The Wizard Short Game Technique Videos(merged)

Hstead

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1383598415' post='8101246']
[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1383596007' post='8101056']
[quote name='sblack5' timestamp='1383526306' post='8097776']
Because it hasn't been asked yet, what about using this to produce a lower trajectory spinner that so many people would love to have in their arsenal?
[/quote]

This... First thought was that you'd need a steeper AoA, but then I remember reading something that after a certain point you actually start seeing less spin as AoA steepens.... Curious as to your thoughts on this?
also read the first few pages of this thread, geez.... somebody has some serious issues. Isn't that guy like a 15 that plays like once a month and has a different swing philosophy multiple times a week?
[/quote]

done with square face (if you want to get technical around 52* or effective loft at impact) ball forward and slight shaft lean. Key is shallow angle of attack. Last thing you wanna do is it hit high on the face if you are expecting it to spin. Square face at setup shallow angle of attack and then its simply a function of speed and solid contact
[/quote]

Thank you.

hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

used this technique with a 56/14 nike vr pro on the course yesterday
everything felt good, smooth, very hard to make a mistake

even holed out a chip from the fringe

the only thing i wasn't used to (coming from ball back in your stance, to off the left armpit) is the ball gets airborn higher and has less roll out. normally my 56 back in the stance delofted is 50/50 carry/roll. now i am about 75/25 carry to roll. so it'll take some time getting used to.

technique worked from the fairway as well as greenside. i was impressed.

Driver - 9.5* Ping G25 w/Kiyoshi Purple
4w - Callaway Big Bertha w/Blueboard
Mizuno MP-H5 3i - PW w/KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Works Versa 2 Ball Fang w/Black Shaft
52/56/60 Callaway MD3 w/Black DG-S400

Dan,

Can you please describe where the weight pressure should be at address and during the swing for the pitches and the bunker shots?

I know that many instructors advocate placing 60-70% of the weight on the left foot and leaving it there throughout the stroke. I have always moved my weight pressure inside my right heel on the backswing and shifted the weight to my left (front) foot on the downswing, as I do on my full swing. Which method do you advocate and what are the general consequences of the opposite procedure?

Thank you very much.

rteach1

[quote name='whiteflash' timestamp='1383266198' post='8086234']
Great bunker video Dan. One question, do you have a thought or technique you use to hit the sand precisely where you are aiming. I seem to always hit the ball thin out if bunkers even though I try to hit a couple of inches behind?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks again for the video!!!
[/quote]

Any thoughts on this?

[quote name='whiteflash' timestamp='1383602310' post='8101546']
[quote name='whiteflash' timestamp='1383266198' post='8086234']
Great bunker video Dan. One question, do you have a thought or technique you use to hit the sand precisely where you are aiming. I seem to always hit the ball thin out if bunkers even though I try to hit a couple of inches behind?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks again for the video!!!
[/quote]

Any thoughts on this?
[/quote]

only way to thin it is to shorten the radius. So either arms are bent or hands are slowing down. Or ball is too far back in your stance. Since fat is the safe miss I'd error way forward than too far back. Best bet and safest shot is the chunk and run where you feel like club head stays in the sand. Arms are extended and club head never gets above the hands post impact.

[quote name='rteach1' timestamp='1383602056' post='8101530']
Dan,

Can you please describe where the weight pressure should be at address and during the swing for the pitches and the bunker shots?

I know that many instructors advocate placing 60-70% of the weight on the left foot and leaving it there throughout the stroke. I have always moved my weight pressure inside my right heel on the backswing and shifted the weight to my left (front) foot on the downswing, as I do on my full swing. Which method do you advocate and what are the general consequences of the opposite procedure?

Thank you very much.

rteach1
[/quote]

Weight should be relatively forward. For chips and short pitches my feet are practically together which I'd recommend and requires no thought on weight shift. On bunker shots lower body is basically there to support the upper and will have no lateral movement. I wouldn't think about it really. Id keep lower body stable and focus on hitting the ground in the same spot repeatedly

[quote name='MizunoJunky' timestamp='1383599663' post='8101370']
So even with a square face all you need for spin around the greens is shallow angle of attack and not hitting it high on the face?
[/quote]

Don't forget speed. You're never really going to practically spin a 10 yard shot unless you make crazy exaggerations to do so.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1383510671' post='8096742']
[quote name='reflection' timestamp='1383447795' post='8094534']
I tried this technique in my yard today and was able to get the ball in the air with ease. I would like to try it more, but I have a question about aiming. I have always used a square club face alignment when pitching. The ball flies perpendicular to the groves on the club face so I knew where to aim. When I open the face using this method, I am not able to aim exactly where I want. The ball flies to the right, but not exactly in the direction perpendicular to the groves and not in line with my leg alignment - the ball flies somewhere in between. How do you aim using this method or is it more of an approximation? Please provide some guidance because I think I'm missing something. Thanks.
[/quote]
Ball should fly straight if lie angles are right. Grind does matter for start line. Distance control is by far more important than exact start line. Your miss will always be greater distance wise than accuracy. Primary focus should be distance control
[/quote]

I'll try to play with the lie to see if I can hit it straight. I agree with you that distance control is more important, but it's going to nag me constantly if I can't aim it where I want it to go :-).

Thanks Dan!

[quote name='reflection' timestamp='1383622376' post='8103278']
I tried this technique in my yard today and was able to get the ball in the air with ease. I would like to try it more, but I have a question about aiming. I have always used a square club face alignment when pitching. The ball flies perpendicular to the groves on the club face so I knew where to aim. When I open the face using this method, I am not able to aim exactly where I want. The ball flies to the right, but not exactly in the direction perpendicular to the groves and not in line with my leg alignment - the ball flies somewhere in between. How do you aim using this method or is it more of an approximation? Please provide some guidance because I think I'm missing something. Thanks.
[/quote]
Ball should fly straight if lie angles are right. Grind does matter for start line. Distance control is by far more important than exact start line. Your miss will always be greater distance wise than accuracy. Primary focus should be distance control
[/quote]

I'll try to play with the lie to see if I can hit it straight. I agree with you that distance control is more important, but it's going to nag me constantly if I can't aim it where I want it to go :-).

Thanks Dan!
[/quote]

As I practice this indoors on my carpet (with a rubber ball), the ball still flies to the right. This makes sense to me because the face is aiming to the right (since I'm also uncocking my wrists per your recommendation). I searched and this video depicts the behavior I'm seeing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14_J6FdDKLA

But I don't want to lower by arms per that video because that makes my swing steeper. I want to keep it more shallow.

How are you able to fly the ball straight along your swing plane with the club face and wrist uncocked as you described? What's wrong with my lie angles?

Thanks.

[quote name='reflection' timestamp='1383625778' post='8103508']
[quote name='reflection' timestamp='1383622376' post='8103278']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks Dan!
[/quote]

As I practice this indoors on my carpet (with a rubber ball), the ball still flies to the right. This makes sense to me because the face is aiming to the right (since I'm also uncocking my wrists per your recommendation). I searched and this video depicts the behavior I'm seeing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14_J6FdDKLA

But I don't want to lower by arms per that video because that makes my swing steeper. I want to keep it more shallow.

How are you able to fly the ball straight along your swing plane with the club face and wrist uncocked as you described? What's wrong with my lie angles?

Thanks.
[/quote]

I experienced this same thing, we the uncocked wrists and opening of the club face... i opened my stance slightly to fix this and made my swing up and down the target line still as a band aid.. but i am indersted in what dan has to say

Driver - 9.5* Ping G25 w/Kiyoshi Purple
4w - Callaway Big Bertha w/Blueboard
Mizuno MP-H5 3i - PW w/KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Works Versa 2 Ball Fang w/Black Shaft
52/56/60 Callaway MD3 w/Black DG-S400

Ball doesn't know where your body line is facing. If you're swinging down the target line you could be aligned anywhere. Aiming open will generally steepen AOA and shift path left for MOST people. If ball is forward and you are using the bounce of the club the ball should fly straight. If anything I aim slightly closed on all shots around the green (to get right hip back and out of the way at setup) If you have the ball forward, if feet are close together it will be in front of your front foot, and under your left shoulder you will be making contact with the ball AFTER the bounce has hit the ground and the ball will not fly to the right. Most people don't have the ball as far up as they think they do. Don't use your feet as a point of reference, use your shoulders. If feet are close together it will look uncomfortably forward for most people as your left shoulder will be in front of your left foot by a decent amount.

I have experienced this exact issue. I thought I had the ball forward until I videoed myself. My shoulders are wide, so for me to get the ball under my left armpit, the ball has to be well forward. Also, Dan explained to me the ball flight laws and how the face doesn't dictate the start line as much with the face open with a great amount of loft. The less loft, the more the face angle dictates direction, and the more loft the less face angle is responsible for direction. So putter face dictates direction the greatest, lob wedge with face open the least. I used to hit the ball right too, but for me, I was under plane and swinging too much from in to out on my chips.

Once I moved the ball more forward, used a little closed stance, and made sure I was swinging down the line instead of out to the right, my direction problems were cured. Make sure you are not swinging too much in to out if your ball is going right. That was my case anyway. Dan can explain better.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1383695132' post='8107046']
Ball doesn't know where your body line is facing. If you're swinging down the target line you could be aligned anywhere. Aiming open will generally steepen AOA and shift path left for MOST people. If ball is forward and you are using the bounce of the club the ball should fly straight. If anything I aim slightly closed on all shots around the green (to get right hip back and out of the way at setup) If you have the ball forward, if feet are close together it will be in front of your front foot, and under your left shoulder you will be making contact with the ball AFTER the bounce has hit the ground and the ball will not fly to the right. Most people don't have the ball as far up as they think they do. Don't use your feet as a point of reference, use your shoulders. If feet are close together it will look uncomfortably forward for most people as your left shoulder will be in front of your left foot by a decent amount.
[/quote]

Thanks Dan. I was swinging down the target line, but I do believe my ball was not as far up as you described. I think I'm also too vertical when I uncock my wrists. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

P.S. I did try this technique during a round today (before I read your last post) and I had mixed results. I definitely see its advantages. Unfortunately my vokeys are 60/7, 56/12, and 52/10. I need to get a 60/12.

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1383696766' post='8107166']
I have experienced this exact issue. I thought I had the ball forward until I videoed myself. My shoulders are wide, so for me to get the ball under my left armpit, the ball has to be well forward. Also, Dan explained to me the ball flight laws and how the face doesn't dictate the start line as much with the face open with a great amount of loft. The less loft, the more the face angle dictates direction, and the more loft the less face angle is responsible for direction. So putter face dictates direction the greatest, lob wedge with face open the least. I used to hit the ball right too, but for me, I was under plane and swinging too much from in to out on my chips.

Once I moved the ball more forward, used a little closed stance, and made sure I was swinging down the line instead of out to the right, my direction problems were cured. Make sure you are not swinging too much in to out if your ball is going right. That was my case anyway. Dan can explain better.
[/quote]

Thanks Hstead. This adds some clarity.

Thanks for posting this! Great instruction. I'm a terrible chipper and have nowhere to go but up. In my tryout over the last 15 minutes, I'm chipping better than I ever have.

Quick question though, any change to grip? I'm just using my normal, full swing, grip with the handle high and wrist in the uncocked position. Is this about right or is there some instruction on using a different grip that I missed?

Thanks for the video Dan and thanks for posting this Hstead.

You are welcome, although I really didn't do much, Dan made the video and it is his way to teach the short game. As for the grip, I use my full swing grip and I think Dan does too, but I may be wrong, 98.5% sure though. :good:

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Augster' timestamp='1383715389' post='8108564']
Thanks for posting this! Great instruction. I'm a terrible chipper and have nowhere to go but up. In my tryout over the last 15 minutes, I'm chipping better than I ever have.

Quick question though, any change to grip? I'm just using my normal, full swing, grip with the handle high and wrist in the uncocked position. Is this about right or is there some instruction on using a different grip that I missed?

Thanks for the video Dan and thanks for posting this Hstead.
[/quote]

try it without a high handle, it helped me

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1383696766' post='8107166']

[/quote]

I'm having trouble visualizing how the open face/target line relation would apppear from address... I keep wanting to point the leading edge at the target, but after reading some comments, it seems that is totally wrong. Would anyone be willing to post a quick pic of how this is supposed to look??

I had a 10 yard slightly uphill chip scenario this morning that I holed in for bird. Keep in mind that it was a poor stroke as I hit 2-3" behind the ball and kinda hit it slightly below the equator. Though it didn't have the typical height I would typically want, it had enough forward role to role up and fall in. I just love the margin of error this stroke allows. My other well struck chips/pitches popped up nice with little role. Need to work on the sand stuff more but the short game is no longer an aspect that I fear. In fact, it gets me excited for opportunities to execute. Awesome stuff here.

JHam - I do not have a picture, but if you can visualize this I think it will get you where you want to be.

Let's say you have a fifteen yard pitch or chip, you set up perfectly square with your feet, knees, hips, shoulders, etc. (although Dan and I like to be closed a little instead of square) parallel left of the target. Have the face square, everything like you would hit a full iron shot, all alignments the same, parallel left with a square face. Now, all you have to do is open the face, and the amount you open the face depends on how high or low you want to hit the shot, square face for lower shots, wide open for flop, and every where in between for varying heights. Do not worry about where the face is pointing, swing along your target line that you are standing square to. The ball will go more where you are swinging that where the face is pointing.

Make sense?

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

I tried this technique during a practice round earlier this week. I was happy with it and certainly persevere with it.

I got a variety of trajectories off the club face, some high and some low.

Should the ball come of the club face 'hot' or 'soft'?

Hot is low, fast and spiny.
Soft is higher, slower with les spin.

[quote name='GeoffDickson' timestamp='1383796830' post='8113554']
I tried this technique during a practice round earlier this week. I was happy with it and certainly persevere with it.

I got a variety of trajectories off the club face, some high and some low.

Should the ball come of the club face 'hot' or 'soft'?

Hot is low, fast and spiny.
Soft is higher, slower with les spin.
[/quote]

I would guess you are doing something right then. If you hit it a little thin, it will fly lower, faster, and spin more but go the same distance as if you chunk it a little and it flies shorter, softer, and rolls more. Both result in similar distances normally. That is the beauty in the technique, thin or heavy and the results are close to the same. Wide margin for error built in.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV