2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Why the american doesn't play on the european tour ????????

[quote name='ronstelten' timestamp='1404156769' post='9609501']
[quote name='francis89' timestamp='1404156063' post='9609405']
Why move to another continent to play when the best courses, competition, and most money is to be made in America?
[/quote]

In my post I said this, "In my opinion most American golfers would be better served by playing golf oversees as a pathway to the PGA Tour but are not worldly enough to try golf outside of America." I'll stick to that.
[/quote]

I'll agree with you that the Euro Tour might be a decent warm-up tour for the Show, but I'm not sure that it's any better than the other minor tours. Hogan/Nike/Buy.com/Nationwide/Web.com grads have done just fine on the big tour for decades. How would playing in sweaters overseas prepare them better for the Show?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='randywildman' timestamp='1404177435' post='9612181']
An exception to the the rule. Brooks Koepka, as soon as he earned PGA status, guess what he quit the tour and moved back to Join the PGA.

The PGA tour has the best golfers and more money.

Our Ryder cup players need more heart late on Saturday and Pride on Sunday to really win the Ryder cup consistently, plus slightly better putting :)
[/quote]Koepka quit the Euro Tour?????? ....he's playing in France this week & the Euro Tour event next week too.... I assume he's trying to qualify for the Open

[quote name='ronstelten' timestamp='1404158892' post='9609821']
[quote name='quickstrike10' timestamp='1404158204' post='9609703']
Money as many has stated. If most of the British Opens are any indication, howling winds, rain, waist deep grass where you will never find a ball, and a look that is comparable to pinehurst this year that not many of them liked probably isn't that enticing. Not that anything is wrong with the courses, but I would much rather play in the states myself. The British Open being a major is the only reason they all play in it.
[/quote]

A perfect example of what I have said, "…... but are not worldly enough to try golf outside of America." Most PGA European Tour events are played on parkland golf courses with nice weather.
[/quote]

Then why do they drown us in the, "European style game" and "this is the way golf is supposed to be" rhetoric every British Open? Don't get me wrong, I dig the links layout, but I think it's a novelty. If no PGA Tour events are like that, and most Euro Tour events aren't like that, then is it really how golf is "supposed to be?" Because it surely isn't how high-level golf is; not even on the Euro Tour (as you note).

I didn't see any peach baskets or two-handed set shots in the NBA Finals.

[quote name='Ashley Schaeffer' timestamp='1404186334' post='9613287']
Money as many has stated. If most of the British Opens are any indication, howling winds, rain, waist deep grass where you will never find a ball, and a look that is comparable to pinehurst this year that not many of them liked probably isn't that enticing. Not that anything is wrong with the courses, but I would much rather play in the states myself. The British Open being a major is the only reason they all play in it.
[/quote]

A perfect example of what I have said, "…... but are not worldly enough to try golf outside of America." Most PGA European Tour events are played on parkland golf courses with nice weather.
[/quote]

Then why do they drown us in the, "European style game" and "this is the way golf is supposed to be" rhetoric every British Open? Don't get me wrong, I dig the links layout, but I think it's a novelty. If no PGA Tour events are like that, and most Euro Tour events aren't like that, then is it really how golf is "supposed to be?" Because it surely isn't how high-level golf is; not even on the Euro Tour (as you note).
[/quote]

Because the European Tour is really the Europe, Africa, Asia and Australiasia Tour and there are only 3 events that could even qualify as hosting Links golf due to their location - Irish open, Scottish Open and the British Open (plus I guess the Dunhill Links in October). Add in the fact that most of the links courses are not geared up for hosting ET events and the lack of sponsorship money in Britain and there is your answer.

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1404172896' post='9611597']
Yesterday I watched the end of the European event....sponsored by BMW no less....there may have been 200 people standing around the final green.

There were almost 3,000 crowded around the 18th at Victoria National for the Web.com event.

Where there are people and exposure there is more money.

It really wouldn't surprise me to see a merger of the PGA Tour and Euro Tour in a few more years. Greg Norman's dream finally coming true.

If the Euro's are smart they will make their deal while they're relatively strong. They wait too long and the it will be Euro Tour to qualify for Web.com just to get a chance to make it to the PGA Tour.
[/quote]
You must have watched a different event because I saw a few thousand watching the playoff, which given that golf is not a major sport in Germany, the final round started early due to bad weather and the US Open champiion missed the cut was pretty creditable.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='Bingo1976' timestamp='1404192199' post='9613689']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Because the European Tour is really the Europe, Africa, Asia and Australiasia Tour and there are only 3 events that could even qualify as hosting Links golf due to their location - Irish open, Scottish Open and the British Open (plus I guess the Dunhill Links in October). Add in the fact that most of the links courses are not geared up for hosting ET events and the lack of sponsorship money in Britain and there is your answer.[/quote]

It sounds like you agree that the British Open doesn't showcase the modern game of golf.
If the Euro Tour played a different brand of golf, it would make the argument that it's close to the same level as the PGA Tour stronger.
However, since (as I've learned today) the Euro Tour plays the same brand of golf, it makes it very difficult to argue that it's anything more than a watered-down version of the big tour.

[quote name='andef' timestamp='1404167293' post='9610941']
On the European Tour, just like on the PGA Tour, non-members are only exempt if they are in the top 50. Outside of that, they will need a sponsor's invite. Unless an American player has obvious ties with a sponsor, it doesn't make sense to extend an invite to a guy like Russell Henley (if he was planning on playing a tournament in Europe, that is) when a local amateur can benefit from the tournament experience before he turns pro. That is the reason why low profile US players don't play on the European Tour even if they wanted to.
In the top 50, there are multiple guys who hold both PGA Tour and European Tour cards and those who don't play a few tournaments on the European Tour when there are sufficient financial reasons to do so. Think of Phil playing in Abu Dhabi or in the Scottish Open back when it was sponsored by Barclays.

Why did Kaymer play in the BMW International Open last week? Because it was in his home country. Why did Justin Rose play at Congressional? He had no attachment to the tournament in Germany and prize money was 3/4 times greater at the Quicken Loans National.

Some guys on here will insist that it has to do with the quality of the golf courses, which couldn't be further from the truth. The US has a plethora of great golf courses, just as Europe does in smaller amounts. In Europe there is a much greater variety in course design and many of these are outside the comfort zone of US players who are used to parkland courses. In the end it's about comfort and earning potential. American players can earn much more on a weekly basis on the PGA Tour and have a better chance of doing so consistently on courses they are familiar with.

If you don't like this explanation. I can go with the classless route just as our good old patrick421 did earlier in this threat. Europe has better food, prettier cities and more attractive females. Our fast food chains are limited to McDonalds and Burger King. Can you imagine a guy like Stadler surviving more than a week without a visit to Taco Bell, Wendy's or the like? Life is better in Europe and it's hard to accept it when one is used to mediocrity. It's hard to fit in in a place where one doesn't belong.
And before all the proud Americans start attacking me, I'm not taking about the life of the every day Joe. I'm referring to the life of luxury people who earn 1-2M$ on a yearly basis can afford. About the guy who doesn't care about the economy tanking or the high level of unemployment, who can travel wherever he wants whenever he wants, eat in the most exclusive restaurants and so on.
[/quote]

I couldn't say it better

[quote name='ronstelten' timestamp='1404179479' post='9612453']
There seems to be two discussions going on with this post. One is about players who have made it on another about players trying to make it.

As far as players who have made it, the PGA Tour is far and away the place to play.

For players trying to make it, my opinion is that they have a better chance at becoming good players by tuning their skills in Europe than on any second tour in the US. Example one: is the high number of players who graduate from the web.com tour to the PGA Tour only to lose their card when they play with the big boys.

To clear up another one of my points. Most Americans are not worldly enough to try golf out side of the USA. It is not the money that holds them back, too many think that the golfing worlds sun, rises and sets only on the good old USofA.
[/quote]

I entirely agree with you, I bet that even if the european tournament prize money was as or even higher than the PGA Tour, they wouldn't be willing to go abroad

[quote name='Ashley Schaeffer' timestamp='1404195480' post='9613795']
the final round started early due to bad weather
[/quote]

I'm shocked...
[/quote]

If you can show me that the US Tour does not have it's share of weather delays then you may well be right to be shocked, however I do recall the WGC in Arizona getting snowed off, plus numerous thunderstorms etc that interrupt many PGA events, as they do around the world.

Plus of course, you have the joys of Tornado Alley in the mid-west, bush fires in California, Hurricanes on the East Coat and Gulf states etc etc. The US is hardly famed for it's moderate year round weather.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='Bingo1976' timestamp='1404196911' post='9613863']
[/quote]

I'm shocked...
[/quote]

If you can show me that the US Tour does not have it's share of weather delays then you may well be right to be shocked, however I do recall the WGC in Arizona getting snowed off, plus numerous thunderstorms etc that interrupt many PGA events, as they do around the world.

Plus of course, you have the joys of Tornado Alley in the mid-west, bush fires in California, Hurricanes on the East Coat and Gulf states etc etc. The US is hardly famed for it's moderate year round weather.
[/quote]

The US has its share of inclement weather, that is for sure. Who can forget the annual b[r]ush fire delays at Riviera and Torrey Pines, the tornados at Southern Hills, and how Sawgrass gets pelted by hurricane winds every year during the Players? But, if you are trying to say that the Euro Tour has weather as nice as the main tour on any given week, then I'm not sure you are correct.

[quote name='Ashley Schaeffer' timestamp='1404198249' post='9613905']
[/quote]

I'm shocked...
[/quote]

[/quote]

The US has its share of inclement weather, that is for sure. Who can forget the annual b[r]ush fire delays at Riviera and Torrey Pines, the tornados at Southern Hills, and how Sawgrass gets pelted by hurricane winds every year during the Players? But, if you are trying to say that the Euro Tour has weather as nice as the main tour on any given week, then I'm not sure you are correct.
[/quote]

There are certainly greater climatic variations on the ET - but then isn't that part of golf? I don't want to watch golf played in perfect conditions every week on identikit courses that could be anywhere in the upper 48. But to say that the US Tour never has bad weather is a mis-statement.

[quote name='Bingo1976' timestamp='1404199232' post='9613933']
[/quote]

I'm shocked...
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

to say that the US Tour never has bad weather is a mis-statement.
[/quote]

Isn't that the truth? Good thing nobody said that.

[quote name='Ashley Schaeffer' timestamp='1404195286' post='9613791']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Because the European Tour is really the Europe, Africa, Asia and Australiasia Tour and there are only 3 events that could even qualify as hosting Links golf due to their location - Irish open, Scottish Open and the British Open (plus I guess the Dunhill Links in October). Add in the fact that most of the links courses are not geared up for hosting ET events and the lack of sponsorship money in Britain and there is your answer.[/quote]

It sounds like you agree that the British Open doesn't showcase the modern game of golf.
If the Euro Tour played a different brand of golf, it would make the argument that it's close to the same level as the PGA Tour stronger.
However, since (as I've learned today) the Euro Tour plays the same brand of golf, it makes it very difficult to argue that it's anything more than a watered-down version of the big tour.
[/quote]

It is very late but I want to start something. My next GolfWRX article will be on just this subject. Every great player that golf has known has won The Open Championship. There are players who have won majors but there is a big difference between winners of majors and winners of The Open. Winning The Open Championship played on a links course is what sets very good players from great players.

[quote name='Bingo1976' timestamp='1404199232' post='9613933']
[/quote]

I'm shocked...
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There are certainly greater climatic variations on the ET - but then isn't that part of golf? I don't want to watch golf played in perfect conditions every week on identikit courses that could be anywhere in the upper 48. But to say that the US Tour never has bad weather is a mis-statement.
[/quote]

Wait, do you have a bias against the US? Seriously, among every post I've ever read of yours, I can't really tell /sarcasm.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='ronstelten' timestamp='1404199666' post='9613943']

It is very late but I want to start something. My next GolfWRX article will be on just this subject. Every great player that golf has known has won The Open Championship. There are players who have won majors but there is a big difference between winners of majors and winners of The Open. Winning The Open Championship played on a links course is what sets very good players from great players.
[/quote]

I think that sounds like a great, and very interesting, topic.

If everyone agrees that the highest level of golf is played on the PGA Tour, and the PGA Tour plays a certain type of golf course, then why has every great player also been able to win the British Open on a true links layout? It must just come down to the fact that they are better at getting the ball in the hole than others. Every 10 handicap in the world can probably adjust to course conditions. It certainly, therefore, stands to reason that the best players in the world can also do so.

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1404200171' post='9613949']

Wait, do you have a bias against the US? Seriously, among every post I've ever read of yours, I can't really tell /sarcasm.
[/quote]

As far as the PGA Tour as a package (coverage, commentary, fans) then no, I am not keen, and prefer the European Tour. I also object to the State of Delaware stealing my legally held shares and holding me to ransom to prove that I am the rightful owner of said shares, but that's hardly related to golf, and I will adhere to forum posting rules and not discuss politics :)

Ah yes another thing I don't like on the PGA Tour, It's the control room, When I watch the PGA tour thanks to Golf + HD channel in France, we only see 1m30 of gameplay, then we have 30 sec of adds and then they show the learderboard for about one minute, thus we don't see much gameplay which is quite boring to watch unfortunately, i can't count how many time they show the Master's bridge with the ledearboard for ages.... Hopefully the european tour is not like that even if we have some add times to times. if the european tour coverage was like the PGa tour, 8e month subscription wouldn't be worth it

[quote name='ronstelten' timestamp='1404199666' post='9613943']
[/quote]

There have also been some utter one hit wonders like Bill Rogers, Paul Lawrie, Todd Hamilton, Ben Curtis, and of course IBF (please note not all are US players, so no bias being shown by me)

As many others stated, it's the money. For some US players, they don't have a US Tour card but managed to qualify for a Euro Tour card.

The reason so many Euros play on the US Tour is that's where the money is. Most reside in Florida where's no state income tax. I don't know if they have to pay state income taxes in states where they earn money. My wife works in Washington, DC but doesn't pay DC taxes, we live in Virginia and pay state tax there.

money rules another decision on where to play - i would think it would be a tough road for a family guy but if you're single i think it would be great to play in different countries/cultures every week. would be like a combination job/vacation.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

this topic was brought up and discussed earlier this year in february titled [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/976708-americans-overseas/page__p__8745360__hl__+american#entry8745360"]"Americans overseas"[/url]. i pointed out that "....83 Americans were at the european tour q school this year with 4 who got cards for the 2014 season" along with giving a tip of the cap to peter uihlein and brooks koepka being a spark for that surge. connor arendell is one of those 4 who got status for this year....he's been around here and there making his way. 23 years old, played at the university of central florida and is from cape coral, florida. with the route to the PGA Tour from the web.com tour being changed, i think a lof of these young guys see more merit going overseas, getting the "worldly" experience as mentioned for a few years then ultimately setting their sights for the PGA Tour

i actually like seeing that perspective to broaden your horizon and giving a look at what else is going on in the world. especially with golf, you can build lifelong relationships that don't necessarily have to be limited to the US. i'm learning a lot from doing the european tour tournament threads....absolutely spectacular courses on that side of the pond and behind the scenes efforts for how they organize everything each week for those guys. i've said it before and will again i've got a list of places that my bank account needs to afford because i'm very intriuged with what i've seen. more power to the americans going over there to play this wonderful game!

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1404219692' post='9614713']
this topic was brought up and discussed earlier this year in february titled [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/976708-americans-overseas/page__p__8745360__hl__+american#entry8745360"]"Americans overseas"[/url]. i pointed out that "....83 Americans were at the european tour q school this year with 4 who got cards for the 2014 season" along with giving a tip of the cap to peter uihlein and brooks koepka being a spark for that surge. connor ardnell is one of those 4 who got status for this year....he's been around here and there making his way. 23 years old, played at the university of central florida and is from cape coral, florida. with the route to the PGA Tour from the web.com tour being changed, i think a lof of these young guys see more merit going overseas, getting the "worldly" experience as mentioned for a few years then ultimately setting their sights for the PGA Tour

i actually like seeing that perspective to broaden your horizon and giving a look at what else is going on in the world. especially with golf, you can build lifelong relationships that don't necessarily have to be limited to the US. i'm learning a lot from doing the european tour tournament threads....absolutely spectacular courses on that side of the pond and behind the scenes efforts for how they organize everything each week for those guys. i've said it before and will again i've got a list of places that my bank account needs to afford because i'm very intriuged with what i've seen. more power to the americans going over there to play this wonderful game!
[/quote]

Nice post

On the European Tour, just like on the PGA Tour, non-members are only exempt if they are in the top 50. Outside of that, they will need a sponsor's invite. Unless an American player has obvious ties with a sponsor, it doesn't make sense to extend an invite to a guy like Russell Henley (if he was planning on playing a tournament in Europe, that is) when a local amateur can benefit from the tournament experience before he turns pro. That is the reason why low profile US players don't play on the European Tour even if they wanted to.
In the top 50, there are multiple guys who hold both PGA Tour and European Tour cards and those who don't play a few tournaments on the European Tour when there are sufficient financial reasons to do so. Think of Phil playing in Abu Dhabi or in the Scottish Open back when it was sponsored by Barclays.

Why did Kaymer play in the BMW International Open last week? Because it was in his home country. Why did Justin Rose play at Congressional? He had no attachment to the tournament in Germany and prize money was 3/4 times greater at the Quicken Loans National.

Some guys on here will insist that it has to do with the quality of the golf courses, which couldn't be further from the truth. The US has a plethora of great golf courses, just as Europe does in smaller amounts. In Europe there is a much greater variety in course design and many of these are outside the comfort zone of US players who are used to parkland courses. In the end it's about comfort and earning potential. American players can earn much more on a weekly basis on the PGA Tour and have a better chance of doing so consistently on courses they are familiar with.

If you don't like this explanation. I can go with the classless route just as our good old patrick421 did earlier in this threat. Europe has better food, prettier cities and more attractive females. Our fast food chains are limited to McDonalds and Burger King. Can you imagine a guy like Stadler surviving more than a week without a visit to Taco Bell, Wendy's or the like? Life is better in Europe and it's hard to accept it when one is used to mediocrity. It's hard to fit in in a place where one doesn't belong.
And before all the proud Americans start attacking me, I'm not taking about the life of the every day Joe. I'm referring to the life of luxury people who earn 1-2M$ on a yearly basis can afford. About the guy who doesn't care about the economy tanking or the high level of unemployment, who can travel wherever he wants whenever he wants, eat in the most exclusive restaurants and so on.
[/quote]

A threat? Surely that is some kind error perhaps lost in translation.

Bottom line is the PGA tour is the best tour in the world, playing anything else other then the big money tournaments or perhaps tournaments in their home countries is a waste of time. The euro tour is the minors, it's a feeder league for the big tour, as stated earlier it isn't the place anyone would choose if given the option. Talking about fast food, social classes, and quality of life being better in Europe are typical ignorant comments european people use that don't like americans.

I've lived in multiple countries in Europe and there are fat people, dumb people, rude people, nice people, poor people, and rich people just like the United States.

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1404221510' post='9614895']

[/quote]

A threat? Surely that is some kind error perhaps lost in translation.

Bottom line is the PGA tour is the best tour in the world, playing anything else other then the big money tournaments or perhaps tournaments in their home countries is a waste of time. [b]The euro tour is the minors, it's a feeder league for the big tour[/b], as stated earlier it isn't the place anyone would choose if given the option. Talking about fast food, social classes, and quality of life being better in Europe are typical ignorant comments european people use that don't like americans.

I've lived in multiple countries in Europe and there are fat people, dumb people, rude people, nice people, poor people, and rich people just like the United States.
[/quote]

that minor, feeder league tour sure does kick our a** every 2 years.....quite a misguided comment but carry on

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour