True Temper Project X LZ shafts from at the 2014 Northern Trust Open

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1395361581' post='8914421']
Haven't heard of a release date yet.
[/quote]

Thanks. Ill have to keep my eyes open for it.

TM R9 460 TP 10.5* Matrix TP7HD X
                TM R9 TP 15* Motore F1 S
                TM TP 19* & 22* Rescue VooDoo S
                TM TP 2009 5-PW Project X 6.0
                WITB Link
                Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant 34"
                TM TP '09 54 & 58

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1395349384' post='8913077']
[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1395072159' post='8889845']
I will be doing an extended write up later, but I'll just say that I HAMMERED the PX LZ in the SLDR 430 12*. Talking about BOOM killed it.
[/quote]

I understand what you mean by this :) I went AFTER it a couple of times - and enjoyed the results LOL. This is premature, but there is a possibility that I purchase a three wood and hybrid LZ in the future to compliment the driver shaft.
[/quote]

I feel exactly the same way! I really want the 70g version for my fairway after seeing the results with driver and would love to hit a hybrid model. I again hit the ball great off the tee in my indoor league last night. I started playing in this league a little late in the season but was informed that I broke the long drive last night record last night! I don't consider myself a huge hitter, but my Big Bertha Alpha / PX LZ combo is just lights out. I point to a spot in the fairway and just hit a little draw to that spot all night. Even the guys I play with noticed that this combo is about 10y longer than my OptiForce/Bassara 63X combo that I was playing.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

[quote name='knudson81' timestamp='1395406379' post='8917093']
I will be doing an extended write up later, but I'll just say that I HAMMERED the PX LZ in the SLDR 430 12*. Talking about BOOM killed it.
[/quote]

I understand what you mean by this :) I went AFTER it a couple of times - and enjoyed the results LOL. This is premature, but there is a possibility that I purchase a three wood and hybrid LZ in the future to compliment the driver shaft.
[/quote]

I feel exactly the same way! I really want the 70g version for my fairway after seeing the results with driver and would love to hit a hybrid model. I again hit the ball great off the tee in my indoor league last night. I started playing in this league a little late in the season but was informed that I broke the long drive last night record last night! I don't consider myself a huge hitter, but my Big Bertha Alpha / PX LZ combo is just lights out. I point to a spot in the fairway and just hit a little draw to that spot all night. Even the guys I play with noticed that this combo is about 10y longer than my OptiForce/Bassara 63X combo that I was playing.
[/quote]

Very impressive!

Where the shaft has proven to beneficial to me is in accuracy. Typically a player that is looking to gain accuracy goes to a heavier shaft. The PX LZ has allowed me to go lighter, gain accuracy and slightly increase my club head speed/distance.

[quote name='knudson81' timestamp='1395406379' post='8917093']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Indoor Golf League? What's that?

Don
San Diego

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

I am debating ordering one of these shafts... Definently getting plenty of buzz here....

Can you guys to me how it feels? I was never a fan of either the PX or PX black...

Talk me into this purchase.. Out of this purchase...

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1395707366' post='8943045']
I am debating ordering one of these shafts... Definently getting plenty of buzz here....

Can you guys to me how it feels? I was never a fan of either the PX or PX black...

[/quote]

I've played several PX shafts...
PX8A4
PX Black 7.0 and 6.5
PX7A3
PXv52 Tour

and now, the PX LZ 70 6.5 #Handcrafted

This shaft feels completely different from them all. I've disagreed with others on the feeling, but I think it's smooth with the ability to subtly feel the shaft load and release. (I'll let them speak to their "feelings").

Part of that feeling may be because it is a 6.5 flex, and I'm usually hitting a 7.0. However, this shaft is firmly in the club for the foreseeable future, and I'm not even planning on testing another...but may test this shaft in an SLDR TS 3W

Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷  9.0*; Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 TX

TM Stealth+ 15*; Fujikura Ventus Black 7x 
Ping G425 19*; Aldila Rogue Black 95 TX
Srixon ZX7; OBAN CT 125 x
Callaway Jaws, raw - 50/12W; DG X100 TI black 
Vokey SM9, raw - 55/12; DG S400  TI black
Vokey SM9, raw - 60/08; DG S400 TI black
SC Phantom 5.5

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1395707366' post='8943045']

[/quote]

I would agree with treadwej, at least partially, that it feels different from previous PX shafts. I've haven't played a PX blue or black in forever but I have played the tour issue 6C12 (the 60-ish g, 6.0 flex shaft) recently. The LZ is noticeably smoother than the 6C12 and has a more pronounced kick. I wouldn't go as far as to say the difference is night-and-day, but I believe that if you were blindfolded and hit the two shafts you could tell that they are different. To provide a little more context, I currently play a DJ-6x which I feel is a very smooth shaft. The LZ isn't as smooth as it but by no means does the LZ feel bad (or even boardy). Even with it feeling a little smoother, it maintains that typical PX stability. I guess in a way the LZ is a more "user friendly" PX shaft.

As for talking you out of the purchase, I love tinkering and shafts are at the top of the list so I cannot do it in good conscience. :D

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[size=5][b]Update:[/b][/size]

Well, this isn't much of an update as my initial impressions are still holding true. :pimp:

I was able to spend some more time playing the LZ 60 this past weekend. It continues to perform very well. Paired with my G25, it is a straight shooter...a fairway finding machine for me (or at least as many fairways as a double digit hc can reasonably find). It is still easy to launch (keep in mind I'm using a 10.5[sup]o[/sup] driver head). It is very stable without feeling boardy. Kick is decent...enough to let you know you loaded the shaft but not enough to make you go "whoa!" Like I mentioned in my post above addressing ladahl's question - it is like a more "user friendly" version of a PX shaft...PX performance in a smoother profile. Distance is pretty much the same as my current gamer.

Will it make the bag? Jury is still out. The performance with the LZ is SOOOO close to the performance of my current set-up, it will take some more testing for me to make a final decision. But really this isn't about whether the LZ is my new gamer shaft...this is really just to provide feedback and opinions about the LZ shaft I have been testing. :good:

(But it does have a shot at making the bag :D)

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1396275713' post='8986139']
UPDATE to mine... I freaking LOVE this shaft. I'm talking about HAMMERING it
[/quote]

Thats awesome!! i wish i could get my hands on one. I think it would pair nicely with my jetspeed.

TM R9 TP 15* Motore F1 S
                WITB Link
                TM TP '09 54 & 58

[quote name='bidenn' timestamp='1396278295' post='8986465']
[/quote]

Thats awesome!! i wish i could get my hands on one. I think it would pair nicely with my jetspeed.
[/quote]

I've already asked when they release so I can buy a mate for it to go in my SLDR TS fairway

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1396278602' post='8986515']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I've already asked when they release so I can buy a pate for it to go in my SLDR TS fairway
[/quote]

What did they say? Did they mention a price?

TM R9 TP 15* Motore F1 S
                WITB Link
                TM TP '09 54 & 58

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1396290202' post='8988069']
Didn't mention either and I'm not sure on price point.
[/quote]

Thanks I'll have to keep my eyes and hears open.

TM R9 TP 15* Motore F1 S
                WITB Link
                TM TP '09 54 & 58

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've already asked when they release so I can buy a mate for it to go in my SLDR TS fairway
[/quote]

I'm wanting to get this too...may pick up the 60g and test in the driver, and then put the 70g I'm testing into the TS fairway!

POW!!!!

Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷  9.0*; Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 TX

TM Stealth+ 15*; Fujikura Ventus Black 7x 
Ping G425 19*; Aldila Rogue Black 95 TX
Srixon ZX7; OBAN CT 125 x
Callaway Jaws, raw - 50/12W; DG X100 TI black 
Vokey SM9, raw - 55/12; DG S400  TI black
Vokey SM9, raw - 60/08; DG S400 TI black
SC Phantom 5.5

[quote name='treadwej' timestamp='1396309495' post='8990173']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm wanting to get this too...may pick up the 60g and test in the driver, and then put the 70g I'm testing into the TS fairway!

POW!!!!
[/quote]

Same here. Been really impressed with the 60 so want a 70 to try in my X Hot 4 wood.

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1395361581' post='8914421']
Haven't heard of a release date yet.
[/quote]

Thanks to all the testers for their feedback! We think it's great to be able to get "real world" info from your peers instead of sifting through a company's marketing copy and that's just one of the reasons we continue to support Golfwrx and our WRX Test group.

So there have been a number of questions about the release date and pricing of the new Project X Hand Crafted LZ shafts..........

Available through a True Temper Performance Fitting Center by 4/25. Visit www.truetemper.com/PFC-locations/ for one in your area.

MSRP $350 installed

TTS

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

To update as well, mine has been placed firmly in the bag. For the first time in a long time I only have one driver and one driver shaft in the bag. I used to always carry around an extra shaft or 2 because you never knew. But for right now the LZ is in the bag and the straightest shaft I have ever played. I feel like it is going to be a good year off the tee for me, as long as my shoulder stays in one piece!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Thanks for the update TTS. Looks like I'm gonna have to go visit upshaw here pretty soon to get fitted for one. Do you know when the specs will be up online or do you mind sharing them here?

TM R9 TP 15* Motore F1 S
                WITB Link
                TM TP '09 54 & 58

[color=#282828]Alright, I've been working with this club for a while now. I did put the SFTP back in the bag a few rounds ago for a round then went back to this one. I've been hitting it for the last 3 rounds again, and then I went for a trackman session. So how did it perform? We'll get to that in a bit.[/color]

[color=#282828]I LOVE the SLDR 430 head shape and size. I did go way up in loft for me trying to loft up and hit the 17/1700 and I've still got a bit to go to get there. But, with that said, I've noticed here in the wetter conditions we're seeing at the moment, the carry is beneficial because of the roll being cut down. If the fairways will dry out and firm up, it'll be nice to see what kind of roll I'll be getting. [/color]

[color=#282828]But this isn't a review on the head, this is a review on the shaft. The shaft, at least in the many times I've hit it, has a very good feel to it. The shaft loads a lot (feel wise) and you can feel it unload and whip through the ball. The butt end of the shaft has a nice firm feel, but the tip is very responsive. I did tip it 1/2" just like I did with the other PX shaft I've been hitting (PXv Tour) on the recommendation of the guys at True Temper. It, flex wise, plays pretty much identically. [/color]

[color=#282828]Now, on to the data. My swingspeed average was 112.3. That's right where it's been hovering for me for a few years now. I feel like I'm swinging harder than before, but that's probably because I've gained 20 pounds in the last 2 years or so, lol, and it's all around the midsection. I need to lose some weight and get more flexibility back, lol.[/color]

[color=#282828]Anyway, my numbers were as follows:[/color]
[color=#282828]SwingSpeed: 112.3[/color]
[color=#282828]Launch Angle: 15.7[/color]
[color=#282828]Spin: 2325[/color]
[color=#282828]Carry: 286.7 yards[/color]

[color=#282828]Those were averages. I hit a few that were longer and a few that were shorter, but that's the averages. Roll, like I said, was little due to it being wet. I also wasn't hitting the ball I normally play, as they have Srixon balls there (they have a Cleveland/Srixon deal and the Cleveland Tour truck at that end of the range. All the instructor's guys on tour are Cleveland/Srixon guys. One of which won the Valero Texas Open recently. So that's what they stock there.). Anyway, I'm pleased with the numbers from this shaft/head combo, and it works well for me at the moment. I still need to work on the swing some, but the numbers are there. [/color]

[color=#282828]Love the shaft and it's feel/responsiveness. It's about as smooth as it gets. [/color]

For those of you interested in the feedback process of the True Temper / GolfWRX testing program - here is a portion of my comments back to TT.

The PX LZ is a very unique shaft… Adding to some of the comments I gave in the Northern Trust Open thread - this shaft provides a unique blend of distance, accuracy and feel. For the past four or five years I have been looking for a shaft that is lighter than the 70g+ driver shafts that I typically play to keep the ball in play. The heavier shaft allows me to know where the club is during the swing and can provide a helpful "swing in tempo" reminder. When you combine a heavier shaft with a stiff tip or butt section many times you lose the feel or kick value of the shaft during the load/impact zone. In the past when I have decreased the static weight of the shaft with the stiff butt/tip profile it would be extremely stiff and had very little load into the ball. Putting it another way the heavier static weight of a 70g+ shaft made the stiff butt/tip profile playable because the extra weight provided a sense of shaft awareness in the swing. When you transitioned to a softer butt profile shaft in a 60-80g weight I came across the problem of losing the shaft due to the flex point being too close to the handle. Statically you could feel the mass, but you would lose it again in transition under your hands. My preference has been sticking to a butt/tip stiff shaft in the 70g+ range as a compromise to the to extremes. The PX LZ profile blends the stiff tip and butt section with a more active mid section which creates a shaft that you can play in a lighter static weight, feel the shaft through the swing and produce a strong accurate flight. For me the biggest surprise of this shaft was impact, as you are almost fooled into thinking this shaft is all about stability until crack it explodes off the face and the shaft unloads. This is unique because some shafts can push you into force loading/unloading the shaft into the ball as opposed to allowing the shaft to unload through impact. I am thoroughly impressed with this shaft and plan on taking it to the next stage by fine tuning the SW and putting it into meaningful play.

Awesome reviews guys. I wish I could get my hands on this shaft to give it a try.

TM R9 TP 15* Motore F1 S
                WITB Link
                TM TP '09 54 & 58

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1396888415' post='9038699']
For those of you interested in the feedback process of the True Temper / GolfWRX testing program - here is a portion of my comments back to TT.

The PX LZ is a very unique shaft… Adding to some of the comments I gave in the Northern Trust Open thread - this shaft provides a unique blend of distance, accuracy and feel. For the past four or five years I have been looking for a shaft that is lighter than the 70g+ driver shafts that I typically play to keep the ball in play. The heavier shaft allows me to know where the club is during the swing and can provide a helpful "swing in tempo" reminder. When you combine a heavier shaft with a stiff tip or butt section many times you lose the feel or kick value of the shaft during the load/impact zone. In the past when I have decreased the static weight of the shaft with the stiff butt/tip profile it would be extremely stiff and had very little load into the ball. Putting it another way the heavier static weight of a 70g+ shaft made the stiff butt/tip profile playable because the extra weight provided a sense of shaft awareness in the swing. When you transitioned to a softer butt profile shaft in a 60-80g weight I came across the problem of losing the shaft due to the flex point being too close to the handle. Statically you could feel the mass, but you would lose it again in transition under your hands. My preference has been sticking to a butt/tip stiff shaft in the 70g+ range as a compromise to the to extremes. The PX LZ profile blends the stiff tip and butt section with a more active mid section which creates a shaft that you can play in a lighter static weight, feel the shaft through the swing and produce a strong accurate flight. For me the biggest surprise of this shaft was impact, as you are almost fooled into thinking this shaft is all about stability until crack it explodes off the face and the shaft unloads. This is unique because some shafts can push you into force loading/unloading the shaft into the ball as opposed to allowing the shaft to unload through impact. I am thoroughly impressed with this shaft and plan on taking it to the next stage by fine tuning the SW and putting it into meaningful play.
[/quote]

WOW! Now I really, really want to try one!

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

You guys are killing me. I have been waiting patiently for my 5.5 test shaft but it is still not here yet. I think they were having some delays with this particular flex, so maybe that's causing the delay on release date as well.

My previous test shaft (39g PXv) just snapped in half the other day on the range. Now I really NEED this new one! LOL

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

• 10 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but anyone still gaming this shaft. I play a SLDR 430 at 9 degrees and I am thinking of trying an LZ shaft. I swing 110-113 MPH and I don't like shafts that feel really heavy or boardy. Did anyone try a 50g 6.5 or 7.0? I'm interested to hear if that lighter weight shaft is still pretty stiff/stable to handle a moderately high swing speed?

TM 300 Mini 11.5 AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 7-Wood AD-DI 8X

Ping i230 5-UW LAGP L-Series 120S

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4/TM Spider X Hydroblast

I'm still gaming mine in the driver and 3W and think they're a great shaft--maybe a little softer in flex than others, but I really enjoy hitting them. They feel stable throughout the swing and even if I go after it. I'm playing a 60 in the driver and 70 in the 3W.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418