Most Under/Overrated Golf Company

cfreeman8

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underated

Gotta be Nike for what they have achieved in such a short period of time, even if they do have a massive budget. They are used by some of the best players in the world and they would not use them unless they where the best for them - they don't need the money

I would like to say that Mizuno just for there irons are a close second, the rest of there stuff I do not rate.

Β 

Overated

Taylor Made. Not a popular choice but they don't seem to be going anywhere just releasing new models for the hell of it. The R series has not changed much since a certain double EE won the open with a bag full at Muirfield too many years ago that I can remember. It was a good driver then but nothing really changed apart from a few weights. The irons haven't changed and the build qualtity is questionable.

Again, would like to say that Cobra are a close second, just a rebrand off Titleist and that doesn't seem right

Results so Far:

Most Overrated

TaylorMade 34%

Cameron 22%

Nike 12%

Most Underrated

Bridgestone 38%

Adams 19%

Nike 13%

Β 

Personally

OR- Mr Cameron

UR- KZG

Β 

Anyone else think it ironic that Nike come close to the top in both over and under rated??

Β 

Again I say, those that say they are over rated how do you come to that conclusion? How many people actually say they rate them - not many of the supposed good players on this or any other forum that's for sure. Personally I don't like the look of a lot of their clubs - slingshot looks awful to me. But I wouldn't say they are over rated mainly because I haven't tried most of them. Their blades and pro-combos look like fine clubs to me, but again, not having tried them I won't rate them either way.

This is turning into a bash thread........If you are honest with yourself to have to say that ALL THE MAJOR OEMs are overated in some way....Every single major OEMs has some flaws in their lineup.

For those who continue to bash Nike my response is "have you played them? if so how long and what did you play?" Nike has a great lineup! Ilove there Blades, there Pro Combo's are very good, they have fantastic golf balls in the platinum and black...I do not like the wood or putters....but that is just my taste. It does not make them bad.......what is the #1 player in the world using? I play a full bag of Titleist equipment and I wish they would do some things diffrent with regards to equipment.

As I said ALL THE MAJOR OEMs are overated in some form, so lets not single one out!

Β 

I also agree about Bridgestone being underated......they have an awesome lineup and there quality is as good as anyone...

Might be more interesting to list specific clubs in the arguement or have this discussion on specific product:

OVERRATED: 1)Cameron-I'll take the Ping anser floating face putter, add swingweight and save $300 1a)Bettinardi-Bling Bling Blah Blah

2)Taylor Made except for the MWT product which some thought was a fad but really works, and their 200 series fairway woods which are as good as any. Don't keep trying to improve on a product with a new launch 2 months later. After the LT did we really need an LT2?

UNDERRATED:Tilteist 962's are old school and the best non forged iron out there. Bridgestone 460 driver,best driver under $150.00 on E-bay right now. Sonartec MD, bendable and played by many LPGA and PGA guys who are not compensated.

I am glad to see some people actually say a nice thing about NIKE. Why are so many people against them? It can't be the product. There must be something personal. I play everything Nike. Sumo Square all the way down to the Unitzed Putter. You can't say something bad until you try the product. Once you do you may actually like it.

Β 

Underrated: NIKE Without a doubt

Overrated: TaylorMade

The problem with Taylormade is quantity over quality.......they have 12 drivers on there website! is the 460 that much diffrent than the460 superquad.....yes I know there are 2 more weight ports..but is it that diffrent? I see you still use the 510 driver....that is one of the best drivers ever made.....do they need to have a new one every few months? I just wish they would put a product out and let it have a life cycle like they used too. They make good product, they do not need to continue to reinvent it!

Maybe you are right......but this is not the tour! also there is NO other OEM that looses there value faster than Taylormade! that is a fact! You can get a R7 425 TP for $400 Brand New......it retails for $799......how fast did the 460 loose its value? Golfsmith has the 580 for $149 Brand New...TM may have the #1 driver on tour (for now) but if you look at market share they are 4th......to be in 4th place with that many drivers should tell you what the market thinks of Taylormade!

You are missing the point.....you asked why there are so many TM haters...I was just giving you a example! Everyone knows Taylormade quality is at the bottom of major OEMs....

Β 

Taylormade is the only OEM that I know of that will sell clubs wit a NO WARRANTY stamp on it! why bother? talk about sales whores! could you see Titleist, Callaway, Nike, Bridgestone or anyone doing that? If you walk into any proshop and ask what OEM they would like to get rid of, the answer would be TM 75% of the time. Look at the % of people on this board that say TM is overated?

OVERRATED:

Β 

1. Mizuno

Β 

2. Titleist

Β 

3. Scotty Cameron (Retail)

Β 

Β 

Β 

UNDERRATED:

Β 

1. Bridgestone

Β 

2. Adams

Β 

3. Gauge Design

Β 

4. Scratch Golf

Β 

Β 

:) ;) Perish the thought you,,,,you ,,,,,you blasphemer!!!!!

(JOKE)

Β 

Mizuno....OVERATED.....You really went toooooo farrrr this time buddy!! !@#$%^&.

Β 

(JOKE)

Β 

Although I disagree LARGELY, I am glad to see that you are not ashamed of your spite toward the "M". We here at GWRX can and will forgive you because you are family and we must move past this difficult moment in your life and show our support by providing a planned intervention and then mind altering therapy!!

Β 

(JOKE)

Β 

Β 

IMO

Β 

OVARATED - Any club foreign or domestic with a $400 to $1000 price tag! Homie don't play dat!!

Β 

Underrated - How hard golf really can be and the time you have to invest to get even close to decent!!

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

I put in my earlier post that TM vsteel is underrated. I have two friends that rep for TM and the driver returns to golf discount etc are burdensome to say the least.

TM is the smartest marketing company in golf. what other company can release a .335 hosel (tour preferred model) over standard model .350 hosel and have it retain its value so much more?

However, you won't see TM in long drive competions as of now - who knows whether they will follow Cobra and build a LD club. If they do, you can bet it will cost twice what their other simaler models cost.

Β 

A word on their quality, I was a die hard TM Driver fan before Cleveland. I collapsed a face in one tournament. A head flew off in another. I had it fixed by TM and the repaired one they sent me was not repaired well enough - same result, different tournament.

Β 

That is when I left TM. I can't afford to not trust my equipment's quality.

They make great products - they have terrible quality control. Remember when Mopar made their hemi chargers in 69-70? Great cars that go for $$$ but many people had to have them in the shop within days to tighten bolts etc because qulity control was so bad.

Β 

My reply to this is not to bash TM -but unless you are a tour pro, work for a golf store or are rich - can you afford their quality? If you can, they are GREAT clubs - if you can't . . .

There is no such thing as an overated or underated ball IMO.

Β 

Balls are tested at much higher speeds than the average golfer produces under pristine conditions.

Β 

If you want to know which ball is best for you and can't afford an expensive day of lauch monitor testing,

Β 

grab 3-4 models that you think you want - (this is what I have my better junior golfers do)

Β 

go to your course with an 8 iron and hit from 200 out DOWNHILL and hit 6-10 balls of each and measure each balls distance

Β 

now go to an uphill hole and do the same. After you have all of the measurements recorded,

Β 

do the same on a windy day both ways.

Β 

now you have some data to make a good choice regardless of marketing hype by any of the companys.

Β 

SRIXON ZURs is great ball in wind for MY swing with MY swing speed with MY launch angle.

Titelist ProV1x is great around greens and easy to control and my normal ball of choice when I am playing tournaments.

One of my best buddies just set the course record at our club with Pinnacle exception.

I play with an 86 year old man that shoots under his age more times than not and he plays Precept Lady and hits his 3 iron 190-200 yards - he would not be able to do that with a ProV1x.

Β 

You have to find what works for YOUR swing speed and YOUR launch angle and forget the hype. Ball speed is all that counts and YOUR driver will affect that as well.

Β 

Give me 1 guy with average swing, say 100mph but has 5200rpm and another guy with 90mph swing that hits with 3600rpm with same ball and the 90mph guy be farther regardless of ball.

Β 

Hope this helps some of you.

• 1 year later...