2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

LIVE UPDATES: The $5000 TaylorMade SLDR Guarantee Event! Before/After Results Added!

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396840239' post='9035903']
[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1396832458' post='9035019']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396831254' post='9034869']
[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1396830747' post='9034807']
[quote name='amackey10' timestamp='1396829972' post='9034703']
Let me start off by saying thanks a ton to TaylorMade and GolfWRX. This experience was unreal and is something I surely will not forget anytime soon. Everyone who was involved in putting on the event was first class to say the least. They went out of their way to make sure that this trip was amazing. One of the best parts of the trip was just hanging with all of the guys and getting to talk to our TM guys, Tom Kroll and Ryan (who was our TPML fitter in Dallas). Both guys are awesome and truly love what they do. One of the things that surprised me the most was that everyone I met with TaylorMade absolutely loves golf. When you get to hang out with these guys you realize that they do not just work and run a golf company, they are golfers. They all think like golfers and they want to produce and make products that will make the game more enjoyable to everyone who plays it.

I will now talk about what everyone wants – the fitting. I was previously fit out at Cool Clubs in Scottsdale about 2 years ago. I was fit into a Callaway RAZR Fit 8.5* driver with an Accra Tour Z M5-85 gram shaft @ 44.75”. I have played this driver for about 1.5 years and I absolutely love it. Keep in mind that during this fitting we were hitting directly into the Dallas wind and it was blowing 15-25 MPH. It was also probably around 60-65 degrees outside for what its worth. Also, I was hitting balls on and off for about 3.5 hours before I started my fitting so I was a little worn out.

My numbers from the Callaway driver from Friday were as follows. These were 7-10 shot averages:

Swing Speed: 120.4 MPH
Ball Speed: 174.5 MPH
Smash Factor: 1.45
Launch Angle: 7.8*
Total Spin: 2,716 RPM
Carry Distance: 289 yards
Total Distance: 315 yards
Offline: -13 yards
AoA: -3.4
Descent Angle: 34

Then Ryan handed me a SLDR 460 9.5* with the new Aldila Tour Green 75TX. This shaft was still spinning the ball too much. I liked the feel of it but it just was not cutting it. Next up was the Black Tie 8X version. This shaft did not feel as good as the Aldila and it still was spinning it too much. Next, I tried the SLDR 9* 430 head turn up a 2 clicks and 2 clicks towards the draw setting with the Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 X shaft. This seemed to be the ideal set up until I asked if I could hit this shaft in the 9.5* SLDR 460. Boom. This was the one was I was keeping. The first ball I hit with this thing just launched up into the Texas wind and kept going and going. It was obvious simply from watching the ball flight that it was spinning noticeably less.

My final driver was the SLDR 460 9.5* turned up 2 clicks, the weight was moved two clicks towards the draw setting shafted with a Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 X shaft @ 45”. My average numbers were as follows:

Swing Speed: 119.8 MPH
Ball Speed: 172.9 MPH
Launch Angle: 9.8*
Total Spin: 2,282 RPM
Carry Distance: 294 yards
Total Distance: 323 yards
Offline: -14 yards
Descent Angle: 33

As you can see, my ball speed went slightly down (most likely due to being tired), my launch increased by 2* and my spin decreased by 434 RPM’s leading to an average increase of distance of 8 yards. I did “loft up” one degree but more importantly I launched-up with less spin.

As far as hitting this driver on the course, my misses went significantly straighter. My typical miss is a big wipe that has a huge cut on it. On average I would say that this miss with the RAZR Fit goes about 260-270 ish but with the SLDR it was going about the same distance but much, much straighter. At the Cowboy Club, I hit a ball that was directly off of the toe and it still went about 310 dead straight. I was amazed. After I hit this ball, I looked to Tom and said, “This driver is f****** insane. It is going straight in my bag.” I have never hit a drive off the toe that went so straight like that with my RAZR Fit.

Also, the SLDR mini is a cannon! As I said before, you know that feeling you get when your buddies double bounce you on a trampoline? That is the feeling I got when I hit the mini. Its an awesome little club.

As for the -47 yards offline that has been discussed earlier in the thread, from my memory, I am almost positive that ESP (Eric) picked a different target without adjusting the machine. This was due to him hitting out of depressions that were left on the ground from previous people being fit in the same place. But, I am sure that he will chime in soon.

This was an awesome experience and I cannot express how grateful I am to have had this opportunity to represent GolfWRX. The technology behind the SLDR driver is legit and it does launch higher with less spin. Feel free to PM with any questions. I will update this thread once I get some time to play my home track and compare.
[/quote]

Hey Mackey when you took the 9.5 two clicks higher was there a noticeable closing of the face angle? That's why with my very short stint with a SLDR I went with a 12* so I could play it at 11 or 11.5 and still have it look good to my eye.
[/quote]

For me, I was like you....9.5 clicked to a higher loft = the look of past non TP heads to me which = No chance I will hit it straight and watch it ballon.
430 head is much better if you ask me if put into a higher setting. This is what I personally see coming from lower lofted heads that are usually set on a open setting.
[/quote]

Thanks Bob. I have not even thought about trying the 430 as all I have read is that its even more low spin and less forgiving than the 460. I've been playing since 1983 and played persimmon and small headed drivers for a long time and to this day prefer them. Maybe I should take one out for a test drive just to see
[/quote]

I am putting together a list of everyones fittings and so far only a few 430 heads, but it sounds like its the ticket for you. It is a touch small as I am use to the past few 460 offerings, but after two rounds it did not bother me to much nor did it when it was put in front of me on Friday...heck, it sits better so I had to have a go with it. Take a look at one and see if it fits your eye or heck, come on up to Seattle and hit mine!
[/quote]

Thanks for all the feedback to my questions Bob. If I was anywhere near Seattle, I'd take you up on that!!

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said ThunderBuzzworth and a great read coming from a non TM person.

I guess the real answer to this is a wait and see game.......Wait and see if any other OEM challenges the SLDR and whom better to choose to partake in the next challenge other then the 20 guys that just did the TM gig?

Just like I said to TM.....bring it on.......Titliest, Ping, Cobra, and YOU Callaway....lets get a crackin

[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1396840961' post='9035961']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396840239' post='9035903']
[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1396832458' post='9035019']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396831254' post='9034869']
[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1396830747' post='9034807']
[quote name='amackey10' timestamp='1396829972' post='9034703']
Let me start off by saying thanks a ton to TaylorMade and GolfWRX. This experience was unreal and is something I surely will not forget anytime soon. Everyone who was involved in putting on the event was first class to say the least. They went out of their way to make sure that this trip was amazing. One of the best parts of the trip was just hanging with all of the guys and getting to talk to our TM guys, Tom Kroll and Ryan (who was our TPML fitter in Dallas). Both guys are awesome and truly love what they do. One of the things that surprised me the most was that everyone I met with TaylorMade absolutely loves golf. When you get to hang out with these guys you realize that they do not just work and run a golf company, they are golfers. They all think like golfers and they want to produce and make products that will make the game more enjoyable to everyone who plays it.

I will now talk about what everyone wants – the fitting. I was previously fit out at Cool Clubs in Scottsdale about 2 years ago. I was fit into a Callaway RAZR Fit 8.5* driver with an Accra Tour Z M5-85 gram shaft @ 44.75”. I have played this driver for about 1.5 years and I absolutely love it. Keep in mind that during this fitting we were hitting directly into the Dallas wind and it was blowing 15-25 MPH. It was also probably around 60-65 degrees outside for what its worth. Also, I was hitting balls on and off for about 3.5 hours before I started my fitting so I was a little worn out.

My numbers from the Callaway driver from Friday were as follows. These were 7-10 shot averages:

Swing Speed: 120.4 MPH
Ball Speed: 174.5 MPH
Launch Angle: 7.8*
Total Spin: 2,716 RPM
Carry Distance: 289 yards
Total Distance: 315 yards
Offline: -13 yards
Descent Angle: 34

Then Ryan handed me a SLDR 460 9.5* with the new Aldila Tour Green 75TX. This shaft was still spinning the ball too much. I liked the feel of it but it just was not cutting it. Next up was the Black Tie 8X version. This shaft did not feel as good as the Aldila and it still was spinning it too much. Next, I tried the SLDR 9* 430 head turn up a 2 clicks and 2 clicks towards the draw setting with the Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 X shaft. This seemed to be the ideal set up until I asked if I could hit this shaft in the 9.5* SLDR 460. Boom. This was the one was I was keeping. The first ball I hit with this thing just launched up into the Texas wind and kept going and going. It was obvious simply from watching the ball flight that it was spinning noticeably less.

My final driver was the SLDR 460 9.5* turned up 2 clicks, the weight was moved two clicks towards the draw setting shafted with a Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 X shaft @ 45”. My average numbers were as follows:

Swing Speed: 119.8 MPH
Ball Speed: 172.9 MPH
Launch Angle: 9.8*
Total Spin: 2,282 RPM
Carry Distance: 294 yards
Total Distance: 323 yards
Offline: -14 yards
Descent Angle: 33

As you can see, my ball speed went slightly down (most likely due to being tired), my launch increased by 2* and my spin decreased by 434 RPM’s leading to an average increase of distance of 8 yards. I did “loft up” one degree but more importantly I launched-up with less spin.

As far as hitting this driver on the course, my misses went significantly straighter. My typical miss is a big wipe that has a huge cut on it. On average I would say that this miss with the RAZR Fit goes about 260-270 ish but with the SLDR it was going about the same distance but much, much straighter. At the Cowboy Club, I hit a ball that was directly off of the toe and it still went about 310 dead straight. I was amazed. After I hit this ball, I looked to Tom and said, “This driver is f****** insane. It is going straight in my bag.” I have never hit a drive off the toe that went so straight like that with my RAZR Fit.

Also, the SLDR mini is a cannon! As I said before, you know that feeling you get when your buddies double bounce you on a trampoline? That is the feeling I got when I hit the mini. Its an awesome little club.

As for the -47 yards offline that has been discussed earlier in the thread, from my memory, I am almost positive that ESP (Eric) picked a different target without adjusting the machine. This was due to him hitting out of depressions that were left on the ground from previous people being fit in the same place. But, I am sure that he will chime in soon.

This was an awesome experience and I cannot express how grateful I am to have had this opportunity to represent GolfWRX. The technology behind the SLDR driver is legit and it does launch higher with less spin. Feel free to PM with any questions. I will update this thread once I get some time to play my home track and compare.
[/quote]

Hey Mackey when you took the 9.5 two clicks higher was there a noticeable closing of the face angle? That's why with my very short stint with a SLDR I went with a 12* so I could play it at 11 or 11.5 and still have it look good to my eye.
[/quote]

For me, I was like you....9.5 clicked to a higher loft = the look of past non TP heads to me which = No chance I will hit it straight and watch it ballon.
430 head is much better if you ask me if put into a higher setting. This is what I personally see coming from lower lofted heads that are usually set on a open setting.
[/quote]

Thanks Bob. I have not even thought about trying the 430 as all I have read is that its even more low spin and less forgiving than the 460. I've been playing since 1983 and played persimmon and small headed drivers for a long time and to this day prefer them. Maybe I should take one out for a test drive just to see
[/quote]

I am putting together a list of everyones fittings and so far only a few 430 heads, but it sounds like its the ticket for you. It is a touch small as I am use to the past few 460 offerings, but after two rounds it did not bother me to much nor did it when it was put in front of me on Friday...heck, it sits better so I had to have a go with it. Take a look at one and see if it fits your eye or heck, come on up to Seattle and hit mine!
[/quote]

Thanks for all the feedback to my questions Bob. If I was anywhere near Seattle, I'd take you up on that!!
[/quote]

I'd even fit you with my limited stash of shafts! Really though.....anyone near me looking to try a few heads out let me know

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1396835943' post='9035439']

I'm not jealous at all.
[/quote]

I am sorry you didn't get to go. I think the part you missed, is that they would have been payed the same money to prove TM wrong. It payed both ways.
I am also sorry that you came in this thread to cry about it. The majority of the the posters on this site know that we don't all agree but, we never try shame someone or pick fights no one can win. Over the last few months the attack have gotten worse. Arguing just to argue. Beating a point to death for no reason or "in the interest of learning to be a better fitter" or because "I don't like TM advertising campaign". It is senseless. If some one responded to with complete objectivity, as many have tried to do, you and other blow it off as typical TM Kool-aid. Well who's Kool-aid are you and the others drinking? What do you get out of it? It's not the truth? So what is it?

I do not go into threads to get into an argument. I state my opinion and let it be.

As I have stated before, this is an opinion forum. You have your right to yours as I have my right to mine. I am fine with that. What I don't get is when you and others forgot the part about "Agreeing to Disagree"? I used to respect your opinion, along with some of the others on here who seem hellbent on degrading somebody from behind a keyboard with nothing invested themselves.

If you and others want to be vigilantes, be my guest. You will be call out for it.

Thanks for calling a breather on this, Ouzo. It's about time

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1396840260' post='9035907']
I asked why on a lot of subjects and got QUALITY answers each and every time. If they didn't know they didn't make up any bs answers. TMAG is onto something huge with growing the game to the next generation
[/quote]

Sounds very familiar to our time with the TM crew in Naples.. talking shop/business with them was like hearing it from lifelong buddies; they weren't going to BS you, they told you what and how they thought/felt (and why they thought it) straight up. They know the direction they want to go, and they aren't the least bit afraid to go there. I think they enjoy the "naysay," it keeps them fired up.

But I really just wanted to reply to this quote:
[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1396840260' post='9035907']
an awesome honest and straight forward guy like Tom Fisher
[/quote]

Fish was my absolute favorite part of our trip. Not only did he really make me feel good about my game, but he was the most down to earth guy out of the whole crew. My favorite round of golf on the trip was when he grouped up with us (myself, CPP, Blake, and I think Gregg? Sorry if I'm mistaken); I honestly felt like I was playing with a good friend, and completely forgot that he was with TM. He stood out, to me, as the nicest guy in of a group of insanely nice and genuinely good people, and that's hard to do. (Bubba was in contention, have to throw that out for my crew's sake, but lol)

Just like hearing about you guys enjoying time with Fish, and had to show some love!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

@502 - I hear what you are saying, I have walked in your shoes, trust me.... I have also attended Titleist headquarters and Taylormade headquarters both outside of WRX and non related to WRX. I was just as skeptical at one time as you are now and I am telling you that you are misinformed. I know the gifts, (in this case money) comes across as an OEM buying their way into the pockets of WRX and when you don't know all the facts it certainly appears this way.

It's more like they have a budget of money to spend, they spend a lot of time fitting tour players, and corporate rich guys that can't break 100. The OEM's get a chance to spend time with WRX dimple heads and they simply just want us (dimple heads) to have a good time, hit a ton of cool clubs and improve our golf. They are not sitting there thinking "how can we convince them" they honestly just want us to enjoy ourselves and to share their knowledge and equipment. It's all in good intentions... Like I said I have never been on a WRX trip but I know the times that I have visited the facilities has been the same idea but toned down compared to what these guys experience. I am confident that Nike, Callaway, Cleveland, etc are just good dudes that want to share their wealth with other dimple heads. They are not trying to serve Kool-Aid and buy our opinions. They simply just want to show us a good time, we are all free to form our own opinions. I can guarantee you that they will not take offense to any members that don't put their gear into play.

I'm surprised TMaG even bothers with this site anymore due to the hate and vitriol directed at them on a daily basis. It continues to amaze me that people can get so worked up about a club manufacturer.

I've enjoyed reading the reviews so far. It furthers my belief that you simply can't self-fit the SLDR, as I think TMBob alluded to earlier.

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.75"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS RDX Blue 6.5, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (2024)

My WITB Post

Everyone... I cleaned this thread up. The member "502 to Right" was asked to go on the trip. Couldn't go because of work and now looking at this thread got freaky and wondered why anyone went. Real confused couple of days for him. He asked asked to have his account removed so we of course did. Wish him calmer days ahead.

Here is the deal. We offer golfwrx to allow golfers to talk shop. Come here and beat the issues to death and allow readers to search for hours to read all the different angles and various opinions on all sorts of issues related to golf. 9 to 3 drill, face balanced or not, etc.

We work with golf companies to expose their products. Small and large we do that. If you don't want to read about a SLDR challenge that TMag held with members than "DONT CLICK THE THREAD !!!!!"

There are thousands of posts a day. You don't have to poke your head in a thread that will turn you into a maniac and start to bash and hate on peeps. If you do turn into a maniac you might say things that are against the rules. You might turn into someone that you never wanted to be and then ask for your account to be removed such as "502 to right". Lets all be cool and remember this isn't about life or death. Its about beating our personal best and enjoying the game while we are young enough to do so.

Thread cleaned up. Please stay on point. If you feel that you are turning into a hater reading this thread please exit ASAP and read something that makes you feel more at peace.

Richard

[quote name='jll62' timestamp='1396842618' post='9036137']
I'm surprised TMaG even bothers with this site anymore due to the hate and vitriol directed at them on a daily basis. It continues to amaze me that people can get so worked up about a club manufacturer.

I've enjoyed reading the reviews so far. It furthers my belief that you simply can't self-fit the SLDR, as I think TMBob alluded to earlier.
[/quote]

Oh, I think it can be still self fit (wink wink as I will never stop unless its sings Viola to me) but we self fitters have taken the time and efforts to learn this art and after these past few days I am starting to think that we are use to a certain way and that certainly does not seem to be the best way to fit this head. Hopefully the info I am gathering and will be sharing will start will help us understand more about the puzzle that self fitters are struggling with.

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396843479' post='9036187']

Oh, I think it can be still self fit (wink wink as I will never stop unless its sings Viola to me) but we self fitters have taken the time and efforts to learn this art and after these past few days I am starting to think that we are use to a certain way and that certainly does not seem to be the best way to fit this head. Hopefully the info I am gathering and will be sharing will start will help us understand more about the puzzle that self fitters are struggling with.
[/quote]

Am I wrong in thinking that it seems a lot of guys ended up being fit for higher lofted heads and clicking them down in order to open the face up more? (leaving them still with more loft overall, but with a more desirable face position) I know I know, wait for the list ;) *patiently waiting!*

Just seems it's possible that a lot of self fitters are buying heads similar to their current loft, and then clicking them up to experiment with the "loft up" stuff, which could be catastrophic to their desired shot shape.. Maybe one thing for self fitters to think about before deciding on a head. I won't even go into shafts for the SLDR because that's something I have even less knowledge in (arguably none, heh), just trying to provide some possible friendly discussion points! ;)

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thanks, easyyy. Sorry, I usually bite my cyber-tongue pretty well, but couldn't hold back this time...

My recap is coming, promise.

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

[quote name='MaydayGSXR' timestamp='1396844025' post='9036237']
[/quote]

Am I wrong in thinking that it seems a lot of guys ended up being fit for higher lofted heads and clicking them down in order to open the face up more? (leaving them still with more loft overall, but with a more desirable face position) I know I know, wait for the list ;) *patiently waiting!*

Just seems it's possible that a lot of self fitters are buying heads similar to their current loft, and then clicking them up to experiment with the "loft up" stuff, which could be catastrophic to their desired shot shape.. Maybe one thing for self fitters to think about before deciding on a head. I won't even go into shafts for the SLDR because that's something I have even less knowledge in (arguably none, heh), just trying to provide some possible friendly discussion points! ;)
[/quote]

Funny, so far out of 7 of the 20, Three went with a more Open face, and Three went to a more Closed face and one had no change. One of the three that went closed was me, but by the end of the trip I was 3 clicks back the other way. The 430 heads all seem to have gone open also.

There does not seem to be a right or wrong way so far, but when I first started out with a 9.5 460 head, I did what I always did and opened that baby up. I had very little interest in lofting up because of some left issues that I had with it. Going up in loft in my mind meant more loft = more left and more spin.

By the way...the whole Sawgrass crew do not have their info yet so that will slow this gathering down some.

SLDR Guarantee - Dallas Group

To start, I want to thank GolfWRX, Tom and Taylormade, Ryan and the TMPL at Gleneagles, Gentle Creek GC, and Cowboys GC for a great trip (even for a Texans fan). Definitely was one that I enjoyed every moment of, met some great people, played two nice courses, and also learned a hell of a lot.

Ok, here goes. Got to the hotel first, even after having my driver take a longer than anticipated detour looking for a grocery/convenience store. I was on vacation, and I was thirsty... Met the guys downstairs before dinner. The first few minutes I think were a little awkward for everyone, but Eric (ESP) broke the ice saying, "Well I'm not going to make you drink alone," and we never looked back. Shortly after, Tom from TM and Ryan from the TMPL arrived. We sat and had a few drinks while getting to know each other a little. Tom started off by giving a short rundown of what the plans were, what they wanted, and also went around and spoke to each of us individually about our backgrounds, which was cool. It was mostly golf-related, but mostly isn't "all." For instance, we found out Tom has himself covered when avocados and limes are eventually $10/each in California, and that Cosmos is a bigger car-nut than I am (and has the kickass wheels and skills to back it up, which I don't).

Headed to dinner at Gordon Biersch, which was a nice place and had some good food. Conversation was candid and again, mostly golf-related. Details begin getting fuzzy for me at this point in the night, but it was relatively uneventful from what I recall. Went back to the hotel because we knew we had an early morning and a long day coming.

Thursday, I managed to make it downstairs on time and off we were to Gleneagles. Arrived at the club and got a tour of the TMPL, had breakfast, then went out to warm up. As mentioned, we were hitting into the teeth of a steady 15-20mph wind, but gusts that were strong enough to blow driver heads off the table. I drew 4, which I was happy with. Didn't want to be first, didn't want to be last. Tried my best to not overdo it in the time while others were being fit, but it's hard to do with all of that gear just sitting there. Made it a point to not hit a bunch of drivers until I was on deck. Then I was up.

Gamer: PING Anser 9.5, up to 10, 'Ahina 70-x, 45". I was fit for this driver by a regional PING rep, outside, on a Trackman. I have ALWAYS gravitated toward mid/high launch shafts in my driver because I already launch the ball low with a good deal of spin. They have just always give me the best trajectory and shot shape. When I ended up with the best numbers in a low-spin head like the Anser, with a low launch, low spin, tip stuff shaft, I was shocked. But like
I said, I find it really hard to argue with results.

Hit a few to get situated on the target, then Ryan said he was going to start capturing them on the monitor. Hit my driver decent, then finally nuked one and said to myself it would be hard to beat. Hit a few more to get a good sample size, then onto the SLDR.

Wanted to start out hitting the same shaft in my Ping, but that exact one wasn't there, so I began with an 'ahina 60-x. Hit a few and it felt good, but nothing to write home about. Hit a few with the Aldila Tour Green (seemed to be their starting point with everyone unless something specific was requested at the outset). After two balls with that shaft, it was ruled out - hard to describe, but didn't like the feel. Then I inherited Tiger's back. Started getting really tight, then I had a hard time making more than 2 decent swings without sitting or stretching, so I had a lot of "outliers" at MY request. Was getting closer but spin was still high, mostly because I was hitting every other ball low on the face, which is my normal miss. I did notice that they seemed to stay in the air longer than my normal low-heel miss. I was starting to get a little out of sorts, realizing I was taking what seemed like forever compared to the others, but I wasn't going to settle. The fact that Ryan and Tom weren't giving up also made me feel better. Then we tried the AD-7x in a 9.5 430 head, I believe. I hit so many balls with so many combos that I couldn't keep track. We were trying to knock my launch angle up a bit and keep the spin down also. I then asked the at least try the Kyoshi White because I knew it fit the profile of what I typically prefer in terms of launch, etc. First in the 430, then a 10.5 430, then in the 9.5 460. Both sized heads produced similar shots for me, but Ryan and I agreed that the 460 just seemed to have a little more "oomph" to the ball flight. So it was settled - 460 9.5, Oban Kyoshi White, 65-x. The numbers didn't lie, and my average distance went up 18 yds, mostly because of the 900+ rpm reduction in spin and small increase in ball speed. I immediately went and sat down to let the vise in my lower back let go. Here are the final stats/specs:

TMAG numbers

----------------
Current set up
Head PING ANSER
Loft 9.5*
Sleeve Setting "+" to 10*
Shaft 'Ahina 70
Flex X
Length 45.5"

Swing Speed 112.7
Ball speed 163.4
Smash 1.45
Launch angle 8.5*
Spin 3581
Decent 39*
Carry yards 260
Total Distance 279
------------------
New Set up
Head SLDR 460
Loft 9.5
Sleeve Setting 2 clicks higher, slider on blue mark (neutral??)
Shaft Oban Kyoshi White 65
Flex 05 (x)
Length 45"

Swing Speed 113.7
Ball speed 164.9
Smash 1.45
Launch angle 7.5
Spin 2661
Decent 32
Carry yards 270
Total Distance 297

Overall distance gained (Avg): +18 yards

In my opinion, this gain is mostly due to the nearly 1000 less rpm I get with this combo, with a small increase in ball speed to help also. The real performance is on the course with the tight dispersion, for me. Really difficult to dispute when you don't miss a fairway with a club all day (see below).

Then I remembered we were told we'd be getting a FW and Rescue, and I hadn't really tested much of those. Limped through about 20 more shots with each and settled on something for each club (which I have since changed a minimum of 3 times - sorry Rob...)

Once we were all done and the clubs were in hand, it was off to Gentle Creek. I was lucky enough to ride with CosmosMpower in his GT-R. Man, what a car. That is all.

I had played Gentle Creek a couple of years ago and really liked the place, so I was excited to get back. While the guys went to hit some balls, I putted some. Then it was time to go. This is already really long, so let me say this. I missed 2 fairways all day - one with a 3 wood, one with a 4-iron. Every other par 4 or 5, I hit driver, and I hit the fairway. And it seemed easy. This club flat out performed on the course for me, much better than I expected, and actually much better than it did even during the fitting. I told the guys I was playing with after I hit a bomb on 18 tee that this was the first time I had not missed a fairway in 18 holes with a driver. I was excited to get out on day 2 to see if it was a honeymoon or not. Also got to hit the Mini off the deck on a par 5 and it was surprisingly easy considering the relatively large face.

That evening we had dinner at Silver Fox, and the meat, beer, wine, and scotch were all great. Hard to elaborate. Then, we went to Blue Martini and once again, this is where the evening gets fuzzy for me, then goes completely out of focus, so I'll stop before I start telling "my" point of view.

Saturday was Cowboys GC, and I overslept a little. We all made it downstairs within 15 minutes of the departure time, and most of us were hurting pretty bad. In more ways than one. Breakfast, some Aleve, a couple muscle relaxers, a half gallon of Biofreeze, and a few cups of coffee later I was ready to rally. Range time was interesting but finally
managed to make contact. First hole, stepped up and striped one right down the middle, and long for a hungover, sore old man. The greens at CGC are a little goofy at times, and a couple are borderline unfair in a couple of spots (I'll explain in a second), but it was a fun course to play for the most part.
Hole 14 was a straightaway short par-4, around 300 yards. Hit the drive of the weekend for me and it landed just left of the front edge, hopped up on the green, and had to have taken a peek going by based on where it ended up. Get to the green, flexed for the guys in front if us, then was told by I think Cosmos to have fun with that putt. Whatever, I had 20 feet uphill for eagle. Hit a decent putt that should have finished inside a foot for a tap in birdie, but ended up 15 feet away, ala Payne Stewart at Olympic. Managed to leave my second putt past the hole and tapped in for the ever-popular 3 putt par. Just to keep you naysayers happy, I actually missed a handful of fairways this round, but it was obvious to me that the ball was not curving as much when I missed it, and that is mostly what I'm looking for when I change drivers. I'll have to play my home course to see if it's noticeably longer, but so far it definitely is straighter and longer on misses for me.

I know that was like reading a novel, but I wanted to give as detailed and comprehensive recap of the weekend as I could (at least could recall). Thanks again to GolfWRX, Taylormade, Tom, and Ryan for a very memorable weekend that I'm sure all of us enjoyed more than we can express.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396844808' post='9036303']

Funny, so far out of 7 of the 20, Three went with a more Open face, and Three went to a more Closed face and one had no change. One of the three that went closed was me, but by the end of the trip I was 3 clicks back the other way. The 430 heads all seem to have gone open also.

[/quote]

Ah, never mind then, that appears to show that the SLDR might be even more difficult to self fit, lol.. "whichever head you buy, it's not going to work for you in neutral" haha, so yes, hopefully your data will shed some light on which way a person might want to lean when thinking head selections.

[/quote]

[/quote] I was asked before we started hitting balls what I liked to see. I told him square to open, so maybe that helps them pick a head to start with.

[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1396845361' post='9036353']
[/quote]

[/quote] I was asked before we started hitting balls what I liked to see. I told him square to open, so maybe that helps them pick a head to start with.
[/quote]

That was a great question by the fitter....need to make a note of that.

Wanted to add some pictures. T[attachment=2163005:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396845390.138741.jpg][attachment=2163007:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396845407.373376.jpg][attachment=2163009:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396845422.408015.jpg][attachment=2163011:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396845504.748312.jpg][attachment=2163013:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396845533.385455.jpg][attachment=2163015:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396845551.152264.jpg][attachment=2163017:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396845811.773831.jpg][attachment=2163019:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396845849.075866.jpg]

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

[quote name='Hoover98' timestamp='1396844942' post='9036317']
I immediately went and sat down to let the vise in my lower back let go.
[/quote]

Way to slug it out man, good going. SLDR came out a bit lower (launch) than your ANSER, but that thing got some wicked roll it looks like, and worked well for you on the course (hitting lots of fairways), very nice, glad you found a winner!

I know that was like reading a novel
[/quote]

It really wasn't, it was a great read. Had a bit of everything; shaft info, SLDRmini feedback, but feel free to elaborate more on which one of you made a fool of yourself at the bar ;) Thanks for the read!

[quote name='MaydayGSXR' timestamp='1396846023' post='9036381'][quote name='Hoover98' timestamp='1396844942' post='9036317']
I immediately went and sat down to let the vise in my lower back let go.
[/quote]

Way to slug it out man, good going. SLDR came out a bit lower (launch) than your ANSER, but that thing got some wicked roll it looks like, and worked well for you on the course (hitting lots of fairways), very nice, glad you found a winner!
[/quote]

I think the low LA avg. was more a product of my reaction to the pain, causing me to almost stand up at impact. I think I hit 1/4 solidly with the last couple if combos. It was bordering on wasting time at one point. I really started to feel bad for Sam who was waiting for his turn.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

[quote name='jll62' timestamp='1396842618' post='9036137']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe that's it...an "unlearn what we've learned" situation with this head. I've been through 9.5 and 10.5 460 heads with various shafts, including ones that I was fit into for the RBZ and the RBZ Stage 2 (this one at the Kingdom), but I haven't been able to get good results with SLDR yet. Here's hoping some if the info you're putting together will unlock this thing.

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.75"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS RDX Blue 6.5, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (2024)

My WITB Post

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1396843840' post='9036217']
[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1396843044' post='9036165']
Lets all be cool and remember this isn't about life or death. Its about beating our personal best and enjoying the game while we are young enough to do so.
[/quote]

Thank you
[/quote]

+1

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='Hoover98' timestamp='1396846323' post='9036409']

I think the low LA avg. was more a product of my reaction to the pain, causing me to almost stand up at impact. I think I hit 1/4 solidly with the last couple if combos. It was bordering on wasting time at one point. I really started to feel bad for Sam who was waiting for his turn.
[/quote]

Well I'm glad you were able to find a good combo nonetheless, hopefully it works out even better when the back is ready for more action (or at least you have a shaft/club for sore back days, ha).

SLDR Guarantee - Dallas Group

To start, I want to thank GolfWRX, Tom and Taylormade, Ryan and the TMPL at Gleneagles, Gentle Creek GC, and Cowboys GC for a great trip (even for a Texans fan). Definitely was one that I enjoyed every moment of, met some great people, played two nice courses, and also learned a hell of a lot.

Ok, here goes. Got to the hotel first, even after having my driver take a longer than anticipated detour looking for a grocery/convenience store. I was on vacation, and I was thirsty... Met the guys downstairs before dinner. The first few minutes I think were a little awkward for everyone, but Eric (ESP) broke the ice saying, "Well I'm not going to make you drink alone," and we never looked back. Shortly after, Tom from TM and Ryan from the TMPL arrived. We sat and had a few drinks while getting to know each other a little. Tom started off by giving a short rundown of what the plans were, what they wanted, and also went around and spoke to each of us individually about our backgrounds, which was cool. It was mostly golf-related, but mostly isn't "all." For instance, we found out Tom has himself covered when avocados and limes are eventually $10/each in California, and that Cosmos is a bigger car-nut than I am (and has the kickass wheels and skills to back it up, which I don't).

Headed to dinner at Gordon Biersch, which was a nice place and had some good food. Conversation was candid and again, mostly golf-related. Details begin getting fuzzy for me at this point in the night, but it was relatively uneventful from what I recall. Went back to the hotel because we knew we had an early morning and a long day coming.

Thursday, I managed to make it downstairs on time and off we were to Gleneagles. Arrived at the club and got a tour of the TMPL, had breakfast, then went out to warm up. As mentioned, we were hitting into the teeth of a steady 15-20mph wind, but gusts that were strong enough to blow driver heads off the table. I drew 4, which I was happy with. Didn't want to be first, didn't want to be last. Tried my best to not overdo it in the time while others were being fit, but it's hard to do with all of that gear just sitting there. Made it a point to not hit a bunch of drivers until I was on deck. Then I was up.

Gamer: PING Anser 9.5, up to 10, 'Ahina 70-x, 45". I was fit for this driver by a regional PING rep, outside, on a Trackman. I have ALWAYS gravitated toward mid/high launch shafts in my driver because I already launch the ball low with a good deal of spin. They have just always give me the best trajectory and shot shape. When I ended up with the best numbers in a low-spin head like the Anser, with a low launch, low spin, tip stuff shaft, I was shocked. But like
I said, I find it really hard to argue with results.

Hit a few to get situated on the target, then Ryan said he was going to start capturing them on the monitor. Hit my driver decent, then finally nuked one and said to myself it would be hard to beat. Hit a few more to get a good sample size, then onto the SLDR.

Wanted to start out hitting the same shaft in my Ping, but that exact one wasn't there, so I began with an 'ahina 60-x. Hit a few and it felt good, but nothing to write home about. Hit a few with the Aldila Tour Green (seemed to be their starting point with everyone unless something specific was requested at the outset). After two balls with that shaft, it was ruled out - hard to describe, but didn't like the feel. Then I inherited Tiger's back. Started getting really tight, then I had a hard time making more than 2 decent swings without sitting or stretching, so I had a lot of "outliers" at MY request. Was getting closer but spin was still high, mostly because I was hitting every other ball low on the face, which is my normal miss. I did notice that they seemed to stay in the air longer than my normal low-heel miss. I was starting to get a little out of sorts, realizing I was taking what seemed like forever compared to the others, but I wasn't going to settle. The fact that Ryan and Tom weren't giving up also made me feel better. Then we tried the AD-7x in a 9.5 430 head, I believe. I hit so many balls with so many combos that I couldn't keep track. We were trying to knock my launch angle up a bit and keep the spin down also. I then asked the at least try the Kyoshi White because I knew it fit the profile of what I typically prefer in terms of launch, etc. First in the 430, then a 10.5 430, then in the 9.5 460. Both sized heads produced similar shots for me, but Ryan and I agreed that the 460 just seemed to have a little more "oomph" to the ball flight. So it was settled - 460 9.5, Oban Kyoshi White, 65-x. The numbers didn't lie, and my average distance went up 18 yds, mostly because of the 900+ rpm reduction in spin and small increase in ball speed. I immediately went and sat down to let the vise in my lower back let go. Here are the final stats/specs:

TMAG numbers

----------------
Current set up
Head PING ANSER
Loft 9.5*
Sleeve Setting "+" to 10*
Shaft 'Ahina 70
Flex X
Length 45.5"

Swing Speed 112.7
Ball speed 163.4
Smash 1.45
Launch angle 8.5*
Spin 3581
Decent 39*
Carry yards 260
Total Distance 279
------------------
New Set up
Head SLDR 460
Loft 9.5
Sleeve Setting 2 clicks higher, slider on blue mark (neutral??)
Shaft Oban Kyoshi White 65
Flex 05 (x)
Length 45"

Swing Speed 113.7
Ball speed 164.9
Smash 1.45
Launch angle 7.5
Spin 2661
Decent 32
Carry yards 270
Total Distance 297

Overall distance gained (Avg): +18 yards

In my opinion, this gain is mostly due to the nearly 1000 less rpm I get with this combo, with a small increase in ball speed to help also. The real performance is on the course with the tight dispersion, for me. Really difficult to dispute when you don't miss a fairway with a club all day (see below).

Then I remembered we were told we'd be getting a FW and Rescue, and I hadn't really tested much of those. Limped through about 20 more shots with each and settled on something for each club (which I have since changed a minimum of 3 times - sorry Rob...)

Once we were all done and the clubs were in hand, it was off to Gentle Creek. I was lucky enough to ride with CosmosMpower in his GT-R. Man, what a car. That is all.

I had played Gentle Creek a couple of years ago and really liked the place, so I was excited to get back. While the guys went to hit some balls, I putted some. Then it was time to go. This is already really long, so let me say this. I missed 2 fairways all day - one with a 3 wood, one with a 4-iron. Every other par 4 or 5, I hit driver, and I hit the fairway. And it seemed easy. This club flat out performed on the course for me, much better than I expected, and actually much better than it did even during the fitting. I told the guys I was playing with after I hit a bomb on 18 tee that this was the first time I had not missed a fairway in 18 holes with a driver. I was excited to get out on day 2 to see if it was a honeymoon or not. Also got to hit the Mini off the deck on a par 5 and it was surprisingly easy considering the relatively large face.

That evening we had dinner at Silver Fox, and the meat, beer, wine, and scotch were all great. Hard to elaborate. Then, we went to Blue Martini and once again, this is where the evening gets fuzzy for me, then goes completely out of focus, so I'll stop before I start telling "my" point of view.

Saturday was Cowboys GC, and I overslept a little. We all made it downstairs within 15 minutes of the departure time, and most of us were hurting pretty bad. In more ways than one. Breakfast, some Aleve, a couple muscle relaxers, a half gallon of Biofreeze, and a few cups of coffee later I was ready to rally. Range time was interesting but finally
managed to make contact. First hole, stepped up and striped one right down the middle, and long for a hungover, sore old man. The greens at CGC are a little goofy at times, and a couple are borderline unfair in a couple of spots (I'll explain in a second), but it was a fun course to play for the most part.
Hole 14 was a straightaway short par-4, around 300 yards. Hit the drive of the weekend for me and it landed just left of the front edge, hopped up on the green, and had to have taken a peek going by based on where it ended up. Get to the green, flexed for the guys in front if us, then was told by I think Cosmos to have fun with that putt. Whatever, I had 20 feet uphill for eagle. Hit a decent putt that should have finished inside a foot for a tap in birdie, but ended up 15 feet away, ala Payne Stewart at Olympic. Managed to leave my second putt past the hole and tapped in for the ever-popular 3 putt par. Just to keep you naysayers happy, I actually missed a handful of fairways this round, but it was obvious to me that the ball was not curving as much when I missed it, and that is mostly what I'm looking for when I change drivers. I'll have to play my home course to see if it's noticeably longer, but so far it definitely is straighter and longer on misses for me.

I know that was like reading a novel, but I wanted to give as detailed and comprehensive recap of the weekend as I could (at least could recall). Thanks again to GolfWRX, Taylormade, Tom, and Ryan for a very memorable weekend that I'm sure all of us enjoyed more than we can express.
[/quote]

Is the 7.5 launch angle a typo?

I was fit into a 430/Oban W 65x combo, it's a bomber!

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1396847991' post='9036497']
Is the 7.5 launch angle a typo?

I was fit into a 430/Oban W 65x combo, it's a bomber!
[/quote]

Doesn't seem like it, but the thing still WENT!

[quote name='Hoover98' timestamp='1396846323' post='9036409']

I think the low LA avg. was more a product of my reaction to the pain, causing me to almost stand up at impact.
[/quote]

Scratch...unfortunately, no... I have always had a low launch angle due to a negative AOA, caused by sliding forward too much. At 38, I'm just convinced it's in my genes. My brother does it, also...

Best launch angle I've ever gotten on a monitor was around 11, but it was 10 years ago...

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

[quote name='Hoover98' timestamp='1396856194' post='9036717']
Who's "current" driver will be the first up on the BST?
[/quote]

I was willing to toss my current driver in the water on 17 at Sawgrass after seeing how poorly of a fit it is lol.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Custom Lajosi DD201

WITB

I have not had time to read all 28 pages so far but on the last few pages i am noticing very, very low launch angles on the final fitted driver. I thought the goal was to get to 17 LA?

Titleist Tsr2 9* / TPT Power 17Lo
Titleist Tsr3 15* / Ventus OG blue 7s

Callaway UW 21* / Fujikura motore VC 8s 
Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW / C taper r 110
Titleist SM9 raw 50.54.58 LZ 5.5
Titleist ProV1
LAB DF 3