Nike VRS Covert Forged Iron Love thread... Wowzie! Comparison Pics added...

easyyy

[quote name='SD-Golfn' timestamp='1404491695' post='9637163']
Yes you can get an AW.

I bought my set 5-AW because I already had 3 and 4 hybrids. The 5 iron is sooo easy to hit that I'm considering picking up a 4 iron and ditching the 4 hybrid.
[/quote]I have 5-aw also. I have always struggled with long irons in the past and for some reason I'm loving the long irons in this set. I don't really need a 4 iron as I already hit my 5 iron in the 210 range off the tee and 200 range off the turf and love my hybrids, but I can imagine how the 4 iron woukd be great.

Changing...

[quote name='SD-Golfn' timestamp='1404491695' post='9637163']
Yes you can get an AW.

I bought my set 5-AW because I already had 3 and 4 hybrids. The 5 iron is sooo easy to hit that I'm considering picking up a 4 iron and ditching the 4 hybrid.
[/quote]

I got a set this week 4-AW. The 4 is just as easy to hit as my Adams 4H.

The ball just screams off the face. They are lofted a club stronger than my Scratch EZ-1, so I have to get used to that, but they are slightly more forgiving on off center hits.

[quote name='SPIF' timestamp='1404746553' post='9651833']
Can anyone comment on the amount of offset relative to, say the AP2 or 2014 Nike Pro Combos? I can't find this club anywhere within 1 1/2 hrs. from me. I may purchase blind, but the offset (suspected amount of) is holding me up right now.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

all of the offset info your requesting is on the respective websites...

AP2
[attachment=2311685:AP2.png]
Covert Forged
[attachment=2311687:Covert Forged.png]
Pro Combo
[attachment=2311689:Pro Combo.png]

I bought a set after hitting them at a local shop and getting the best numbers off the s300 shaft (stock length and lie, stock grip) . However the swing weight on the set I bought seems significantly heavier than the one I hit at the store.

1) Anyone know what the swing weight would be on a stock length S300 w multi-compound grip?
2) Any ideas on why the swing weight would be different than the one I hit at the store?

I know the stock grip is heavier than the custom grip by about 7 grams or so but doesn't seem like that would make much of a difference.

[quote name='greenjacket' timestamp='1404789854' post='9657241']
Has anyone mixed a set of the Covert forged with the VR pro combos? Was thinking of getting 4 and 5 in the Covert Forged and then 6-PW in the Vr Pro Combos. If someone has done this, how has it worked for you?
[/quote]

While I've played both sets, I have not played them in the combination you've inquired about. I would imagine, however that with the appropriate customization/modification, you could make just about any combination work. From merely referencing the specs listed in post #483, it appears as if you'd encounter a significant loft imbalance between the two sets (6 degree gap between CF 5 iron and VR Pro Combo 6 iron).

Admittedly the Pro Combo is probably the more visually attractive club of the two, but unless you're committed to changing out shafts/grips and lofts, the two sets don't appear to be all that compatible

Blending a bit of the old with the new going into 2024

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Driver 10.5*

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Fairway 3W 15*

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Hybrid 2H 17* / 4H 22* 

PXG 0311 XP Gen6 Double Black Irons 5i - GW 

Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black Wedge 54* / 58*

Tour Edge Exotics Wingman 702 Putter

PXG 0311 Black OPS Driver 10.5* (alt)

[quote name='greenjacket' timestamp='1404877243' post='9664151']
I was going to order the 4 and 5 covert forged 2 degrees weak with DG Pro shafts to match the Procombo set. I figured this would give a better synergy throughout the set.
[/quote]

I had the same thought about 3 weeks ago and requested a quote from Discount Dan's. Their answer was "unfortunately the VRS Forged 2.0s are history in custom". Don't know why. Seems weird for an iron that hasn't been out that long.

My only thought on why they're out is that they're releasing a new version in the fall. A full set like the 2 iron Rory has in his bag this week would be pretty sweet. That club looks sick.

I had contacted DD looking to order a 3 iron for my set. Got the same answer. It's definitely one of the best performing irons to come out this year. Everyone that hits them like them. I presume they have the next version almost ready to go. If they can keep or improve the performance while making it look a tad slimmer at address, my wallets not going to be happy. Ha.

[quote name='greenjacket' timestamp='1404789854' post='9657241']
Has anyone mixed a set of the Covert forged with the VR pro combos? Was thinking of getting 4 and 5 in the Covert Forged and then 6-PW in the Vr Pro Combos. If someone has done this, how has it worked for you?
[/quote].

I have this actual set. I got the pro combos 1 degree strong and the cf 5 iron 1 degree weak. That way I have 4 degree gaps all the way through. They play pretty well. I got rip tour (stiff) shafts put in them. The rips play awesome in the pro combos, but don't feel as good in the c forged.

[quote name='TamaleFestival' timestamp='1405019881' post='9675185']
I had the same thought about 3 weeks ago and requested a quote from Discount Dan's. Their answer was "unfortunately the VRS Forged 2.0s are history in custom". Don't know why. Seems weird for an iron that hasn't been out that long.
[/quote]

If you are still interested in the 2.0 Forged I'd contact Dan's again. I've got a quote for the irons I mentioned as they are doing custom orders again.

[quote name='brent' timestamp='1405035993' post='9676761']
New version in fall. I got another set just today. Just had to talk to the right people to get it done!
[/quote]

I was originally told no custom sets anymore too and was actually told Nike is launching new irons in the fall. I called Nike and they said they're doing custom orders for the 2.0 Forged again. DD's gave me a quote at the start of the week that was so low I had to ask if they quoted me on the correct iron.

Kind of torn on what to do. Do I go ahead and get the 2.0 at a good price, or pay more for a newer iron in the fall...

[quote name='Mr_Rogers' timestamp='1405084338' post='9679623']
[quote name='TamaleFestival' timestamp='1405019881' post='9675185']
[/quote]

If you are still interested in the 2.0 Forged I'd contact Dan's again. I've got a quote for the irons I mentioned as they are doing custom orders again.

[quote name='brent' timestamp='1405035993' post='9676761']
New version in fall. I got another set just today. Just had to talk to the right people to get it done!
[/quote]

I was originally told no custom sets anymore too and was actually told Nike is launching new irons in the fall. I called Nike and they said they're doing custom orders for the 2.0 Forged again. DD's gave me a quote at the start of the week that was so low I had to ask if they quoted me on the correct iron.

Kind of torn on what to do. Do I go ahead and get the 2.0 at a good price, or pay more for a newer iron in the fall...
[/quote]How much newer can you go? Why? For the sake of the latest and greatest? These irons are the real deal and just flat out work. We don't even know what kind of iron they're going to release, do we?

Changing...

I doubt the new line of irons coming out in the fall is going to replace the Covert Forged 2.0 irons, since they were just released in January. That's too soon.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway Rogue 17°, 21°
Mizuno Pro 225 (4-GW)
Bettinardi H2 54°, 58° Wedges
Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jimv' timestamp='1405128855' post='9684101']
I love this thread and my cf2.0's. Finally Nike is getting some much deserved love. If they can ever get their hybrids straightened out I could become 100% Nike��
[/quote]

I agree with you but would add the original Covert driver to the hybrid dislike you mentioned. I got scarred for life after gaming the Covert driver and swore I would never do a Nike again but the CF 2.0s are just too sweet. I bought them off a WRXer and I think I have found a replacement for my diablos.

[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1393817540' post='8784550']
[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1393790216' post='8779274']
[quote name='np78' timestamp='1393779968' post='8778140']
they are great irons I've hit them. High beautiful flight without ballooning. Love the stock nippons.

Also love the 4-A covers 22 deg to 51 deg - throw in a pair of wedges and can go hybrid or 5 wood at the top after the 4 iron
[/quote]

Great points. Nippon premium shafts and covers that gap between PW and 56*. I agree with you non ballooning comment also. Great flight and long.
[/quote]

Can you tell us more about thes Nipppons? Specifically, how do they compare to CFS(Ping stock) and KBS Tour V? No doubt in my mind that the heads are great. Just worried about stock Nippons.
[/quote]Lobber,

I have played the i20's with the CFS stiff shaft, they are great shafts. Ball flight was about a medium height, felt great. I now have the Covert forged with the Nippon's and I must say the play just like the CFS in my opinion. ball flight is about medium height and they feel like your getting a little kick as you strike the ball. I like the shaft and the covert forged.

[quote name='jlock25' timestamp='1405853663' post='9739769']
[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1393817540' post='8784550']
[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1393790216' post='8779274']
[quote name='np78' timestamp='1393779968' post='8778140']
they are great irons I've hit them. High beautiful flight without ballooning. Love the stock nippons.

Also love the 4-A covers 22 deg to 51 deg - throw in a pair of wedges and can go hybrid or 5 wood at the top after the 4 iron
[/quote]

Great points. Nippon premium shafts and covers that gap between PW and 56*. I agree with you non ballooning comment also. Great flight and long.
[/quote]

Can you tell us more about thes Nipppons? Specifically, how do they compare to CFS(Ping stock) and KBS Tour V? No doubt in my mind that the heads are great. Just worried about stock Nippons.
[/quote]Lobber,

I have played the i20's with the CFS stiff shaft, they are great shafts. Ball flight was about a medium height, felt great. I now have the Covert forged with the Nippon's and I must say the play just like the CFS in my opinion. ball flight is about medium height and they feel like your getting a little kick as you strike the ball. I like the shaft and the covert forged.
[/quote]

Thanks for the insights. I ended up going in a different direction and have Steel Fibers95s in a set of J40 DPC and am getting excellent results. Have a set of Coverts with DG Pro S300 if anyone is interested

Finally got out and played last night. I have a 5-AW w/DG Pro S300, but need to grab a 4i and possibly a 3i. Though I think a 4i and a 60* wedge might be a smarter move for my local courses.

First off, I cannot believe how easy it is to launch the ball with these and how frequently I made extremely solid contact. The latter probably has more to do with actually have them 2* flat. I won't get too caught up in the distances because the lofts are fairly strong compared to my 704CB. For example my 704cb 7i is 35*, whereas the CF 8i is 35*. I guess techinically I'm a club longer, but if I'm strictly looking at the lofts I don't know how much further I'm hitting a 35* club. I did airmail a 7i on a 170yd par 3 though, that thing just flew off the face and didn't come down. My ball flight seemd a bit higher than my 704cb w/DG S300. I do think the Pro shaft did as advertised as my 5 & 6 were noticeably higher than my old 4 & 5 irons.

I'll probably play the DG Pro S300 for a year or so before getting some KBS Tour-V shafts. I loved the shafts in the Apex Pro's I hit.

I only got to play 9 holes with mine so far but I'm impressed. 4-AW with modus 120 s, coming from CB3s with ctaper s. The lofts are fairly similar and I clearly gained a little distance. The well-struck shots (when they actually happened) didn't feel quite as sweet but the CF 2.0 are clearly more forgiving. Excited to keep testing...

Ping G 400 Max 9 degree w/ Proforce VTS Black 7s
Cobra F7 14.5 degree w/ Elements Chrome 7s
Cleveland Classic 18 degree hybrid w/ Fuji Fuel 95s
4-PW Srixon 585 and 785 AW w/ nippon modus 120,
Cleveland RTX4 54 and 58 w/ nippon modus 125 wedge shaft
Putter: Evnroll ER2 35'
Ball: TM TP5x or Pro V1x

[quote name='asm11' timestamp='1406209627' post='9774823']
The well-struck shots (when they actually happened) didn't feel quite as sweet but the CF 2.0 are clearly more forgiving. Excited to keep testing...
[/quote]

I kind of know what you mean, totally different feeling at impact compared to what I'm used to. Though, I literally didn't feel a thing when I caught all of that 7i. I initially thought I miss hit it. One thing that really through me off was how light the head is. It felt like I was just swinging a shaft.

Maybe too early to tell, but how's the Modus shaft?

[quote name='Mr_Rogers' timestamp='1406212170' post='9775127']
[quote name='asm11' timestamp='1406209627' post='9774823']
The well-struck shots (when they actually happened) didn't feel quite as sweet but the CF 2.0 are clearly more forgiving. Excited to keep testing...
[/quote]

I kind of know what you mean, totally different feeling at impact compared to what I'm used to. Though, I literally didn't feel a thing when I caught all of that 7i. I initially thought I miss hit it. One thing that really through me off was how light the head is. It felt like I was just swinging a shaft.

Maybe too early to tell, but how's the Modus shaft?
[/quote]

So far, so good, but yeah, it's probably too early to tell. Coming from the c taper it feels lighter but still heavy enough. I didn't get along with the stock shaft as I naturally hit the ball high. Like I said, it's only 9 holes, but I was a club longer based on the tiny sample size. I assume that is partially due to the lighter shaft and not just the head. I kept my CB3s so I will do more head-to-head testing. Glad you're enjoying yours, too.

Ping G 400 Max 9 degree w/ Proforce VTS Black 7s
Cobra F7 14.5 degree w/ Elements Chrome 7s
Cleveland Classic 18 degree hybrid w/ Fuji Fuel 95s
4-PW Srixon 585 and 785 AW w/ nippon modus 120,
Cleveland RTX4 54 and 58 w/ nippon modus 125 wedge shaft
Putter: Evnroll ER2 35'
Ball: TM TP5x or Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

The price is down to $799 and I am oh so tempted. It just that I am hitting my two year old VRS Forged so well. Also does the price drop mean that they are coming out with a new version shortly that I will start drooling over and wish I waited to get them instead?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Guileman' timestamp='1405822153' post='9738409']
[quote name='Jimv' timestamp='1405128855' post='9684101']
I love this thread and my cf2.0's. Finally Nike is getting some much deserved love. If they can ever get their hybrids straightened out I could become 100% Nike��
[/quote]

I agree with you but would add the original Covert driver to the hybrid dislike you mentioned. I got scarred for life after gaming the Covert driver and swore I would never do a Nike again but the CF 2.0s are just too sweet. I bought them off a WRXer and I think I have found a replacement for my diablos.
[/quote]

Felt the same way with the original covert driver but the covert 2.0 tour is awesome. Keep hoping on the hybrid front.