DeNinny's Blade vs CB Experiment and Data

DeNinny

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1399904768' post='9278731']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1399778059' post='9271551'] [size=6][b]Ok All. I'm going to bow out of my own thread now.[/b][/size] I've said literally everything I have to say about the blades vs CB debate and so have nothing left to share in regards to personal knowledge and opinion on the matter. [/quote]

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1399808442' post='9272451'] [size=6][b]To All, I could not help myself[/b][/size] and come back for [color=#FF0000][size=7][b]just one more post[/b][/size][/color] due to such an excellent question from Startzel. [/quote]

An "engineer" claiming to present "data" and then presents NONE,,,,,,,,,,,

And then can't keep his word,,,,,, not once, not twice,,,,,,,,, but who's counting ??? :fool:

Excellennnnnnnnnnt,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :man_in_love::man_in_love::man_in_love::good:
[/quote]

gopherguts welcome back and once again I thank you for your positive and valued comments to this thread. The readers need only research all your posts to this thread to see that you represent golfwrx membership so well in the spirit of a positive environment*. I wish I could like it 10x. I believe I have clarified all everything you state already so I don't know how to respond to this.

Side note: I can see that you have a very high post count. You must be a prolific one. I'm sure then that you are very familiar with the rules of conduct. Are you familiar with rule 1.2?

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1399945104' post='9283255']
OP, I appreciate your response, right up till the last quip you threw in. Not once did I criticize you or put in an insult. I guess that's just where this thread has gone.

And now I want a shot so I can feel like part of the group. Maybe after 7 yrs and with more practice than most, changing to a cb would help you lower ur hcp. ;)
[/quote]

Jackjv21. I will send you a PM to apologize as well, but I meant no quip. [b] I'm so sorry and I apologize if I offended you[/b]. I made a jest as an engineer to engineer and I forgot that you had not read all of this thread. I truly would want your input and meant it with sincerity.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='golfwb' timestamp='1399941865' post='9282871']
I just want one of these posts to be started by a golfer who is low single digits or scratch. All that I have seen are mid handicappers trying to rationalize there decision.
Front pin mis hit or over water hazard a miss hit with a blade, its going to be penile. Hole a cb or gi on the green or just short. But it appears as though they would rather be short and not have a chance to have a birdie putt.
It sounds like I'm wrong but I would rather have a chance for birdie and a for sure par rather than a lost ball or an up and down for par
[/quote]

Agreed. To be fair to the OP though, he wasn't trying to defend himself, he was trying to defend Sean2. So at least he's not doing it for himself.

[quote name=mindonrad1953' timestamp='1399945921' post='9283357']
I just want one of these posts to be started by a golfer who is low single digits or scratch. All that I have seen are mid handicappers trying to rationalize there decision.
Front pin mis hit or over water hazard a miss hit with a blade, its going to be penile. Hole a cb or gi on the green or just short. But it appears as though they would rather be short and not have a chance to have a birdie putt.
It sounds like I'm wrong but I would rather have a chance for birdie and a for sure par rather than a lost ball or an up and down for par
[/quote]

I never have a penile mishit.
[/quote]
:cheesy:
Ouch! Yeah talk about feedback.

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1399947694' post='9283643']
Sorry Deninny, I had my sarcasm meter turned off and took it the wrong way. Please continue with the threads for I found it very, very informative. I hope you could give us some reviews as well. I dig ur writing style sir. :)
[/quote]

I'll buy you that shot someday and thank you. My sarcasm meter is through the roof from all my responses to this so I'm sure it exacerbated the matter.

Thanks for the comments about my writing style. I'm not much of a 'ho so I don't review much. I do like to take care in my choice of words and also play with words a lot. And also I try my best to read posts carefully too. If you re-read this thread you will get a sense of my style and may discover the "experiment within the experiment". I start it out subtly but I eventually reveal it somewhat. That experiment is still in progress. Startzel has sensed it and I think cloozoe is onto it too.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1399945921' post='9283357']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are these penile mishits?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDm_eKwoYA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDm_eKwoYA[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbabOyydsMY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbabOyydsMY[/url]

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1399950554' post='9284015']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1399945921' post='9283357']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are these penile mishits?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDm_eKwoYA[/media]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbabOyydsMY[/media]
[/quote]

Very unforgiving on both counts. I could not tell but they must have been using blades.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='MikeG' timestamp='1399947361' post='9283609']
[quote name=mindonrad1953' timestamp='1399945921' post='9283357']
[/quote]

[/quote]
:cheesy:
Ouch! Yeah talk about feedback.
[/quote]

How many mulligans do you take?

Registered Bladeocrat

So how about we go over the top in the other direction.

For all of you saying that the blade users are crazy, are you using an AP1 or it's equivalent? Are you using a Nike slingshot or what ever their biggest shovel is?

Why are you "only" using an ap2 when an ap1 is clearly more forgiving? Should everyone be using the biggest "most forgiving" iron possible? Is it looks? Workability? Sole grind? Why isn't every blade detractor using the biggest most forgiving club possible. Because if you're using an AP2 or a "players CB" but you're still trying to convince blade users that they're idiots for not using something more forgiving then I'm sorry, but your opinion is void.

The reason blade users use blades are pretty much exactly the same as the reasons some people use ap2's. They like the looks better, they like less offset, they like the turf interaction, they like the smaller profile. For some reason though, an AP2 user must be an idiot because he doesn't use an ap1.

Forgiveness is about 4th on my list for what I want in an iron. I realize I'm under scratch.

So here's my question: Do the same people telling us we shouldn't be using blades because of forgiveness tell the AP2 user that he's an idiot for not using an AP1?

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1399962441' post='9284729']

For all of you saying that the blade users are crazy, are you using an AP1 or it's equivalent? Are you using a Nike slingshot or what ever their biggest shovel is?

Why are you "only" using an ap2 when an ap1 is clearly more forgiving? Should everyone be using the biggest "most forgiving" iron possible? Is it looks? Workability? Sole grind? Why isn't every blade detractor using the biggest most forgiving club possible. Because if you're using an AP2 or a "players CB" but you're still trying to convince blade users that they're idiots for not using something more forgiving then I'm sorry, but your opinion is void.

The reason blade users use blades are pretty much exactly the same as the reasons some people use ap2's. They like the looks better, they like less offset, they like the turf interaction, they like the smaller profile. For some reason though, an AP2 user must be an idiot because he doesn't use an ap1.

Forgiveness is about 4th on my list for what I want in an iron. I realize I'm under scratch.

So here's my question: Do the same people telling us we shouldn't be using blades because of forgiveness tell the AP2 user that he's an idiot for not using an AP1?
[/quote]

Yes please. . . . . . . . . . .I believe Startzel plays AP2s!!! Just imagine how many strokes he's giving up. Pure ego.

[/quote]

I'd be interested if in answering this, then what the difference would be if the clubs were MP-60 and MP-67 and why there would be a different argument. At what point do you make a distinction? Two levels of GI improvement difference, as defined by manufacturer? Three?

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1399962883' post='9284751']

[/quote]

I'd be interested if in answering this, then what the difference would be if the clubs were MP-60 and MP-67 and why there would be a different argument. At what point do you make a distinction? Two levels of GI improvement difference, as defined by manufacturer? Three?
[/quote]Right? So to stick with Mizuno: Is 825 pro "forgiving enough" because to me that's a huge shovel. I like them but they're pretty big. Why not go all the way to regular 825. Or what about Mp53? Is that better then Mp 60? Or better than Mp4? Where is the line? Does everyone who say's blade's are for dreamers have to be using an 825 regular or are they still allowed to be using an 825 pro? When is it ok for me to decide which club I'm allowed to use?

I'm just saying, if you're not using the absolute most forgiving club out there, then you don't have a leg to stand on as far as telling me my clubs aren't forgiving enough.

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1399920122' post='9280521']
In my opinion if when starting to play I had started with a true blade or a sgi, the differences would not be detectable. [b]In the beginning while learning the basics, the true capabilities of each would not be achievable[/b]. As progression moves forward, and a true swing has been carved out, that's when I have to start to disagree with the op.
[/quote]

Jackjv21 this quote bolded by you (I told you I read carefully) is the attitude I think that contributes to the fear of blades. Allow me to rephrase it based on my experience as a 16 when I first got those 67s: [b] the true capabilities of each would not be achievable, [i]as frequently as if I were a better player[/i][/b]. See the distinction? Your statement is an absolute. Mine is not. What I found is that every now and then I would hit a good shot with one. As an engineer, think of the dispersion of a bad player, it's a wider circle than the better player, right? But guess what, there's still wear in the very middle on both clubs which means both players can hit the sweetspot. There's one catch though at that level: you have to work at your swing a lot and have that "good action" that I think OldPlayer stated at the beginning of this thread.

Registered Bladeocrat

Why are you "only" using an ap2 when an ap1 is clearly more forgiving? Should everyone be using the biggest "most forgiving" iron possible? Is it looks? Workability? Sole grind? Why isn't every blade detractor using the biggest most forgiving club possible. Because if you're using an AP2 or a "players CB" but you're still trying to convince blade users that they're idiots for not using something more forgiving then I'm sorry, but your opinion is void
[/quote]

No one has argued you must play the most forgiving club that exists. Everyone has said you should play a club relative to your skill level.

I play an AP2 because that is what the club fitter recommended for me. As a 1.7, it seems like a reasonable club selection, no?

I have a hard time believing a fitter would suggest a 9-15 handicap to play a blade.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1399979341' post='9285061']
Why are you "only" using an ap2 when an ap1 is clearly more forgiving? Should everyone be using the biggest "most forgiving" iron possible? Is it looks? Workability? Sole grind? Why isn't every blade detractor using the biggest most forgiving club possible. Because if you're using an AP2 or a "players CB" but you're still trying to convince blade users that they're idiots for not using something more forgiving then I'm sorry, but your opinion is void
[/quote]

No one has argued you must play the most forgiving club that exists. Everyone has said you should play a club relative to your skill level.

I play an AP2 because that is what the club fitter recommended for me. As a 1.7, it seems like a reasonable club selection, no?

I have a hard time believing a fitter would suggest a 9-15 handicap to play a blade.
[/quote]

Begging the question of whether "a club fitter" is the last word on the subject, you still sort of dodged what is kind of an interesting question, to wit; if you were to play, say, an AP1 instead of an AP2, would that get you to a + handicap as opposed to 1.7 (which I envy and admire, by the way)? If not, why not?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Im sure your correct that a fitter wouldn't recommend a MB to a 9-15....But I honestly do not think the fitter has the right to ask the handicap and I surely wouldn't tell him. If he cant make a suggestion based on my physical abilities, swing, and my feedback as to what looks right and feels right then you need a new fitter. But fitting is a whole different rant of mine. I have fitted myself with much more success than I ever have had someone else do it. That's just me ..I get more out of working on my own sticks and swapping this or that and going to the range everyday for a week and finding what works... But back to your point...No fitter is going to "recommend" a MB....They are all "selling" technology....Kind of like going into a car dealer... the sales guy isn't going to try to switch you to a corvette...You either are looking for one or not...But he may try to switch you to a hybrid or an electric car..theres a lot of "tech" there to "sell" you on....Its all about what the oems are pushing and which oem your particular golf shop favors.

I once went into an Edwin watts and had cash in my pocket for a new set of MP60 mizunos.... I wanted to hit them once more and find the correct shaft , that's it....I told the 'fitter" that and that I had cash would buy today... he insisted I hit everything Callaway had... I got halfway through and didn't like anything as well as the mp60..i said "well im out of time...can we get on with the 60s now?" he said nope we aren't finished , have to hit these xyz ( I dont remember which) callaway irons... I said no thanks I have to go...and turned and walked out...that's about as mad as I have ever been in a retail shop...that is what started me working on fitting myself...I bought a mp60 set used and 3 different sets of shafts and the rest is a good education in finding what works for me without relying on some hourly sales guy trying to push whatever the bonus is on for the week..

back to your point....lol....A 9-12 or so handicap is in my opinion a very solid player if its a honest cap played from the mens or longer tees....I honeslty see no reason why he couldn't play any iron he wanted...You do realize a 9 cap guy could be one who hits 9-11 greens and just 2 putts everything and doesn't get up and down on the greens he misses?....it happens..surely you don't think an iron swap would net him 100% greens hit ,thus lower cap??.I guess my point is still that handicap is so subjective that I do not believe it to be a valid measuring device for iron fitting when we are talking 15 and below....above that maybe its a consideration ...but I still say play whatever you want to....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Startzel, you ask if we think AP2s are a "reasonable" choice for your handicap. This is the basic flaw in your premise.

You'd have to give me a stroke and a half a side; I play MP4s. I don't care if you think that's reasonable.

I've tried AP2s; can't stand em. If a fitter recommended them, I'd pass. After several decades of experimentation, I know what club heads serve my swing the best. If you don't think that approach is reasonable, then I can't really help you understand.

It's not math. It's golf. I'm not Iron Byron. I'm a human. I don't care what Byron gets the best results with. I only care about my results, and they are real.

Your entire argument is over once you choose a less forgiving club than the most forgiving club.

It could be about math if manufacturers would collect data: on real world golfers and their real world scores. Its funny, moreover ironic, that I have been asked, several times, even several times by the same poster, where my data was, yet not one manufacturer has provided even close to the same. Ive only seen iron byron data or limited actual golfer data. Why dont the naysayers challenge and create a post about that?

Registered Bladeocrat

[/quote]

[size=5][u][b]No one[/b][/u][/size] has argued for you to play the most forgiving club that exists. Everyone has said or suggested one should play a club relative to one's skill level.

[/quote]

isaac and the boys use "beauty" as a reason to buy blades but probably wouldn't accept one not choosing to play " big and ugly shovels" for the same reasons. So they try to twist your argument - it's the best they can do.

And even though [u]not a single CB proponent[/u] has SAID people should use the [u]most forgiving clubs possible[/u] he uses THAT as a "weapon". Pretty pathetic.

Save your breath my friend. "They" ain't having any of it. They're out of powder so in desperation they'll throw their "bullets" at you.

They know, as a lower single digit, you (probably) want a combination of forgiveness AND workability which the AP2 provides, not to mention a club that most likely suits your eye.

So their argument is smoke and mirrors because they have no more ammo to "defend" the choice. Telling them, or anybody else, that they should play anything they want for whatever reason(s) they want apparently isn't good enough..

When they resort to ridiculous points like these they have no intention of having a reasonable discussion. Wait'll you see ol' Geohans resort to name calling when he gets really frustrated - he's pretty creative (in that anyway) - I'll give him that. :good:

I'll simply note that the OP is an 11 (is that right ? Too lazy to go back and look). I wonder what ol' isaac would say if DeNinny was a 28 and wanted to play blades ? :shok:

Wait. I know. He should play anything he wants for whatever reason(s) he wants,,,,,,,, Frankly, I agree,,,,,,, (cool)

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1399991431' post='9285955']
It could be about math if manufacturers would collect data: on real world golfers and their real world scores. Its funny, moreover ironic, that I have been asked, several times, even several times by the same poster, where my data was, yet not one manufacturer has provided even close to the same. Ive only seen iron byron data or limited actual golfer data. Why dont the naysayers challenge and create a post about that?
[/quote]

No DeNinny, it CAN'T be about data.

You claimed to have some and it turned out you had NONE, just another opinion - not that there's anything wrong with that..

EVERY shot is different. Like snowflakes, NO 2 shots are the same.

So Iron Byron, opinions and "best guesses" will have to do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, until/if someone can come up with a better idea,,,,,,,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I think to say Startzel hasn't said or at the very least insinuated that "every player should play the most forgiving irons possible" is not correct. That most certainly has been the argument through this thread and the last one he shut down. As in when he said sean2 was "intellectually dishonest:" with his argument that the TM MB fit him well and he scored better with it. Is that not an insinuation that Sean "knows he should be playing a more forgiving iron and that by not saying that he is being dishonest in his argument".??????? How is that not a veiled statement that "every player should be playing the most forgiving iron possible" lest he/she be accused of being untrue to themselves ???????? Now that he is caught in the crossfire of his own argument I would be careful who you cast your lot in with....
that being said maybe you didn't see the Sean2 thread that spawned several others lately...For the record I agree with you 100% we should all play whatever we want...Youll never see me start a "blade thread" for that reason.. but I cant help but provide the opposite side of the argument when someone tries to get on the pulpit of forgiveness and proclaim that any and all over a 5 cap should play SGI....Its bologna pure and simple...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

lol just noticed......Notice how he was sure to say a "9-15 handicap"....this is another veiled attack...as I remember Sean2 is a 9 handicap... what a piece of ...work

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1399994327' post='9286349']
lol just noticed......Notice how he was sure to say a "9-15 handicap"....this is another veiled attack...as I remember Sean2 is a 9 handicap... what a piece of ...work
[/quote]
Bladehunter please lets not assume this was intentional as it may bring negativity back here.

With 7000 views now the readers are well aware of the credibility and validity of all of our posts. Im sure in reading his recent post they have a feel for his intent and can read into it or not.

Registered Bladeocrat

[/quote]

[/quote]

Even a 1.7 misses the middle of the face sometimes. Dufner uses AP2's and he is way above your skill level. You will probably save yourself some strokes by playing AP1's.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1399995633' post='9286515']
[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1399994327' post='9286349']
[/quote]
Bladehunter please lets not assume this was intentional as it may bring negativity back here.

With 7000 views now the readers are well aware of the credibility and validity of all of our posts. Im sure in reading his recent post they have a feel for his intent and can read into it or not.
[/quote]

my apologies.... I really am not nasty by nature...but cant understand why anyone would defend someone who quickly turned to name calling etc his 1st time at bat...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='cloozoe' timestamp='1399995994' post='9286551']
Bladehunter

I saw from your signature that you're a 2-35 handicap; want to buy a set of Cleveland Altitudes?
[/quote]

lol not sure where that came from...it ranges from low of 2.3 to 4 back down now that weather is good.... love your sig pic by the way ..is that Jim neighbors or Ray stevens...cant tell

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock