Nike VRS Covert Forged Iron Love thread... Wowzie! Comparison Pics added...

easyyy

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1407116379' post='9849603']
The price is down to $799 and I am oh so tempted. It just that I am hitting my two year old VRS Forged so well. Also does the price drop mean that they are coming out with a new version shortly that I will start drooling over and wish I waited to get them instead?
[/quote]

I think the only way I'd regret buying the CF 2.0 is if the iron that replaces them looks like the MMProto.

However, from a performance standpoint I'm really impressed. I'm still not 100% sold on the DG Pro as a shaft, the irons have performed as advertised. That said, I'm not entirely sure how much more I'd get from optimizing the shaft (thoughts?) Either way that's a next year project. I'm much longer in the 9 & PW (old clubs had similar lofts) in terms of carry distance. It's kind of hard to gauge distance gains as a whole as I had gamed clubs that didn't lie right so I would trap shots which I think delofts the club (I could be way off here). These clubs just launch balls. I really don't know how else to put it.

I played a par-3 with the Mrs on Saturday and she immediately noticed a difference in ball flight. Not only was it higher, but it was really penetrating. I'm finding I have to carry a bit further as I spin irons a tonne and if the ball didn't hop a foot and check up, it span backwards...a lot. I was playing TM Lethal (big sale on them locally) which I think is TM's old tour ball if that matters. I played a 9-hole course last night and scored a 39 with a triple on the 4th (my left hip popped on my tee shot). I was able to just take dead aim at the flag and I had a stretch of 5 birdie putts in a row. Even when I had a slight miss hit (my miss with irons is thin) I wasn't severly punished. At least not like my older clubs. I'd lose some flight and some distance, but nothing severe.

I was looking for something a little more forgiving and I found it. Now I just need to snag a 4-iron. I'm not entirely sure I need a 3-iron as I'll probably go 45,50,55,60 for my wedges to keep the 7-iron - 60* gaps the same. I have the CF AW so I'll bend that and get my 56* bent and pick up a 60 this year (hopefully).

The price is down to $799 and I am oh so tempted. It just that I am hitting my two year old VRS Forged so well. Also does the price drop mean that they are coming out with a new version shortly that I will start drooling over and wish I waited to get them instead?
[/quote]

Yes, I saw this, plus you can get 20% off on top of that at a few places. I am curious about what's new that is coming, but the reactions about how well these perform might just warrant the buy!

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/Mitsu Grand Bassara
Titleist 915F 3W
TMaG 4 Rescue 2011
PXG 0311XF 5-7 Steelfiber
PXG 0311 8-GW Steelfiber
Scotty Newport Notchback 34"
Titleist BV 54 & 58 Wedges

Still loving mine after 4-5 rounds. They feel very solid and wear fairly well.

Ping G 400 Max 9 degree w/ Proforce VTS Black 7s
Cobra F7 14.5 degree w/ Elements Chrome 7s
Cleveland Classic 18 degree hybrid w/ Fuji Fuel 95s
4-PW Srixon 585 and 785 AW w/ nippon modus 120,
Cleveland RTX4 54 and 58 w/ nippon modus 125 wedge shaft
Putter: Evnroll ER2 35'
Ball: TM TP5x or Pro V1x

[quote name='adfrick' timestamp='1407382348' post='9876521']
[/quote]

Yes, I saw this, plus you can get 20% off on top of that at a few places. I am curious about what's new that is coming, but the reactions about how well these perform might just warrant the buy!
[/quote]

Where can you get additional 20% off?

[quote name='CEPick' timestamp='1407607094' post='9895499']
[quote name='adfrick' timestamp='1407382348' post='9876521']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Where can you get additional 20% off?
[/quote]

Unfortunately at Golfsmith. It's online only.

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/Mitsu Grand Bassara
Titleist 915F 3W
TMaG 4 Rescue 2011
PXG 0311XF 5-7 Steelfiber
PXG 0311 8-GW Steelfiber
Scotty Newport Notchback 34"
Titleist BV 54 & 58 Wedges

The heads felt great. The stock NS PRO 950 GH shafts felt really light. I tried these irons two different times and just couldn't get past the light weight of the shafts. I am not a fast swinger either. I currently use the CFS stiff shafts in G20 irons.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

Not sure WHY you guys are gripping about this years hybrids They are fantastic and solid and long.
Did not care for the 2013 Tour version but the 2014 Tour 2.0 is the best I ever hit!

Play 2013 Pro Combos with Recoil shafts---Sweet!

Hit the new 2.0 forged irons and could not believe the feel at impact! Great feel to me, the ball explodes off the face.

Have both drivers and can not make up my mind which one to bag. Love them both. Easily the best drivers I have ever owned.

The amount of love for these irons in this thread is nothing short of amazing. I'm back in the market for a crossover GI/Players set and these seem like a great choice. Not a big fan of super light shafts like the stock Nippons though. Not a fan of paying retail for a custom set either.

Anyone noticed any tendency for these clubs to dig? I'm a digger and noticed the bounce is low. How about the finish durability?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[/quote]

Truly understanding your dilemma. My VRS Forged irons were playing so well that I actually thought my club ho'ing days were over until I scored a Mint set of Covert Forged irons for $500 on eBay. To keep a long story short, even though for me, the CFs tend to have a slightly more penetrating trajectory and travel about a half club longer, I simply can't bring myself to part with my VFs. Therefore I'm having my VFs reshafted with KBS Tours (soft stepped) to see if that evens the playing field to where I can justify (to myself) keeping both sets.

With all that being said both sets are phenomenal, but if you held my feet to the fire, I'd have to give the slight nod to the Covert Forged. However I must admit the VRS Forged are absolutely the straightest irons I've ever hit.

I will say that although the new Vapor irons are impressive, I'm perfectly cool with what I have for the time being.

Blending a bit of the old with the new going into 2024

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Driver 10.5*

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Fairway 3W 15*

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Hybrid 2H 17* / 4H 22* 

PXG 0311 XP Gen6 Double Black Irons 5i - GW 

Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black Wedge 54* / 58*

Tour Edge Exotics Wingman 702 Putter

PXG 0311 Black OPS Driver 10.5* (alt)

[quote name='bran' timestamp='1409108196' post='10015707']
I grabbed a set direct from Nike for ~$480. I'm pretty excited!
[/quote]

Yes, 20% off with the code. Expires at midnight.

Should I get Covert Forged or Pro Combo? Pro Combos are like $419 with discount.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

Nabbed me a set of CF 2.0 as well, thanks BIGTIME! My biggest gripe with the Apex/XP95 combo is the lack of forgiveness on thin hits. Last round I played with the Apex, I would be either way pin high or in the front bunker. Hoping the CFs fix that. It seemed to be true during my range time with the CF 7 iron.

What's in the Swift X?
Ping driver
Callaway fairways
Ping irons
TM ball
SeeMore mFPG

[quote name='duffer888' timestamp='1409157113' post='10018871']
Nabbed me a set of CF 2.0 as well, thanks BIGTIME! My biggest gripe with the Apex/XP95 combo is the lack of forgiveness on thin hits. Last round I played with the Apex, I would be either way pin high or in the front bunker. Hoping the CFs fix that. It seemed to be true during my range time with the CF 7 iron.
[/quote]Nie

Nice, got the Pro Combo's instead. Hopefully when there is another clearance sale they will still have Covert Forged 2.0. They still have the VR_S Forged for sale there, stiff flex only.

[quote name='bran' timestamp='1409160030' post='10019287']
Are these .355 taper tip?
[/quote]

Yes.

I've had my set since late May and plan keep these a long time. Great irons.

Driver... Cobra Aerojet LS, Lin-Q M40X R
Fairway... 4 & 7 TEE E722 Ventus Red R
Irons... 4-P Wilson Staff CB, UST Recoil 95 R
Wedges... 50/54/58 Cleveland RTX-6 Recoil 95 R
Putter... Odyssey White Hot Pro Super Stroke 2.0 XL Legacy

The 480 deal was a very short window that came and went on Nike's webpage. Its over now. 679 is still a great deal.

Driver... Cobra Aerojet LS, Lin-Q M40X R
Fairway... 4 & 7 TEE E722 Ventus Red R
Irons... 4-P Wilson Staff CB, UST Recoil 95 R
Wedges... 50/54/58 Cleveland RTX-6 Recoil 95 R
Putter... Odyssey White Hot Pro Super Stroke 2.0 XL Legacy

Been loving these since new, but the stock Nippons have to go. Getting rebuilt with PX 6.0's, any experiences with these or similar?? Seems some of the guys that went heavier shafts got good results??

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

[quote name='bushy007' timestamp='1409532365' post='10042245']
Been loving these since new, but the stock Nippons have to go. Getting rebuilt with PX 6.0's, any experiences with these or similar?? Seems some of the guys that went heavier shafts got good results??
[/quote]

I cannot say about the Covert Forged but I had the Nippon shafts in my VRS Forged replaced with Project X PXi 5.5 and it made a big difference. Lower ball flight, goes further, but stops quicker. The only reason I did not get the Covert Forged is because of the improvement the Project X made in the VRS Forged.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='bushy007' timestamp='1409532365' post='10042245']
[/quote]

Thought I was reasonably happy since replacing my Nike VRS Forged (stock Nippon HT) with the Covert Forged (stock Nippon R-flex) back in June of this year. (Reader's Digest version) I was actually contemplating selling my VRS Forged irons on eBay when I came across a great deal on some KBS Tour shafts (stiff). I had the KBS shafts soft-stepped and installed onto the Nike VRS Forged last week. Now my Covert Forged irons are in danger of being replaced.

Granted it's only been the better half of a week, but I'm pretty impressed with the KBS shafts so far. The trajectory is still mid to high, but my shots appear to have a more penetrating ball flight than with the stock Nippon shafts . One thing I can say so far is these KBS shafts are some of the smoothest shafts I've ever played. I'll know a great deal more this weekend as I game them in a 2-man scramble tournament in Reston, VA, but my initial impression is that changing to the KBS shafts was the right move.

Blending a bit of the old with the new going into 2024

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Driver 10.5*

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Fairway 3W 15*

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Hybrid 2H 17* / 4H 22* 

PXG 0311 XP Gen6 Double Black Irons 5i - GW 

Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black Wedge 54* / 58*

Tour Edge Exotics Wingman 702 Putter

PXG 0311 Black OPS Driver 10.5* (alt)

[quote name='w6racing' timestamp='1409840564' post='10062957']The only thing that is bugging me about mine is that the red on the back of the irons seems to be really faded.

Anyone else notice this?[/quote]

Not on mine.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

That's odd. I clean mine after every round and practice session. That is faded though.

[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1394194756' post='8818067']
I have them and I can almost guarantee that if people try them they will like them. I was blown away when I demoed them. I took my 6/7 iron to hit against them for a fair comparison. The sim said I was hitting the 6 iron on the CF irons 190 carry, 205 total, which is complete BS, a real solid 6 iron for me is 180. But when I hit my irons against these I was consistently 10 yards longer carry. I know the CF irons lofts are stronger, but only 2 deg over my irons.

I got the CF with the KBS tours, nice mid/high ball flight, fantastic feel. For me, the biggest selling point was no matter how I swung the clubs, I got a very straight ball flight, maybe a little draw, even if I swung all out.

I cannot say enough good things about these irons, in every aspect I was impressed, and the more I hit them the happier I am that I got them.
[/quote]
In the Marc crossfield review he talks about how the shafts are longer than other iron sets... You add that plus your admission that your iron set is 2 degrees weaker... Then u say that u got 10 more yards in sim vs your own irons.... Sounds about right.
Now if more forgiving, or attractive or better feel etc... Ok that's important.

But an iron with longer shaft & 2 degrees stronger lofts.... On a sim you said was juicing lofts.... I'd actually have expected more than a 10 yard improvement... Definitively wouldn't be surprised.

[quote name='sharkhark' timestamp='1410278827' post='10089715'][quote name='minteq' timestamp='1394194756' post='8818067']
I have them and I can almost guarantee that if people try them they will like them. I was blown away when I demoed them. I took my 6/7 iron to hit against them for a fair comparison. The sim said I was hitting the 6 iron on the CF irons 190 carry, 205 total, which is complete BS, a real solid 6 iron for me is 180. But when I hit my irons against these I was consistently 10 yards longer carry. I know the CF irons lofts are stronger, but only 2 deg over my irons.

I got the CF with the KBS tours, nice mid/high ball flight, fantastic feel. For me, the biggest selling point was no matter how I swung the clubs, I got a very straight ball flight, maybe a little draw, even if I swung all out.

I cannot say enough good things about these irons, in every aspect I was impressed, and the more I hit them the happier I am that I got them.
[/quote]
In the Marc crossfield review he talks about how the shafts are longer than other iron sets... You add that plus your admission that your iron set is 2 degrees weaker... Then u say that u got 10 more yards in sim vs your own irons.... Sounds about right.
Now if more forgiving, or attractive or better feel etc... Ok that's important.

But an iron with longer shaft & 2 degrees stronger lofts.... On a sim you said was juicing lofts.... I'd actually have expected more than a 10 yard improvement... Definitively wouldn't be surprised.[/quote]

The irons I tried were the same lengths as my current irons, so length was not an issue. They feel better and are much more forgiving.

So comparing them to my irons, while I understand are 2 degrees stronger, getting 10 yards more was quite a jump. Since I have gotten them I have been a consistent 1-2 clubs longer than my old irons, confidence and forgiveness have a lot to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X