There's no such thing as an "Average Golfer"

124»

Comments

• Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭

This is becoming silly. I have never seen the word 'average' misused so frequently.

Are you referring to the average response? :-)
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • thug the bunnythug the bunny Members Posts: 6,141 ✭✭
    Sean2 wrote:

This is becoming silly. I have never seen the word 'average' misused so frequently.

The responses of 1000 WRXers was measured for 12 months and the results showed that there is no average response...
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭

Sean2 wrote:

The responses of 1000 WRXers was measured for 12 months and the results showed that there is no average response...

Ha! Well, no one on this forum is average. ;-)
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members Posts: 4,035 ✭✭

Sean2 wrote:

Well, that was because the answers were n-dimensional, wait no, they were multi-variable, oops, no, they where just plain stupid due to cabin fever or other cognitive challenges...
    If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
    northgolf wrote:

Sean2 wrote:

Well, that was because the answers were n-dimensional, wait no, they were multi-variable, oops, no, they where just plain stupid due to cabin fever or other cognitive challenges...

Ding ding ding! This cold and snow numbs my brains
  • MedicMedic Members Posts: 9,422 ✭✭
    Ok, look. I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express this past weekend which has thankfully helped me to clearly see things as they are.

The word "average" exists.

The word "golfer" exists.

There is nothing in any textbook that denies the possibility of these two words being joined in order to make a phrase. Therefore "average golfer" as a phrase exists.

Since the phrase "average golfer" definitively exists, there must also be a definition for the phrase. Said definition can be attained by simply taking the definitions of the two separate words and adding them together.

Average - a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

Golfer - a person who participates in the sport of golf

Therefore:

Average golfer - a person who participates in the sport of golf whose playing attributes end at or near a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data pertaining to the sport, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

Everyone is welcome. End of thread/
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft
    Medic wrote:

Ok, look. I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express this past weekend which has thankfully helped me to clearly see things as they are.

The word "average" exists.

The word "golfer" exists.

There is nothing in any textbook that denies the possibility of these two words being joined in order to make a phrase. Therefore "average golfer" as a phrase exists.

Since the phrase "average golfer" definitively exists, there must also be a definition for the phrase. Said definition can be attained by simply taking the definitions of the two separate words and adding them together.

Average - a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

Golfer - a person who participates in the sport of golf

Therefore:

Average golfer - a person who participates in the sport of golf whose playing attributes end at or near a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data pertaining to the sport, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

Everyone is welcome. End of thread/

Thank you Med! The OP keeps intoning that because no one comes in at exactly the mean values (or combination thereof) in his various studies, there is no such thing as an average golfer. If he would just expand his bin width (frequency distribution window) a little, all of a sudden, there are tons and tons of average golfers! Presto abracadabra!
  • oikos1oikos1 Members Posts: 2,300 ✭✭
    Well yeah, but who wants to be average?
  • northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members Posts: 4,035 ✭✭
    oikos1 wrote:

Well yeah, but who wants to be average?

All the kids who don't live at Lake Woebegone?
    If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. Members Posts: 543
    Maybe I’m thinking too much about this now, but the average male swings 94mph and his average drive is 208 yards.

This implies somehow that the average male has the potential to hit 245 yards using the average statistics from Trackman.

Is the average male golfer losing 37 yards on average?

Obviously, I’m not sure exactly how the 208 yards was derived?
  • crapulacrapula Golf! Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 12:09pm #102

What you cannot do is figure out what pizza the average person likes.

The average persons favorite pizza is pepperoni.

If your favorite pizza is pepperoni you might be average or you might not.
    Srixon Z 785 9.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z F85 13.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z H85 16 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
    Srixon Z 785 3-PW KBS Tour 120 S
    Cleveland RTX-3 52, 58 KBS Tour 120 S
    Odyssey Toulon Memphis Stroke Lab
    Srixon Yellow ZStar XV
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,763 ClubWRX
    Ferguson wrote:
    disco111 wrote:

One thing I do know is that the older you get, the lower the dingles get.............. image/WTF.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':WTF:' /> image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

I knew a guy with DLD. Distended Low Dingles.

Aka, "LowScro"
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,763 ClubWRX
    I think the OP's intent is really just to say this:

"Just because a person's SCORES are average, doesn't mean every part of their GAME is average." And he's right.

I know 14-cappers who putt far, far better than a couple 2-handicappers I know.

So, like DaveP said: It's helpful in knowing that the 14 who putts like a scratch shouldn't really be spending a lot of time "fixing" their putting.

But that's really it as far as I can see....

Am I missing something, OP?
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • kowalgolfkowalgolf Members Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Wish George Carlin was still alive. Two of his quotes. "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." "Some people have no idea what they're doing, and a lot of them are really good at it." It's cold i'm bored and i want to hit some balls."
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,509 ✭✭
    I feel like averages are only useful when your data is evenly distributed. If you live in a town or neighborhood where the average income is say... 50k, but 9 people make 20k and one guy makes 320k, an average is not an appropriate statistical measurement of that neighborhoods actual average income because nobody there actually makes $50k a year. Instead, a median should be used so that outliers don't influence the perception of what "average" is.

I think the same thing applies to golf. Most golfers struggle to break 90, yet there are a bunch of very talented guys out there which would bring the average HC down a bit, even though there are many times less very good golfers, than not so good ones.

I play public municipal courses almost exclusively. Over the past 3 years, I've only played with like 3 or 4 guys who've broken 80. Nobody has shot under a 75. So figure out of 125 or something rounds... 3% of players have probably carried an index of 10 or less. I've read a few times the "average" player is a 14 index. I find that pretty hard to believe, even with a small-ish sample size of 125 rounds. That's probably at least 300 different people I've played with... I think by now I'd see a pattern.

The average golfer may be XYZ; but the median IMO is a better representation of a 'standard' player.
    WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD Tour Blue 75X
    Rogue Tour Blue 85x or 818H2 Tour Blue 85x
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 Modus 125 Wedge (Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Sigma 2 Tyne
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file