Nike VRS Covert Forged Iron Love thread... Wowzie! Comparison Pics added...

easyyy

[quote name='bushy007' timestamp='1409532365' post='10042245']
Been loving these since new, but the stock Nippons have to go. Getting rebuilt with PX 6.0's, any experiences with these or similar?? Seems some of the guys that went heavier shafts got good results??
[/quote]

I originally had the DG Pro S300 in them and noticed they ballooned a bit. I bought some PXi 6.0 pulls from the BST that were pulled out of a set of CF 2.0's and I honestly couldn't be happier. Ball flight is a tad lower, but is really penetrating and still higher than my old 704cb (DG S300). The long irons are still easy to launch and seem to just go forever. I get very little rollout on greens though, maybe a hop and that's it, but if I flight the ball a bit lower I can generally get the ball to release. I actually hit a 9-iron into a 158 yard par 3 (slightly downhill) and hit pin high...then stood on the tee box livid as my ball sucked back off the green leaving me a 40ft putt as opposed to a 10ft one -_- I actually picked up close to a club in distance just by switching shafts.

I know that's not Nippon to PX 6.0, but that's the best I can do.

I really, really want to buy the Vapors, but I don't know if they'll be that much better than the CF 2.0 performance wise. I'm sold on the Vapor's aesthetics (Nike nailed it imo), but I think they'd be hard pressed to top the performance of the CF. These are the first Nike irons, actually club, that I've ever bought and I'm extremely impressed.

Re: Mark Crossfield - I have no idea what he's talking about regarding the shaft length. They seem pretty standard to me and they are the same shaft length my Titleist 704CBs.

I think it is the non forged Coverts that are over length, but I may be wrong. I recall last years VRS Covert were over length.

My CFs are the same length club for club as my Apex, which are standard length.

Problem I have now is I can't decide which I prefer. Pros and cons associated with each. Beginning to regret opening this can of worms. CF or Apex? Ugh...

What's in the Swift X?
Ping driver
Callaway fairways
Ping irons
TM ball
SeeMore mFPG

[quote name='duffer888' timestamp='1410283122' post='10090181']
I think it is the non forged Coverts that are over length, but I may be wrong. I recall last years VRS Covert were over length.

My CFs are the same length club for club as my Apex, which are standard length.

Problem I have now is I can't decide which I prefer. Pros and cons associated with each. Beginning to regret opening this can of worms. CF or Apex? Ugh...
[/quote]

I assume we are all going to show bias in this thread, but for me it was no contest. I thought I wanted the Apex until I hit the Covert forged 2.0. I may have given up a little in the feel department, but for me Covert forged 2.0 beat Apex in the results department by a healthy margin. YMMV...

Ping G 400 Max 9 degree w/ Proforce VTS Black 7s
Cobra F7 14.5 degree w/ Elements Chrome 7s
Cleveland Classic 18 degree hybrid w/ Fuji Fuel 95s
4-PW Srixon 585 and 785 AW w/ nippon modus 120,
Cleveland RTX4 54 and 58 w/ nippon modus 125 wedge shaft
Putter: Evnroll ER2 35'
Ball: TM TP5x or Pro V1x

[quote name='Mr_Rogers' timestamp='1410280442' post='10089887'][quote name='bushy007' timestamp='1409532365' post='10042245']
Been loving these since new, but the stock Nippons have to go. Getting rebuilt with PX 6.0's, any experiences with these or similar?? Seems some of the guys that went heavier shafts got good results??
[/quote]

I originally had the DG Pro S300 in them and noticed they ballooned a bit. I bought some PXi 6.0 pulls from the BST that were pulled out of a set of CF 2.0's and I honestly couldn't be happier. Ball flight is a tad lower, but is really penetrating and still higher than my old 704cb (DG S300). The long irons are still easy to launch and seem to just go forever. I get very little rollout on greens though, maybe a hop and that's it, but if I flight the ball a bit lower I can generally get the ball to release. I actually hit a 9-iron into a 158 yard par 3 (slightly downhill) and hit pin high...then stood on the tee box livid as my ball sucked back off the green leaving me a 40ft putt as opposed to a 10ft one -_- I actually picked up close to a club in distance just by switching shafts.

I know that's not Nippon to PX 6.0, but that's the best I can do.

I really, really want to buy the Vapors, but I don't know if they'll be that much better than the CF 2.0 performance wise. I'm sold on the Vapor's aesthetics (Nike nailed it imo), but I think they'd be hard pressed to top the performance of the CF. These are the first Nike irons, actually club, that I've ever bought and I'm extremely impressed.

Re: Mark Crossfield - I have no idea what he's talking about regarding the shaft length. They seem pretty standard to me and they are the same shaft length my Titleist 704CBs.[/quote]

Shafts aren't longer. I actually think they're slightly shorter than the Pro Combos.

That's good to hear about the PX6.0's. That's what I'm looking for, along with the added weight. While they're off getting built I've gone back to my 2011 PC's which are D4 with DGS300 and the added control has been great. Just missing the forgiveness of the CF's.

I'm loving the Vapors too, keen to see how they perform. I'm loving the look and the move away from the VR line.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

• 1 month later...

I've had my Covert Forged 2.0 for a month now and all I have to say is WOW! These are great. I love them. I can't imagine the Vapors displacing them. These are ridiculously good!

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/Mitsu Grand Bassara
Titleist 915F 3W
TMaG 4 Rescue 2011
PXG 0311XF 5-7 Steelfiber
PXG 0311 8-GW Steelfiber
Scotty Newport Notchback 34"
Titleist BV 54 & 58 Wedges

[quote name='adfrick' timestamp='1413476619' post='10299637']
I've had my Covert Forged 2.0 for a month now and all I have to say is WOW! These are great. I love them. I can't imagine the Vapors displacing them. These are ridiculously good!
[/quote]

Yep. I've had mine for about 5 months now and they are amazing. I am so tempted to pick up a set of the Vapor pro combos when they come out, but how much better can they really be than the Covert Forged? If I do pick up a set of the Vapors, it won't be until late next year when Nike announces their next line of clubs and the price drops in half. No sense in spending a thousand dollars for a new set of Vapors when they may only be marginally better than the Covert Forged at best.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway Rogue 17°, 21°
Mizuno Pro 225 (4-GW)
Bettinardi H2 54°, 58° Wedges
Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V1

Logging in some more time with my Covert Forged and I think the Apex are permanently out of the bag. Don't think I get along with the XP95 shaft. Butt seems too stiff and low-mid too soft. Prefer the less bounce of the Coverts too.

What's in the Swift X?
Ping driver
Callaway fairways
Ping irons
TM ball
SeeMore mFPG

• 1 month later...

hi i like my new irons to have a bit of that mizuno like grind, you know where the heel and front have a bit ground off, i find i am a flat swinger and it helps me to take a bit of a divot so i am asking do these irons have that? they appear to have a big bottom but have the appearance of a bit of the mizuno ( i think they call it the triple grind or something like that).

any comments? i dont like how the bounce on my titleist ap1 irons make it difficult to hit down and take a divot.
when i swing mizuno it is thinner bottom and grind and easy. my buddies old bridgestone j38 irons i take a nice huge pelt. but with titleist i take almost nothing.

any comments on the divots and turf interaction?

I am gaming the Vapor Pro combos and I have to admit, they are every bit as awesome as the Covert Forged. I am torn between the 2. You cannot go wrong with either. The Covert Forged are way more forgiving and I find misses with the Vapor PCs shorter than those with the CFs.
Either way, I would not mind gaming the PCs. They are just as good as the CFs.

[quote name='Guileman' timestamp='1417276626' post='10517477']
I am gaming the Vapor Pro combos and I have to admit, they are every bit as awesome as the Covert Forged. I am torn between the 2. You cannot go wrong with either. The Covert Forged are way more forgiving and I find misses with the Vapor PCs shorter than those with the CFs.
Either way, I would not mind gaming the PCs. They are just as good as the CFs.
[/quote]

I got rid of my CF once I hit my VPC a few times. The flight is better, the CF sometimes was too high, and I thought the Nippon shafts were too light. I am hitting the same distance with both irons, but better feel, and the VPC look so much better.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

[quote name='sharkhark' timestamp='1417361266' post='10521117']
Any comment on the grind? Bottoms ability to take a nice divot? Turf interaction? Please? ?
[/quote]

The divots are more shallow with the VPC, the bottoms on the CF were a little too big for my hit, and seemed to take bigger divots. The VPC really cuts thru the turf nicely, without digging. The feel of the hit is also much better, and like I said I am getting the same distance even though the CF had stronger lofts.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

FWIW, my GF, a LPGA Master and Nike Staffer, plays the VR Pro Combos(2012). She just got her set to take south with her after Christmas. However, she hit these last winter and then in the spring and while she stayed with what she's been playing the last few years, she said that if she made a move, these would be the iron. She felt that they they blew away the VRS Forged, both cosmetically and performance wise for her. However, I must say that she's like me in that if she doesn't like the appearance of a club, it's downhill from there, lol.

As some might know, I'm a blade guy, however for a Pocket CB, these are have a nice "clean" look and I like the lines, versus the VRS, which I didn't care for.

I'm not a Nike guy, cept for a few Method putters, however I got to play the VR Pro Combos(what my GF plays, though spec'd for me obviously, lol) and those were a sweet set of irons. Best designed split set on the market, IMO. I'm not a fan of mixing/matching an OEM's MB & MCB(MP-63/64) or CB(MP-53/54) even Mizzy, I don't care what they say.

Anyhoo, these are an excellent, if under the radar iron, and if one is in the market, and not looking at blades, they'd be foolish not to hit/play these and give em a look.

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1417370526' post='10521567']
[quote name='sharkhark' timestamp='1417361266' post='10521117']
Any comment on the grind? Bottoms ability to take a nice divot? Turf interaction? Please? ?
[/quote]

The divots are more shallow with the VPC, the bottoms on the CF were a little too big for my hit, and seemed to take bigger divots. The VPC really cuts thru the turf nicely, without digging. The feel of the hit is also much better, and like I said I am getting the same distance even though the CF had stronger lofts.
[/quote]
Thanks.
I have problems taking enough divot so for me I wouldn't mind if they did. Thanks for feedback.

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1417374824' post='10521863']
FWIW, my GF, a LPGA Master and Nike Staffer, plays the VR Pro Combos(2012). She just got her set to take south with her after Christmas. However, she hit these last winter and then in the spring and while she stayed with what she's been playing the last few years, she said that if she made a move, these would be the iron. She felt that they they blew away the VRS Forged, both cosmetically and performance wise for her. However, I must say that she's like me in that if she doesn't like the appearance of a club, it's downhill from there, lol.

As some might know, I'm a blade guy, however for a Pocket CB, these are have a nice "clean" look and I like the lines, versus the VRS, which I didn't care for.

I'm not a Nike guy, cept for a few Method putters, however I got to play the VR Pro Combos(what my GF plays, though spec'd for me obviously, lol) and those were a sweet set of irons. Best designed split set on the market, IMO. I'm not a fan of mixing/matching an OEM's MB & MCB(MP-63/64) or CB(MP-53/54) even Mizzy, I don't care what they say.

Anyhoo, these are an excellent, if under the radar iron, and if one is in the market, and not looking at blades, they'd be foolish not to hit/play these and give em a look.

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard
[/quote]

Richard - what does your Gf think about the vapor pocket cavity irons? Is she going to make the switch or stay with the pro combos. Thanks

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='KillerBgolfer' timestamp='1418010299' post='10560311']
Just got a set of these and they knocked the AP2 714 out of the bag. I was really impressed. I'm getting them regripped now and then it's go time. Anyone gamed them for awhile? How do they stand up to bag chatter, wear, etc.?

thanks
[/quote]

I have been playing a set for more than a year. I mostly walk, and mine have held up very well. I really like these irons, and I came from Cally X-Protos. I did reshaft mine with TT Tour Concepts.

• 4 months later...

Hi, resurrecting this thread. Bought them in off season winter. Unusually bad winter just got good enough this week to open the odd range or course here on East coast of Canada in Halifax Nova Scotia.

I went to range. Took it easy due to remnants of pain from dislocated left shoulder a year ago.

Impressive. I expected rust and yet I swung easy & got great results. It had a severe wind to the right and yet the balls were piecing. Almost unaffected by wind at all.

I normally draw or hook so the wind could've been helping a bit but I could just tell that I found a good match in these Nippon shafts with this head.

I must say the mark crossfield review is dead on. Look it up if you haven't.

There's a very different unique feeling that this club ho has never felt. Very firm, very strong feeling at impact. Not a sound or feel of a forged. But very forgiving & very accurate. I swing average & I am regular flex. But I was getting a club longer or more than my ap1 712 irons I just sold.

The shaft felt solid for my swing. Cannot wait to try them for real this weekend.

That will be first round of year, a course that I've never played... With my still damaged shoulder (did I lay out enough excuses? Hmm? Lol).

But one range session has shown these to be very different than any of the many many iron sets I've had. I don't usually get that newness rave review that others do only to wilt later. I'm sceptical with each new set.

I realize clearly these days there is nothing doing technology.
Mostly longer shafts & stronger lies.

I just need a really good set and I think this might be a winner. I'll post my experiences soon.

• 2 months later...

I know that this is an old topic, but I figured I'd post here instead of opening a new one and hopefully somebody will see it and have an answer for me.
I have been playing these irons since last season and I absolutely LOVE them, except for their grips in hot, humid weather. No matter what I do, my right hand sweats and I can't grip the club solidly without affecting my shots. I even ended up buying a pair of FJ rain gloves, only to be able to play these clubs with the stock grips.
The reason why I haven't had the grips replaced is that I like the clubs so much that I don't even want the possibility to affect their SW with new grips... but hopefully with your help I'll be able to find a replacement.
So, does anybody know what half cord grip could replace the stock tour velvets without affecting SW? What is the weight of the stock grips? Nike took them off the website and I can't look it up anymore.

Thanks!

[quote name='amanuel777' timestamp='1438039509' post='12030422']
I know that this is an old topic, but I figured I'd post here instead of opening a new one and hopefully somebody will see it and have an answer for me.
I have been playing these irons since last season and I absolutely LOVE them, except for their grips in hot, humid weather. No matter what I do, my right hand sweats and I can't grip the club solidly without affecting my shots. I even ended up buying a pair of FJ rain gloves, only to be able to play these clubs with the stock grips.
The reason why I haven't had the grips replaced is that I like the clubs so much that I don't even want the possibility to affect their SW with new grips... but hopefully with your help I'll be able to find a replacement.
So, does anybody know what half cord grip could replace the stock tour velvets without affecting SW? What is the weight of the stock grips? Nike took them off the website and I can't look it up anymore.

Thanks!
[/quote]
I would think the weight is identical to Golf Pride Tour Velvets as that's what they're based on.

I can't see changing grips affecting SW that much. Your hand slipping is going to throw you off more.

Thanks a lot for the response, CEPick. I am looking to put a half cord grip, not to just replace the Nike TV with the original GP one.
It may sound stupid, but a few years ago I ruined my previous favorite iron set (Callaway Diablo Forged) by messing with grips, shafts and what not, thinking that I knew what I was doing.
The set never felt the same, even after I brought it back to what it was when I bought it.

Inherited a set of these from my Dad after he bought a set of mp-64s. I can not tell you guys how in love I am with these irons. It took a few rounds to get used to em (My old set were super GIs) but man, I freaking pure these. Love the sound and feel. I know these aren't the purists forged irons, but man. what a world of difference from my prior experience.

• 9 months later...

Anyone still gaming these?

I'm thinking about buying a set. I played forged pro combos but went back to my vr_s forged (best irons ever) because I'm just not at a place in my game where I can hit the pro combos consistently.

My Vr_s forged are showing wear and I want to save them so I'm thinking about going to the covert forged.

What are the main differences between the two ( besides the endo forged and the look behind the ball)?