Ping Anser Forged Irons Review

[quote name='Headshot' timestamp='1313594740' post='3495595']
Take the high ball flight...it is easier to learn to hit the ball down than to try to hit it higher when you need to....just take 2 more clubs than you would normally need, choke down an inch, and hit a smooth 3/4 swing.

I hate this thread, I hate this forum, I hate that I am iron shopping and had to read all of this.......anyone loan me some money? :secret:
[/quote]

Lol I feel the same. I keep thinking about selling my S56's but I really hit them well. My compromise will be to buy the wedges.

[b]D[/b]: Ping G15 9*
[b]FW[/b]: Ping G15 4w
[b]H[/b]: Ping G10 21*
[b]I[/b]: Ping i3 O-size 4-W
[b]W[/b]: Eye 2 SW, G15 G, Eye 2+ L
[b]P[/b]: Taylor Made Monza Spider

[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1313555379' post='3494603']
[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1313538866' post='3493631']
Out to give these a quick spin. I have great expectations.
[/quote]

and.......
[/quote]

They feel pretty good not as soft as some forgings, but a good feel. They seem to be about a club longer than the Callaway mb's. Very forgiving as all Pings are. The long irons seem a little chunky but nothing I can't get over. I would prefer a thinner sole on all of them. We'll see how they play on Sunday. I really love the wedges , hope the rest if the set is as good. I don't have my woods yet.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1313624992' post='3497284']
[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1313555379' post='3494603']
[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1313538866' post='3493631']
Out to give these a quick spin. I have great expectations.
[/quote]

and.......
[/quote]

They feel pretty good not as soft as some forgings, but a good feel. They seem to be about a club longer than the Callaway mb's. Very forgiving as all Pings are. The long irons seem a little chunky but nothing I can't get over. I would prefer a thinner sole on all of them. We'll see how they play on Sunday. I really love the wedges , hope the rest if the set is as good. I don't have my woods yet.
[/quote]

long irons also have negative bounce, which makes hitting off a tight lie really easy, and negating the "chunkiness" factor

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

Well one round with these so far. AT first I was hitting a lot of shots towards the toe, which didn't really matter because of how forgiving they are. By the ninth hole I adjusted then proceeded to make birdie, eagle both with irons into the greens. So for now, they are keepers.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

• 3 months later...

After long time personal ban on all ping products, I played all the Adams products ,forged and cast, I tried a set of ansers and was impressed. Comparison of adams A12, CC1, all with KBS tour 90 R hard stepped, anser irons with identical shafts and lofts seem to be softer and easier to hit. May be my imagination, but will continue to try them. Pricey new, but not bad used if in good condition

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1313721297' post='3500954']
Well one round with these so far. AT first I was hitting a lot of shots towards the toe, which didn't really matter because of how forgiving they are. By the ninth hole I adjusted then proceeded to make birdie, eagle both with irons into the greens. So for now, they are keepers.
[/quote]
ARE THEY FORGIVING ?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a set of these and I love them. To me, was worth the extra premium for these irons for the bling factor, the looks, the feel and the playability. I am a 15 handicap and I was playing Cobra FP's and Mizuno MX-100's prior to these clubs. When Richard said these are the super car of irons he was not kidding. Here is my story.
I was playing the Mizunos and I lost the 8-iron at a local muni. Needless to say, I didn't get it back despite repeated calls to the pro shop. I went to golf town and found that the Mizunos were not in production any longer and I could not order an 8 iron so what to do? I went home and though about it and decided it was time for a new set of irons that were fit for me, forged, and forgiving. Actually, being forged was a consideration as I really don;t mind a cast club with a softer ball. I went to my local Golf town and mistook the price on the Ansers to be 799.00 due to a misplaced price tag. I went to the sim and hit the 6 iron I got off the shelf with a standard lie and the Project X 5.0 shaft. I hit shot after shot and was totally impressed with the feel and the dispersion I was getting with the Pings. Then I found out the price and I thought that that was the end of that.
In the next week I went back to golf town several times and hit Callawy Razr's, Taylor r-11's, CB's and Burner 2's, Mizuno JPX-800 Pro's, Ping I-15's and G-20's, and compared all to the Ping Ansers. Funny thing was that after doing the comparisons I told the sales guy that the Ansers were like driving a Ferrari and the rest were like driving a Chevy. No comparison for me. I seriously considered the Callaway Razr;s and the Taylor Burners for the price and performance and I priced each with the Project X 5.5 shaft which I had settled on the shaft for me. All of a sudden, these clubs price point climbed dramatically on a custom order with the Project X shafts, a 1/2 in. extra length in the shafts and midsize grips. The extra 100.00 that it was going to cost me for the Pings became insignificant as I stated before, the Ferrari to Chevy comparison. Also you can't beat Ping's custom fitting. So nuff said.I bought the Ping's and couldn't be happier. This iron flat out performs as a good buddy of mine found out in Palm Springs back in January. LOL :-]
If your buying off the rack maybe the Ansers are not for you They are pricey. If you care about your game, are going to keep your clubs for a few years. like the idea of a custom fit club that feels as sweet as can be with no extra charge shaft options, and like the fact that you are playing something unique that will get noticed then seriously consider the Ping Ansers. Like I said, compared to the Anser, the rest are just Chevy's, produced and made for the masses.

Cheers!!!

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1330395876' post='4392289']
i just started playing with my Ansers this year and they are straight butter. The dispersing is super tight and these have to be one of the best feeling forged clubs out there. These blow away the CB and MB 712's which i have hit a lot
[/quote]

What shafts do you have in them?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Great review, I was lucky enough to pick up a second hand set of Ansers and a couple of tour-s wedges too. I had been using G10's for a few years and had plateaued as far as my handicap went. I am a modest golfer ,play enough, and these irons were like a revelation, within two months had had a pb of 79 off the bat, which gave me a net 63.They came with project x 5.0 shafts and believe I get an added 10 m per club, although at times this is more.Thanks for your review Richard, I bought these wonderful clubs as a result of your review and in 3 months I have shaved two strokes off my handicap and expect that to be much lower once I really get to know them. 10/10 Ping love em.

• 9 years later...

Giant bump from the distant past.

Managed to pick up a set of 2010 model Ping Anser Forged (heads only) for $88 for a 4-PW set.  I've been building a bunch of forged iron sets for myself, and was always on the lookout for some Pings.  I knew they didn't do a lot of forged heads, but it wasn't until I started reading about these that I understood why.  Based on the photos face condition still looks good, with the light milling still present.  Small amount of bag chatter, and some of the paint fill is dirty.

I'll post pics when they arrive.

• Like 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter