CPA looking to enter the golf industry

Br1an02; ·  
Br1an02;Br1an02; Members  1102WRX Points: 61Posts: 1,102 Platinum Tees
Good afternoon GolfWRX, I'm currently a CPA at one of the Big 4 accounting firms in FL and am looking to exit public accounting entirely and enter the golf industry. I know there are various management consulting companies specific to the golf industry (Troon, Global Golf Advisors, etc.) but I'm not sure what other avenues there may be, specifically in Florida as that is where my fiance and I will be settling down. I'd be curious to know if there is anyone else on here who has taken a similar path. Thanks!
Posted:

Comments

• BA_LuckBA_Luck Members  38WRX Points: 5Handicap: 6Posts: 38 Bunkers
    unless you're independently wealthy aviod becoming an assistant and a course.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members  10271WRX Points: 306Posts: 10,271 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DCMembers  2150WRX Points: 1,558Posts: 2,150 Platinum Tees

Um, google is always good to ask. The PGA tour needs you!!!

https://www.teamwork...lub-tpc-1937934

Our benefits include:

• Competitive wages including performance bonuses
    • Medical/Dental/Life/Disability insurance
    • Paid time off
    • 401k with employer match
    • Employer funded retirement plan
    • Health Savings Account/Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
    • Wellness Program
    • Membership to TPC Sawgrass

Sold on that last bolded part!
    Posted:
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
  • mshillsmshills On golf hiatus. Auto accidents suck. Pittsburgh, PA — South HillsMembers  3884WRX Points: 199Handicap: ?Posts: 3,884 Titanium Tees
    The CPA is a high-value certification. My advice: pick a different industry. I would not waste the CPA you earned in the golf business.
    Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
    TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
    Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
    TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
    Titleist 735.CM 4-PW, S300
    Titleist Vokey 54.14, 58.08
    Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
    Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather
  • bkirkley09bkirkley09 Members  521WRX Points: 144Handicap: 20+Posts: 521 Golden Tee
    Br1an02; wrote:

Good afternoon GolfWRX, I'm currently a CPA at one of the Big 4 accounting firms in FL and am looking to exit public accounting entirely and enter the golf industry. I know there are various management consulting companies specific to the golf industry (Troon, Global Golf Advisors, etc.) but I'm not sure what other avenues there may be, specifically in Florida as that is where my fiance and I will be settling down. I'd be curious to know if there is anyone else on here who has taken a similar path. Thanks!

I am in the same boat as you. CPA who is just tired of doing the CPA thing. I am looking at what can I do on my own rather than do Public or even corporate. Funniest thing is that my name is Brian as well so I just thought that was amusing. Just wanted to say good luck and keep me posted on how this goes! I live in Illinois by STL so its not a good golf as a career aspect. Florida should be doable hopefully!
    Posted:

Taylormade 2017 M2 - Accra TZ6 M5 65
    Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid - Graphite Design AD DI 85 S
    Callaway Big Bertha 4 Hybrid - KBS Tour Proto 85 S
    Ping G700 5 - W - AWT 2.0 S
    Vokey SM7 Chrome 48F, 52F, 56S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe Bigfoot 60
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 STR

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members  3816WRX Points: 1,198Handicap: 4Posts: 3,816 Titanium Tees
    You could look for Controller openings either at independent clubs or as a regional position with a management company. The downside of that position is you see the financials up close, most aren’t pretty.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • breakingbadbreakingbad Members  112WRX Points: 1Handicap: 6Posts: 112 Bunkers
    Go independent and put yourself out there. In 2 years maybe have a solid client base and play when it isnt tax season
    Posted:
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members  10271WRX Points: 306Posts: 10,271 Titanium Tees
    Did you get the job with PGA?
    Posted:
  • ((hoselrocket))((hoselrocket)) Members  110WRX Points: 77Posts: 110 Fairways
    I was in the golf business for over 10 years. One of my biggest regrets? Staying in the golf business for over 10 years.
    Posted:
  • BA_LuckBA_Luck Members  38WRX Points: 5Handicap: 6Posts: 38 Bunkers

I was in the golf business for over 10 years. One of my biggest regrets? Staying in the golf business for over 10 years.
    This
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.