Scratch

Gxgolfer

Our 100% custom made, hand ground wedges are designed to provide golfers with the opportunity to play a club designed for you, not for a mass of people. Each club is 100% custom made to YOUR specs. Our raw heads are forged at the Ishihara foundry in Japan. Ishihara is widely regarded with those in the know as one of the highest quality foundries in the world, offering an unbeatable combination of high quality materials and old world craftsmanship. All of our heads are forged from heat treated fine grain 1018 soft carbon steel, the softest, highest quality steel used in any golf club anywhere.

Each wedge starts as an extra heavy raw head and is hand ground and built to your specs at our facility in Eugene Oregon. We offer our custom wedges in any loft between 47*- 64*. We offer 3 different toe shapes and just about any sole grind. You choose any taper tip shaft, any length, any lie angle, any bounce angle, any swingweight, any grip, your choice of our 6 finishes, custom stamping up to 5 letters and your choice of paint fill color.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a set of AR-1's but did not have the wedges. Bit the bullet and ordered a set of EZ-1's (I'm getting older and need the extra forgiveness) 5-pw, 53 and 59*. Wow, do I love these clubs and the wedges are unreal. The control and spin are fantastic but soft cover balls need to be replaced every few holes. Buy these wedges if you want to improve your short game. They are a 5++++ and Scratch's customer service is top notch. :friends:

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered 3 custom made proto type Scratch wedges from Ari/Fairway Fred in here at GolfWRX. These wedges are by no means cheap, in fact quite the opposite of cheap :ok:

I'm really looking forward to receiving them - 4-5 weeks from now.

Will return with a review, but the fitting and design process went without problems and Ari from Scratch seems like a very nice and very friendly guy to deal with while at the same time keeping a professional attitude. He answered my PM's and emails within hours and the whole process of ordering and buying a trio of Scratch wedges went without any kind of problems what so ever. Based on what every body tells me these 1018 Japan forged wedges must be the créme de la créme of wedges :bad:

• 3 weeks later...

I've used my Scratch wedges for over a month now, so I figured I can now give an honest review on them. I've used every wedge imaginable, so I have plenty to compare these with.

I aquired two Tour Department wedges from a fellow Golfwrx member. I have a 53 degree with TNC grind and a 59 with a EGG grind. Both are satin chrome and have Project X 5.5 shafts and are the standard head shape.

First of all, they look incredible. I was almost scared to hit them because they are just too pretty, but I'm glad I got over that. The satin chrome is very nice and glare isn't a problem. And I love the stamping on mine, they just have the Scratch logo and the loft on the sole. Very classy. Also, the shape of the wedge is perfect with a square-ish toe and straight leading edge. I find them much easier to line up due to that.

I've used them now for a month, and the performance of the wedges can be summed up in one word: incredible. The grinds do exactly as they are supposed to. I have a driver/slider type swing, and these grinds are just what I needed. I have greatly reduced my fat and thin shots and with that my confidence over the ball has grown significantly. Just knowing your equipment suits you is a real boost.

The feel is just wonderful. Very soft and yet responsive. These things honestly make rock-hard range balls feel like Pro V1's. I found that my distance control has improved significantly on both partial and full shots. Spin is excellent, and the best thing is that they don't chew up golf balls. I'm getting just as much spin as I did with my Vokey Spin Milled's, but without having to replace a Pro V1 every shot.

The only downside I've noticed is that I find myself wanting to hit these wedges when I shouldn't, simply because I love hitting them that much. I'll pull the 53 degree from 125, and that's really pushing it, but what they heck, if I come up short then I get to chip with the 59.

So, to sum it up, these are everything I could have asked for in a wedge. Yes, they cost more than most other wedges, but I thought improving my short game was worth it. If you want the absolute best for your game, I highly suggest Scratch wedges. I'm hoping that a set of Scratch irons will soon be in the bag.

Here's their website:

www.scratchgolf.com

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This week I bought a TNC grind 58* Scratch Wedge. I bought this wedge to replace my 58* high bounce Vokey Spin Mill (from the suggestion in Stan Utley's short game book.) I've pretty much tried every retail wedge out there and I've owned half a dozen or so different wedges. At the time of writing this review I'm an 18 handicapper who's only been playing golf less than a year and a half.

I got the wedge on this past Thursday, played a round on Friday. Prior to playing the round I didn't have a chance to practice with the new Scratch wedge. I decided midway through the round that I'd give the new Scratch wedge a chance. I was so impressed with the wedge the Vokey never left my bag for the rest of the round. I played again today and the Vokey never got a chance to leave my bag. This Scratch wedge is terrific! 2 back to back rounds with only about 30 minutes of range time and this wedge is now my go to club....

I'm not a big fan of laying the face open and hitting from any lie. I tried it with the Scratch wedge just for fun and it was like I've been playing that shot my whole (short) golf career. The club slid through the grass and popped the ball straight up. In the round and a half I"ve played with this wedge, I've put it through the works. I've played it from the sand, tight lies, 30-50yd pitches, thick grass, fairway, and chipping (I'm an 18 handicap which means I get to see a LOT of the course and what it has to offer ;) ) In all the conditions the wedge worked as I expected it too.

I think this is the best wedge I've ever picked up. Scratch makes wedges for any kind of hitter and they would be a great fit for anyone from a scratch player to a 30-handicapper.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a chance to demo a 60 Deg EGG w/ Nippon 1150 tour stiff twice on a grass range. I currently play SM Vokeys and am a slider/driver of the ball ( mostly slider but ocassionally get steep). I was impressed with the varity of shots the grind allowed me to hit. Inside 30 yards I like to crowed the ball, with the toe down, and pinch the ball for a low spinning punch. I could also hit down very aggressivly on hard pan dirt lie and not dig. Flops are not my favorite, but the heel relief allowed for easy opening of the face. I was having to work to hard to load the Nippon 1150 shaft ( a bit too stiff for me), but over all I really liked the club. I am considering buying a lower lofted version with a Nippon 950GH.

Bill

• 3 months later...

Just bought 53 and 58 degree wedges from Scratch golf, and even before I received the wedges I was impressed! I worked with Jon, and even though I didn't order custom wedges, he went ahead and put some stamps on the club for free! The order process was very smooth, and his e-mails asking me questions about what I wanted were unexpected. I just thought I would click, pay, and get the wedges in the mail...not so! Jon e-mailed me several times asking about preferences...this just does not happen with larger companies. Unfortunately, I live in Kentucky, and we have been having some crazy weather the last few weeks, so I didn't get a chance to play the wedges for at least a week. All I could do is just look at them and drool. That all changed today...

I confess I am a card carrying club ho member, but after hitting these wedges, I will stay with Scratch golf! These things stop on a dime. Actually, I will have to think about how I am going to play some of my shots now. I have always been a high ball hitter, and my wedges usually back up slightly if I am hitting a full wedge, but these things are something else. I hit an uphill wedge today and caught it pretty thin (haven't played any all winter, I hit quite a few fat too...lol) and I just knew it was off of the green...I was shocked, (and so was everyone in my group) when it held on the green! Bounced two times and bit hard!

The only problem I had today, was after nine holes, my ProV1x was pretty cut up. I did hit the 53 from the fairway several times with a full swing...I hit it sometimes when I needed a PW (you guys know what it is like to have a new club...lol) Other than the cut up ball, I have no complaints. With the way these things stop, with how they feel, I will give up having a mark free ball with no second thoughts. Best wedges on the market, no question!

Morgan

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently bought 3 custom wedges from scratch, a 52 & 56 KLD grinds satin chrome, and onyx black respectively. I also got a 60 BNE grind with copper plating all in a D4 swing weight and standard head to replace my existing wedges. It did take a while to get my clubs but the service was good because it felt like they gave you a personal touch. I got the feeling that they were a mom/pop shop and not a big time corp. It was good because you get personal attention and service but bad because they didn't seem to be operating with the most efficient business model. That's just my opinion not a slam on Scratch but 4-6 weeks to receive a wedge just seems a bit long even for a avid golfer like me.

Lets start with the Taylor Made TP 52 wedge which was actually a very nice wedge but the problem was it was a lighter club maybe a D1 and the rest of my set was a D4. Every time I swung this club I would put a lot of spin on it since it was the lighter then the rest of my clubs. I would put to much spin on the ball and it was hard to control the distance, sometimes it moves about 5 yards. I was hitting the Taylor Made about 115 yds but when I first got the scratch I was only hitting them about 90 yards for some reason, everything was coming up short. I figured it was because the scratch wedge was heavier and I wasn't used to it yet. Now that I've had them for about 3 weeks and been to the range about a dozen times with them, they are slowly gaining distance. I also noticed that they have a different feel then the TM, the scratch wedge seems to have a duller or a bit more muted sound but a more solid feel?

The 56 wedge I used to play was a mizuno mp29 w/x100 shaft, probably a bit too stiff for me but since I've been playing with it for about 8 years I got used to it and probably swung harder with this club to get the benefits. It was actually a great wedge but the grooves were worn out a bit so it was time to retire the club. The black onyx scratch replacement was my favorite out of the three, just the look and the grind felt real good. The only thing is that I asked for a blue paint fill but it came with white, and the the 52 satin chrome was suppose to have a red paint fill but it came in black too. No big deal I can live with the looks.

Damn didn't know this post would turn out this long so I'm going to cut it short. The 60 is a great wedge but it took the longest to learn how to use it well. 60 is a harder club to hit anyways but I'm slowly learning how far and high I can hit different flop shots. I can open it to 3-4 different positions right now and hit it different distances. I also noticed that the leading edge seems to sit a bit lower to the ground then my old Cleveland wedge. The copper stands out in my bag people always want to take a look at that wedge and ask me where I bought it because it looks different, the interest dwindles when I tell them how much I paid for it, haha.

Overall I've very satisfied with the wedges, they have a good solid feel and are quality wedges. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for some serious wedges to shave a few strokes off their game. Just be ready to pay for them but you get what you pay for!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was finally able to hit some scratch wedges that I got for Chrismas and they are awesome. The spin on pitches is one bounce and checks up and awesome spin on the full shots. I just have to get used to carrying the ball past the flag more now. Great wedges with a smooth feel, the nippon shafts are a plus also. Definately kicking my cg12s out of the bag.

• 2 months later...

I finally broke down and picked up a Scratch 58* JLM PDG since my short game has been hot lately. In short, it's superb.

Even at first glance, you can see the greater precision that your money buys you. The satin finish is very nice, and the grooves look carefully milled. Even the paint fill seems more precise. It feels a bit lighter in the hands (this JLM swings at D4, my Vokey is "supposed" to be at D5, who knows what it really is), but it's so far worked to my advantage. I can swing the club fast with less work, and I think it will be easier to accelerate the club on small shots. The heavier clubs will swing more smoothly, but I don't have a "handsy" chipping swing, so I don't think that helps me.

I noticed that the Scratch launches the ball higher than my Vokey (great for flops and pitches), and the ball also comes down more steeply, which makes it stop faster. The grooves on the club don't appear that aggressive, but they sure surprised me in practice today. The spin almost as much as the Spin Milled's on a full swing, a little bit less on smaller shots. And they DID take bites out of the range balls, but only a reasonable amount. So I won't have to replace my ball as often.

I think the part that impressed me the most about the Scratch is its consistency. With other wedges, my shots would randomly land short or long, left or right on occasion. I noticed no such thing with the Scratch. The I was able to get the same trajectory and distance every time (although I still need to dial in the distance). Additionally, the wedge spins the ball more predictably than the Vokey Spin Milled does for me.

Finally, the feel is very good. On pure shots, the club is butter. If you hit a bad one, you'll know it for sure. Yet the club doesn't punish you if you purposely hit a chip off the toe to deaden the shot.

I only got to play on the range today (fifteen people on the green!), so I can't comment much on the PDG grind. It worked well on the mat, and I tried some flop shots with much success. They fly higher and with less trouble than other clubs I've tried flopping.

Overall, the best wedge I've hit, easily. If I was made of money, I'd have two more. :idhitit:

• 1 month later...

One thing that is also important when dealing with any company is good customer service.

Unfortunately as much as I'd like to sing the praises of Scratch Golf I really can't. I ordered 3 custom wedges from them almost 4 months ago and paid over $1,000 for what I thought at the time was going to be premium wedges and service. I got niether.....I still don't have the wedges, though I was assured it would take only 6 weeks to get them and they still have my money. I tried to cancel after three months and got a email saying they would send me demo wedges to tie me over until I could get my custom order. My original order was three wedges 2 degrees upright, I eventually got only two demo wedges standard lie, needless to say I couldn't hit the two I got because of the wrong lie spec. I have emailed a couple of times since each time being told my wedges are first in line and almost done. Well, the last time was two weeks ago...really disappointing.

One thing that is also important when dealing with any company is good customer service.

Unfortunately as much as I'd like to sing the praises of Scratch Golf I really can't. I ordered 3 custom wedges from them almost 4 months ago and paid over $1,000 for what I thought at the time was going to be premium wedges and service. I got niether.....I still don't have the wedges, though I was assured it would take only 6 weeks to get them and they still have my money. I tried to cancel after three months and got a email saying they would send me demo wedges to tie me over until I could get my custom order. My original order was three wedges 2 degrees upright, I eventually got only two demo wedges standard lie, needless to say I couldn't hit the two I got because of the wrong lie spec. I have emailed a couple of times since each time being told my wedges are first in line and almost done. Well, the last time was two weeks ago...really disappointing.

Wow, that's a tough one to swallow, especially since I just called them last week to see about getting 2 new heads. I talked to Jon, who talked me though what I was doing and what I wanted to do, made a decision on what I wanted, was asked if I wanted any additional stampings, and received the heads 4 days later. VERY HAPPY WITH WHAT I GOT. Not only that but 1 day prior to calling I had sent Ari (fairway fred on this board) an email and received a response 2 days later as he was down south at a tournament. I have heard and experienced nothing but good things with Scratch and I've had their wedges in my bag for over 4 years now, the last 3 times dealing with them directly.

Finally got an email today that my 3 custom wedges were shipped four months and a week after I ordered them. Not too excited about it as the wait really killed the experience for me. I bought fully into Scratch wedges and all the good things I heard about them through this website and others....it's too bad that they treated me so poorly as I can't join into all the high praises for them that seem to be all over the golf sites. I guess it was just hit or miss customer service, they missed with me and did nothing to make it right. Disappointing really.... I hope I like the wedges after all this or they may end up on ebay. My loss will be someone elses gain.

• 4 weeks later...