The Wizard Short Game Technique Videos(merged)

Hstead

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1383174592' post='8080632']
[quote name='lv_2_hack' timestamp='1383174485' post='8080620']
[quote name='MizunoJunky' timestamp='1383170842' post='8080310']
Dan, can this technique be used out of the bunker?
[/quote]

His answer is absolutely...
[/quote]

Pray tell how!
[/quote]

Try it. The shallower the better out of bunker. I'm not going to go any deeper(likely be in the video) as he has some minor adjustments for short and long bunker shots but the setup and most everything else is the same.

Lots of Callaway Stuff

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1383174552' post='8080628']
I don't know why "using the bounce" has been such a hard concept for me. Maybe because you hear "use the bounce" often but not a lot of the "how" or "why", except for some instructors good enough to help out here.

Great video, great discussion.
[/quote]
Great videos, I discovered this technique reading Utleys book. I modified the feel some, more arms and stumbled upon almost exactly what Dan is teaching on my own. I was a pretty good short game player before using more of a hinge and hold/Pelz technique but I went to a whole new level of consistency using the bounce. You can use a lower boucne wedge, like 8* but having more like 12* just makes it more fool proof. As for the word "bounce" I think it has negative connotations for many, if it was named "slide" people like you would have much less of a problem with it mentally. It took me a while to believe in it....but once I did it was like magic. I still use a few other specialty shots around the green, but this is my bread and butter.

Dan, I feel like I am almost driving the club forward with my right arm, almost throwing the bounce under the ball, is this a good feel in your opinion?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

BTW Dan. Your putting green video is weak. I have proven to myself I can hit that shot off of my concrete patio...yeah it tears the hell out of the sole of the wedge but if you have an old one laying around it's fun to show people. :taunt:

I would love to see a video on a low spinning wedge and bunker technique. Keep up the good work.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1383175863' post='8080750']
BTW Dan. Your putting green video is weak. I have proven to myself I can hit that shot off of my concrete patio...yeah it tears the hell out of the sole of the wedge but if you have an old one laying around it's fun to show people. :taunt:

I would love to see a video on a low spinning wedge and bunker technique. Keep up the good work.
[/quote]

Dan has a video on his youtube hitting pitches off of concrete to a downhill green. it's awesome.

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1383174266' post='8080600']
[quote name='CSchnee' timestamp='1383160791' post='8079644']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1383157656' post='8079444']
is he the guy that said you guys don't know sh1t in that video he made he was ranting in?

Meth addicts are the best.
[/quote]

Yep, he was the one. The one that took lessons with Dan and Monte and then made that bizarre attempt to embarass them or something.
[/quote]

The guy pretending to be from Singapore can't be Peterich, not strange enough. Googled Chris Peterich Indina once, decided for a number of reasons to just ignore him. Not surprised he's doing the mini stalk on YouTube.
[/quote]

He's also been talking up Dan on another golf forum, where he also started a "my swing" thread that's up to 7 pages... and every post is videos or pictures of himself with comments on how good his swing is.

Yup, it's as awkwardly weird as it sounds.

[quote name='Russtopher' timestamp='1383177491' post='8080876']
is he the guy that said you guys don't know sh1t in that video he made he was ranting in?

[/quote]

Yep, he was the one. The one that took lessons with Dan and Monte and then made that bizarre attempt to embarass them or something.
[/quote]

The guy pretending to be from Singapore can't be Peterich, not strange enough. Googled Chris Peterich Indina once, decided for a number of reasons to just ignore him. Not surprised he's doing the mini stalk on YouTube.
[/quote]

He's also been talking up Dan on another golf forum, where he also started a "my swing" thread that's up to 7 pages... and every post is videos or pictures of himself with comments on how good his swing is.

[/quote]

Maybe we should all go over there and ask how his spin ayers impaling turbo flip move is treating him?

[quote name='Russtopher' timestamp='1383177491' post='8080876']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good lord, 7 pages, and the last 3 or 4 are just him talking to himself and posting videos. This guy is a different kind of weird. Not sure what the deal is with his username here. Shearman whatever is on "account hold" Whatever, the less BS about push slap spin the shaft yada yada the better. More of this stuff from Dan is what we need.

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1383136318' post='8077762']
This is exactly the technique that I use and the beauty of it is that there is significant room for error. You can hit behind it (fat) and still execute a good shot.

In my case, I had to learn to keep my arms more connected, use a little pivot, and keep my hands from trying to square up the face, which can be a natural reaction for some to starting with the open face.
[/quote]

With all due respect to Dan C....as his video demo is excellent and accurate, it's not as if he invented this technique. I learned it from a buddy of mine who is a good player and has an amazing short game and figured it out on his own. As has been mentioned, set up and ball position, as well as wrist c0ck/hinge can be varied for different types of turf conditions and lies. The added margin for error is the beauty of this technique....

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Let me ask about a different kind of lie. In So Cal we have a lot of kikuyu that really grabs the club. Can you use a shallow AoA/bounce in this king of grass?

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

[quote name='wmblake2000' timestamp='1383194968' post='8082102']
Let me ask about a different kind of lie. In So Cal we have a lot of kikuyu that really grabs the club. Can you use a shallow AoA/bounce in this king of grass?
[/quote]
No absolutely not.,You have to pop it out... Drop the club on the back of he ball, forget about follow through depending on how bad the lie is. That technique works well only off tight lies, at Torrey South here would be death.

I can't speak to So Cal, but Dan did live there a few years so he will. But, in Kentucky bluegrass, bermuda, and zyosia it works fine. I play the ball forward the same, I just adjust the handle up or down depending on the lie, higher handle better lie, lower handle for lower lies. I also do not open the face out of the rough as much unless it is sitting way down so I do not go under the ball too much. These are all things Dan has taught me anyway.

I play the same shot from tight lies, deep rough, fairway, bunkers, you name, just adjust the handle, slight adjustments to ball position to change trajectory, and then in bunkers there are ways to hit it longer and lower, or higher and softer depending on your follow through.

As for kikuyu, I have no clue.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='PutterKilledTheDream' timestamp='1383195976' post='8082142']
[quote name='wmblake2000' timestamp='1383194968' post='8082102']
[/quote]
No absolutely not.,You have to pop it out... Drop the club on the back of he ball, forget about follow through depending on how bad the lie is. That technique works well only off tight lies, at Torrey South here would be death.
[/quote]

There's not much margin for error then. You just have to hit the ball first. So you're pretty steep coming into it?

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Thanks for posting this. I was chipping a week ago and was thinking how shallow I was.

This reminds me of the Impact Zone where Bobby Clampett says regarding reader email and the way he wishes he responded to them. "Why do I always chili-dip my shots?" [i]Get your swing bottom forward[/i]. "Why do I play great on nice lush courses but struggle on firmer courses?" [i]Get your swing bottom forward[/i]. Why do I struggle with my long irons? [i]Get your swing bottom forward[/i]. Why do I struggle in the wind? [i]Get your swing bottom forward[/i].

Also can't the mods ban IP addresses?

I could never get this to work in the past just reading about. Using too much pivot, didn't understand raising and lowering the handle. Easy to understand with the vid though, much appreciated Dan. I know you've said in the past do as Utley does, not as he says. Now that I understand the basic concept is it worth going back and reading Utley's stuff to build upon all this?

[quote name='Stryker' timestamp='1383237673' post='8083920']
I could never get this to work in the past just reading about. Using too much pivot, didn't understand raising and lowering the handle. Easy to understand with the vid though, much appreciated Dan. I know you've said in the past do as Utley does, not as he says. Now that I understand the basic concept is it worth going back and reading Utley's stuff to build upon all this?
[/quote]
I agree with Utley's intent but not how he goes about doing it. His arms swing around/behind his body on both side of the ball and gets narrow with the arms making angle of approach and descent sharper than it needs to be. I think my way has bigger margin of error and is easier for the average player. For a really good player both ways will work but I still rather it be as easy as possible regardless of skill level.

[quote name='Marks23' timestamp='1383237256' post='8083896']
When Dan demonstrates the technique on the green, he is using at most an 8 to 4 motion. Is this the maximum recommended length of stroke? What about pitches that need to travel from 40 to 80 yards for example?
[/quote]

The same cause and effect works on all swings regardless of length and club used. It's understanding when to do what depending on the situation and what you'd like to accomplish that is key. There is a video of me hitting 40 yard pitch shots to a down hill green. Same idea just a longer swing back and through.

A swing thought I've used to incorporate this method is to take the right lat muscle down toward the ball. Helps me to keep the clubhead low and on line while keeping it to an arm swing. Using the bounce and staying shallow really does make it the easiest way to do things.

hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

[quote name='SullGolf' timestamp='1383256609' post='8085512']
I wasn't stalking I swear, I just happened to be watching his other video and noticed he just posted this one:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Qqe3UKNP0[/media]
[/quote]

lol i actually just came on here to post the same video, I also just happened to pull up his channel while doing some lunch break putting and saw the video.

It is great to have these videos to go back and refer to for the mentally challenged like myself and BigD.

One thing I will say in regards to Utley vs Dan. If I recall correctly, and it has been several years since I read Utley's books and used his method, or tried to anyway unsuccessfully, is that Stan talks about bending the right elbow and pulling the elbow back behind you, which makes the club work around you. Dan wanted me to feel like my right elbow never bends, just like my full swing, so the club stays lower, shallower, and wider than the Utley lawnmower pulling motion of the right elbow bending. Big difference in why I have zero success with the Ultey method and have saw great improvement with Dan's method.

I might also add that I am very disappointed Dan that you did not make one on the video. You are better than that c'mon.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Things like this are why it's so valuable to see Dan in person. The way he explains things is so simple and understandable. Definitely one of the best instructors out there.

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60