Ping Anser Forged Irons Review

[quote name='newportbeach' timestamp='1301671549' post='3109418']
[quote name='minhjn' timestamp='1301639637' post='3108545']
my set has arrived. can't wait!
[/quote]

Great! What shafts did you get and specs? Please post some feedback after you've had a chance to play with them.
[/quote]

I got them with PX 6.0, orange dot lie angle, and D4 swingweight, everything else is standard. I've been raving about them so far

Here is my review that I just did

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/460600-ping-anser-irons-review/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/460600-ping-anser-irons-review/[/url]

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

• 1 month later...

Well being a club Ho for the last couple of years I finally have found [b]Utopia[/b]...recently I made a committment to a coach (found someone that I thought has the knowledge, experince and gets where I am coming from to take me to the next level)...however, he wanted me to make a committment to a set of sticks and stay with them. So I ran out and bought a set of G15 irons (KBS Tour stiff shafts) as I have always hit these at the store and on demo days and have always hit them so good...of course I love the look and prestige of the [b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b] irons but did'nt think i wanted to spend that kind of money?

Anyway one day I go back to the store where I bought my G15 irons for somehting (I forget) and there sitting on the rack is a set of traded in [b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b] irons (4-PW) and they are hardly used...the guy (who I trust) tells me that it was a very good player that owned them and he is a club ho and just wanted something different...they did not have many hits on them either...so I started negotiating with him and eventually we got to an agreement and I had them swap my KBS Tour shafts into the [b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b] irons and bend them to my specs (they were black dot and I needed them a little more upright).

Like I said in the beggining of this post I have found Utopia "for me"...these are "by far" the sweetest irons I have ever owned and they work so well for my game it is not even funny...also once I showed up with them for my next lesson being a little concerned that my Pro might not like the fact that I had already swapped irons...I come to find out that my Pro did not really think the G15 irons were the best iron for my game (I am a 7 handicap) and he made some comments about that now we have irons we can move forward with (I S&T and the offset on the G15 irons was giving me some issues keeping it from going left) but I guess he was willing to work with what we had and then maybe later we would have made a change.

Based on the comments made on this thread I like to say when it comes to iron choices the best thing I can say is "To each his own" but these these irons are as good as they come for the following reasons (in my humble opinion):

[u]Feel[/u] = [b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b] plus KBS Tour stiff = Butter

[u]Forgiveness[/u] = have very good feedback for mis-hits but are forgiving...I define "forgiving" as distance control...meaning if you put a bad move on any club you can still hit a shank etc...but I am looking for an iron that if not hit purely each time I still am close to the yardage I expected because I am not a pro and do not have 8 hours a day to groove my swing

[u]Looks[/u] = [b]AWE[/b]...wait for it...[b]SOME![/b]

Plus they are made my PING which is one of the best club makers on the planet!!!

:smilie_ping: [b][color="#8B0000"] [size="3"]ANSER[/size][/color][/b]

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

[quote name='i-Guy2' timestamp='1305641360' post='3240925']
Well being a club Ho for the last couple of years I finally have found [b]Utopia[/b]...recently I made a committment to a coach (found someone that I thought has the knowledge, experince and gets where I am coming from to take me to the next level)...however, he wanted me to make a committment to a set of sticks and stay with them. So I ran out and bought a set of G15 irons (KBS Tour stiff shafts) as I have always hit these at the store and on demo days and have always hit them so good...of course I love the look and prestige of the [b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b] irons but did'nt think i wanted to spend that kind of money?

Anyway one day I go back to the store where I bought my G15 irons for somehting (I forget) and there sitting on the rack is a set of traded in [b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b] irons (4-PW) and they are hardly used...the guy (who I trust) tells me that it was a very good player that owned them and he is a club ho and just wanted something different...they did not have many hits on them either...so I started negotiating with him and eventually we got to an agreement and I had them swap my KBS Tour shafts into the [b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b] irons and bend them to my specs (they were black dot and I needed them a little more upright).

Like I said in the beggining of this post I have found Utopia "for me"...these are "by far" the sweetest irons I have ever owned and they work so well for my game it is not even funny...also once I showed up with them for my next lesson being a little concerned that my Pro might not like the fact that I had already swapped irons...I come to find out that my Pro did not really think the G15 irons were the best iron for my game (I am a 7 handicap) and he made some comments about that now we have irons we can move forward with (I S&T and the offset on the G15 irons was giving me some issues keeping it from going left) but I guess he was willing to work with what we had and then maybe later we would have made a change.

Based on the comments made on this thread I like to say when it comes to iron choices the best thing I can say is "To each his own" but these these irons are as good as they come for the following reasons (in my humble opinion):

[u]Feel[/u] = [b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b] plus KBS Tour stiff = Butter

[u]Forgiveness[/u] = have very good feedback for mis-hits but are forgiving...I define "forgiving" as distance control...meaning if you put a bad move on any club you can still hit a shank etc...but I am looking for an iron that if not hit purely each time I still am close to the yardage I expected because I am not a pro and do not have 8 hours a day to groove my swing

[u]Looks[/u] = [b]AWE[/b]...wait for it...[b]SOME![/b]

Plus they are made my PING which is one of the best club makers on the planet!!!

:smilie_ping: [b][color="#8B0000"] [size="3"]ANSER[/size][/color][/b]
[/quote]

WELCOME to the club. These are great irons, I'm enjoying them as well.

I've hit the Anser irons indoors off of mats for a while now, but I've been waiting to order a set until I had the chance to hit them outside in some different shaft options. Well the chance came thanks to a great Ping rep who collected up every Anser demo iron he could find. I hit them with a number of different shafts (DGs300, Project X, KBS, AWT, Nippon Modus 120, and TFC graphite). The worst shaft to me was the AWT with the best being the KBS (the DGs300s were a close second). Surprisingly, the graphite also felt nice but too light for my taste. As far as flight, the graphite was highest with Project X and AWT next, then KBS being a bit higher than the DGs300s. Lowest shaft was the Nippon Modus shafts. The Nippons felt very nice and I imagine have a similar flight pattern as the new KBS C Tapers. I went with the KBS shafts which the rep told me has been the number one seller in this region with PX being second. Bottom line = my set is coming soon and I cannot wait :) great irons IMO with looks, forgiveness and awesome performance for me.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

[quote name='newportbeach' timestamp='1305662583' post='3242072']
I've hit the Anser irons indoors off of mats for a while now, but I've been waiting to order a set until I had the chance to hit them outside in some different shaft options. Well the chance came thanks to a great Ping rep who collected up every Anser demo iron he could find. I hit them with a number of different shafts (DGs300, Project X, KBS, AWT, Nippon Modus 120, and TFC graphite). The worst shaft to me was the AWT with the best being the KBS (the DGs300s were a close second). Surprisingly, the graphite also felt nice but too light for my taste. As far as flight, the graphite was highest with Project X and AWT next, then KBS being a bit higher than the DGs300s. Lowest shaft was the Nippon Modus shafts. The Nippons felt very nice and I imagine have a similar flight pattern as the new KBS C Tapers. I went with the KBS shafts which the rep told me has been the number one seller in this region with PX being second. Bottom line = my set is coming soon and I cannot wait :) great irons IMO with looks, forgiveness and awesome performance for me.
[/quote]

Congratulations! And like I said in my post earlier [b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b] + KBS Tour = Butter

:smilie_ping: [size="3"][b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b][/size]

[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff

[quote name='SALUKI LEFTY' timestamp='1305660430' post='3241948']
WELCOME to the club. These are great irons, I'm enjoying them as well.
[/quote]

Thanks and I went and checked out your linked WITB and I guess you are the left handed version of me or I am the right version of you...LMAO Check out my sig as I have an XCG-3 3 wood and I play the Tour S wedges also...and are you a white dot? That is what I web-fit for ping irons but I am playing flatter due to the S&T as I find that works better and I am hitting the ball on the sweet spot and at the end of the day that is what matter most!
:smilie_ping: [size="3"][b][color="#8B0000"]ANSER[/color][/b][/size]

Well well, im about to join the club soon.....I was playing a set of i15s with a wrx grind and switched to a set of s57s and then Oostie won the British with the s56s and i got a set of those and somehow my game fell apart so I went to the G15s which are pretty nice and forgiving and rocked by KJ at the time.....But G15s are so damn easy to hit that i lose focus so somehow I ended up with a set of 710MBs and then 710CBs which are wonderful clubs but then i had to break out my adams pvds which led me to dig out some epons out of the closet and they felt amazing, ans while looking for a set of miura cb501s, I stumbled acoss a set of anser irons with kbs xflex soft stepped twice....If they play anything like the i1s or G15s, they will be in the bag !!!

* I switch irons on a weekly/monthly basis but i have had the same putter for about 3 years and wedges for 5 years before switching to the adams wedge this year and my driver is pretty steady with the ft9-TA......what is it with irons that always encourages a switch ?????

Puresurfr wow that is a lot of diferent irons maybe the Ansers will stay for a bit longer than some of the others. I highly recommend them.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

I have a question for folks on here......

First off, I am likely in the minority here because I am on only my second set of irons in 30 years. I started with Ping Karsten I irons and after 18 years, bought my current Ping i3 Blades (that was when they were new, about 11 years ago).

I have resisted buying new clubs because I know that improvement comes from the player and not the clubs for the most part (technology aside). However, when I saw the new Anser irons, I melted. I also know that even by Ping standards, it has been said that their best models ever were the Eye 2 and the i3 series. I know there are a lot of lovers of the new irons on here but can anyone compare the i3 to the Anser, ideally from personal experience?

For some background......I am currently a 10 handicap and at my peak when I was playing a lot and practicing a lot, I was a 5 (about 8 years ago).

Any thoughts/opinions on the value of switching and what I might see/feel as a difference?

Thanks in advance!
:drinks:

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

[quote name='newportbeach' timestamp='1306300845' post='3260748']
Puresurfr wow that is a lot of diferent irons maybe the Ansers will stay for a bit longer than some of the others. I highly recommend them.
[/quote]
To me the Ansers are certainly nice but can,t touch the G15s for forgiveness, but few if any irons can, again just my opinion. All the #amn G15 conversations have me giving my S56s a mean look.

I am 45... played to a +2 until very serious heart surgery for congenital issues 2 yrs ago. After a couple of years of re-building my health and game, I am back. I dont have enough time to practice and to be honest I really dont care too much about getting to that level of play anymore (kids, work, don't care to grind over every shot anymore, etc). But... I dont like shooting scores higher than 75 or so. Had been playing AP2's for a couple of years, and was "happy" with them. Because of not being able to practice... I had started to think about playing something easier to hit, but didnt want to not play a forged club... I'm one of those folks that truly can feel the difference between forged and cast, I can tell difference in grip tape and swing weights (freakish)... anyways. I have been fitted by hotstix, so I know my specs and shafts. After I saw the Ansers... I decided to check them out. I was torn between the S56's and the Ansers... but as I already stated, I was looking for an easier set of clubs to hit... The clincher, was that the Project X was is the stock shaft in the Ansers and that is my shaft. So... I tried them both. Different clubs. As for the Ansers... WOW. Feel is not the same as a traditional forging, but when you hit it its sweet as anything. They take a little bit to get used to, but once you do, you are in a new place. At least one club longer... not because of lofts as they are about the same as AP2's. Easier to hit. High flat flight. Fairly workable. Great out of any lie. got the Tour S wedges 50, 54 and 58TS set at the same time... those are truly some great wedges. I could not be happier. Pretty much set up, swing and watch in amazement. Technology does make a difference. I know AP2's are basically the same concept, but for me, the Ansers are much better. Had to send the clubs back to get higher swing weight... now perfect at d3. Went ahead and tried the G15 driver for the heck of it... WOW again. Folks, I am not a Ping boy... just realizing that they are making a fantastic product that works great for me. Shot 74 today... from the tips 7325... with a double. That is the real deal. I play for fun... these clubs are FUN! Try them out on the course... and get fitted. They are money.

I am now committed to these — see my other thread on them.

One thing I have noticed here is what seems to be a lot of animosity re the clubs due to their price. Yes, they are expensive, but if you look at them, and you watch some of the movies Ping has posted on how they are made, etc. you can certainly understand the high cost.

Sour grapes? Perhaps. But why be bitter if you just don't/can't buy them?

Anyway, I spent much more on 3 sets of AP2s before I came to these clubs. If I manage to play them for a few years they will be worth it to me!

[quote name='Hathstauwk' timestamp='1306310719' post='3260867']
I have a question for folks on here......

First off, I am likely in the minority here because I am on only my second set of irons in 30 years. I started with Ping Karsten I irons and after 18 years, bought my current Ping i3 Blades (that was when they were new, about 11 years ago).

I have resisted buying new clubs because I know that improvement comes from the player and not the clubs for the most part (technology aside). However, when I saw the new Anser irons, I melted. I also know that even by Ping standards, it has been said that their best models ever were the Eye 2 and the i3 series. I know there are a lot of lovers of the new irons on here but can anyone compare the i3 to the Anser, ideally from personal experience?

For some background......I am currently a 10 handicap and at my peak when I was playing a lot and practicing a lot, I was a 5 (about 8 years ago).

Any thoughts/opinions on the value of switching and what I might see/feel as a difference?

Thanks in advance!
:drinks:
[/quote]

I cannot help with a compariosn to the i3 as I have never hit those but I have owned the i5, i10 and i15 and the [b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b] irons are not going to be extremely better then any of the other "i" irons but differnt to some extent...one is they do feel softer (not as clicky off of impact) but still have the forgiveness that "i" irons provide without looking to bulky. I also like the brushed silver look of these irons at address and in the bag...not sure if this helps but I tried.

Also the offset in the Anser is less then the i15...but more then the i10 or S56.

:smilie_ping: [b][color="#8B0000"]Anser[/color][/b]

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a used LH set (3-PW) of these that were used for one range session; the guy decided to purchase G15's and lessons. Paid $650 for the set and he and I play the exact same specs; blue dot, 1/4-inch long, Project X 5.0. Practiced with these for a week before I got the chance to play them, but I had one of my best rounds in two years with these in the bag. Can't hit a low draw with these but in fairness, I haven't been able to hit a reliable low draw in close to a decade. I like everything about them; shot a 77 from 6,900 yards Saturday, hitting 14 greens in regulation. Missed the sweet spot 5 or 6 times and still managed to hit the green 4 of those times.

I've got great confidence in these sticks. I wouldn't have paid retail for these before owning them, but now that I've got them, I'd pay full retail to replace them without hesitation if something happened to them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1310277120' post='3378731']
These irons are sooo sweet! I'm ordering mine tomorrow through DDs. I just cannot take it anymore.....
[/quote]

you don't own a set? you always talk about them, figured you had a set already. glad you finally pulling the trigger

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

[quote name='minhjn' timestamp='1310278362' post='3378744']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1310277120' post='3378731']
These irons are sooo sweet! I'm ordering mine tomorrow through DDs. I just cannot take it anymore.....
[/quote]

you don't own a set? you always talk about them, figured you had a set already. glad you finally pulling the trigger
[/quote]

I don't own a set yet but I will very soon. I have loved the looks of this set since day one.

[quote name='SALUKI LEFTY' timestamp='1310328154' post='3379734']
dropped mine off to go back to Ping for reshaft and lie change. going with proj x 5.5 green dot. was KBS reg flex silver, don't ask, mistake on my part with 1st order.
[/quote]
I think I'm ordering mine with a PX 5.0. I'm not going the stiff flex route anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my irons back, took longer than expected. Excited to take these to the course tomorrow.

My new specs:
Green dot
+1/4"
Proj X 5.5
Ping 703 std size

They set up so much nicer. Swing change caused me to switch.

Only disappointment was a few scratches on hosel where they changed the lie. 7 iron actually has a tiny gauge in it, come on Ping I thought you'd do better. The metal must not be very durable. Oh well, nothing too bad to get worked up about. Hopefully they play well, otherwise I have my AP2 710's to fall back on or S56's.

[quote name='SALUKI LEFTY' timestamp='1311642086' post='3423422']
Finally got my irons back, took longer than expected. Excited to take these to the course tomorrow.

My new specs:
Green dot
+1/4"
Proj X 5.5
Ping 703 std size

They set up so much nicer. Swing change caused me to switch.

Only disappointment was a few scratches on hosel where they changed the lie. 7 iron actually has a tiny gauge in it, come on Ping I thought you'd do better. The metal must not be very durable. Oh well, nothing too bad to get worked up about. Hopefully they play well, otherwise I have my AP2 710's to fall back on or S56's.
[/quote]

Please post your review tomorrow after you give them a whirl.

Well played my 9 hole league on Tuesday...

Hit range to start and knew right away I got my specs correct the 2nd time around. Lie angle is perfect. Noticed shaft felt lighter compared to my KBS Stiff in my AP2's. Actually like that, feels real smooth. Clubs felt great on range and carried to the course.

Was swinging well so got a good idea of how they play with changes. Club generated a nice crisp sound on impact and felt really nice. Ball flight was nice mid piercing flight thanks to the Proj X shafts. Distance was solid as well. I'm really happy I sent then in for the changes, can see sticking with these the majority of remainder of 2011.

• 3 weeks later...