10 finger grip

T.B.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been using the 10 finger grip for a couple weeks now. I feel more in control with irons, wedges and fw,, but the driver doesn’t feel as comfortable. I feel the club head is going through the hitting zone faster, but I have less control. I’m wondering if I build up the grip or use non taper if that will help. I’m normally very straight off the tee

As I've gone back and forth, the thing I've found is that the grip matters in how far apart the wrists are. If I want to hit a high fading drive, I'll switch. It "leaves the face open" a little because it takes more time to "get around" with your right wrist closure. If you get used to it and straighten out, a Vardon will have a draw.

It's neither wrong nor right; it's the effect it has on face. If you want to have an experiment, put an inch between your hands. You'll be surprised at how you can manipulate on one axis, and how much you lose on the other.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m a senior, was single digit. Experiencing all kinds of pain in my right hand end of last year and the start of this season. Scores and ball striking have suffered greatly. Always used the interlock. Did not know what to do. Lost my intensity to play or practice. Experimented with 10 finger on the range with very good results. Adjusted much faster to the feel than I thought, results were on plane, full natural release. Hitting it very solid with a lot less pain, it will be interesting to see how well I do this season. I fell confident I can play well again with this grip. Still can’t believe I did not at least try this grip before, I’m not sure why this grip is frowned upon or not encouraged.

• Like 1

So, I don't generally use hyperbole, but I may succumb in this post. I just recently started playing after a very long hiatus. I had only ever known of, and used, the interlocking grip. I have always had a slice that comes and goes, but is usually always there, sometimes much worse than others.

After reading this thread, I decided to go to the range today and try out the 10-finger grip for a multitude of reasons: (1) I have had multiple wrist surgeries and still have shrapnel stuck in my left wrist, and I frequently would experience pain when using the interlocking grip; (2) I'm willing to try anything to hit the ball straighter; and (3) like most people, I foolishly thing that fixing one thing about my game will fix it all. :-)

I hit about 100 balls this evening and I experienced no pain, which was a first. Not only that, I hit all my clubs, including my driver, much straighter; some of my shots even had a slight draw. And, I would say that only about 10% of my shots went more than 15 yards off-center. It was, by far, the best performance I've ever had. I also experienced more distance with my driver; the club I play at has a marker at 250. I think I've rolled that far maybe five or six times. Tonight, I hit four balls that went at least 250 in the air. This grip is glorious, if for no other reason than it didn't cause me any pain. But, the extra accuracy, precision, and distance (at least on the driver), don't hurt either.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Due to football and motorbike injuries to my right hand, I have all fingers of the right hand on the club, but with the left I put the index finger over the right hand, reverse vardon, more control than the 10 finger grip... for me, and just as much power.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

• 2 weeks later...

> @kejoal11 said:

> I use the 10 finger grip with the thumb of my left hand extended down the grip. I have better control and feel like i dont have to squeeze the club as hard. Have tried using other grips and do not hit the ball as well.

Trying the ten finger grip and feels too loose but if I extend the thumb down the grip so the meaty part of the base of my thumb touches the grip and the distal thumb and forefinger off the grip I feel I can better control of the long swing

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

> @HouAggie said:

> After 25yrs of Vardon, I switched to 10-finger due to pain/inflammation that I was experiencing in my right ring finger. I could barely shake someone’s hand without wincing. Pain went away with 10-finger and it was surprisingly easy to switch. If anything, it has also had a positive impact on my game. (typically right around scratch)

Just switched to 10 finger for the same exact reason. That finger has been killing me when playing before the switch. Played maybe my first full round today with the 10 finger and although I didn’t score well I hit my irons pretty well and hit 2-3 of the longest drives I’ve hit in a while. One thing I did notice was that I have a lot of work to do on getting my wedge feel with this grip. I had a terrible time with distant control from 50 yards and in.

Since 10-finger is the topic, one of the downfalls is setting the club fulcrum with the right hand. It shouldn't be, and I'm dropping a video here that you guys might find helpful. My comment above was actually found to be a culprit of my accuracy. So you can use 10-finger for sure, you also have to make sure you're not making it worse by trading one problem for another. Hope this helps.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Just wanted to post an update. Since switching to the 10-finger grip about a month or so ago, I feel as if I'm finally acclimated to using it. I no longer have any wrist pain when I play, which is huge for me. But, I have also noticed that my club speed has increased. My average 7-iron swing has gone up about 4mph and my driver speed is about 5mph (though my driver speed is still much slower than it should be given how I fast I swing my other clubs). Other than the 10-finger grip, I haven't really made any changes that would account for the increased speed. It may be totally mental for me (when using the interlocking grip, I may have been holding back slightly for fear of hurting wrist), but whatever it is, I love the extra speed and distance. YMMV.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @"T.B." said:

> BrandonDunes wrote:

>

>

>

> I use it on all my shots, I started out with an overlocking grip, can't go back. It doesn't feel like I have as much control of the face without a 10 finger grip

>

>

>

>

>

>

> That’s what I’m hoping to feel is a little more in control. Thanks

I use a 10 finger grip and love it. Just make sure there's no "gap" between the hands. Keep them as close as possible on the club.