Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

The Wizard Short Game Technique Videos(merged)

HsteadHstead Members Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
I just pulled up Dan's page and saw he has posted some short game stuff that a lot of guys have had questions about on here. I know one of Dan's pet peeves is that you cannot use a high bounce wedge from tight lies or firm lies. When you know how to use the bounce, then it is more than possible, it is the best route.

I know some of these tips have helped me remember some of the in person stuff that I have not been paying close enough attention to myself.

https://www.youtube.com/feed/subscriptions
Titleist TS3 10.5 Graphite Design BB 70X
Callaway Epic Subzero 15* Diamana D+
Titleist 818 H1
Mizuno 919 Tour 6-P, 5 Forged, 4 Hot Metal KBS Tour X
Titleist TVD 56* and 60* V Grind S400
Edel
Snell

Comments

• Marks23Marks23 Members Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hstead wrote:

I just pulled up Dan's page and saw he has posted some short game stuff that a lot of guys have had questions about on here. I know one of Dan's pet peeves is that you cannot use a high bounce wedge from tight lies or firm lies. When you know how to use the bounce, then it is more than possible, it is the best route.

I know some of these tips have helped me remember some of the in person stuff that I have not been paying close enough attention to myself.

https://www.youtube.com/feed/subscriptions

May be me but link did not work.
  • HsteadHstead Members Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Marks23 wrote:

Hstead wrote:

https://www.youtube....d/subscriptions

May be me but link did not work.

Not sure why, maybe because I have "Subscribed" to his channel. Link works for me.
    Titleist 818 H1
    Edel
    Snell
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,129 ClubWRX
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • HappyGolfHappyGolf Members Posts: 1,304
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DCiteachgolf/videos

image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />
  • MizunoJunkyMizunoJunky Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few others Dan posted demonstrating the technique.

[media=]

[media=]
  • MizunoJunkyMizunoJunky Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Oct 29, 2013 #7
    40 yard pitch shots are dirty. I know that green, that isn't easy.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

I had forgotten about him telling me to only move my arms like a long putt, no body turn as the body will react to the arms. I have gotten away from that and I have been using the pivot too much I believe. I have also gone back to using different clubs, 8 iron, UW, etc. vs just the 58* for all of the shots, especially for long shots with a lot of green to work with. I am going to go back and try the 58* for all of the shots again and focus on the arms and see if I can get back to where I was with that club.
    Titleist 818 H1
    Edel
    Snell
    QMany wrote:

40 yard pitch shots are dirty. I know that green, that isn't easy.

Nope. I would be willing to bet those were the only 4 he hit too.
    Titleist 818 H1
    Edel
    Snell
  • SurfinTurfSurfinTurf In like Flynn with my 8802 Members Posts: 4,466 ✭✭
    edited Oct 30, 2013 #11
    I find this method intriguing to say the least. But it has not worked for me yet.

I use a 60* wedge, 3* of bounce, and typically open it up around 30 to 60 degrees.

I like the address position. I don't like such a shallow approach.

Then again I practice a lot. I have a good feel for the bottom of the arc. I'm okay with coming in at a V.

Shallow = trouble.

I'm still going to try and incorporate this methodology. Wish me luck.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
    TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
    Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
    Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
    Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
    The Wilson 8802
  • Chase Cooper GolfChase Cooper Golf Members Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    SurfinTurf wrote:

I find this method intriguing to say the least. But it has not worked for me yet.

I use a 60* wedge, 3* of bounce, and typically open it up around 30 to 60 degrees.

I like the address position. I don't like such a shallow approach.

Then again I practice a lot. I have a good feel for the bottom of the arc. I'm okay with coming in at a V.

Shallow = trouble.

I'm still going to try and incorporate this methodology. Wish me luck.

Need more bounce
    Lots of Callaway Stuff
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is exactly the technique that I use and the beauty of it is that there is significant room for error. You can hit behind it (fat) and still execute a good shot.

In my case, I had to learn to keep my arms more connected, use a little pivot, and keep my hands from trying to square up the face, which can be a natural reaction for some to starting with the open face.

USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • loadnhipsloadnhips Members Posts: 24
    I think this is only useful (bounce) if AoA is steep. This approach (using bounce) severely cramps the forward arc. Why would we want to do that?
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Oct 30, 2013 #15
    So it doesn't work when shallow? I use magic to make the videos I make and the shots hundreds of people have watched me hit in person apparently. The bounce is being used by a shallow angle of attack and forward ball position. There is still shaft lean at impact and the club isn't passing the hands through impact. It's the most consistent and simple way to do it effectively. I can hit 6" behind the ball and have it still end up right by then hole. It's extremely useful.

I'd put my shortgame against almost anyone's and those who have seen it in person would agree.

Don't think you can get much shallower than this and this ball went straight up off of the putting green which is going dormant and VERY firm

Post edited by Unknown User on
    Ps everyone knows who you are. You can't stay away yet are horrible at concealing your identity
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I will vouch for Dan's shortgame. Saw him hit these same shots on the same green in person. He had me doing it as well although i'm sure his club gets nervous when people are chipping on the green haha.

Dan saw the vid's on twitter, great work spreading the wealth my man.
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
  • ej002ej002 Unregistered Posts: 5,129 ✭✭
    So the feel is a long sweeping left arm?

I would imagine you cant use this out of the rough, gets tangled up?
    iteachgolf wrote:

Ps everyone knows who you are. You can't stay away yet are horrible at concealing your identity

So??

You're suddenly the "all knowing god" now...you can't take disagreements?

So if you AoA is so shallow, what is the bounce now for?
    ej002 wrote:

So the feel is a long sweeping left arm?

I would imagine you cant use this out of the rough, gets tangled up?

Depends on lie. There are setup adjustments for different lies. Will be filming more clips and eventually a video
    The reason the "bounce" method works is not because of the bounce...its because of the unhinging L wrist not being "forced" to be flat, letting it unhinge uninterruptedly/undisruptedly...makes the clubface travel squarer longer and more DTL...loft is added because precisely its being unhinged and "cups" earlier...
    loadnhips wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

So??

Obviously this over your head. I can take plenty of disagreements. The bounce is so the club won't dig. Even if you are shallow, when the leading edge hits the ground it will dig. The bounce is so club glides on the ground and increases margin of error exponentially.

Did you not see the photo and how close the clubhead is to the ground for a very extended period of time?

There are disagreements and then when people are wrong. To say it won't work or isn't useful is asinine when there are hundreds of people I teach who can attest and videos showing how well it works. You can say you like your way better, that would be a disagreement. You saying it's not useful is asinine and doing so to start crap as you repeatedly do with me under your millionth screename because you keep getting banned leaves you with zero credibility.
  • ej002ej002 Unregistered Posts: 5,129 ✭✭
    Dan - looks like there is a little right hand flip / uncup action in those stills. Is this a conscious effort or just a result of the low/long feel?
    loadnhips wrote:

The reason the "bounce" method works is not because of the bounce...its because of the unhinging L wrist not being "forced" to be flat, letting it unhinge uninterruptedly/undisruptedly...makes the clubface travel squarer longer and more DTL...loft is added because precisely its being unhinged and "cups" earlier...

Shaft is leaning forward and left wrist is never cupping. Left wrist is FLAT and plane as day in the videos and photos. The reason it works is exactly the bounce and a shallow AoA. If the left wrist were cupping the clubhead would be coming off the ground and not staying close to it. You don't have a clue what you are talking about and the more you talk the clearer that is regardless of the screename you use.
    iteachgolf wrote:

loadnhips wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

So??

Obviously this over your head. I can take plenty of disagreements. The bounce is so the club won't dig. Even if you are shallow, when the leading edge hits the ground it will dig. The bounce is so club glides on the ground and increases margin of error exponentially.

Did you not see the photo and how close the clubhead is to the ground for a very extended period of time?

There are disagreements and then when people are wrong. To say it won't work or isn't useful is asinine when there are hundreds of people I teach who can attest and videos showing how well it works. You can say you like your way better, that would be a disagreement. You saying it's not useful is asinine and doing so to start crap as you repeatedly do with me under your millionth screename because you keep getting banned leaves you with zero credibility.

No, disagree with you. The leading edge won't dig the ground if your AoA is shallow and the ball is exactly your low point (vertically, not horizontally or forward/back-wise). The built-in bounce on wedges is enough, no need to put more emphasis on the bounce.

Why you so concerned with my credibility, yo? My points are worrying you?

Me, repeatedly doing you with what?
    ej002 wrote:

Dan - looks like there is a little right hand flip / uncup action in those stills. Is this a conscious effort or just a result of the low/long feel?

Camera angle mainly. Look at first two frames. If the camera were more in front of the player the second two would look the same. Arms have rotated in relation to the camera which skews how it looks. Watch the video. Left wrist is flat and clubhead well below hands long into finish on that swing
    iteachgolf wrote:

loadnhips wrote:

Shaft is leaning forward and left wrist is never cupping. Left wrist is FLAT and plane as day in the videos and photos. The reason it works is exactly the bounce and a shallow AoA. If the left wrist were cupping the clubhead would be coming off the ground and not staying close to it. You don't have a clue what you are talking about and the more you talk the clearer that is regardless of the screename you use.

Read it again. I said not "forced" to be flat, the L wrist being let to be unhinged uninterruptedly. Did I say no shaft lean, yo?
    Didn't realize there's a product to be released soon. Sorry to disrupt the marketing...
    Who made this sock-puppet account and why does he keep saying "yo?"
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

VEGAS:

Shearman/Chris P: +150

Russc: -130
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

loadnhips wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

loadnhips wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

So??

No, disagree with you. The leading edge won't dig the ground if your AoA is shallow and the ball is exactly your low point (vertically, not horizontally or forward/back-wise). The built-in bounce on wedges is enough, no need to put more emphasis on the bounce.

Why you so concerned with my credibility, yo? My points are worrying you?

Me, repeatedly doing you with what?

I'm not worried. If the ball is at low point you'd never hit the ground. Low point will alway be below ground or you will thin it. So yes if the leading edge hits the ground it will dig. When did I say the built in bounce isn't enough. In fact there is slight shaft lean which slightly decreases bounce. Which is why I said use a wedge that has enough bounce built in. I didn't put any emphasis on the bounce other than choosing the correct wedge and slightly opening the face. I am NOT and don't teach anyone to add bounce dynamically. The whole point of what I do is the bounce and margin for error are built in at setup and not done with swing changes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file