New Nike Tour golf ball--RZN

liketogolf

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='sarge' timestamp='1283451026' post='2675827']
Think vertically. Imagine you have a ball that is a heavy golf ball exterior but HOLLOW on the inside (but for this purpose it will compress like a normal ball). Hit it with a driver and imagine the outcome, then hit it with a wedge and do the same. This is the principle mentioned on the OP about vertical spin. Because a golf club is lofted vertically, the ball will tend toward forward and backspin and resist sidespin much like a gyro because of the angle of attack...the dominant plane will take over almost completely...causing nearly all the spin to be on the Y axis (forward/backspin) and not the X axis (side spin).

Its just a theory...but to me it sounds like a ball that isn't very workable. What If I WANT to play a draw, or slice something around a tree thats in my way?
[/quote]

sounds right to me, im in AP Physics and AP calc so i get what your saying.

to put it in laymans terms, club face is verticle so spin will be higher verticle but not horizontal (fighting the slice/hook, but removing workability)

[quote name='elementlax' timestamp='1283479400' post='2676668']
Think vertically. Imagine you have a ball that is a heavy golf ball exterior but HOLLOW on the inside (but for this purpose it will compress like a normal ball). Hit it with a driver and imagine the outcome, then hit it with a wedge and do the same. This is the principle mentioned on the OP about vertical spin. Because a golf club is lofted vertically, the ball will tend toward forward and backspin and resist sidespin much like a gyro because of the angle of attack...the dominant plane will take over almost completely...causing nearly all the spin to be on the Y axis (forward/backspin) and not the X axis (side spin).

Its just a theory...but to me it sounds like a ball that isn't very workable. What If I WANT to play a draw, or slice something around a tree thats in my way?
[/quote]

to put it in laymans terms, club face is verticle so spin will be higher verticle but not horizontal (fighting the slice/hook, but removing workability)
[/quote]

Makes sense as far as the forgiveness aspect is concerned but I was thinking more for the "lower driver spin" and "higher wedge spin" that the ball is claiming. How would having this lighter internal core achieve this? Or do you guys think this accomplished by some other feature of the ball?

as a side note, good luck on the AP exams...Calc isn't so bad but Physics is awful. But that was about 5 years ago so I hope it has changed for your sake. haha.

I was just thinking the other day could they make golf balls any better besides marginal improvements like durability, but with this thread and the new ProV thread its got me excited a the thought of real improvements in golf balls I'm still going to wait out for the day when they make the golf balls from dark matter then that's when we will see the unbelievable things a golf ball can do.

[quote name='LightningSTL26' timestamp='1283485766' post='2676832']
[quote name='elementlax' timestamp='1283479400' post='2676668']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Makes sense as far as the forgiveness aspect is concerned but I was thinking more for the "lower driver spin" and "higher wedge spin" that the ball is claiming. How would having this lighter internal core achieve this? Or do you guys think this accomplished by some other feature of the ball?

as a side note, good luck on the AP exams...Calc isn't so bad but Physics is awful. But that was about 5 years ago so I hope it has changed for your sake. haha.
[/quote]

I guess they are banking on the idea that everyone will hit this ball with the ideal swing. Upswing on the driver, downswing on irons/wedge. The idea would be that ball is going to spin in whichever direction it is being forced. Apparently even with the loft of the driver an upward strike would negate the usual amount of spin.

With mass towards the outside whichever way the initial direction is it will roll that way more quickly. That's my guess at least.

Hollow cored golf balls was a concept a few years ago that never took off. It looks like hollow could be the way now....[url="http://www.mkearnsreporter.com/HollowGolfBall.html"]Hollow Core Golf Ball 2006[/url]

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

[/quote]

If you were playing this ball off the tee, you wouldn't be behind the tree to start with! LOL :cheesy:

i played 9 holes with this ball last night.. i was really excited to play it! first the ball feels softer even to the touch. it has a stickier pro v type cover as opposed to the more slick bridgestone feel. very nice off the putter. BTW bridgestone no longer makes nike balls and its not disclosed who is making the new nike ball but my bet is srixon. overall this ball is ok. i play the tour D now and love it. this ball seems to rise and float with the driver. they say that its supposed to be lower spining off the tee but i found that to be not to true, at least compared to the tour d for me. this will be nikes only tour ball offering for awhile so it looks like i might be trying out the aldila green rip to help take the spin off the new ball. i have the v grooves on my irons and the ball did spin considerably more with the RZN. i am going to go on trackman now to see if i can tell any more differences for me personally!

[quote name='corky' timestamp='1283455639' post='2675963']
More Forgiving?

What does this mean? ...... after you've knifed it over the back, you bend over to pick it up and it says 'nevermind you'll do better next time'???
[/quote]

Hehe hahahh! too funny!
And does anyone else see how absolutely full of crap this is about "more forgiving" "lighter" and "faster" ball we are reading here. Dang that Nike has a lot of money.

Got to try one. Nice distance, but not earth shattering, but it is pretty nice off the tee, but better with the short irons. It checks up well and will come back if well struck. Nice feel off the putter. Liked the ball, but right now, I couldn't tell the difference between the One Tour and this one.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Surprised noone has mentioned the similarities between this balls technology and the old Maxfli A10

Dr: Cobra LTD Black Diamana LTD D+ 70x 
4W Cobra LTD Black Diamana LTD D+ 70x 
3i Srixon U45 Modus 105x 
4i Srixon 745 Modus 130x 
5-PW Srixon 945 Modus 130x 
50-56-60 Mizuno T7

Piretti Matera
Scotty TeI 3 Newport 2 Long Neck
B-Stone Tour BX

Could have sworn I saw this ball on a closeup of Tiger's ball this week. Anyone else see that?

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

• 1 month later...

[quote name='crazyhairjake' timestamp='1288376071' post='2765233']
[quote name='RJG' timestamp='1284330576' post='2692864']
any new info on these?
[/quote]

Not sure when they were added, but I was checking the USGA conforming golf ball list today and saw they were added. Probably going to have pro staff testing/put in play now that they are conforming.
[/quote]

That's very cool. I've played the One * Tour D and think that is a great ball because it gives you the distance of the Tour D with the soft feel and spin of the One Tour. If this is better, I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks for the updated info! :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='poppman4242' timestamp='1283435661' post='2675345']
Softest ball I have ever hit..... If you have non conforming grooves be ready to cut balls up a lot.
[/quote]

This just hit me....with the major shift this year to 'conforming grooves' are we going to see super soft balls to make up the difference? I plan to play the older grooves as long as I can...so I may need to stock up on balls.

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BlueChip0528' timestamp='1288579589' post='2768389']
[quote name='crazyhairjake' timestamp='1288376071' post='2765233']
[quote name='RJG' timestamp='1284330576' post='2692864']
any new info on these?
[/quote]

Not sure when they were added, but I was checking the USGA conforming golf ball list today and saw they were added. Probably going to have pro staff testing/put in play now that they are conforming.
[/quote]

That's very cool. I've played the One * Tour D and think that is a great ball because it gives you the distance of the Tour D with the soft feel and spin of the One Tour. If this is better, I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks for the updated info! :)
[/quote]

Was informed by Nike today that the One * Tour D has the exact specs that the One Tour D has. Only difference is the * on the ball's cover. Psyched to play the RZN when it gets out.

Just an update to the info. Love the ball, however. :)

-TJ

[quote name='poppman4242' timestamp='1283435661' post='2675345']
I have a few and they seem to be shorter off the driver and irons. Softest ball I have ever hit, with crazy spin around the greens. Almost too soft. Not much feel off the putter. If you have non conforming grooves be ready to cut balls up a lot. This was just based off of 9 holes though.
[/quote]

+1 on your comments. I was not a fan of the feel off the putter either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='liketogolf' timestamp='1283433223' post='2675281']
Introducing the New NIKE Golf Ball! Code Name PROTOTYPE RZN.

The key to this golf ball is the new material used in the CORE. This ball uses a resin material in the core and is the first ball in 10 years to be made of something other than solid rubber. This will change the way golf balls are made in the future and is a huge jump in technology. With a lighter core, more weight can be moved to the perimeter which actually produces a more forgiving golf ball. The lightweight new material also produces much faster ball speeds. My spin on the ball is this...

This is the first ball I feel has ever changed the way a shot felt when coming off the face. It wasn't the club. It was the ball. I noticed a hotter feel off the driver and an incredible soft feel around green. The light core really gives this ball a new and interesting feel. Nothing on the market even compares. Even when the golf ball is in your hand, you can feel that the cover is much softer and the ball feels overall lighter.

The three key points of this new ball are:

Faster ball speeds - Average of 3 mph

Highest MOI ever for a golf Ball - More Forgiving and tighter shot dispersion

Steeper Spin Slope (relationship of Driver spin to wedge spin) - 150 rpm less driver spin and 300 rpm more wedge spin than the Nike One Tour (an already high spinnig ball).

[/quote]

It may just be me but I I dont want MORE spin on high end balls. In my opinion most have more than enough and adding more actually makes it harder to control. I still hunting for my ball of choice and was hoping to give this new ball a shot but it its going to spin more I may pass.