Most Under/Overrated Golf Company

cfreeman8

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to bash any company as being "over-rated."

Despite what everyone is saying about TaylorMade, I think it's fair to say that TM wedges are under-rated. I used to play a RAC 56*, which I recently replaced with a Vokey (same specs). It almost kills me to say this but the TM RAC was at least as good as the Vokey, and honestly might have been the better club.

Overated; Any stat that ends in "#1 on tour". These are the top players in the world..do you really think their clubs make them the best? Does nike make tiger or tiger make nike? You know the answer. That being said how do you tell? Sales numbers are a result of marketing and paying the top players to use their equipment. The right equipment for you is what works with your game and what you feel confident with. Any of you think that your a better golfer because your bag is full of matching, new, or name brand equipment are living in la la land. Give a better golfer the blue light special set from k-mart and ill bet they still smoke you.

Under: mizuno and bridgestone

Mine personally would be:

Overrated: Nike

Underrated: Adams

Whats Yours?

Only had to read one post and I already found someone who I agree with 100%.

Nike has yet to release anything that I feel is standout or worth anyones time in the retail market, and I could play an entire Adams bag and have sticks that are as good or better than anything else available.

Justin

M1 440 8.5 Project X Hzrdus Black
SLDR Mini 12 long neck black tie 80
x2 Hot 5 Deep 82x Diamana D+
Titleist 714 AP2 KBS Tour X
ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Arm Lock

overated: High flop shots. keep it low.

underated: Golfers who walk and carry their bag. They should get at least .5 a stroke taken off. Nothing wrong with riding, but the game is easier when you get to rest on your tush the whole round.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Over..rated..over..rated....scotty...cameron

Under Rated : Tourstage / Bridgestone

Solus Wedges

Just out of curiousity, what putter do you use? I have the Cameron Studio Select and IMO is the best putter i have played in regards to customization, accuracy and unparalled feel. Don't be bitter, just because you can't afford one. They can't be that overrated if they are the most played putter on the PGA tour.

here's a nice link : http://www.titleist.com/leaderboard/equipm...unts.asp?bhcp=1

So based on your logic, TaylorMade can't be overrated if they are the most played driver on the PGA tour. But I don't see you defending them. They've been dumped on much more than Cameron has in this thread. So has Nike and they have plenty of wins this year.

And yes, I can afford a Cameron.

here's a nice link: http://www.howcultswork.com/

hey b4potocs, need some ice?

totally agree with stage1350

I always wonder what the point is when someone starts a thread like this. I normally just pass on by, but it's late and I am bored so anyway. I won't comment on overated or underated, but I will question the Nuke bashing mind you I have no Nike clubs in the bag. But this company is producing some nice stuff. They have two majors, multiple PGA tour wins this year and the world golf match play event featured two nike players in the final. the premium balls are very good and the discount ball offerings are some of the best in that grouping. The driver holds it's own with most anything available and the irons are decent as well. What goes into the decision as naming this company as overated?

I always wonder what the point is when someone starts a thread like this. I normally just pass on by, but it's late and I am bored so anyway. I won't comment on overated or underated, but I will question the Nuke bashing mind you I have no Nike clubs in the bag. But this company is producing some nice stuff. They have two majors, multiple PGA tour wins this year and the world golf match play event featured two nike players in the final. the premium balls are very good and the discount ball offerings are some of the best in that grouping. The driver holds it's own with most anything available and the irons are decent as well. What goes into the decision as naming this company as overated?

Since most PGA tour players could beat me with a shovel and a broom, I rarely take into account what a specific player uses when entering into these debates. Another thing worth noting is that Nike's tour stuff bares little resemblance to their retail offerings at all. (Nike Split Cavities for example) Nike is the most overrated company when Tom, Dick, and Henry, Walk in to Golf Big Box America Store and buy clubs that are not superior in any way to any OEM you can name. Simply put you give me a golfer that's playing Nike clubs and I can promise him better results with another driver, iron, or wedge. Period. Thats my definition of overrated.

Justin

ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50

Since most PGA tour players could beat me with a shovel and a broom, I rarely take into account what a specific player uses when entering into these debates. Another thing worth noting is that Nike's tour stuff bares little resemblance to their retail offerings at all. (Nike Split Cavities for example) Nike is the most overrated company when Tom, Dick, and Henry, Walk in to Golf Big Box America Store and buy clubs that are not superior in any way to any OEM you can name. Simply put you give me a golfer that's playing Nike clubs and I can promise him better results with another driver, iron, or wedge. Period. Thats my definition of overrated.

Justin

As someone that has sold a ton of golf equipment over the years, I could copy and past the name of any OEM into that anti-Nike statement...

If a club is not fitted to a player, then it is not for them, regardless of the name on it. I have sold R7 drivers to players who swore that the R7 was better for them because their friends had it, not because it worked for their game. Yet, they hit it worse on the launch monitor than the Nike SQ or Titleist 905 or Cobra Speed Pro...

Regardless of whether some Nike players use proto equipment (which happens with every OEM), the fact of the matter is that Nike produces a quality product, but unfortunately many people here and other sites due to their staff bag contracts with other OEMs make it a point to slam the company at every opportunity since they are getting free equipment and money and of course some of it is just dislike for the product without any real rationale other than my friends brothers uncles boyfriend had a nike knockoff driver made in taiwankarjakistan by midget monkeys being paid 2 pennies an hour...

Overrated Callaway

Underrated Tour Edge

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

Justin

As someone that has sold a ton of golf equipment over the years, I could copy and past the name of any OEM into that anti-Nike statement...

If a club is not fitted to a player, then it is not for them, regardless of the name on it. I have sold R7 drivers to players who swore that the R7 was better for them because their friends had it, not because it worked for their game. Yet, they hit it worse on the launch monitor than the Nike SQ or Titleist 905 or Cobra Speed Pro...

Regardless of whether some Nike players use proto equipment (which happens with every OEM), the fact of the matter is that Nike produces a quality product, but unfortunately many people here and other sites due to their staff bag contracts with other OEMs make it a point to slam the company at every opportunity since they are getting free equipment and money and of course some of it is just dislike for the product without any real rationale other than my friends brothers uncles boyfriend had a nike knockoff driver made in taiwankarjakistan by midget monkeys being paid 2 pennies an hour...

I couldn't agree more with your statement about if a club is not fitted its not for them. My point was that I have yet to fit a player that the best club for them was a Nike one and I have fit quite a few players myself.

Justin

ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50

overated: High flop shots. keep it low.

underated: Golfers who walk and carry their bag. They should get at least .5 a stroke taken off. Nothing wrong with riding, but the game is easier when you get to rest on your tush the whole round.

Definitely agree with that. That said though, generally, the couple times a year I play in a cart with my grandparents or at a course the requires it or something; I suck. IDK why, but I can't play in a cart.

Anyway, Overrated:Nike Clubs just don't do it for me.

Underrated:Bridgestone Seriously, some sweet a** clubs.

unfortunately many people here and other sites due to their staff bag contracts with other OEMs make it a point to slam the company at every opportunity since they are getting free equipment and money and of course some of it is just dislike for the product without any real rationale other than my friends brothers uncles boyfriend had a nike knockoff driver made in taiwankarjakistan by midget monkeys being paid 2 pennies an hour...

I don't think the majority of people who think Nike is overrated are signed to contracts with other OEMs. There is some very real disdain for Nike equipment among many, and I will leave their past reputation for labor practices out of the discussion for now. There are many reasons for that.

Some of it probably started in the way that they got into the business, getting Woods and later Duval to escape from existing contracts with Titleist in what some thought was an underhanded manner. Then there was their early equipment, which truly wasn't very good -- as Mickelson said, "inferior", but which had early consumer success due to the Woods factor and Nike's huge marketing push. That did not help their reputation among those who knew their early equipment was pretty lousy. Then there is the generational factor; the popularity of Nike among young people again was seen as unjustified according to the quality of the equipment but instead was seen as largely due to the Woods effect with his largely younger fan base jumping on the Nike bandwagon and succumbing to the hype. You also have the design of the equipment itself, much of it unconventional with loud colors and graphics, seeming to need to draw attention to itself, which led to the suspicion that it was all style and no substance. There are undoubtedly other reasons as well.

I have no question that the equipment they produce these days is probably on par with most of the other big OEMs. But they have a negative reputation among some and that will be tough to overcome.

unfortunately many people here and other sites due to their staff bag contracts with other OEMs make it a point to slam the company at every opportunity since they are getting free equipment and money and of course some of it is just dislike for the product without any real rationale other than my friends brothers uncles boyfriend had a nike knockoff driver made in taiwankarjakistan by midget monkeys being paid 2 pennies an hour...

I don't think the majority of people who think Nike is overrated are signed to contracts with other OEMs. There is some very real disdain for Nike equipment among many, and I will leave their past reputation for labor practices out of the discussion for now. There are many reasons for that.

Some of it probably started in the way that they got into the business, getting Woods and later Duval to escape from existing contracts with Titleist in what some thought was an underhanded manner. Then there was their early equipment, which truly wasn't very good -- as Mickelson said, "inferior", but which had early consumer success due to the Woods factor and Nike's huge marketing push. That did not help their reputation among those who knew their early equipment was pretty lousy. Then there is the generational factor; the popularity of Nike among young people again was seen as unjustified according to the quality of the equipment but instead was seen as largely due to the Woods effect with his largely younger fan base jumping on the Nike bandwagon and succumbing to the hype. You also have the design of the equipment itself, much of it unconventional with loud colors and graphics, seeming to need to draw attention to itself, which led to the suspicion that it was all style and no substance. There are undoubtedly other reasons as well.

I have no question that the equipment they produce these days is probably on par with most of the other big OEMs. But they have a negative reputation among some and that will be tough to overcome.

They signed Tiger and Duval to contracts, nothing different than what Taylormade did with Sergio or Macgregor with Aaron Baddely. Was there any shadyness with TM signing Sergio or was the fact that Nike had the money to sign Tiger the issue? What did they do in the Tiger deal that was shady? What did they do in the Duval deal that was shady? DD ended his deal with Titleist when he started wearing Nike shoes as he said he was having foot problems. Did Nike put a gun to his head? Were other OEMs ready to sign him? If he had signed with tm vs Nike, would you have hated tm instead of Nike?

When Callaway was courting Phil and Ernie Els while they were still under contract with Titleist, was there any open dislike for Callaway? At least TW and DD were out of contract...

The first driver itself wasn't lousy, they had crappy shafts. (seems that Callaway does that and no one gets their panties in a bundle)

As far as the staff bags statement, I stand by it...I work with guys that have deals with TM, Titleist, Bridgestone and other companies and there are guys on this site and others sites that don't hide their affliation and their bias...and they make the same "factual" statements. Same bullcrap, different toilet.

Play what works for you, but until I see people saying the same statement about all the OEMS, I will stick by my view that people are repeating hyperbole, urban legends and whatever myopic viewpoints that fits their needs...