawk line as a new addition. Callaway is going to have a real nice showing for their 2011 lineup. I had a chance to hit the RAZR Tour 3+ wood and it was very solid.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

I was wondering the same thing. I just picked one up (Tour 9.5 with PX 6.0 S) and I am not complaining...high and long with a penetrating line. The shaft is a little loose upon examination, but not so much when you swing or hit it. Any more info out there on this shaft?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Rad Tour 16*, Even Flow White 6.0, Tour Edge 19* 3H, Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

The tour version Octane gets the ACTUAL shaft, same as you buy aftermarket. The reason it may feel softer to you is that Callaways standard length for drivers is now 46 inches with D3 swingweight. This is the only knock I have on this driver and I would custom order a different shaft at 44.5. acyually, I am going to weight on the RAZR Hawk tour which I liked a bit better than the Octane.

The FT tour will continue to be sold this year and neither the Octane or RAZR Hawk is a replacement for it.

The non-tour version Octane gets an OEM variant shaft. Club is a great price standpoint given what Callaway was selling composite drivers for in the past.

[quote name='golfschnell' timestamp='1289498804' post='2785618']
The tour version Octane gets the ACTUAL shaft, same as you buy aftermarket. The reason it may feel softer to you is that Callaways standard length for drivers is now 46 inches with D3 swingweight. This is the only knock I have on this driver and I would custom order a different shaft at 44.5. acyually, I am going to weight on the RAZR Hawk tour which I liked a bit better than the Octane.
[/quote]

Close, the Tour version is 45.5 and D5. Glad to hear the shaft is the real deal.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Rad Tour 16*, Even Flow White 6.0, Tour Edge 19* 3H, Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0

The PX 6.0 in the Octane Tour felt soft next to the PX in a VR Tour that I used to compare. Take a look at the specs on Callaway's site vs the Project X site and you won't find a match. Both seem to be "made for" shafts, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are not going to be as good as the aftermarket version. The "Tour" spec wise looks closer to the aftermarket as well.

From PX @ Twitter: "This is a PX tour issue part designed specifically for the Octane driver". Well that clears things up perfectly russian_roulette.gif.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

• 2 weeks later...

From PX @ Twitter: "This is a PX tour issue part designed specifically for the Octane driver". Well that clears things up perfectly russian_roulette.gif.

Sounds to me like a "made for" shaft. Just got mine (8.5º / 7.0 Flex) and hit it in the monitor for a bit. Feels really good and was getting good numbers with it, so not really concerned if it's "made for" or not.

Usually, when there's a logo on the shaft, it means it's made for. Mine has the Diablo Logo on the top part of the shaft just below the grip. Doesn't say "made for Callaway" or anything like that, but the logo pretty much tips it off.

Sounds to me like a "made for" shaft. Just got mine (8.5º / 7.0 Flex) and hit it in the monitor for a bit. Feels really good and was getting good numbers with it, so not really concerned if it's "made for" or not.

Usually, when there's a logo on the shaft, it means it's made for. Mine has the Diablo Logo on the top part of the shaft just below the grip. Doesn't say "made for Callaway" or anything like that, but the logo pretty much tips it off.

The European site lists the shaft as a PX 7C7 (6.0). The PX folks emailed me saying that this is a real PX model that was designed exclusively for Callaway on Tour and now is available through the Octane offering.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have hit the PX 6.0 on the Octane Tour driver, how soft to flex does it play? How does it compare flex-wise to an untipped RIP 60s or the stock stiff TM SFTP HD6 shaft (which plays more like a firm)?

My concern is that the stock 6.0 is really a tweener between Regular and Stiff and that the 7.0 plays like a true X flex. This seems to be the latest tactic used by the leading OEMs - create a Stiff that really plays like a regular for the retail market (similar to loft inflation). This leaves a wide gap for players looking for a true Stiff option.

[quote name='nor'easter' timestamp='1291848953' post='2830600']
For those who have hit the PX 6.0 on the Octane Tour driver, how soft to flex does it play? How does it compare flex-wise to an untipped RIP 60s or the stock stiff TM SFTP HD6 shaft (which plays more like a firm)?

My concern is that the stock 6.0 is really a tweener between Regular and Stiff and that the 7.0 plays like a true X flex. This seems to be the latest tactic used by the leading OEMs - create a Stiff that really plays like a regular for the retail market (similar to loft inflation). This leaves a wide gap for players looking for a true Stiff option.
[/quote]
Good question, any other infor on this?

I pulled 5 off the shelf at a big box store. All of em flexed different. Anywhere from 5.2 to 6.7 flex on the 6.0 Tour shaft at 45.5 inches.

Pick a few and have em measured so you can find what fits you best.

Callaway AI SMOKE TD 10.5 (N-1 9.5) w Speeder 661 vi

Callaway AI SMOKE Max 15 (N+1) w Ventus Blue+ 7x (in the build shop)

Callaway AI SMOKE TD 18 w Ventus Blue+ 7x (in the build shop)

Callaway AI SMOKE Hybrids 4, 5 w Ventus Blue 8x/9x (in the build shop)
PXG GEN 5 0311T 6-W KBS Tour 120 Black

Titleist Wedgeworks Raw 50.08M (50.5), 56.08M (57), PXG SDII Raw 60.07 Wide (61) 
LAB Link.1 34.5/72 H

never hit the club but had a waggle with it in the pro shop. px 6.0 shaft and it was whippy to waggle
same goes for the titleist 910 with the px 6.0, feels loose when waggled, but this can be misleading. I am playing px 6-a3 7.0 flex in driver and px 7-a3 7.0 in 3 wood. both feel like poles compared to the 6.0
maybe the drivers swingweights are heavy ( someone said d5) which will give the shaft a softer feel

My email to Project X:

Can you please clarify details about the shaft that comes standard in the Callaway Diablo Octane Tour driver? I saw that this is a tour shaft that is made for Callaway. However, can you tell me if it incorporates all of the same technological aspects as the rest of the aftermarket PX tour shafts? Is there anything that is different or lacking. If you had to compare it to one of the aftermarket offerings, which one would it compare most too? Is there any advantage in ordering a PX Tour aftermarket shaft. So many times, the OEM offering is a 'watered down' version of an original. Wondering if this is the case with this one. Finally, can you describe the exact profile and characteristics of the Made for Callaway 6.0 Tour? Thanks!

Their response:

The Diablo Octane Project X shafts are specifically optimized for the Callaway drivers using the Project X design philosophy, materials and tooling. The specifications are available on the Callaway website.

:russian_roulette:

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1292905491' post='2851143']
My email to Project X:

Can you please clarify details about the shaft that comes standard in the Callaway Diablo Octane Tour driver? I saw that this is a tour shaft that is made for Callaway. However, can you tell me if it incorporates all of the same technological aspects as the rest of the aftermarket PX tour shafts? Is there anything that is different or lacking. If you had to compare it to one of the aftermarket offerings, which one would it compare most too? Is there any advantage in ordering a PX Tour aftermarket shaft. So many times, the OEM offering is a 'watered down' version of an original. Wondering if this is the case with this one. Finally, can you describe the exact profile and characteristics of the Made for Callaway 6.0 Tour? Thanks!

Their response:

The Diablo Octane Project X shafts are specifically optimized for the Callaway drivers using the Project X design philosophy, materials and tooling. The specifications are available on the Callaway website.

[/quote]

Of course Callaway would never admit to "watered down" or "lacking" in their products. I guess it could truly mean "optimized", but usually it means cheaper for mass production? Would be nice to know the real answer. I guess we'll have to rely on the experience and testing of what others are finding.

The fact that 1lovesputters pulled 5 from the shelf and measured 5.2 to 6.7 flex on the 6.0 Tour shaft at 45.5 inches kind of tells me they are at least not holding a very good tolerance on these shafts, which probably makes them cheaper for Callaway. Maybe they are the ones that don't meet the specifications for the after market version. If you think about it.....what do they do with all those "seconds"?? Hmmm

[quote name='1_Putt' timestamp='1293460195' post='2860609']
[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1292905491' post='2851143']
My email to Project X:

Their response:

[/quote]

Of course Callaway would never admit to "watered down" or "lacking" in their products. I guess it could truly mean "optimized", but usually it means cheaper for mass production? Would be nice to know the real answer. I guess we'll have to rely on the experience and testing of what others are finding.

The fact that 1lovesputters pulled 5 from the shelf and measured 5.2 to 6.7 flex on the 6.0 Tour shaft at 45.5 inches kind of tells me they are at least not holding a very good tolerance on these shafts, which probably makes them cheaper for Callaway. [b]Maybe they are the ones that don't meet the specifications for the after market version[/b]. If you think about it.....what do they do with all those "seconds"?? Hmmm
[/quote]

I thought that was pretty common?

a lot of talk about real vs made-for...loose vs not loose.....i don't really care about that. Can anyone actually comment on how the shaft plays? How does it launch? Spin numbers?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1293490373' post='2861270']
a lot of talk about real vs made-for...loose vs not loose.....i don't really care about that. Can anyone actually comment on how the shaft plays? How does it launch? Spin numbers?
[/quote]
Here is the issue with your comment-Because of the noted varied results of flex, etc., as well as tolerance unknowns...what plays good for one guy might be totally different for another across the country playing the same set up. One might be swinging a club closer to a regular flex while another is playing one closer to an X. So, the launch spin numbers will be varied as well. In theory, I could take two stiff flex Octane's off the rack and get completely different numbers. Although your question is valid, it will be difficult to really trust our results because of the spec issues.

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1293494733' post='2861287']
[/quote]
Here is the issue with your comment-Because of the noted varied results of flex, etc., as well as tolerance unknowns...what plays good for one guy might be totally different for another across the country playing the same set up. One might be swinging a club closer to a regular flex while another is playing one closer to an X. So, the launch spin numbers will be varied as well. In theory, I could take two stiff flex Octane's off the rack and get completely different numbers. Although your question is valid, it will be difficult to really trust our results because of the spec issues.
[/quote]

If you are a 1-5 handi you'd be better off cutting shaft back down to 45 or 44.5 inches. It has been tested that lower handicap players really dont get the distance "advantage" because they loose the accuracy. Most all drivers are the same (COR etc) this club head is lighter..yes, but only by a few grams/ounces. So dont forget to keep the facts in front of you when we are chasing the extra 15 yrds!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Cally4life' timestamp='1293581999' post='2862994']
[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1293494733' post='2861287']
[/quote]
[/quote]

If you are a 1-5 handi you'd be better off cutting shaft back down to 45 or 44.5 inches. It has been tested that lower handicap players really dont get the distance "advantage" because they loose the accuracy. Most all drivers are the same (COR etc) this club head is lighter..yes, but only by a few grams/ounces. So dont forget to keep the facts in front of you when we are chasing the extra 15 yrds!
[/quote]

Id like to know why Callaway jacks their customers $300 for a shaft upgrade when TM and Titleist charge $80-100 more for an aftermarket shaft than a made for shaft.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1289842074' post='2791406']
The PX 6.0 in the Octane Tour felt soft next to the PX in a VR Tour that I used to compare. Take a look at the specs on Callaway's site vs the Project X site and you won't find a match. Both seem to be "made for" shafts, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are not going to be as good as the aftermarket version. The "Tour" spec wise looks closer to the aftermarket as well.
[/quote]

agree, octane shaft labled as 7c7 which you can not find on PX web

[quote name='1_Putt' timestamp='1293460195' post='2860609']
The fact that 1lovesputters pulled 5 from the shelf and measured 5.2 to 6.7 flex on the 6.0 Tour shaft at 45.5 inches kind of tells me they are at least not holding a very good tolerance on these shafts, which probably makes them cheaper for Callaway. Maybe they are the ones that don't meet the specifications for the after market version. If you think about it.....what do they do with all those "seconds"?? Hmmm
[/quote]

It would be interesting to see 1lovesputters test 5 retail PX's to make sure they are made to the specs they claim. Many expensive aftermarket shafts even have varying tolerances.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'm not on the boat of questioning the authenticity of the PX-7C7 in the Octane Tour Black. I own the 910D3 with the PX-7C3 and I find 7C7 a little softer, not as soft as an R-Flex but definitely softer than the 7C3. I was hitting the octane black today at GT in the simulator and it required less effort to load this shaft. Felt almost spongy at contact and really twisted on toe contact. The tour black really looks sweet, very nice aesthetics on this beast.