What the Pros Use on the Range

Playing and being able to produce consistent contact allows me to know my yardages with each iron to within 5 yards. That's plenty good enough for me in knowing what club I need to hit from any yardage to give me the best chance to hit the green and even the specific portion of the green I am aiming for (short or long of the pin). Using provs on the range would be more of a luxury than necessity for my game to improve. The range is where I work on swing flaws and having a better ball wouldn't really help my long game that much. Pitching, chipping, and putting is another story so I keep a shag bag with old provs and it helps in those areas.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started gaming yellow Srixon range balls last season so that I warmed up with the same balls I played with, got a bulk deal from the rep.

Worked really well, I am planning on turning pro next week and playing the MENA Tour, my score average since I switched is 67.24.

[size=1]Disclaimer - some or all of the above may be absolutely fabricated[/size]

A few times I was lucky enough to visit ranges when brand new balls were introduced, normally at the beginning of season, and one time during summer. The sound and feel was super crisp and delicious. Tactilely and aurally my senses told me i was killing the ball like i never had. Unfortunately, my senses lied and my distances were only a little longer, and i still mishit at the same frequency using beat up balls. My shanks sounded very pure and unshank-like. To use a politically incorrect cliche, it's the Indian, not the arrow, or in this case, not the arrowhead.

[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1394518262' post='8845709']
When the pros were college golfers and amateurs, hitting range rocks didn't seem to hinder their games at all. Use the ball you game on the putting green and maybe chipping. It won't make any difference playing tour balls on the range for full swings besides being a bit easier on your clubs.
[/quote]

BINGO! These guys were already tour pros before getting the white glove range service.

Your whole argument is essentially "If we had what the pros had it would greatly benefit us". I completely agree...if we had their time and money my game would be so much better. Using a new ball on the range probably rates dead last on the list of "if i had what they had" to improve my game.

Callaway Razr Fit 9.5 (AD DI 7S)
Callaway Razr Fit 15 (Diamana BB)
Callaway Razr X HL 21 (Diamana D+)
Callaway '13 X-Forged 4-PW (C-Taper)
Callaway Forged 52-56-60
SC Studio Select Newport 2

I found out yesterday the difference between a range ball and a ProV1x first hand. In my warm up bucket, there were 2 ProV1x's that looked new. The range is wedged between 1 and 9 and some slices find their way to the edges of the range and the ball picker will get them. Anyhow, the regular range balls launched lower, dropped out of the sky quickly. Then hit a ProV1x with my driver. Higher launch and much more carry. Huge difference between a standard range ball and a tour ball. I wish my club could afford tour balls on the range. I've been to clubs that have tour balls on the range and makes your practice/warm-up much better.

[quote name='JWUgolf335' timestamp='1394504935' post='8844545']
[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1394504757' post='8844519']
How do you explain all the junior, high school, collegiate golfers that could still kick your butt?
[/quote]

I am a college golfer so I know about kicking butt, I'm just saying it would be cool to use my ball during all parts of my practice not just short game
[/quote]

Using them pearls on the range for your long game ain't gonna lower that "4" from your signature.

I remember my dad kicking my a** in putt putt with an orange ball so many times that I insisted on using the orange ball. Guess what happened? He beat my a** with a yellow ball. It ain't the arrow, it's the indian.

In search of solid contact...

Serious question: does anyone know if the standard Wilson Range ball (or whatever brand) is actually a consistent percentage shorter than a regular ball? Ten percent, 20%? Or are they simply the equivalent to the lowest cost ball available.

I'm always interested in this, as instruction tells us to measure our wedges, and our irons to know our distances. With a range finder, that's possible, but most folks don't have a range we can walk out onto to retrieve our game balls. So we're left with range balls.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

[quote name='hankmoody' timestamp='1394559615' post='8848425']
Serious question: does anyone know if the standard Wilson Range ball (or whatever brand) is actually a consistent percentage shorter than a regular ball? Ten percent, 20%? Or are they simply the equivalent to the lowest cost ball available.

I'm always interested in this, as instruction tells us to measure our wedges, and our irons to know our distances. With a range finder, that's possible, but most folks don't have a range we can walk out onto to retrieve our game balls. So we're left with range balls.
[/quote]

Anytime you mass produce balls like they do for the range performance is going to suffer. I'm assuming that they don't put as much effort into the range ball as the one that they use on the the range. A brand new range ball is most likely similar to a ball played on the course but after hundreds and even thousands of shots on them the performance is not even close.

[quote name='JWUgolf335' timestamp='1394562924' post='8848803']

[/quote]

Anytime you mass produce balls like they do for the range performance is going to suffer. I'm assuming that they don't put as much effort into the range ball as the one that they use on the the range. A brand new range ball is most likely similar to a ball played on the course but after hundreds and even thousands of shots on them the performance is not even close.
[/quote] For all of the Pro V1's you can find in the woods at any random course you'd have to agree that they mass produce all golf balls, not just range balls. No one makes "boutique" golf balls. Is Will People's selling "Tour Only" golf balls now?

I bought some balls on sale that were different than my regular cheap purchase. Took me 2 months (about 4 rounds) to figure out why a drive that felt like 270 was only 240. Due to the shorter distance I couldn't lose them either. Still have 30 or so new it the box. Range balls may be worse, or I have heard others claim some range balls go farther but would never hold a green.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

[quote name='Lefty Light HItter' timestamp='1394571335' post='8849961']

[/quote]

[/quote] For all of the Pro V1's you can find in the woods at any random course you'd have to agree that they mass produce all golf balls, not just range balls. No one makes "boutique" golf balls. Is Will People's selling "Tour Only" golf balls now?
[/quote]
You honestly think they put as much technology into a range ball as a PROV1. Dude you are nuts. They sell range balls for pennies because there is nothing to them but a hard cover and a core. Hit a prov1 into the range and then a crappy range ball and then tell me you don't see a difference or it is just your game

[/quote]

To figure out your distances, you could just measure your shots out on the course on quiet evening.

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

[quote name='Yrrdead' timestamp='1394504794' post='8844525']
Only recently did I start using my gamer for short game practice. I wasn't aware of places like lostgolfballs.com . Now that I am , it isn't prohibitively expensive to practice with the same ball.

Honestly until you are playing at a pretty high level it doesn't matter that much imo. You need to be hitting the sweet spot all the time and getting on your target before you start worrying about practice balls having different spin characteristics than your gamer. Of course I was playing a cheap ball for awhile (TF Gamer) so wasn't much different than a range ball :) .
[/quote]

Agree on both fronts.

When I've hit my preferred ball on the course for a round and haven't lost it, I will put it to one side and then use it for chipping practice. I will use brand new ones for putting though.

On the range I just use whatever I have in my shag bag. Will filter out the rubber ones and throw them. Any good ones I find go in golf bag.

[quote name='JWUgolf335' timestamp='1394574002' post='8850263']
[quote name='Lefty Light HItter' timestamp='1394571335' post='8849961']

[/quote]

[/quote]
You honestly think they put as much technology into a range ball as a PROV1. Dude you are nuts. They sell range balls for pennies because there is nothing to them but a hard cover and a core. Hit a prov1 into the range and then a crappy range ball and then tell me you don't see a difference or it is just your game
[/quote]

Read closer. You implied that premium balls were not mass produced. All golf balls are mass produced. Mass produced does not = bad quality in a product.

How do you explain all the junior, high school, collegiate golfers that could still kick your butt?
[/quote]

I am a college golfer so I know about kicking butt, I'm just saying it would be cool to use my ball during all parts of my practice not just short game
[/quote]

Finish college.join nice club. hit premium balls on the range to your hearts content. Profit.

[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1394626171' post='8854201']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Quit college.start some sort of social media start-up. sell to Mark Zuckerberg for billions. BUILD your own range at your compound. hit premium balls on YOUR range till your hearts content. #winning
[/quote] Corrected...

[quote name='Lefty Light HItter' timestamp='1394630700' post='8854553']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Quit college.start some sort of social media start-up. sell to Mark Zuckerberg for billions. BUILD your own range at your compound. hit premium balls on YOUR range till your hearts content. #winning
[/quote] Corrected...
[/quote] Is there a reason you are being so negative towards me in this post. If you have nothing productive to say about the post please don't leave a comment

[quote name='JWUgolf335' timestamp='1394638269' post='8855505']
[quote name='Lefty Light HItter' timestamp='1394630700' post='8854553']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] Corrected...
[/quote] Is there a reason you are being so negative towards me in this post. If you have nothing productive to say about the post please don't leave a comment
[/quote]

There is no intent on being "negative" towards you in the sense that I do not like you or I am trying to belittle you. I don't agree with your opinions, but that is life. Regarding the specific post you replied to, it was a joke that wasn't meant towards you at all. If I could start my own business and sell if to Facebook I'd surely build my own range and I sure would have Pro V1's on it just because I could!

Regarding your thoughts about improving your game tenfold by hitting premium balls on the range I don't agree with you. I'm sure we can find other things that we agree on, but this isn't one of them.

Regarding me correcting clarifying that all golf balls are mass produced, well, that is just fact. There are Titleist commercials showing Pro V1's by the hundreds being poured in molds.

Do I think that you should use a game ready ball when practicing anything that has to do with a green or going out and checking your distances? Yes I do. Does that include working on your 3 wood from 250yds to see if it will stick or run off the green, no. Why? Neither one of us are losing strokes because our 3 woods aren't holding greens that couldn't be made up by hitting more GIR's or getting up and down more for par.

Do I think that the pro golfers are playing a ball that is so superior than the one that I can buy for $40/$50 at Golfsmith? No I don't. IF that is true I'll go back to my previous statement that most, if not all who are posting here are not in a position ability wise where that this ball would make a difference to them. I am not demeaning anyone (including myself who as you can see has a higher handicap than yours), but speaking my opinion based on what I know.

I am happy that you had a good time at Doral and got to see stuff up close and I can tell you are excited. I just don't agree that a ball can make a handicapped player much, if any better.

Have a good one,

Mike

It's funny to hear amateurs say, only if this or only if that. If I played firm, tightly mown fairways like the pros, only if I had all custom fit equipment like the pros, only if the greens I played were perfect like the tour courses, only if I had a caddy. They are on the tour because they are good. They could beat you having practiced with prov1s or wiffle balls.

I'm just surprised im hearing this from a low handicapped collegiate golfer.

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1394643140' post='8856145']
It's funny to hear amateurs say, only if this or only if that. If I played firm, tightly mown fairways like the pros, only if I had all custom fit equipment like the pros, only if the greens I played were perfect like the tour courses, only if I had a caddy. They are on the tour because they are good. They could beat you having practiced with prov1s or wiffle balls.

I'm just surprised im hearing this from a low handicapped collegiate golfer.
[/quote]
You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. All I stated was that it would be cool to practice with the ball I play with like tour pros get to. I don't understand how people can attack me for saying that I think it would help. I'm not complaining at all simply stated I would like to do it.

[quote name='JWUgolf335' timestamp='1394557090' post='8848159']
Keep in mind that there are many things I would want before tour balls on the range but I just wanted to know if people thought it would make a difference in their game
[/quote]

Wouldn't make a lick of difference for my game, but sure would be nice to hit real balls on the range. I've hit range balls and real balls back to back on the range. The latter go much further with consistent and true flight. When hitting balls at the range, I really pay attention to flight. Its tough with range balls since some go high, some go low, and some can fade/draw all on the same shot. lol

[quote name='Lefty Light HItter' timestamp='1394558947' post='8848327']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Using them pearls on the range for your long game ain't gonna lower that "4" from your signature.

I remember my dad kicking my a** in putt putt with an orange ball so many times that I insisted on using the orange ball. Guess what happened? He beat my a** with a yellow ball. It ain't the arrow, it's the indian.
[/quote]

yeah, 4's don't know THAT much about kicking butt… and people who do, don't have to let everyone else know.

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5 Diamana D+ 62s
Adams Speedline 9032ti HyFW 14.5* Aldila VooDoo SNV7s
Adams Speedline Fast 10 18* Wasabi 70s
Mizuno MP-20 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 56*M
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 60*M
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1394645892' post='8856423']
[quote name='JWUgolf335' timestamp='1394557090' post='8848159']
Keep in mind that there are many things I would want before tour balls on the range but I just wanted to know if people thought it would make a difference in their game
[/quote]

Wouldn't make a lick of difference for my game, but sure would be nice to hit real balls on the range. I've hit range balls and real balls back to back on the range. The latter go much further with consistent and true flight. When hitting balls at the range, I really pay attention to flight. Its tough with range balls since some go high, some go low, and some can fade/draw all on the same shot. lol
[/quote]
That is exactly why I made this post. Nothing is consistent with range balls. Its hard to get serious practice in when the exact same shot can do two different things

[quote name='alange_underpar' timestamp='1394646377' post='8856481']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah, 4's don't know THAT much about kicking butt… and people who do, don't have to let everyone else know.
[/quote]
whats your handicap

[quote name='JWUgolf335' timestamp='1394646946' post='8856537']
[quote name='alange_underpar' timestamp='1394646377' post='8856481']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
whats your handicap
[/quote]

Well, first off, I see since reading my comment 10 minutes ago you manage to shave 2 off your handicap… and I'd still be giving you strokes...

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5 Diamana D+ 62s
Adams Speedline 9032ti HyFW 14.5* Aldila VooDoo SNV7s
Adams Speedline Fast 10 18* Wasabi 70s
Mizuno MP-20 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 56*M
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 60*M
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro V1