2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The $5000 TaylorMade SLDR Guarantee - 20 GolfWRXers. 4 Locations. Details here!

[list]
[*]Handicap: 15
[*]Location: Atlanta, GA
[*][color="#282828"]Reason why you should attend: I was pumped about the SLDR when it came out. When I did a fitting it came out worse than my current gamer. I was bummed to have fallen for "marketing hype". Before hitting it I had convinced myself the SLDR was "the one" and was ready to buy that day. I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything and have considered fitting a JetSpeed or SLDR again but have a nagging feeling like I'm wasting my time. All the marketing says my old driver doesn't have the tech to go as far as the new ones. I want it to see it!![/color]
[*]Current driver set-up: TaylorMade Burner 2007, 10.5* stiff
[/list]

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 9.4[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Kingsburg, CA[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: I demoed the SLDR when it first came out, I couldn't get it 15 feet off the ground. I figured it just wasn't the driver for me. I'd enjoy the opportunity to "loft up" and try it again.[/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: R1 Oban Devotion stiff[/size]
[/list]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 10.4
[*]Location: Sawgrass
[*]Reason: While I have enjoyed many of TaylorMades products in the past, it has been harder to believe that much of this technology is as great as advertised. Maybe it's just being a WRXer that has made me so cynical about the marketing of the concept, but I would certainly enjoy the challenge of comparing the numbers.
[*]Current Setup: Titleist 909D3 9.5*, VooDoo Stiff, Std length, four wraps of tape under my GP NDMC rnd.
[/list]

[list]
[*]Handicap: 13
[*]Location: Atlanta, GA
[*][color=#282828]Reason why you should attend: Driver has been the worst club in my bag for as long as can remember! I suspect because I've never found the right setup. I hit my 3-wood as far so I rarely pull it out of the bag. I know there's gotta be a driver out there that gives me the same effortless feel and smash but, gives me the extra 20 yds. I deserve. Heck, I've even resorted to teeing off with 3 wood from my knees when it got really bad![/color]
[*]Current driver set-up: Callaway FT-9 w/Aldila NVS 65 44.5in.
[/list]

[size=4][b][u]Handicap:[/u][/b] 5.4[/size]

[size=4][b][u]Location:[/u][/b] Buffalo, NY[/size]

[size=4][u][b]Reason why you should attend:[/b][/u] I tested and tweaked the SLDR against my current driver on two different occasions and found it 8-10 yards shorter than my current setup with similar launch and spin numbers. Granted this was in a Golf Galaxy simulator so the accuracy may not have been very good. The combo I have now took a full year of tweaking, testing, re-tweaking with 5 different shafts, and gaming to end up at. I have always had a lower launch with higher spin numbers so there was high hope for the SLDR, but it disappointed. My birthday is also April 5th and it would be a sweet present. :)[/size]

[u][b][size=4]Current driver set-up: [/size][/b][/u][size=4]Taylormade R1, 10*, 1* closed, 10g weight in heel, Matrix Ozik 7M3 x-stiff, 45"[/size]

[quote name='stribs' timestamp='1395685511' post='8940181']
[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1395682840' post='8939789']
OK guys, 20 invites sent. They've been filling up. If there are some that can't make it, we'll comb the thread for alternates. Thanks to everyone who entered.
[/quote]

What was the selection criteria if you don't mind me asking?
[/quote]

All explained in post #1. And a little luck. Man I really wanted this one!! Oh well congrats to the lucky 20!!

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1395689073' post='8940663']
[quote name='stribs' timestamp='1395685511' post='8940181']
OK guys, 20 invites sent. They've been filling up. If there are some that can't make it, we'll comb the thread for alternates. Thanks to everyone who entered.
[/quote]

What was the selection criteria if you don't mind me asking?
[/quote]

All explained in post #1. And a little luck. Man I really wanted this one!! Oh well congrats to the lucky 20!!
[/quote]

Man, I thought my post was legit! I researched Day's, Johnson's, and Garcia's driver swing statistics from the last three years and explained how the SLDR is a total flop...I even posted their numbers for the GolfWrx community to see.

Must have not been enough...oh well.

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: 14[/size]
[*][size=4]Location: Williamsport, PA[/size]
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: Actually, I am tired of Taylormade and all their hype about why their products are the longest/most accurate/best out there. I mean c'mon, we hear it every 3 months. Should be interesting to see if they actually made something that lives up to the hype.....finally [/size]
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: Nike VRS Covert 10.5, Kuro Kage Stiff shaft[/size]
[/list]
[size=4]Thanks![/size]

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: +3.1[/size]
[*][size=4]Location:[/size] Dallas, Texas
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: [/size]Because nothing will be able to come close to the big bertha alpha low spin that I have now
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: Big Bertha Alpha 9 degree with Matrix F7M3 XX Stiff[/size]
[/list]

I have confirmed. Waiting on more details. I am pumped for it... But more so just to meet some other Wrx's. After all, Taylormade isn't exactly the top of my list when it comes to equipment manufacturers. I'm going to get my current driver spec'd tomorrow and make sure she is all dialed in for the "showdown"

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Handicap: 8.3
Reason why you should attend: I've never believed in the hype surrounding TM drivers, but don't mind being proven wrong!
Current driver set-up: Titleist 913D2, GD Tour AD DI6 Stiff.

**WITB** **Driver**: Titleist TS2 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Elite Orange S **3 Wood**: Adams Idea XTD 15* Super S Hybrid w/ Fubuki AX350 S **Utility**: Titleist 818H2 19* and 23* w/ Fujikura Motore TS HB 8.8 **5-PW**: Titleist AP3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lites **WEDGES**: Titleist Vokey SM7 52* and 56* **PUTTER**: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 w/ Superstroke

[list]
[*][size=4]Handicap: [/size]15
[*][size=4]Location:[/size] Las Vegas
[*][size=4]Reason why you should attend: [/size]Lets see.... FIrst, R11, R11s, R1, Sldr within 3 years? Sure looks to me like it is just another model on the TM conveyor belt. Second, the SpeedBlade 6 Iron you sent me flies no higher, and is slightly shorter overall than my Diablo forged 6 iron. So I have a hard time beliving that this cool aid is anthing more than marketing. Third, I'll bet that if you put the same shaft in my current driver as the SLDR you would have the same result, as the SpeedBlade, shorter.
[*][size=4]Current driver set-up: Cobra Amp cell 9.5 Fujikura Fuel XS. BTW when I compared it on a luanch monitor, it had better numbers launch angle, spin and distance than the R1 which is why I game it. [/size]
[/list]

Handicap - 7/8 Fluxuates
Location - Boise, ID
Why I should attend - I have said from the beginning.... The SLDR is never an option for anyone who can't get the most advanced screening and fitting available. I think the driver for that reason is a poor attempt at design. Creating a piece of equipment than no one can reasonably use without getting fit at places other than GS... GG.... Dicks... Is a horrible example to set. It just means they created something for Pros they are ramming down the public's throat. :)

Callaway OptiForce 440 w/ Fujikura Rombax 5wo6 @ 45"

9.5 Opti440 - Fujikura Rombax 5Wo6 X

Taylormade 17.9 4 wood - NVX (X)
Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

I've also accepted, I'm a Taylormade guy right now, but far from a fanboy and very disenchanted with getting my driver dialed in then seeing something new and "much better" than the club I just bought come out. I'm also not buying the marketing machine, I need proof. I have got the R1 set and ready to roll, I don't think they can beat their own product to be honest. I've been considering going back to Big Bertha or Ping and mentioned that a few times, so maybe TM thinks they can keep me from making that move. We shall see. They are putting their new, best driver ever, up against their last, only driver you will ever need, so they said. So I'm extremely excited to see what happens, and very appreciative of GolfWRX and TMag for the opportunity! Can't wait to meet some golf nuts like me!

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[/quote]

Looks like I'll still be gaming my TL310... it was inevitable anyways, I always go back to what works.. Congrats to those selected..

[list]
[*]Handicap: 13.2
[*]Location: Milwaukee, WI
[*][color="#282828"]Reason why you should attend: Because both my wife and I lost our jobs within the past 5 months and I need something good to believe in right now![/color]
[*]Current driver set-up:TaylorMade R9 TP w/ Fubuki stiff flex
[/list]

I use golf clubs, 14 to be exact!  Mostly my putter though!

I really want to know what this wrinkle is going to be about. I can't even imagine what it will be

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Handicap: 0-2
Reason why: I have yet to hit a driver longer than my current set up. Friends that get all the new drivers still can't hit it past me. I just feel that because you put a little slider weight on the club it's not going to make a difference. It's just another way to sell clubs.
Current set up: taylormade rocketballz tour, Accra tour proto shaft

[size=4]A bit late, but why not...[/size]

[size=4]Handicap: 7[/size]
[size=4]Location: Alberta, Canada (any event location)[/size]
[size=4]Reason why you should attend: I've hit the SLDR a few times, and it doesn't compete with my current setup. Especially for the price. And I definitely feel that the marketing push towards 17* launch with 1700rpm is wrong for the majority of players who have 90-100mph swing speeds.[/size]
[size=4]Current driver set-up: Adams Super LS 9*, 45.25" House of Forged Express X-Stiff Shaft[/size]

Too bad I only just noticed this thread now. I'm not too much man to admit when I'm wrong, but Mark King's campaign to "grow" golf has me biased against TM. I'm currently using an ancient Quad and chucked my R11 into the Five Gallon Bucket of Shame (storage) in the garage.

I'm inclined to think that most drivers are too long and there's a distinct (marketing) reason all OEM drivers are comically long while the average tour pro uses a driver substantially shorter than the standard OEM sells to John Q. Public, who can't hit within 30 yards of a target 6 times out of 10.

Great free promo for TMAG, GolfWRX!

:lol:

Handicap: +1.8
Reason for me to attend: I use to game a 580 XD when I first started playing golf, and ever since I haven't found anything from TaylorMade to be better than the rest next to maybe say, R7 Superquad or R7 425 TP. The feeling and the look and overall shape never came to my eye as easily as the 580 ever did. After hitting the SLDR the other day at my club I work at, I realized that this is a driver of a new monster and I would love to be given the opportunity to relive my first days of golf and fall in love again with a proper fitting into a TM driver.
Current Gamer: Nike VRS Tour Covert 1.0, KuroKage silver 70X, tipped half an inch, 44.75 inches long.

Driver: Ping G400 LST LAGP Black Tie 60 X 
3 Wood: Titleist TS3 16.5* Diamana WhiteBoard 80 X 
DI: Callaway UT Forged 18* KBS Tour Prototype HB 95 S
Irons: Callaway Apex MB Raw (Tour Issue Wide Groove) 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110s Hardstepped
Wedges: Callaway MD4 52* 56* S Grind KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S | Nike VRS DS 60*(Hand Ground) Nippon Wedge 125 S
Putter: Bettinardi Short Kuchar Model