Most Under/Overrated Golf Company

cfreeman8

I don't really understand all the Nike Haters in here. I have hit pretty much every brand and like and dislike certain products. I feel that some may be overrated and some are underrated but the hatred towards Nike baffles me. I mean to call out their products as low quality with a body of professional work that proves otherwise seems odd. I've never liked Callaway and they've never played well for me but I wouldn't call them "Target Specials".

My point was not to say all their equipment is crap but rather to state that without Tiger and based solely upon their line up they wouldn't stand a chance against the other companies. Tiger sells period! You've bought something b/c of him, I've done it, everyones done it. Case in point...the new vr line, when it came out people ate it up b/c "tiger designed them" now he doesn't even play them.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overrated: TaylorMade...really, is it necessary to put out a new line of clubs or new widget every six weeks?

Underrated: I'm going to have to go with Mizuno and Adams. Folks who play Mizuno and Adams equipment are definitely in the minority.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

Overrated: Taylor Made, Callaway

Under-rated: Nike, (along with many others who can't warp the publics perspective with expensive advertising campaigns)

Seriously, don't bash Nike until you try it, I don't understand the hatred towards it. There golf balls aren't terrible, their shoes are amazing, their new blades are f*in amazing, I didn't even want to get them at first because of this weird vibe going around that Nike is inferior to the "great iron makers", but I couldn't deny how well I was playing with them and they are now in my bag for the foreseeable future. Anyone else here willing to stand up for Nike?

I don't really understand all the Nike Haters in here. I have hit pretty much every brand and like and dislike certain products. I feel that some may be overrated and some are underrated but the hatred towards Nike baffles me. I mean to call out their products as low quality with a body of professional work that proves otherwise seems odd. I've never liked Callaway and they've never played well for me but I wouldn't call them "Target Specials".

My point was not to say all their equipment is crap but rather to state that without Tiger and based solely upon their line up they wouldn't stand a chance against the other companies. Tiger sells period! You've bought something b/c of him, I've done it, everyones done it. Case in point...the new vr line, when it came out people ate it up b/c "tiger designed them" now he doesn't even play them.

I can honestly say I haven't purchased any Nike because of Tiger. I purchased a 48 degree Nike wedge circa 2004 and hated it. I purchased a Sumo Lucky 13 with the hope that I would hit more fairways with a 2 wood. Turns out I really like the Sumo look so I purchased a 10.5 driver. I bought a Nike Saquatch Bag because I found one on ebay for $40 new. I have looked into the Dymo and don't really like them. I bought into the "blades buzz" last season and people have gone blades crazy. People went Taylor Crazy when movable weights were introduced. The fickleness of marketing is just that but to condemn manufacturers because of good marketing and poor product lines is wrong or we can agree that every successful manufacturer is over rated because they have all had their 907D1 moments

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

Callaway are nice but definitely overrated...price wise.

How can Nike be overrated when they are relatively cheap. Their putters are crap but they are dirt cheap....the best in their price range.

SC, overrated as a putter, underrated as a collectible. nothing comes close to SC as a golf collectible. Almost all golf items lose their value after a few years, SC increases in value!!!! plus they are actually nice

remember golf is part performance, part fashion. Many of the underrated clubs also happen to be some of the ugliest clubs around (Nickent, Adam, although Adams recently seems to have hired a non-engineer designer to design their stuff), Wilson..... Callaway almost followed them into the clown designs with Diablo , another underrated club cause of its stupid design.

+1. I don't understand how Scotty Cameron putters keep their value for so long. Thats why I never bought one, its not worth the money. I want a nice Cameron but I don't have the will to pay 300 bucks for a putter. There stuff is nice but too pricey for me.

Over - TM and Cameron, i mean TM makes some good stuff but now many models are in between each good one, 400 and thats in one year, and dont get me started on cameron, the Kombi did it for me

Under - any company that has yet to sell out - Scratch, bridgestone(coming from a lefty), Mizuno, KZG, ect

Honorable mention, i miss hogan making new stuff!!!

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Underrated.............PING

Overrated................NIKE

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

Overrated....and this is a no-brainer......TaylorMade. They come out with too many new products and wayyy too often. I can never trust a company that does that. Also, I continually hear on this site and in golf shops about quality issues with them.

Underrated.....Nakashima. Amazing drivers. Absolutely amazing. Feel, length, service, quality. I only say underrated because anyone I know who has even tried them, love them. They do not do a lot of marketing and hard to find them as only specific dealers carry them. Maybe they only want to be as big as they can handle so possibly their rating is perfect for them.

Bottom line.....play what you like the feel of and what you like looking at and how you hit it. Never means one is better than the other. Nike blades may be amazing but I cannot hit it so does not mean they are bad....means I am bad...lol.

I love my Ping irons and will be a Ping iron player for life (unless they take a drastic downturn in quality). Workability, forgiveness (when not playing as much or just swinging badly), precision.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

Overrated: Scotty Cameron, Vokey, TaylorMade Drivers, "the forged iron feel"

wait wait wait wait, did you really just say the feel of a forged iron is overrated???? Hitting cast irons is boring and feels like I'm hitting with, i dont know, a block of cast iron. forged give you all those tiny details with every swing so you know exactly where you hit it on the face and how much you compressed the ball/caught it thin, hit a perfect shot, they give amazing feedback, etc. How is that over-rated again???

p.s- the rest of your overrated are spot on

Overrated = Cleveland (with exception of their wedges, which actually do play nice)

Underrated = Adams (who the HELL! does their marketing)

Callaway GBB Epic w/- Fujikura 6.2TS X, Callaway BB 816 3W w/- Blueboard 73
Callaway Optiforce 5W w/- Blueboard 83, Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-PW w/- PXF 6.0
Callaway MD3 52°/56° Callaway PM 60°, Odyssey ProType Tour #2

Drivers :

Over - TaylorMade (althought I currently play one, new drivers every month is not good...plus I have an Adams coming!!!)

Under - I'm going to say Adams...heard good things and the demo was very nice!

FW Woods / Hybrids :

Over - TaylorMade (same as above)

Under - Tour Edge / Bobby Jones

Irons :

Over - Titleist

Under - Nike (great irons from the Pro Tour to the newer Victory line up)

Wedges :

Over - Vokey

Under - Scratch (although they get good reviews here and are well known here, they are still under rated...no reviews in Golf mags, and not carried by most retailers)

Putters :

Over - Ping

Under - Byron / C & L

Balls :

Over : Titleist

Under : BridgeStone / Srixon / Nike

wait wait wait wait, did you really just say the feel of a forged iron is overrated???? Hitting cast irons is boring and feels like I'm hitting with, i dont know, a block of cast iron. forged give you all those tiny details with every swing so you know exactly where you hit it on the face and how much you compressed the ball/caught it thin, hit a perfect shot, they give amazing feedback, etc. How is that over-rated again???

p.s- the rest of your overrated are spot on

i think he meant the "hype" around it. Forged iron feel has a cult following like scotty cameron. By that i meant both have their ruthless crusaders.

forged may be better but better is completely subjective. Plenty of players on the pga play non forged irons dont forget

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Overrated = Cleveland (with exception of their wedges, which actually do play nice)

Underrated = Adams (who the HELL! does their marketing?)

Ill take Al Gore for $500 Alex

Seemore mFGP2 

Driver's

Over - Taylormade for sure. I loved the 2007 Burner TP but since I bought it a little less than a year ago I have seen at least 4 different "new and improved" TM drivers hit the market. No thank you sir.

Under - Adams. Don't really see too many younger people carrying them but the few that do can bomb the living crap out of them.

Woods

Over - Taylormade again :( Sorry guys but same reason as before.

Under - Tour Edge Exotic

Irons

Over - PING. Too bulky and large, plus I hate seeing 5+ year old clubs still selling for over $400 used. The sticks can't be worth that much.

Under - Hogan. Still some faithful followers but most people have left them to the wayside

Wedges

Meh don't really have an over/under. I like my Mizuno wedges and have pretty much liked all wedges that I have played.

Putters

Over - Scotty Cameron FTW on that one. Talking bad about a SC putter is like going into a Boston Bar wearing a Yankee's hat.

Under - Rife. I think too many people are too mesmerized by SC putters to give them a real chance.

i agree that TEE woods are underrated but they sure arent price like they are!!! :D

Seemore mFGP2 

Over - PING. Too bulky and large, plus I hate seeing 5+ year old clubs still selling for over $400 used. The sticks can't be worth that much.

Are you saying that you hate a set of irons that can retain their value a little higher than others? PING, AFAIK, does not set their resale value price point, its done by a third party like the PGA Value Guide, or Golfsmith. That basically means that they are worth it. Its also one of the very few companies on tour that has multiple players still playing and loving their 5+ year old irons.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

I wouldn't call them Target specials. There is a certain degree of engineering and r and d put into their designs. However, from day one they have always had a "cheap" quality to them be it the cosmetics, feel, balance or performance. Their original blade I think would be the exception. Every time they come out with a club (especially a driver) I want to like it. It's a song that always seems to end with the same sour note though. Keep trying Nike!

Overrated: Taylormade

Underrated: Bridgestone

Cobra Speedzone 9* w/ Tensei Pro White 70x
Mizuno ST200 15* w/Accra TZ5 100x Prototype
Taylormade P790 2i w/Recoil 120x Prototype
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4i-5i w/DG X7
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 6i-PW w/DG X7
Mizuno S18 50*/57* w/DG X100
Callaway MD5 64* w/DG S400
Kevin Burns Custom 9304

Are you saying that you hate a set of irons that can retain their value a little higher than others? PING, AFAIK, does not set their resale value price point, its done by a third party like the PGA Value Guide, or Golfsmith. That basically means that they are worth it. Its also one of the very few companies on tour that has multiple players still playing and loving their 5+ year old irons.

No PING does not allow any companies to put discounts on their clubs either. Ergo their clubs are "worth more".

Quick question - I bought a brand new set of XXX irons the same year that ping put out a set of XXX irons. Both were played the same amount, have the same face wear etc. Why are PING clubs worth more? Is it my fault that my company put out a new set of irons a year later, therefore lowering the "value" of my not really older clubs? It's not like PING irons are collectables or anything.

No PING does not allow any companies to put discounts on their clubs either. Ergo their clubs are "worth more".

Quick question - I bought a brand new set of XXX irons the same year that ping put out a set of XXX irons. Both were played the same amount, have the same face wear etc. Why are PING clubs worth more? Is it my fault that my company put out a new set of irons a year later, therefore lowering the "value" of my not really older clubs? It's not like PING irons are collectables or anything.

Pings aren't collectibles, but they are staunchly protective over the brand and its pricing, so the brand stays valued high. Our store has used TM irons for a mere $200-$300 because the brand is so saturated and over exposed, they are worth very little to trade in.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!