2018 BMW PGA Championship

NaBUru38

Same to you... What on earth are you talking about, he was playing fairly aggressive but simply couldn’t execute even basic shots to hit the fairway or greens. And that goes for Sat & Sun. He didn’t hit the fairway until hole 6 on both days and managed to scramble really well just to save par the first 6 holes in todays round. Were you even watching?

Sounds a lot like his performance at Augusta on the final day. He was scared and tight, just like he was today. He managed to shoot a 65 this week and said he was swinging it as well as he had for ages yet he couldn't put it together on the final two days? Blame his swing if you want but his deficiencies are largely mental.

Rory entered the BMW PGA fighting his swing with the dreaded 2 way miss that he’s been working on with his coach for a couple months now, which includes through Augusta. It’s a credit to him and his mental grit that he was able to find a way to fashion some sort of swing in order to contend in both those events. Such is the quality & depth of fields today, if you’re fighting a 2 way miss then you aren’t winning. We saw at API how devastating Rory can be when his swing’s in sync and not fighting the 2 way miss. That’s the curse of every tour pro in case you don’t know.

Thanks for the insights

I’m a Tiger fan, but where was this legendary “mental greatness” from Tiger at Augusta?… the reality was he was fighting his swing like Rory was, yet for all Tiger’s “mental greatness” he failed to even contend finishing a very poor T32… yet Rory’s mental toughness got him a top 5.

Which year are we talking about in terms of Tiger, because if it was this year, you weren't seriously expecting him to put in a performance like the old days were you!?

As for Rory's top 5, you know as well as I do that he choked and let the pressure of the situation get to him when he had a legitimate shot at winning. On paper a top 5 sounds good, but that doesn't really tell the whole story now does it?

Amen MrWolf

Double amen. :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rory shoots 65 on Friday, scrambled on Saturday and got outplayed on the Sunday, simple as that. He had a chance to eagle the 72nd to put some pressure on Chicco, but he didn't make it and Chicco was just ice cold to par that hole.

It's as simple as he was the 2nd best player in that tournament, nothing more, nothing less. Everything else is just overanalysis.

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

Rory shoots 65 on Friday, scrambled on Saturday and got outplayed on the Sunday, simple as that. He had a chance to eagle the 72nd to put some pressure on Chicco, but he didn't make it and Chicco was just ice cold to par that hole.

It's as simple as he was the 2nd best player in that tournament, nothing more, nothing less. Everything else is just overanalysis.

When you're as good as he is, I don't think it's over analysis at all. If he shoots his weekend scores on Thursday and Friday, he has the weekend off. So I don't think it's unfair to try and work out why. Fact is he played some horrible golf on the weekend and if he had even played halfway decent by his standards, he should have won by 5.

Same to you... What on earth are you talking about, he was playing fairly aggressive but simply couldn’t execute even basic shots to hit the fairway or greens. And that goes for Sat & Sun. He didn’t hit the fairway until hole 6 on both days and managed to scramble really well just to save par the first 6 holes in todays round. Were you even watching?

Sounds a lot like his performance at Augusta on the final day. He was scared and tight, just like he was today. He managed to shoot a 65 this week and said he was swinging it as well as he had for ages yet he couldn't put it together on the final two days? Blame his swing if you want but his deficiencies are largely mental.

Rory entered the BMW PGA fighting his swing with the dreaded 2 way miss that he’s been working on with his coach for a couple months now, which includes through Augusta. It’s a credit to him and his mental grit that he was able to find a way to fashion some sort of swing in order to contend in both those events. Such is the quality & depth of fields today, if you’re fighting a 2 way miss then you aren’t winning. We saw at API how devastating Rory can be when his swing’s in sync and not fighting the 2 way miss. That’s the curse of every tour pro in case you don’t know.

Thanks for the insights

I’m a Tiger fan, but where was this legendary “mental greatness” from Tiger at Augusta?… the reality was he was fighting his swing like Rory was, yet for all Tiger’s “mental greatness” he failed to even contend finishing a very poor T32… yet Rory’s mental toughness got him a top 5.

Which year are we talking about in terms of Tiger, because if it was this year, you weren't seriously expecting him to put in a performance like the old days were you!?

As for Rory's top 5, you know as well as I do that he choked and let the pressure of the situation get to him when he had a legitimate shot at winning. On paper a top 5 sounds good, but that doesn't really tell the whole story now does it?

Not true, after Rory shot his 65 he was happy in part but was also disappointed telling the interviewer he was still hitting loose shots. Go back and listen to the interview. He didn’t look “scared”, he looked frustrated hitting 2 way misses into trees and almost OB on multiple occasions, again did you even watch it? If you didn’t or if your memory is failing you I can tell you where every shot went if you like as proof? Trust me, pros hitting 2 way misses from the 1st tee for 6 straight holes (as he did rounds 3 & 4) will do that to EVERY pro, but he found a way to get it around.

As for Tiger at this years Augusta, he came in as THE FAVORITE (not just in betting houses but with many fans too) after coming in on very good form. Come crutch time Tiger looked exactly like Rory fighting his swing.

Rory’s Greens Hit at Augusta in rds 1-3 was 61%, 67%, 67% - but in round 4 he only hit 44% of greens. Being out of position at AN will quickly bring about pars, bogies or worse.

The difference was Rory still managed T5 after repeatedly missing greens & fairways and Tiger a poor T32… and at BMW PGA Rory still managed 2nd with his D/E game mixed with spurts of B/A game. That’s how good he is at grinding out a score to still contend.

When you're as good as he is, I don't think it's over analysis at all. If he shoots his weekend scores on Thursday and Friday, he has the weekend off. So I don't think it's unfair to try and work out why. Fact is he played some horrible golf on the weekend and if he had even played halfway decent by his standards, he should have won by 5.

Who knew everyone was supposed to play to their potential every round.

Let me introduce you to my friend Golf.

Who knew everyone was supposed to play to their potential every round.

Let me introduce you to my friend Golf.

Couldn't say it better my friend.

His play on Friday almost made Alex Noren quit golf but then again golf happens and he finished 2nd.

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

Of course that's golf.But sometimes there are clear reasons why we play poorly. Just my 2 cents worth, I thought the way he attacked the ball on the weekend was entirely different to what he did Thursday/Friday.

In what "way he attacked the ball on the weekend was entirely different"? I watched every shot of every round, and his aggression, choice of clubs, on each day was identical - the only difference being where the ball ended which is influenced by good execution or poor execution. Rounds 1 & 2 his swing looked more in sync, days 3 & 4 from the very first tee he couldn't hit a fairway for the first 6 holes each day.

So again, in what way did "he attacked the ball on the weekend was entirely different"? I'm curious as to what evidence you're stating this.

A little OT question from a Scandinavian referring to the leaderboard. A number of Bradley's there. Is Bradley really a given name or a Surname? Seems to be 50/50.

Used to be mainly a surname, now used as a first name.

I think it was a trend started by the Americans, but quite a lot of what used to be predominantly surnames are now used as first names as well: Keegan Bradley (for example, there was an English footballer called Kevin Keegan), Harris English (Townsend Harris was a 19th century American diplomat...and anyway, Townsend is more of a surname than first name!), Bryson DeChambeau (there's an author called Bill Bryson), and so on.

Several Uruguayans are named Washington, most notably Washington Beltrán Sr and Jr, Washington Benavides, Washington Abdala, Washington Sebastián Abreu and Óscar Washington Tabárez.