Can't play Pebble unless I stay there?

jlam1127

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Not at all.
Do a [b]SEARCH[/b] in this subforum of the specific Cali subforum.
As I would hope you'd expect on WRX this has been covered a shedload of times, as recently as this past weekend.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I was there about ten years ago. What they did then when you called for a tee time was ask you if you were staying at The Pebble Beach Lodge or The Inn at Spanish Bay (there might be a third associated hotel). If you were you got a tee time right away (depending on availability). If you weren't staying at one of their properties you were told you would be placed on a waiting list. This may or may not still be the policy. Either way its "public". I got a package deal with two rounds of golf (Pebble and Spanish Bay) and hotel at Spanish Bay a few miles north of Pebble. Plan on about a grand a day for hotel, food, golf; bite the bullet and go enjoy. They still offer package deals so check out their web site.

[quote name='kyle3802' timestamp='1392057570' post='8637799']
I played their back in October 2013 and didn't stay at the resort. They allow you to book tee times 1 day in advance if you aren't at the resort. I was a single so I was able to get on. If you do call make sure you decide on a tee time fast, they have like 10 other operators and the tee times go quick.
[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks!

When I was out there a few years ago, they let me book more than a day ahead of time. I called before I left home, had to be nearly a week ahead of time. In return for $425 (or whatever it was) charged immediately to my credit card they would have been glad to book me a tee time at Pebble.

Fortunately I had been warned by a friend who just returned from the there that the greens would be punched literally the day before I arrived. No price break for the punched greens, what!!!??? So I booked Spy instead.

But anyway, it was about a week ahead of time.

I tried to go last year, was going to play Torrey and Pebble. Pebble would not give me a tee time more than 24 hours out without staying at the resort. I told them they could charge my credit card for the tee time in advance if needed, and explained that I was planning a trip, and could not wait until 24 hours prior, they told me sorry cannot do it. Hopefully you find a way, but it did not work for me.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

I have found their booking policies to be pretty cut and dried similar to the last couple of posters. They have the reputation of being the best public course in the country and this is reflected in their pricing and policies. People line up to play there. Every day another bunch of guys turn 50 or 60 or what have you (aka bucket list as referenced by the OP) and want to splurge and make the trip.

That's exactly it. It's a bucket list thing for me..before I turn 40, I want to be able to tee it up. Unfortunately, my flight out to Cali is at 6:30am EST on the 3/3 and I was hoping to get on the course 3/4, so unless I can try to convince my wife to make the dials for me, I may have to miss out. Any idea when the phone lines are open?

My advice is call them the afternoon of the 2nd and see what they'll do for you. Given my experience of them being glad to book me a week ahead, it probably depends on whether they anticipate the tee sheet being full. I know when I got there and played Spyglass there must not have been more than a couple dozen people on the course by the time we finished up around lunch time (on a Monday in April). And later that evening there was nobody finished up at twilight on Pebble, probably because of the punched greens.

Anyway, it's probably situational. If you can't get a tee time on the 2nd then call them on your cell phone as soon as your plane lands on the 3rd. The worst they can do is say no (although honestly my wife thinks a "no" would be better than saying "yes" to a $400+ round of golf!).

Ok all you Peeple beach golfers, me and three more guys "maybe two wives If there still around after this". Are going to plan a trip out to Peeble Beach what is the best bang for the buck, I know it is expensive but I do see specials from time to time about stay 2 get 1 night free, I would love to play Peeble Beach Course then me and my princess get a message , then a nice dinner with some California special wine. It don't get much better than that where i'm from , anyone got any super savings idea's I am also working on Cypress Point, if I can't make that happen what would be a great backup course around the area to play . Thanks so much for you guys input. ???

DM

[quote name='wdm50' timestamp='1392174544' post='8649255']
Ok all you Peeple beach golfers, me and three more guys "maybe two wives If there still around after this". Are going to plan a trip out to Peeble Beach what is the best bang for the buck, I know it is expensive but I do see specials from time to time about stay 2 get 1 night free, I would love to play Peeble Beach Course then me and my princess get a message , then a nice dinner with some California special wine. It don't get much better than that where i'm from , anyone got any super savings idea's I am also working on Cypress Point, if I can't make that happen what would be a great backup course around the area to play . Thanks so much for you guys input. ???
[/quote]

Look at this site. [url="http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf-vacation-packages-and-getaways"]http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf-vacation-packages-and-getaways[/url]

It's supply and demand at Pebble Beach. They don't really offer any great deals because they know the golfers will come no matter what. Just make sure you're not there during aeration. Get a package and enjoy yourselves. There are some great stores there that the women will like too.

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1392175551' post='8649363']
[/quote]

Look at this site. [url="http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf-vacation-packages-and-getaways"]http://www.pebblebea...es-and-getaways[/url]

It's supply and demand at Pebble Beach. They don't really offer any great deals because they know the golfers will come no matter what. Just make sure you're not there during aeration. Get a package and enjoy yourselves. There are some great stores there that the women will like too.
[/quote]Thanks for that link, that was about what I thought on the price, if they come we can charge, but I have also heard it is a special place. Have you stayed in the motels their, if so which one would you recommend , Spanish Bay , The Lodge, or Casa Palmero

DM

[quote name='wdm50' timestamp='1392208485' post='8650773']
[/quote]

Look at this site. [url="http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf-vacation-packages-and-getaways"]http://www.pebblebea...es-and-getaways[/url]

[/quote]Thanks for that link, that was about what I thought on the price, if they come we can charge, but I have also heard it is a special place. Have you stayed in the motels their, if so which one would you recommend , Spanish Bay , The Lodge, or Casa Palmero
[/quote]

Been one time, stayed at The Lodge. Could step out or our room and look right down on #1 tee. It was awesome. Sorry but don't know how good the other places are. If I did my math right it appears that the rooms at The Lodge are about $150 more per night than Spanish Bay. Planning a trip back next year and I'm sure we'll stay at The Lodge. For really good wine, go into Carmel and eat at Casanova's. Ask for a tour of their wine cellar. It's pretty neat.

Johnny T.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Spanish Bay was great. I can't speak to the other locations.

Have you stayed in the motels their, if so which one would you recommend , Spanish Bay , The Lodge, or Casa Palmero
[/quote]

Casa Palmero is top notch in terms of service. It's smaller than the others and feel like staying in a large home or estate. However, it's out of the "scene" compared to the Lodge and quieter, more laid back. It's in the Pebble compound and you'll get shuttled to anywhere.

PING G425 9º Driver w/Mitsubishi C6 Red
PING G25 3W & 2 Hybrid 17º
Epon AF-302 4i-PW w/ TT XP 95
Miura K Grind 52º (TT XP 95), 56º & 64º (TT DG Spinner)
Bettinardi Tour Stock BB34

I called Pebble last week. Minimum two nights stay to book a guaranteed time at PB. On their site, there is a "heat map" of availability on each course. So you can see how busy the course is: http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf (under resort reservations, click "View availability online"). 3/4 looks like it has availability. Hopefully you can call the day before and get a time. I keep on hearing a single can usually get on. Good luck.

[quote name='jchungum' timestamp='1392829151' post='8702177']
I called Pebble last week. Minimum two nights stay to book a guaranteed time at PB. On their site, there is a "heat map" of availability on each course. So you can see how busy the course is: http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf (under resort reservations, click "View availability online"). 3/4 looks like it has availability. Hopefully you can call the day before and get a time. I keep on hearing a single can usually get on. Good luck.
[/quote]

Thank you sir!

[quote name='jlam1127' timestamp='1392840765' post='8703491']
For etiquette sake, how much should I tip the caddy? It's 80.00 for caddie fee...would $60.00 tip be too cheap?
[/quote]

Depends how good he is. Ask around there are a few caddies there that come highly recommended. I'd say $60 is plenty for a good loop.

[quote name='jlam1127' timestamp='1392840765' post='8703491']
For etiquette sake, how much should I tip the caddy? It's 80.00 for caddie fee...would $60.00 tip be too cheap?
[/quote]

I think $80-$100 is the norm, I just played there Saturday and I gave mine $100, he was great, had great yardage and reads all day except on hole 10, and I probably pulled the putt haha

Titleist TSR2, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7X
Taylormade Sim2 Max 3wd, Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
Callaway Mavrik 5wd, Fujikura Speeder 8.3X
Callaway Mavrik 7wd, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8X

Srixon ZX-4, 5 iron, ZX5 6-GW Project X LZ 6.5
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54* and Titleist SM9 60*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12

on the bench Scotty Cameron Newport Select custom by Embrace Putters 

• 2 weeks later...

WOW....Definitely worth it. Got lucky and got out at 9:20...finished by 1:45pm.... Would I do it again, maybe if the weather was better, but I'm glad I got to check this off my bucket list...some pics for you guys...I can't believe how small the greens are...

[attachment=2100955:p3.jpg]

[attachment=2100957:p4.jpg]

[attachment=2100959:pebble.jpg]

[attachment=2100961:pebble2.jpg]