2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Why the american doesn't play on the european tour ????????

Hi

i notice that not much american tour players ( I can count on my fingers) play on the european tour whereas european tour player play also on the PGA Tour. Seems that americans only plays on their countryor nearby ( Hawaii). they just come in europe for the British Open and the Ryder Cup/ President Cup.

It's always good to travel abroad and play in differents conditions we're used to.

maybe that's the reason why the american teams lost 2 times in a row the ryder cup, looooool, But if that's the reason stay in your country :p

What do you guys think

CMB

PS: if american tour player don't come in europe to play, they will struggle at the 2018 ryder cup in france on the ALBATROS course at " the golf national". last year Bubba Watson didn't make the cut . Sorry for the mistake in the tittle ( "the")

http://www.pga.com/news/european-tour/bubba-watson-misses-cut-alstom-french-open-blames-distracting-french-fans : ones of the worst excuses !!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they follow the money. I would love the opportunity to travel like that, though. For me, the Euro Tour would be much more interesting, and I like to watch it on TV more due to the better commentary.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='HighSpeedScene' timestamp='1404138408' post='9607269']
Money. Pretty simple really.

Kind of surprised its even a question.
[/quote]

It isn't a question the OP is trying to stir the pot that's all, anyone with half a brain knows the money and life style is why the PGA tour will always be the tour of choice. Despite people thinking the travel is interesting and fun it's also a huge grind and very difficult. The guys on the euro tour aren't on a vacation traveling around playing courses for fun. The ease of travel and the money on the PGA tour is where it begins and ends. Lock up this thread.

edit for spelling*

As everyone mentioned above, Money is the biggest driver. But I would also offer that, commitments to each tour are enough to detract them as well. For example, top tour players (like top 20) can easily move around the tours because they are easy sponsor exemptions, but i think for lesser tour players it is harder to jump around (at least that is how i think it works). Plus the travel would be ridiculous for a PGA player for the potential of a negative payout and a bunch of jet lag.

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1404138848' post='9607321']

[/quote]

It isn't a question [b]the OP is trying to stir the pot that's all[/b], anyone with half a brain knows the money and life style is why the PGA tour will always be the tour of choice. Despite people thinking the travel is interesting and fun it's also a huge grind and very difficult. The guys on the euro tour aren't on a vacation traveling around playing courses for fun. The ease of travel and the money on the PGA tour is where it begins and ends. Lock up this thread.

edit for spelling*
[/quote]

The only one getting stirred up here is you. Try taking a deep breath?

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1404139120' post='9607343']

[/quote]

It isn't a question [b]the OP is trying to stir the pot that's all[/b], anyone with half a brain knows the money and life style is why the PGA tour will always be the tour of choice. Despite people thinking the travel is interesting and fun it's also a huge grind and very difficult. The guys on the euro tour aren't on a vacation traveling around playing courses for fun. The ease of travel and the money on the PGA tour is where it begins and ends. Lock up this thread.

edit for spelling*
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm so stirred up.

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1404139617' post='9607407']

[/quote]

edit for spelling*
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm so stirred up.
[/quote]

Yep, to the extent you tried to tell the OP that the reason American players don't go to Europe is because of a certain female grooming habit...by using Google Translator. :cheesy:

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1404140148' post='9607475'][quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1404139617' post='9607407']

[/quote]

edit for spelling*
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm so stirred up.
[/quote]

Yep, to the extent you tried to tell the OP that the reason American players don't go to Europe is because of a certain female grooming habit...by using Google Translator. :cheesy:[/quote]

Cheesy? I think it's funny. If the guy is gonna throw pot shots at American guys in broken English I can certainly return the favor. Worry about your 11k posts and I'll worry about mine.

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1404137947' post='9607215']
Vos femmes ont bras velu fosses.
[/quote]

Nice

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1404140662' post='9607555']

Cheesy? I think it's funny. If the guy is gonna throw pot shots at American guys in broken English I can certainly return the favor. Worry about your 11k posts and I'll worry about mine.
[/quote]

Oh, now...all in good fun. :friends:

Titleist ProV1x

The better question is why any American golfer would play the Euro tour on a frequent basis. We have better courses, better tournaments in the states and more money to win. Outside of Scotland and Ireland, more golf history as well.

That being said, on the world stage, the US is not producing the best golfers right now.

I think a better question might be guys not quite ready or who aren't qualifying for the PGA tour....would the Euro tour be more of an advantageous route then trying to make it on the Nationwide tour? Didn't the Uhlein kid try the Euro tour first?

Obviously there's more money in the US if you have the option. I believe the purses in many cases are close to double the size. I mean if you can finish 29th and make 70K instead of 32K or whatever....that's a big difference

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Well, I didn't mean that all the american tour player need to play every european tour tournament, MC Ilroy Poulter, Justin Rose and so on and forth play on the PGA tour and aswell on the european tour.

because on the european tour, you play in SA, Dubai, European continent, ASIA, so you play in different conditions, so european tour players know how to score in such conditions, whereas on the USA, you have always the same conditions and courses are more " target golf".

it'd be no surprise if the european team wins the Ryder cup this year :)

Just my opinion, glad to hear that Craig stadler will play the France Open this week

CMB

[quote name='CMBaviator_FR' timestamp='1404152809' post='9609019']
Well, I didn't mean that all the american tour player need to play every european tour tournament, MC Ilroy Poulter, Justin Rose and so on and forth play on the PGA tour and aswell on the european tour.

because on the european tour, you play in SA, Dubai, European continent, ASIA, so you play in different conditions, so european tour players know how to score in such conditions, whereas on the USA, you have always the same conditions and courses are more " target golf".

Just my opinion, glad to hear that Craig stadler will play the France Open this week

CMB
[/quote]

Good for him, but he's not likely going to be a threat to your Ryder Cup chances this time around.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1404152925' post='9609033']

CMB
[/quote]

Good for him, but he's not likely going to be a threat to your Ryder Cup chances this time around.
[/quote]

yeap, but at least he did an effort trying to play on the euopean continent....Let's see if he does better than Bubba :)

Here's my take on it. Imagine the financial obligation for a lesser known or just starting out pro to travel to Europe and play. You would have to have a home base of operations to start with and all the travel and expenses. A lot cheaper to stay here in the good 'ol us of a and play the web.com or maybe even start on the NGA tour. I've heard the NGA tour has exemptions to the web.com if you can win.

[quote name='CMBaviator_FR' timestamp='1404153013' post='9609037']
[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1404152925' post='9609033']

CMB
[/quote]

[/quote]

yeap, but at least he did an effort trying to play on the euopean continent....Let's see if he does better than Bubba :)
[/quote]

He's probably on vacation. Bubba was forced to go. He was as comfortable as you'd be spending a week in the bayou.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

Always amazes me how there are some guys who seem to have their self-esteem tied into the view of the PGA Tour. They get really bent out of shape if the PGA tour is not held in the highest reverence.

The answer is money. It's always money. If a tour started up in China and offered more money, those guys would be learning Mandarin or Cantonese so fast it would make your head spin. If a player is in a situation where the money is equal, then maybe there are some logistical advantages in NA over Europe. But the web.com being the best way? With all the retreads from the PGA Tour on there?

There's a lot more to learn about golf, and even life, on the European tour. But the money won't be as good until Europe gets its house in order and companies can sponsor again. And I think it won't be long before companies in much greater numbers start balking at the numbers the PGA tour is wanting for sponsoring a tournament. There have been a few, but I can see that number rishing quickly. Then things will even out between the tours.

When I got my PGA European Tour card in the early 80's it was possible to try for your card in both America and Europe. For many "want to be" tour players the plan was try for the USA, if you didn't make it go to Europe.

The PGA European Tour had a couple of years when guys qualified for Europe only to follow that by qualifying for USA (Jeff Sluman may have been one, sorry to Jeff if I am wrong). Those guys never played in Europe and some poor guy who just missed his card got screwed.

The PGA European Tour started scheduling its Q School at the same time as the PGA Tour Qualifying School forcing golfers to choose one or the other.

I played in Europe most of the 80's and early 90's. I also played the European Seniors Tour for a few years because of my life time money in Europe. In my opinion most American golfers would be better served by playing golf oversees as a pathway to the PGA Tour but are not worldly enough to try
golf outside of America.

That said, these days the first thing a PGA European Tour card gets you is the chance to buy two or three round the world airline tickets. Takes deep pockets to get a foothold on the European Tour these days.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1404151735' post='9608913']
I think a better question might be guys not quite ready or who aren't qualifying for the PGA tour....would the Euro tour be more of an advantageous route then trying to make it on the Nationwide tour?
[/quote]

Does such a thing as the Nationwide tour exist?

[quote name='Balloon' timestamp='1404155590' post='9609339']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1404151735' post='9608913']
I think a better question might be guys not quite ready or who aren't qualifying for the PGA tour....would the Euro tour be more of an advantageous route then trying to make it on the Nationwide tour?
[/quote]

Does such a thing as the Nationwide tour exist?
[/quote]

In Europe it's called the European Challenge Tour. I by the way was the first American to a European Challenge Tour event. The Rolex Invitational in Geneva, Switzerland.