2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

SLDR Tour Spoon (TS) 14˚ vs. 15˚ 3WD - Feedback?

Pure745

Anyone hit both the "TS" 14˚ against the 15˚ "normal" 3 wood? Anyone prefer one over the other for specific reasons? Or is the difference simply loft?

Thanks!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pure, of all people why are you asking us? Get off your @$$ and put another shootout together!

Okay, just kidding, please carry on. I tried both indoors briefly I didn't see any significant difference other than loft/spin, but I'm not a high SS player, where I think the 1 deg (plus any potential adjustments) would come into play more.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1396289426' post='8987953']
Pure, of all people why are you asking us? Get off your @$$ and put another shootout together!

Okay, just kidding, please carry on. I tried both indoors briefly I didn't see any significant difference other than loft/spin, but I'm not a high SS player, where I think the 1 deg (plus any potential adjustments) would come into play more.
[/quote]

HAHA! I have the normal one, but the TS was intriguing me.. I'm about to go get it in an hour, but thought at least 30 people would have hit the two by now ;)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Tai, I went with the 15* as I found the 14* that little bit harder to elevate properly off the deck. Also, the distance gap between the 14* and my driver on good swings was closer than I would like (IOW the 14* would go uncomfortably far when squished). I've found the 15* to offer the right trajectory off the deck and tee and distance-wise it provides a good gap from it to the driver and from it to my SLDR 2H.

Are you using the 15* now?

For reference, I've only fit one guy for the 14* and even he probably should have gone with the 15* for versatility's sake. He said he wanted to hit his FW further off the tee as the first priority even if it meant losing some playability from the deck, so that's what I did for him.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

[quote name='bcflyguy1' timestamp='1396291160' post='8988221']
Tai, I went with the 15* as I found the 14* that little bit harder to elevate properly off the deck. Also, the distance gap between the 14* and my driver on good swings was closer than I would like (IOW the 14* would go uncomfortably far when squished). I've found the 15* to offer the right trajectory off the deck and tee and distance-wise it provides a good gap from it to the driver and from it to my SLDR 2H.

For reference, I've only fit one guy for the 14* and even he probably should have gone with the 15* for versatility's sake. He said he wanted to hit his FW further off the tee as the first priority even if it meant losing some playability from the deck, so that's what I did for him.
[/quote]

Thx man. I have the 15 now, I bought the 14 just to mess around a bit.. I do like the way the 14 sits at neutral better than the 15 sits a few clicks lower. I can see a few minor differences in the way the shape is, so we'll see.. the 15 is really good, but misses want to go left more than I like.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1396297513' post='8988961']
[quote name='bcflyguy1' timestamp='1396291160' post='8988221']

[/quote]

Thx man. I have the 15 now, I bought the 14 just to mess around a bit.. I do like the way the 14 sits at neutral better than the 15 sits a few clicks lower. I can see a few minor differences in the way the shape is, so we'll see.. the 15 is really good, but misses want to go left more than I like.
[/quote]

The lie angle on the 14 set at neutral is going to be flatter than the 15* set lower. That may explain the propensity of your 15* to go left. Any adjustment to SLDR FW's and HB's away from neutral will make the lie angle more upright.

WITB Link

I did notice that it was flatter.. good to know! So even on my 21˚ hybrid, I have it set all the way low, the lie angle seems fine, does it get more upright no matter how you adjust it? Higher or lower?

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1396300495' post='8989283']
TS is a beast, you are going to hit that thing a mile.... I could see you hitting it on a bunch of holes at your home course...
[/quote]

That's what I need it for, but still need it to be good off the deck.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1396300676' post='8989301']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1396300495' post='8989283']
TS is a beast, you are going to hit that thing a mile.... I could see you hitting it on a bunch of holes at your home course...
[/quote]

That's what I need it for, but still need it to be good off the deck.
[/quote]

You will have better success than I did, but I had to try and play a cut with it off the deck to get it elevated high enough to clear anything. For me it was much more like a smaller FD than it is like the SLDR 15 in regards to hitting it off the deck.

Definitely like the way the TS sets up to the ball a lot better.. I can tell it is flatter at setup compared to the 15 set a little lower, looks way better. Not sure what it is, but there are very subtle differences in the TS head shape that I like a little better than the 15. These are very minor, the 15 is one of the best looking 3 woods TM has made in a while (IMO) but I think the TS looks a little better, definitely splitting hairs on this though. I'm going to hit the TS tomorrow and will know pretty quickly which one I like better.

DSC06593.jpg

DSC06592.jpg

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

These are great 3 woods. I only see two opportunities for improvement. 1) the "T" is nearly center, it's about 3/8" to the heel, should be center. 2) small sweet spot in regards to ball speed.

My 15* is the longest 15* that I have ever played. Like I said before, you are going to hit that thing deep.

I was gonna say, the alignment aid on the TS seems to be more towards the center of the face compared to the 15. I wouldn't notice unless I had the 2 side by side.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Interesting. I didn't notice those differences you pointed out, then again, I didn't compare them side by side. The more I look at these the more they remind me of the R9.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1396355220' post='8993187']
Interesting. I didn't notice those differences you pointed out, then again, I didn't compare them side by side. The more I look at these the more they remind me of the R9.
[/quote]
Right on with the looks of the R9, now I know why I like it so much.

TM SLDR 11° Fujikura Fuel 60
TM SLDR 15° MRC Blueboard 73x5ct
9031DF 20°~23° Altus Black Tie, ADDI 105
Cally RAZR X Forged 5-AW, PX flighted
Dynacraft CNC Forged 56°&60°
Scotty Cameron Cali Monterey

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1396355220' post='8993187']
[/quote]

Yeah, R9 mixed with R7TP. I've said it a few times that I think these fairways are instant classics.. really impressed with them and the hybrids, and I usually don't get along well with hybrids. From what I have heard from a few people, the TS is more fade biased, and should be better off the tee.. if it's too hard to hit off the deck, I'm going to stick with my 15˚. I just don't like the tendency to want to go left, I do like that I can move it both ways off the fairway though.. we'll see. Seems like major hair splitting the more I type, but the 3 wood is definitely one of the most important clubs in my bag.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Agree, Tai. I've talked briefly about it in my WITB thread, but the 17* 2H has been a serious eye-popper for me. Chose to go with the Kuro Kage Black 80X in it just on a whim, and it has proven to be really awesome. Finally got out to play last Saturday, and on two shots the 2H produced a result that was VERY impressive. Haven't had as much occasion to use the 15* 3W, but it doesn't exactly suck either.

WITB Link

[quote name='bcflyguy1' timestamp='1396299632' post='8989205']
The flattest lie angle is always going to be the neutral setting, yes.
[/quote]

With TM, Yes. I checked the specs and the lie is listed from 59* to 62*, which in it's flattest setting is equal to my 39.5" 5i. Being 4" longer, TM is definitely building some "draw" tendency into their clubs.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Okay.. TS 14˚ it is. 1 click up from STD and it's t*ts! Goes plenty high both off the ground and the tee, and is just a bit longer more consistently. Misses are less spinny and it has more of a neutral/fade bias than the 15, which I feel has a pretty neutral to very slight draw bias. It was crazy to see how much better the TS got when I moved it from STD to 1 click higher, it's perfect. Keeping it.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1396403569' post='8999619']
Okay.. TS 14˚ it is. 1 click up from STD and it's t*ts! Goes plenty high both off the ground and the tee, and is just a bit longer more consistently. Misses are less spinny and it has more of a neutral/fade bias than the 15, which I feel has a pretty neutral to very slight draw bias. It was crazy to see how much better the TS got when I moved it from STD to 1 click higher, it's perfect. Keeping it.
[/quote]

Awesome, glad to hear it! Trajetory was probably very similar, but sounds like you benfit from the flatter lie angle.

I just posted some FlightScope numbers with my 15* in my WITB thread that you might find interesting. Not anything approaching the level of your shootout, but it's a humble start. :to_become_senile:

WITB Link

Interesting to read your thoughts on the 14* vs 15*. I've been thinking about picking up a sldr 15* to compare against the nike vr limited 3 wood. Just hit the nike so well, it's seems blasphemous to try another 3 wood. Might have to consider the 14* now too. Although, I guess that's why we're all here, isn't it? lol

Titleist TSR3 9* Diamana ZF 60s
Titleist TSR3 15* Kai'li 70s

TM SIM2 Ti 19* Kai'li 70s

Titleist TSR3 24* Atmos Blue 8s
Srixon ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX6 46,50,54,58 
Betti BB46 or QB6 or Betti BB Proto

[quote name='bruinmw' timestamp='1396447963' post='9002321']
Interesting to read your thoughts on the 14* vs 15*. I've been thinking about picking up a sldr 15* to compare against the nike vr limited 3 wood. Just hit the nike so well, it's seems blasphemous to try another 3 wood. Might have to consider the 14* now too. Although, I guess that's why we're all here, isn't it? lol
[/quote]

I would try both of them, like I mentioned above, the difference between the TS and 3W are very minor, but I prefer the TS. I do like the SLDR better than the VR LTD, but the LTD is one of my favorites. If you like the LTD, try the Covert 2.0 Performance. I actually prefer that to the CT 2.0.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

How much longer is the TS over the 15*? 5 yards? 10 yards?

I've always played strong 3 woods, but was considering the SLDR 3&5 woods.

WITB Link

[quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1396482117' post='9006695']
How much longer is the TS over the 15*? 5 yards? 10 yards?

I've always played strong 3 woods, but was considering the SLDR 3&5 woods.
[/quote]

I would say good for good it's 5-10 yards longer.. the main thing I notices is that the average shot with the TS is a bit longer. If you usually play a strong 3 wood, definitely try the TS over the 3W.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1396403569' post='8999619']
[/quote]

Exact same findings for me today. Took my new TS out today and set it one click higher.. perfect framing of the ball and just is murderous to golf balls. I hit a couple shots with it today just breaking it in that were breathtaking! This 3 wood is going to change the game for me especially at my home courses.

How good the TS is is making me think about giving the SLDR 430 a run!

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant