2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Nike VRS Covert Forged Iron Love thread... Wowzie! Comparison Pics added...

easyyy

Do you guys think a 20 handicap can game these? I love the simplistic look compared to nike's vapor line. They felt great trying them at the range.

I would Imagine so. Every review I've read says they are marketed to mid-high handicappers but anyone can play them. I've hit the 9 iron (obviously not a large sample size) and it felt great but this was in 2014 and I really don't remember anything else about them.

But short answer, yes. They'd be a great set for a 20 to game. They could be gamed for a long time as your game improves and scores lower. I've heard single digits that game these and say they are some of the best clubs they've ever played.

Thanks for the feedback, I have played 3 rounds (9 hole rounds) and I really like them, I was gaming speedblades but I was having issues cause I felt those were not very accurate in the shorter irons maybe it's just me. I feel these are less forgiving but even if I blade it it goes the same distance vs the speedblades would go another 20 yards.

Much better than the original VRS forged?

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

Thanks for the feedback, I have played 3 rounds (9 hole rounds) and I really like them, I was gaming speedblades but I was having issues cause I felt those were not very accurate in the shorter irons maybe it's just me. I feel these are less forgiving but even if I blade it it goes the same distance vs the speedblades would go another 20 yards.

How did you find the distance between the SB and Covert Forged?

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

The speedblades were longer but it's probably due to the longer shafts that come stock. In the 4 and 5 irons I hit them about 10 yards more. The problem I kept having with the irons is that the dispersion felt off, it's probably due to me playing a strong grip and if I come it with the face closed I end up pulling my shots, but it was frustrating hitting a 4 irons way left. I have always played Nike but I am starting to dislike the direction of there clubs making cavity back drivers and volt color way. I was a huge fan of the black and red victory red and the classic look of their irons. I like the covert forged 2.0 cause imho it's the last of their classic looking clubs.

I go to the range everyday at lunch time and hit a bucket. Hitting with the speedblades gets boring cause they are cast and every shot feels the same. I use to have the pro combo cb's and it made going to the range a blast cause it was challenging learning to hit players irons but I would pay for it if I wasn't striking it well. Getting the forged 2.0's have been making the range fun again and is helping me know when I mishit the clubs.

I have the 2.0 driver and I am not sure if it will stay in the bag. Just got the aero burner and I hit 7 outa 8 fairways last week. I was amazed it was longer and more forgiving however all the reviews say how forgiving the covert driver is.

Sold my VPC's last year and went back to these. They can easily be played by single-digit handicaps up to a 20 HC. Nice blend of feel, forgiveness (without continually rewarding your swing with mishits all over the club face) and looks that perform as well as anything else out there in this segment despite the fact that they are now 3 years in the market. The profile of the club is "slightly" larger than I would like and they aren't as workable as the PC's or VPC's but you can still flight them high/low and move them a little left or right. Oh, they don't have speed slots, garish badging, tungsten weighting and hot spots that send the ball an extra 10-20 yards with no rhyme or reason. No, they are simply a WONDERFUL set of GI irons that continue to work for me.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* w/Fujikura Motore F3
PING G425 Max 3 wood w/ALTA CB 65 Slate

Taylormade Stealth 15* w/Hzrdus RDX 75

SRIXON 3 (22°) Utility Iron w/Recoil Dart F3   
PXG 0317T (5-W) w/Recoil Dart F4

PXG Sugar Daddy II 56* w/Recoil Dart F4

VOKEY SM9 50° & 60° w/Tensei AV
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 w/Accra Shaft (Black on Black)
PRO V1x

The speedblades were longer but it's probably due to the longer shafts that come stock. In the 4 and 5 irons I hit them about 10 yards more. The problem I kept having with the irons is that the dispersion felt off, it's probably due to me playing a strong grip and if I come it with the face closed I end up pulling my shots, but it was frustrating hitting a 4 irons way left. I have always played Nike but I am starting to dislike the direction of there clubs making cavity back drivers and volt color way. I was a huge fan of the black and red victory red and the classic look of their irons. I like the covert forged 2.0 cause imho it's the last of their classic looking clubs.

I go to the range everyday at lunch time and hit a bucket. Hitting with the speedblades gets boring cause they are cast and every shot feels the same. I use to have the pro combo cb's and it made going to the range a blast cause it was challenging learning to hit players irons but I would pay for it if I wasn't striking it well. Getting the forged 2.0's have been making the range fun again and is helping me know when I mishit the clubs.

I have the 2.0 driver and I am not sure if it will stay in the bag. Just got the aero burner and I hit 7 outa 8 fairways last week. I was amazed it was longer and more forgiving however all the reviews say how forgiving the covert driver is.

Cheers for that.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Just purchased a brand new set off ebay for $372 shipped. Figure if the stock Nippon shaft is no good, I can try something else, feedback of the stock shaft?

Not a big $risk for a solid iron.

Thanks

I just picked up a set of these about a month ago and have about 5 rounds on them with the stock 950 shafts. I am hitting them really high, insanely high. I may go get fitted for a different shaft soon. But the clubs feel amazing and I adapted to them rather quickly even hitting them so high. Would a heavier shaft help the ball flight some? Or would flex have more to do with that?

Just purchased a brand new set off ebay for $372 shipped. Figure if the stock Nippon shaft is no good, I can try something else, feedback of the stock shaft?

Thanks

I just picked up a set of these about a month ago and have about 5 rounds on them with the stock 950 shafts. I am hitting them really high, insanely high. I may go get fitted for a different shaft soon. But the clubs feel amazing and I adapted to them rather quickly even hitting them so high. Would a heavier shaft help the ball flight some? Or would flex have more to do with that?

How much distance have you lost because of the high flight?

Thanks

How much distance have you lost because of the high flight?

When I was playing them I lost about a club. They did go insanely high with that stock shaft.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Hybrid: Titleist 818H 21°

Irons: Titleist T150 5-PW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 F-Grind 50° S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Ping Oslo 3

• 1 month later...

I'm currently gaming these and am thinking of switching to the Vapor Pro combos. Might have an opportunity at a great price for em. Has anyone made this switch and if so, thoughts? I'm mainly worried about the difference in shaft weight as my CF's are in the lightweight nippon 950gh stiff and the VPC's are in the DGS300

I'm currently gaming these and am thinking of switching to the Vapor Pro combos. Might have an opportunity at a great price for em. Has anyone made this switch and if so, thoughts? I'm mainly worried about the difference in shaft weight as my CF's are in the lightweight nippon 950gh stiff and the VPC's are in the DGS300

I switched from the Covert Forged to the VPC about a year ago. The VPC are easier to work the ball with, but didn't feel quite as good to me as the Covert Forged. If I had to do it all over again I would have saved myself the $1000 and just stuck with the Covert Forged.

The Covert Forged are one of my all time favorite irons and I never plan on getting rid of them; I would probably end up regretting it later on. They are packaged up in my garage and I'll probably go back to them one day.

Edit: To answer your shaft question, I always thought the stock Nippon 950 shafts were too light, but if you decide to buy the VPC irons and don't like the shafts in those, just swap shafts.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway Rogue 17°, 21°
Mizuno Pro 225 (4-GW)
Bettinardi H2 54°, 58° Wedges
Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V1

I made that very switch in April however I chose to upgrade the VPC shafts to Modus 120s. I haven't looked back. The ball flight of the VPCs with the shafts are precisely what I wanted. I picked up a half club/club of distance throughout the bag and I don't feel like I lost much forgiveness. However, when I had the previous VR Forged Pro Combos with the stock DGS300 those shafts did not work out.

My recommendation is only make the switch if those shafts fit you.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Hybrid: Titleist 818H 21°

Irons: Titleist T150 5-PW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 F-Grind 50° S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Ping Oslo 3

I switched from the Covert Forged to the VPC about a year ago. The VPC are easier to work the ball with, but didn't feel quite as good to me as the Covert Forged. If I had to do it all over again I would have saved myself the $1000 and just stuck with the Covert Forged.

The Covert Forged are one of my all time favorite irons and I never plan on getting rid of them; I would probably end up regretting it later on. They are packaged up in my garage and I'll probably go back to them one day.

Edit: To answer your shaft question, I always thought the stock Nippon 950 shafts were too light, but if you decide to buy the VPC irons and don't like the shafts in those, just swap shafts.

I found the nippon 950 shafts too light at the beginning (compared to a Callaway SGI set I had) but eventually got used to it. Now... every single shaft I try is too heavy since I've become accustomed to this super light shaft!

Thanks for the recommendations guys, guess I'll stick with the VRS CF's for now!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Can anyone comment on the amount of offset relative to, say the AP2 or 2014 Nike Pro Combos? I can't find this club anywhere within 1 1/2 hrs. from me. I may purchase blind, but the offset (suspected amount of) is holding me up right now.

Thanks in advance.

all of the offset info your requesting is on the respective websites...

AP2

Covert Forged

Pro Combo

I just spent an hour trying to find these specs. One of the reasons why i love golfwrx so much...you can always find others that are thinking the same as you. I just acquired a new CF 5iron at 25 degrees, and my VR Pro Combo 6 iron is at 31 degrees. Does it make sense to bend by CF 5iron to 26 or 27?

PXG Gen6 0311XF*
Honma 747FW 15

Honma 747UT 19*, 22*

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW
TM MG4 54*
TM MG4 59*
TM Spider Tour Red

Can anyone comment on the amount of offset relative to, say the AP2 or 2014 Nike Pro Combos? I can't find this club anywhere within 1 1/2 hrs. from me. I may purchase blind, but the offset (suspected amount of) is holding me up right now.

Thanks in advance.

AP2

Covert Forged

Pro Combo

I just spent an hour trying to find these specs. One of the reasons why i love golfwrx so much...you can always find others that are thinking the same as you. I just acquired a new CF 5iron at 25 degrees, and my VR Pro Combo 6 iron is at 31 degrees. Does it make sense to bend by CF 5iron to 26 or 27?

A degree or 2 at most would be fine but that much bend isn't doable.

Thanks in advance.

AP2

Covert Forged

Pro Combo

Are you playing a combo of these two sets? Do they have the same shafts as well?

I have been lurking in this thread for awhile. Glad you brought it back. I just got a set of VPCs on clearance from nike.com for $375 and I'm planning on getting a set of the Covert Forged as well before spring rolls around. Prob going to keep the VPCs in the box and game the Coverts. I'm coming from Cobra Amp Cell Pros and wanted something more forgiving.

Thanks in advance.

AP2

Covert Forged

Pro Combo

Are you playing a combo of these two sets? Do they have the same shafts as well?

I talked to a fitter who basically confirmed i'm not making the *best* decision with this...but yeah, i'm playing a 4 and now a 5 iron of the Covert Forged 2.0, and 6-PW is VR Pro Combo. I very much realize how different the nippon NS950 shaft is to the TT DG S300 - but honestly I have so much more confidence with my 4 and 4 iron because it feels like i'm swinging a hybrid club. I've never in my life hit a 4 iron better than I do with my CF with the nippon.

To recap, i'm playing a Covert Forged 4 and 5 iron at 22* and 25* respectively, with the Nippon NS950 shaft, then I go to a VR PC at 6-iron at 31* with the S300 shafts. Fitter (Golf Etc. Morristown, NJ) says I really should be playing the same shaft throughout. My original question was if I should have the 25* CF bent to 26 or 27 to "close the gap" and he was like "eh, we could do that for you, but it's just not ideal to do what you're doing." Which I totally get, but reluctant to drop $$$ right now to revamp the bag, and prefer the forgiveness of the CF with the lighter shaft (higher kick), and heavier short irons.

PXG Gen6 0311XF*
Honma 747FW 15

Honma 747UT 19*, 22*

TM MG4 54*
TM MG4 59*
TM Spider Tour Red

Bag both 6 irons. With the loft gapping, the 4 and 5 I ins are basically weak 3 and 4 irons. Bag the CF 6 iron to play as a 5 iron and then roll into new set.

May have to drop a fairway or wedge though.

Thanks, I only have the CF 4 & 5 though. I have the PC 3-PW, so basically I should bag the 5 and 5

PXG Gen6 0311XF*
Honma 747FW 15

Honma 747UT 19*, 22*

TM MG4 54*
TM MG4 59*
TM Spider Tour Red