Hilton Head scouting trip - non golf info

SecondandGoal

The wife and I are headed to HH at the end of the month for my birthday and a scouting trip. Considering purchasing a condo down there to get away from the northeast winters for a couple months a year. The biggest part of the trip, beyond a little break to pay some away golf and celebrating my birthday, is to get a feel for the area, and figure out if HH is somewhere we could spend a couple months in the winter.

As a little background, it's my 50th coming up, she's a couple years older. Kids are all grown, no grandchildren yet (that we know of), so we're looking to avoid the "kid-friendly" places, though I'd not expect a lot of families vacationing there this time of year from what I've heard. Neither of us are big fans of fine dining/fancy restaurants. When it's just the two of us, we generally prefer to sit at the bar if it's an option, gives us a chance to possibly talk to other folks and socialize a bit.

We are staying in the Holiday Inn Express near the Coligny Park area, and that's probably the general area we'll be looking at properties, or at least the south end of the island in general, as we'll be looking to rent the place as an income property when we are not using it.

So... Whatcha got for restaurant recommendations, and ideas for things we should do beyond golf to get a feel for what the island is like? I've seen a little info here and there on the site, but nothing that relates directly to what I'm looking for.

Riely's is a good casual place. It's near Sea Pines Circle. We haven't been for a few years. but we used to stay a Ocean One, which is next door to the Holiday Inn. It's an older place, but always well maintained. We also stayed at a condo on the other side of the circle. It is the last one on the beach before you get in the houses, just north of the circle. I can't remember the name, but it was very nice.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> The wife and I are headed to HH at the end of the month for my birthday and a scouting trip. Considering purchasing a condo down there to get away from the northeast winters for a couple months a year. The biggest part of the trip, beyond a little break to pay some away golf and celebrating my birthday, is to get a feel for the area, and figure out if HH is somewhere we could spend a couple months in the winter.

>

> As a little background, it's my 50th coming up, she's a couple years older. Kids are all grown, no grandchildren yet (that we know of), so we're looking to avoid the "kid-friendly" places, though I'd not expect a lot of families vacationing there this time of year from what I've heard. Neither of us are big fans of fine dining/fancy restaurants. When it's just the two of us, we generally prefer to sit at the bar if it's an option, gives us a chance to possibly talk to other folks and socialize a bit.

>

> We are staying in the Holiday Inn Express near the Coligny Park area, and that's probably the general area we'll be looking at properties, or at least the south end of the island in general, as we'll be looking to rent the place as an income property when we are not using it.

>

> So... Whatcha got for restaurant recommendations, and ideas for things we should do beyond golf to get a feel for what the island is like? I've seen a little info here and there on the site, but nothing that relates directly to what I'm looking for.

Sandbar is a new restaurant within the last couple years and is an easy walk; just on the other side of the coliginy circle from you. It's quickly become a go-to for me.

Flatbread is right in that area and has really good happy hour deals in the bar area. One Hot Mamas is a BBQ type restaurant and really popular; long waits in the summer months. It's one of my family's favorites; about a 5 min drive from Coliginy area.

If you end up looking at properties in the South Forest Beach area my family has a condo at Courtside Villas which is a couple rows off the beach and we really like the complex. Not sure what's currently on the market there. We had a group in our golf trip rent a condo at the property caddy corner from us; I think it's the Island House Villas on S. Forest Beach Ave just across from the beach. That was a nice complex as well. South Forest Beach is a great area with good restaurants and Coliginy shopping center in walking distance. There is a new park under construction right now which you'll see when you visit; this is supposed to be completed next spring which will be great for the area as well. If you have any questions let me know. I don't pretend to be a local but I'm there 3-4 times a year and know the area pretty well.

> @Cincy_Ken said:

>

> Sandbar is a new restaurant within the last couple years and is an easy walk; just on the other side of the coliginy circle from you. It's quickly become a go-to for me.

> Flatbread is right in that area and has really good happy hour deals in the bar area. One Hot Mamas is a BBQ type restaurant and really popular; long waits in the summer months. It's one of my family's favorites; about a 5 min drive from Coliginy area.

>

> If you end up looking at properties in the South Forest Beach area my family has a condo at Courtside Villas which is a couple rows off the beach and we really like the complex. Not sure what's currently on the market there. We had a group in our golf trip rent a condo at the property caddy corner from us; I think it's the Island House Villas on S. Forest Beach Ave just across from the beach. That was a nice complex as well. South Forest Beach is a great area with good restaurants and Coliginy shopping center in walking distance. There is a new park under construction right now which you'll see when you visit; this is supposed to be completed next spring which will be great for the area as well. If you have any questions let me know. I don't pretend to be a local but I'm there 3-4 times a year and know the area pretty well.

Thanks for all the info, Ken! Just looked at the menu for Sandbar and One Hot Mama's, and they've got me drooling. Flatbread looks really cool, too.

I appreciate the feedback on the complexes as well. South Forest Beach is our main target area. We want to find a place relatively close to the beach so we can maximize summer rental income, and that area seems to have the best balance between property price and beach accessibility.

Near Sea Pines Circle alone...

Charbar for burgers > * on the island for burgers. And it's not just the burgers, get the loaded fries. It's about 1 million calories, but you'll burn that off tomorrow.

Next door is the Whiskey Room (you have to either know the code on the door, or go in through CharBar's bookcase.)

Pizza, FatBabys (New England style, as they went to school up heah) and really good.

Rileys for Steaks, One Hot Mommas for the wings (and other comfort foods).

Near Caligny, you have some other good restaurants too with one of our faves being Aunt Chiladas.

As for other food, the island (and just off) are rife with culinary choices, which is why the wife and I like it so. We'll be there in 9 days for a couple weeks. If you're looking for something special, there are quite a few options.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Just wanted to add my two cents. We purchased a place in 2016 in Folly Field area (Fiddler’s Cove), which is just a mile or two from Shelter Cove. For beach properties, they were priced very well although they have gone up over the past couple years. Rental wise, we basically stay booked from January thru August. September is hit or miss and we typically don’t rent much from October to December unless it’s friends or family. Follly Field has a public beach access and our community also offers a private access that is only about 400 yards from the complex. The Westin is also less than 1/2 mile away.

As far as food goes, our favorite is A Low Country Back Yard. Harold’s Diner is a hole in the wall but has great burgers. Also, World of Beer in Shelter Cove is a great place to go for happy hour. $5 appetizers make a great meal if you like street tacos and margherita flatbread.

Oh, if you like breakfast, go to Stacks and get their famous Creme Brulee French Toast.

Gruby's for Deli sandwiches

And Bullies, for BBQ (Hole in wall, but awesome).

And jmac, noted low country backyard. Thanks.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @jmac13 said:

> Just wanted to add my two cents. We purchased a place in 2016 in Folly Field area (Fiddler’s Cove), which is just a mile or two from Shelter Cove. For beach properties, they were priced very well although they have gone up over the past couple years. Rental wise, we basically stay booked from January thru August. September is hit or miss and we typically don’t rent much from October to December unless it’s friends or family. Follly Field has a public beach access and our community also offers a private access that is only about 400 yards from the complex. The Westin is also less than 1/2 mile away.

>

> As far as food goes, our favorite is A Low Country Back Yard. Harold’s Diner is a hole in the wall but has great burgers. Also, World of Beer in Shelter Cove is a great place to go for happy hour. $5 appetizers make a great meal if you like street tacos and margherita flatbread.

jmac, thanks for that info on the rental occupation rate. That's pretty much what I figured, and was hoping to hear. I wouldn't expect much in the way of rental income during hurricane season. If you don't mind me asking, how many br/bath/square feet is your place, and what do you typically get per night?

Breakfast- Stacks, French Kiss Bakery, Bad Biscuit

Lunch- Java Burrito

Dinner- A Lowcountry Backyard, Salty Dog

Drinks- Frosty Frog

Driver: Stealth Plus 10.5* Ventus Red
Fairway: Ping G400 17* Tour AD-DI
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21* Tour AD-DI
Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 4 and 5 iron Steelfiber i95
Irons: New Level 623 CB Aerotech Steelfiber i80
Wedges: Fourteen RM-4 50*, 56* and 61*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

• 4 weeks later...

Our recent trip to HH was great. Everyone was very friendly with lots of folks who had moved down there and had no regrets whatsoever.

Sandbar was solid for casual dining outdoors. Hudson's on the Dock was terrific for seafood and we cooked in one night with fresh seafood from Barnacle Bill's. A true seafood shack!

Old Town Bluffton was enjoyable and it was golf club/course row on 278. Fun to see all the names.

Will be back. (Just not sure when).

Wife and I finally got into Pomodori after getting a reservation. Now I know why it's hard to get into, because the food and wine are 2nd to none for Italian. Small space, quality food and service. Will be in the regular rotation every year when we're down there.

--kC

Forgot to mention... we wound up doing my birthday dinner at Sage. Not particularly easy to find, set back from the road (Pope Blvd near Coligny Plaza).

Higher end restaurant, not cheap, but absolutely fantastic. We sat at the "Chef's Table", which is basically 10-seat bar overlooking the surprisingly small cooking area. Had a 22-ounce ribeye that might have been the best piece of steak I've ever had. Rivaled the 44-ounce ribeye for two the wife and I had at Uncle Jack's in NYC. Great ambiance, not cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for. Would strongly recommend if you are looking for a nice night out (perfect if you have a non-golfing wife and need to make up for playing 36 holes in a day).

• 1 month later...