Am I a candidate for going heavier in my iron shafts?

Z1ggy16

The EI profile info does support that. Much stiffer in the butt/upper mid and tip. It basically looks like an R300 style profile built for stronger swingers, here is an overlay.

screen-shot-2020-06-02-at-12-12-47-pm.png

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To @Z1ggy16 IME moving from 120g to 100g is too drastic of a change. Reason why Aerotech made Steelfiber 110, 115 and 125 weight graphite/steel shafts, for better amateurs and touring pros transitioning to lighter shafts to gain some SS. Keep in mind, the TT-AMT White Pro S or X line are flighted shafts, 106g in long iron down to 130g in PW. I am currently testing a 95-S shaft in my 3iron and each time I find myself overswing. I will test it one more weekend then more than likely re-install 110-S.
I went from 120-6.0 to 95-S and it didn't work, partly due to "my" aggressive tempo and transition. Light shafts and fast tempo only work in X. When I switched to i110-S they feel much better especially in 6-3 irons. I just had 125-S installed in SW-7i which feel much better too. You could almost say they are similar to flighted. I wish you luck in the hunt.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Wow. This chart is illuminating for me. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend the cash to get legit fitted through the whole bag if I want to elevate my game. No wonder I struggle with hooks and my misses are off the toe when I feel like my tempo gets quick. Based on the chart, my clubs are WAY TOO LIGHT.

My shaft progression is:

D (44.5") 55g/stiff

4W (42.5") 65g/regular

3H & 4H - 70g/regular

5i-GW - 95g/regular

SW/LW - 118g/wedge flex

Driver swing speed is in the 100-105 range. Get between 240-250 carry out of it.

7-iron (31 degrees) carries 170.

Even if my driver shaft were correctly weighted at 55g (and it probably isn't), and not even accounting for flex, my hybrid and iron shafts are a good 20-30g light based on the chart.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

X100s over S400/300/200 and stay away from Modus if you like the feel of True Temper as it's totally different.

X100s have great feel and are surprisingly soft for how "stiff" they are. You could potentially soft step or use X100 120s/AMTs if you wanted something a bit lighter but again the feel of an X100 is outstanding.

So I added 12g of lead tape to the shaft and headed to the range today. I put 6g 1/2'' below the balance point, and 6g 1/2'' above the balance point. I may have honestly changed the flex of the shaft by doing that as it felt significantly "whippy-er" and everything was big cuts. However... I was basically middling everything and my strike pattern was much better.

Just purchased a 6i x100 pull off a guy on Facebook for $20, so I'll be trying that out next week. If that feels really good and gets rid of the pushes... I'll order a set. If I don't like it, I'll probably go to S400 next.

He's 100% right. For some players the heavier shafts just end up putting everything in the right place and smoothing out the tempo, and easily letting the club lag behind the hands. Absolutely, you should try it. Your instincts are probably right, but you'll know pretty quickly. If you're a little hesitant, try replacing one shaft in one iron first and see what happens. Super easy to put it back if you don't like the outcome.

Adding weight like that will undoubtedly make the shaft feel more flexible. If you're striking the ball more consistently, only time will overcome that squirrelly feeling. TT S400 are 132 grams, heavier than X100 at 130. IME S400 plays just like S300 except for the feel of added weight. Keep in mind, increasing SW can influence ball striking and feel without actually going to heavier weight shafts.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Switching to Modus Tour 130s X-Stiff soft stepped a couple years ago have really made my iron play a much more enjoyable part of my game. I've gone heavier on shafts through out my bag now up to 70 in the driver and 80 in my 3 wood. Thinking about increasing the weight of those clubs as well.

I feel that the heavier weight helps me smooth my swing out and has made me more accurate then I had been in the past.

• 2 years later...

I recently went to Club Champion for a quick tune up/check of my equipment. One thing I was most interested in was my iron shafts. I had been playing Modus Pro 105 X flex in my 5-PW T100s irons for a little over a year. I moved into the Modus 105 from PX 6.0 for the obvious reason--was thinking it would help me pickup a few more yards with a lighter shaft. I liked the Modus for a good amount of time but more recently I had started to experience what I can only describe is loss of feel of the clubhead during backswing and I felt like my tempo was inconsistent and difficult to control. This feeling translated to some more inconsistency in strikes than I'd experienced after first moving into the Modus 105. Frankly, it also seemed like I had lost about 5-10 yards in the last couple months. This was especially surprising/concerning considering I'd gotten back into the gym recently and know I'd made some strength and flexibility gains. 

As with typical Club Champion fittings, I hit a number of shots to start out with my gamer 6 iron after getting warmed up. I was averaging 165-170 carry with ok, but not great dispersion and pretty inconsistent strikes. My fitter immediately said yeah "those shafts are way too light." We tried a Modus 120 X next--in which I saw a modest gain in distance and dispersion. Then we went to Modus 125 X--again picked up even a little more distance and dispersion got even better. Most noticeable for me was that I felt like I could feel the club again the whole time during my swing, which led to overall much more solid feeling strikes (which was validated by the trackman data). We ended up settling on an Accra iSeries Green 125 X with which I was averaging 175-180 carry and much tighter dispersion. 

In sum, it was strange but for me my golf swing and/or body had clearly experienced some subtle changes recently that led to a heavier shaft performing much better for me. Just another example of golf being complicated and never straightforward! 

1 hour ago, lbsc1985 said:

I recently went to Club Champion for a quick tune up/check of my equipment. One thing I was most interested in was my iron shafts. I had been playing Modus Pro 105 X flex in my 5-PW T100s irons for a little over a year. I moved into the Modus 105 from PX 6.0 for the obvious reason--was thinking it would help me pickup a few more yards with a lighter shaft. I liked the Modus for a good amount of time but more recently I had started to experience what I can only describe is loss of feel of the clubhead during backswing and I felt like my tempo was inconsistent and difficult to control. This feeling translated to some more inconsistency in strikes than I'd experienced after first moving into the Modus 105. Frankly, it also seemed like I had lost about 5-10 yards in the last couple months. This was especially surprising/concerning considering I'd gotten back into the gym recently and know I'd made some strength and flexibility gains. 

As with typical Club Champion fittings, I hit a number of shots to start out with my gamer 6 iron after getting warmed up. I was averaging 165-170 carry with ok, but not great dispersion and pretty inconsistent strikes. My fitter immediately said yeah "those shafts are way too light." We tried a Modus 120 X next--in which I saw a modest gain in distance and dispersion. Then we went to Modus 125 X--again picked up even a little more distance and dispersion got even better. Most noticeable for me was that I felt like I could feel the club again the whole time during my swing, which led to overall much more solid feeling strikes (which was validated by the trackman data). We ended up settling on an Accra iSeries Green 125 X with which I was averaging 175-180 carry and much tighter dispersion. 

In sum, it was strange but for me my golf swing and/or body had clearly experienced some subtle changes recently that led to a heavier shaft performing much better for me. Just another example of golf being complicated and never straightforward! 

How did you manage to find this after literally 2.5 yrs since last post lol.

I'm in 125g now, going for iron fit next Friday, I imagine I'll end up in the 120-125g range still. I'm actually not sure where I'll end up as far as what shaft, I recently got px LS and got very good results but I know graphite is getting a bit more popular these days.