2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2014 Arnold Palmer Invitational....March 17th - 23rd

kemau

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1395622241' post='8934729']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1395621966' post='8934675']
[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1395620953' post='8934515']
has bc chimed in to rip adam and his swing coach yet?
[/quote]

Didn't see one moment of today's round. Was it his swing that let him down today?
[/quote]that and his putting. Goodness, his putting. Just turrible.
[/quote]

[url="http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/10658961/adam-scott-let-win-no-1-slip-away-arnold-palmer-invitational-golf"]Bob Harig - March 23, 2014[/url]

"With a chance to go to No. 1 in the world in his sights, with a solid victory at a prestigious tournament to put on his resume as his Masters defense looms, Scott stumbled in a bad way Sunday.

There's no other way to put it, but Scott doesn't deserve the No. 1 ranking playing as he did during the final of the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

Matt Every is a fine player, and his first PGA Tour victory will earn him a spot alongside Scott on the practice range at Augusta National in two weeks. But Every, nor Keegan Bradley, nor Jason Kokrak, had any business beating Scott over the closing 18 holes.

A player who strives to be No. 1, who yearns to add significant victories to his win total, who talks openly about capturing more tournaments and closing out the ones in which he has an opportunity, gets it done Sunday.

Scott did not.

"I'm annoyed that I didn't do better today," Scott admitted after shooting a closing 4-over-par 76 that included just one birdie. "Sometimes you've got to be hard on yourself, sometimes you don't.

But Scott, who has often been at the forefront of the anchored putting debate, putted poorly over the weekend. His struggles on the greens offered further proof that the anchored stroke -- which will be banned on Jan. 1, 2016 -- is not a cure for putting maladies.

[b]Frankly, it's hard to imagine Scott putting any worse with any method. He took 32 putts on Sunday after needing 31 on Saturday. "The putts I had to make today ... they were too close," he said. "I was making long putts Thursday and Friday. I read the greens a little poorly, I must say. You need confidence in that, too, and after missing a couple over the last couple of days, doubts creep into your reads. You need to be certain. And I just wasn't 100 percent on." [color=#ff0000]** unreal!! **[/color][/b]

There was no better example than at the par-5 16th, where Every provided an opening after making a bogey on an easy hole. With Every's lead cut to 2, Scott hit his approach 20 feet behind the hole, and had an eagle putt to tie. He ran that 4 feet by and missed the birdie. After finding a bunker at the 17th, he missed the 7-footer for par.

There were numerous examples, but those two ended up being the difference."

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They all had good and bad shots today, and they all seemed to struggle a little because the greens got fast and firm, and the wind was swirling for a good portion of the day. No one really went out there and took it, they all choked coming in imo.

AS and KB had horrible starts, like worst case scenario type starts, and it set the tone for the day. AS missed a lot of putts, and was also off with his irons too with double crosses and pulls. He kept playing for a draw and would push cut or pull the ball. He was just off today all around. At least KB recovered and starting charging, and that shot he hit on the par 5 6th was one of the best shots I've seen for the week on that hole. He was grinding hard for the win, but just lost too much ground early on.

It's not like Every wasn't choking his brains out too. He was playing really solid, but got some nice breaks. He was trying to relax all he could, talking about march madness and anything else he could distract himself with. His finish was shaky but he got it done. Congrats to the winner.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

my take:

1) as someone earlier mentioned Adam Scott was trying too hard to be no.1.

2) the long putter isn't as good as some believe..

3) Steve Williams isn't as good as some believe..

4) he choked!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1395625856' post='8935267']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1395622241' post='8934729']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1395621966' post='8934675']
[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1395620953' post='8934515']
has bc chimed in to rip adam and his swing coach yet?
[/quote]

Didn't see one moment of today's round. Was it his swing that let him down today?
[/quote]that and his putting. Goodness, his putting. Just turrible.
[/quote]

[url="http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/10658961/adam-scott-let-win-no-1-slip-away-arnold-palmer-invitational-golf"]Bob Harig - March 23, 2014[/url]

"With a chance to go to No. 1 in the world in his sights, with a solid victory at a prestigious tournament to put on his resume as his Masters defense looms, Scott stumbled in a bad way Sunday.

There's no other way to put it, but Scott doesn't deserve the No. 1 ranking playing as he did during the final of the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

Matt Every is a fine player, and his first PGA Tour victory will earn him a spot alongside Scott on the practice range at Augusta National in two weeks. But Every, nor Keegan Bradley, nor Jason Kokrak, had any business beating Scott over the closing 18 holes.

A player who strives to be No. 1, who yearns to add significant victories to his win total, who talks openly about capturing more tournaments and closing out the ones in which he has an opportunity, gets it done Sunday.

Scott did not.

"I'm annoyed that I didn't do better today," Scott admitted after shooting a closing 4-over-par 76 that included just one birdie. "Sometimes you've got to be hard on yourself, sometimes you don't.

But Scott, who has often been at the forefront of the anchored putting debate, putted poorly over the weekend. His struggles on the greens offered further proof that the anchored stroke -- which will be banned on Jan. 1, 2016 -- is not a cure for putting maladies.

[b]Frankly, it's hard to imagine Scott putting any worse with any method. He took 32 putts on Sunday after needing 31 on Saturday. "The putts I had to make today ... they were too close," he said. "I was making long putts Thursday and Friday. I read the greens a little poorly, I must say. You need confidence in that, too, and after missing a couple over the last couple of days, doubts creep into your reads. You need to be certain. And I just wasn't 100 percent on." [color=#ff0000]** unreal!! **[/color][/b]

There was no better example than at the par-5 16th, where Every provided an opening after making a bogey on an easy hole. With Every's lead cut to 2, Scott hit his approach 20 feet behind the hole, and had an eagle putt to tie. He ran that 4 feet by and missed the birdie. After finding a bunker at the 17th, he missed the 7-footer for par.

There were numerous examples, but those two ended up being the difference."
[/quote]
Ouch.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1395626241' post='8935323']
FLW nowhere to be found regarding stevie's loss
[/quote]
My friend is probably busy...Stevie looked very disappointed and angry though...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1395626617' post='8935375']
[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1395626241' post='8935323']
FLW nowhere to be found regarding stevie's loss
[/quote]

Stevie just isn't the same since he left Tiger. He never used to choke like this.
[/quote]

seriously would be VERY interesting for steve to compare the strengths and weaknesses of all the bags he's carried. your comment is spot on IMO.....he really isn't used to this

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1395623051' post='8934871']
Scott really struggled on the greens, but I'm happy to see Every get the win. I don't understand the labelling of Scott being a choker. Almost every top golfer has let tournaments slip from time to time, Adam is no exception.
[/quote]
So you didn't see the 2012 Open Championship then?

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1395627365' post='8935491']
[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1395623051' post='8934871']
Scott really struggled on the greens, but I'm happy to see Every get the win. I don't understand the labelling of Scott being a choker. Almost every top golfer has let tournaments slip from time to time, Adam is no exception.
[/quote]
So you didn't see the 2012 Open Championship then?
[/quote]

Caught yourself did ya? :taunt:

I am starting to think Scott is the modern day Norman. That was a sad performance for someone who supposedly is gunning for #1. You have got to hand it to Bradley on the last few holes. He showed he has some stones. He usually makes me uncomfortable watching him with all of his ticks. He could do well at Augusta. Not sure if he has the putting though.

Kind of telling that the two "anchored" guys messed up the last day.

before people jump all over AS, remember that he's also fighting the flu for cripes sakes. give the guy some slack already. he shot lights out on day 1, had a crappy start day 2 but caught fire again on the back for a decent round to get that lead. It's not like he wasn't grinding all weekend.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

I'sn't that what choking is? Folding like a Family Dollar chair when the pressure is on?

Dude choked. It happens and it happened at this tourney.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

[quote name='MBA-J' timestamp='1395629207' post='8935705']
I'sn't that what choking is? Folding like a Family Dollar chair when the pressure is on?
[/quote]

so if you shot your best score on thursday, and below average score on sunday, would you say you choked? that's just golf. if he shot 76 thursday and 62 on sunday, would he be a closer? and btw, the guy played with the flu if that matters. maybe he should have just WD with "allerges" instead of fighting his best for a 3rd.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1395628439' post='8935625']
before people jump all over AS, remember that he's also fighting the flu for cripes sakes. give the guy some slack already. he shot lights out on day 1, had a crappy start day 2 but caught fire again on the back for a decent round to get that lead. It's not like he wasn't grinding all weekend.
[/quote]

He wasn't feeling well Thursday or Friday when he built up his lead so you can't conveniently use that as an excuse for his poor play today. I agree labeling him a choker is harsh but certainly today was a let down. He didn't need his "A" game to secure the victory today, he really just needed to be mediocre. The good news for AS fans is that he has shown the ability to come back after disappointment.

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1395618131' post='8934207']
In this era, Sundays on the PGA Tour are generally sad to watch.

These guys are good.

At what?

It's the reason you can't discount Tiger's opportunity to dominate, when he's remotely close to his prior form. These are the bobbleheads he would be dealing with on Sunday: "Your turn to bogey." "No, it's mine!"

Number two in the world should be someone who belongs on an all time list, or nearby. In this era it's Adam Scott. Great guy and great swing. I remember when this forum couldn't wait to list him as most overrated player on the planet. Now he's near the top. That demonstrates the hurdle to get there isn't what it should be. He vaulted mediocrities.

Given the political bent of professional golf, right now there's desperate need for it to be applied by the setup committees. Unless it's a pitch and putt level course, this era simply can't handle Sunday pin placements. They should be shelved until the next wave of truly great players emerge. Otherwise, compassionate conservatism is required, to quietly switch to two sets of Saturday pin placements. There's nothing wrong with situational adjustment to protect the field and the reputation of the sport. Right now the hecklers too often are higher caliber than the contenders on Sunday. Johnny Miller provided the devastating specifics today, that the final 6 groups were a combined 27 over par. And that was early. I'm sure they continued their assault on bogey.

Anyway, there's always one guy who embraces sheer probability and doesn't completely collapse. This week's version is Matt Every. Congrats to him. He's now the second alum of Big Break to win on the PGA Tour, joining Tommy Gainey. Quite odd that Big Break has produced many more LPGA players than PGA, but none of them have managed to win.
[/quote]

+1. Its starting to look like which guy can avoid the trainwreck for 18 holes on sunday. I know I was one of the guys criticizing Reed but you have to give him credit by showing how to get it done on a Sunday. I would rank Rory's recent blowing a Sunday lead worse than Scotty b/c the shot he pulled off in regulation on the 18th at the honda with a chance to win outright. And that we have seen Rory pull off amazing final Sunday rounds in the past (Quail Hollow Championship a few years ago is a great example) If anything, Scotty should've walked away with this thing b/c of his play on fri and thurs. Stevie had that same look on his face like he had at the Open Championship Scotty blew a couple of years ago.

Maybe next time, Adam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RtlpXsl8k

I was rooting for him or Keegan.

But congrats to Matt Every.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

[quote name='PhilsFanDrew' timestamp='1395630884' post='8935847']
[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1395628439' post='8935625']
[/quote]

He wasn't feeling well Thursday or Friday when he built up his lead so you can't conveniently use that as an excuse for his poor play today. I agree labeling him a choker is harsh but certainly today was a let down. He didn't need his "A" game to secure the victory today, he really just needed to be mediocre. The good news for AS fans is that he has shown the ability to come back after disappointment.
[/quote]

I think when you're sick, you lose some edge from overall fatigue the longer the tournament. I saw a few shots today come up short for him, drives and irons, and you have to think that was a factor. It's one thing to nut up for one day when you don't feel well, but after 4 days of high pressure golf, fatigue will become a factor. [size=4]Every day was worse, and his putting was absolutely horrible on Sunday.[/size]

[url="http://espn.go.com/golf/players/scorecard?playerId=388&tournamentId=1314"]http://espn.go.com/g...urnamentId=1314[/url]

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[quote name='tgtaggie' timestamp='1395631858' post='8935927']
I know I was one of the guys criticizing Reed but you have to give him credit by showing how to get it done on a Sunday.[/quote]

Remember, Patrick was the guy who shot 63-63-63 at the Humana Challenge this year to take a seven stroke lead into the final round. He shot 71 on Sunday and won by two.

Patrick also shot a 77 in today's final round at Bay Hill to turn a potential top ten into a 52nd place finish. Sometimes you have it, and sometimes you don't.

[quote name='PGArox' timestamp='1395633478' post='8936099']
I know I was one of the guys criticizing Reed but you have to give him credit by showing how to get it done on a Sunday.[/quote]

Remember, Patrick was the guy who shot 63-63-63 at the Humana Challenge this year to take a seven stroke lead into the final round. He shot 71 on Sunday and won by two.

Patrick also shot a 77 in today's final round at Bay Hill to turn a potential top ten into a 52nd place finish. Sometimes you have it, and sometimes you don't.
[/quote]

exactly. people forget that pros have the same thing as ams... some days you just don't have it, for whatever reason.

BTW, the condtions sunday were very different than the rest of the week. the greens got way harder and faster and hard to hold, and the wind was swirling like crazy. the conditions were much more difficult.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

Adam Scott just chose a bad day to go ice cold with his putter. As bad as he played today all he had to do was make the short putts inside 10 ft on 16 and 17 to be in a playoff. His ball striking was good enough but putter just let him down. Just didnt make any birdies today and I don't think he even made a putt outside 10 ft today.

[quote name='PGArox' timestamp='1395633478' post='8936099']

[/quote]

Id hate to stir the pot, but since the announcer's 16th hole banter and special cut scene to Patrick Reed's statement.... do you think his statement was still a little premature and his performance this weekend kinda back fired in his face? 52nd after a win is no where in top 5 territory in my opinion? AS choked but still saved for a top 3 finish..... Reid went from top 10 to 52nd just saying....

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1395630094' post='8935785']
[/quote]

so if you shot your best score on thursday, and below average score on sunday, would you say you choked? that's just golf. if he shot 76 thursday and 62 on sunday, would he be a closer? and btw, the guy played with the flu if that matters. maybe he should have just WD with "allerges" instead of fighting his best for a 3rd.
[/quote]

If I had leads of 4, then 7, then 2, and then LOST, I most certainly choked! If he had the lead after the 3rd round and won, then yes: he's a closer! It's not that complicated man.

I can tell from your posts that you are a big Adam Scott fan. I'm sorry your guy got consumed by the pressure of winning and being recognized as the best player in the world! It is what it is. He choked away the British Open and he choked this tournament away as well.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

[quote name='MBA-J' timestamp='1395636882' post='8936375']
[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1395630094' post='8935785']
[/quote]

[/quote]

If I had leads of 4, then 7, then 2, and then LOST, I most certainly choked! If he had the lead after the 3rd round and won, then yes: he's a closer! It's not that complicated man.

I can tell from your posts that you are a big Adam Scott fan. I'm sorry your guy got consumed by the pressure of winning and being recognized as the best player in the world! It is what it is. He choked away the British Open and he choked this tournament away as well.
[/quote]

I guess as someone that has played in tournaments, and for almost 25 years, i have a more realistic perspective. People are not machines, and they can't generate scores on command. Every day of golf is different, and SH!T happens. It's no different for pros than ams. Some days thursday is your best, some days sunday is your best. That's golf. If the last day of the event was Monday, AS could just as easily shoot 65 tomorrow instead of the crappy putt fest he just did Sunday. It's not a choking thing, it's a golf thing. You don't get to #2 in the world being a "choker".

There is a whole generation of golf fans, and maybe this includes you as well, that thinks people should do what Tiger has done earlier in his career. And I think that has happened because they really didn't witness much else in their short time in the game. What he did was a complete and total anomaly freak show that no one has every seen before. People consider Jack to be the best clutch player of all time, and do you know how many times he finished second or worse on Sunday?

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1395614768' post='8933797']
gawd its awful being an Ossa-tray-lian, yet another choke, i disown them all.
[/quote]

There's still Karrie Webb. She has this strange habit of winning tournaments.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

[quote name='Singapore Joe' timestamp='1395637926' post='8936425']
[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1395614768' post='8933797']
gawd its awful being an Ossa-tray-lian, yet another choke, i disown them all.
[/quote]

There's still Karrie Webb. She has this strange habit of winning tournaments.
[/quote]

What a GREAT round she put together today. My headline: The Librarian gets Schooled by the Scholar. :-)

[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1395627997' post='8935581']
I am starting to think Scott is the modern day Norman. That was a sad performance for someone who supposedly is gunning for #1. You have got to hand it to Bradley on the last few holes. He showed he has some stones. He usually makes me uncomfortable watching him with all of his ticks. He could do well at Augusta. Not sure if he has the putting though.

Kind of telling that the two "anchored" guys messed up the last day.
[/quote]
If you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas. Greg has passed on the choking baton to his protege. You would think getting that monkey off his back last year would have fixed him but he has come back a bigger and better choker than ever.

[quote name='axer13' timestamp='1395636798' post='8936367']
Adam Scott just chose a bad day to go ice cold with his putter. As bad as he played today all he had to do was make the short putts inside 10 ft on 16 and 17 to be in a playoff. His ball striking was good enough but putter just let him down. Just didnt make any birdies today and I don't think he even made a putt outside 10 ft today.
[/quote]
So the fact he 'chose' to do it on Sunday with everything on the line is not related? The dude choked like a dog on a chicken bone. Can't be explained away as a cold putter.