2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Why the american doesn't play on the european tour ????????

[quote name='francis89' timestamp='1404156063' post='9609405']
Why move to another continent to play when the best courses, competition, and most money is to be made in America?
[/quote]

In my post I said this, "In my opinion most American golfers would be better served by playing golf oversees as a pathway to the PGA Tour but are not worldly enough to try golf outside of America." I'll stick to that.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throwing my 2 cents in.

Forget the money issue and concentrate on what ronstelten said with respect to " not worldly enough." And before you get your guns out and start blazing, I don't believe he meant that in any condensing way, just stating a fact.
I have worked internationally since my retirement from the US Submarine service. Traveled all over the world on business and I am viewed with a different attitude as a "Yank" than most other nationalities. It is a constant thorn in my side that I have to overcome when working with a new group of people. We Americans, are viewed, either real, or imagined as "less worldly" by the majority of the civilized world.
Why would a young American care to subject himself to constantly being under the microscope and thought of as from a second class society?
I find that we, Americans, are the butt of jokes and on more than one occasion have been out to dinner and my local companions have said something, then turned to me with a " present company excluded."
I try to understand the contempt some have for us, but the bottom line is all Americans are not ugly.
Like I said my 2 cents worth.

[quote name='Balloon' timestamp='1404155590' post='9609339']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1404151735' post='9608913']
I think a better question might be guys not quite ready or who aren't qualifying for the PGA tour....would the Euro tour be more of an advantageous route then trying to make it on the Nationwide tour?
[/quote]

Does such a thing as the Nationwide tour exist?
[/quote]

Yes right, web.com tour now....how silly of me.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Money as many has stated. If most of the British Opens are any indication, howling winds, rain, waist deep grass where you will never find a ball, and a look that is comparable to pinehurst this year that not many of them liked probably isn't that enticing. Not that anything is wrong with the courses, but I would much rather play in the states myself. The British Open being a major is the only reason they all play in it.

[quote name='quickstrike10' timestamp='1404158204' post='9609703']
Money as many has stated. If most of the British Opens are any indication, howling winds, rain, waist deep grass where you will never find a ball, and a look that is comparable to pinehurst this year that not many of them liked probably isn't that enticing. Not that anything is wrong with the courses, but I would much rather play in the states myself. The British Open being a major is the only reason they all play in it.
[/quote]

A perfect example of what I have said, "…... but are not worldly enough to try golf outside of America." Most PGA European Tour events are played on parkland golf courses with nice weather.

[quote name='Huddy76' timestamp='1404158951' post='9609827']
I think we will see more Americans playing the euro tour after the change and end of Q school in the US. As for the poster above u realise the Open is played on Links courses the truest form of the game. We have plenty of courses in Europe to rival your best but these are parkland. Poster above Ron....
[/quote]

Not sure that you understood my post. The poster I quoted seemed to imply that all golf in Europe was like that in The Open Championship. My point was that there if far more to golf in Europe than The Open Championship. (FYI In my opinion, The Open Championship is far and away the #1 major and my next article for GOLFWRX will be a story on just that)

[quote name='Balloon' timestamp='1404155590' post='9609339']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1404151735' post='9608913']
I think a better question might be guys not quite ready or who aren't qualifying for the PGA tour....would the Euro tour be more of an advantageous route then trying to make it on the Nationwide tour?
[/quote]

Does such a thing as the Nationwide tour exist?
[/quote]someone above mentioned Peter Uihlein.....also his buddy Brooks Koepka is another....

Koepka played the European Challenge Tour & earned his Euro Tour card in short time with 3 wins (I think it's called the Challenge Tour but I could be mistaken, but you know what I'm talking about)

I think you could see more college stars take this route in the future .....it's a great way for young guys to see the world & expand their golf skills by playing on different type of golf courses

The OP is clearly a joke. It's just that, while France has such fine history and is advanced/sophisticated in many ways culturally,

Humor is not the strong point and may not translate too well. For example, they worship

.i.3.jerry-lewis-nutty-professor-french-love.jpg

C'est Monsieur Love, non?

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

[quote name='ronstelten' timestamp='1404156769' post='9609501']
Why move to another continent to play when the best courses, competition, and most money is to be made in America?
[/quote]

In my post I said this, "In my opinion most American golfers would be better served by playing golf oversees as a pathway to the PGA Tour but are not worldly enough to try golf outside of America." I'll stick to that.
[/quote]
By worldly do you mean financially?
Many golfers have family, friends and business connections in the US that make it possible to go from event to event cost effectively.
They don't have those connections in Europe.
They'd arrive knowing nobody with no one to assist initially.
This makes it logistically prohibitive.
Unless you're dad runs titleist.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

[size=4]On the European Tour, just like on the PGA Tour, non-members are only exempt if they are in the top 50. Outside of that, they will need a sponsor's invite. Unless an American player has obvious ties with a sponsor, it doesn't make sense to extend an invite to a guy like Russell Henley (if he was planning on playing a tournament in Europe, that is) when a local amateur can benefit from the tournament experience before he turns pro. That is the reason why low profile US players don't play on the European Tour even if they wanted to.[/size]
[size=4]In the top 50, there are multiple guys who hold both PGA Tour and European Tour cards and those who don't play a few tournaments on the European Tour when there are sufficient financial reasons to do so. Think of Phil playing in Abu Dhabi or in the Scottish Open back when it was sponsored by Barclays.[/size]

[size=4]Why did Kaymer play in the BMW International Open last week? Because it was in his home country. Why did Justin Rose play at Congressional? He had no attachment to the tournament in Germany and prize money was 3/4 times greater at the Quicken Loans National.[/size]

[size=4]Some guys on here will insist that it has to do with the quality of the golf courses, which couldn't be further from the truth. The US has a plethora of great golf courses, just as Europe does in smaller amounts. In Europe there is a much greater variety in course design and many of these are outside the comfort zone of US players who are used to parkland courses. In the end it's about comfort and earning potential. American players can earn much more on a weekly basis on the PGA Tour and have a better chance of doing so consistently on courses they are familiar with.[/size]

[size=4]If you don't like this explanation. I can go with the classless route just as our good old patrick421 did earlier in this threat. Europe has better food, prettier cities and more attractive females. Our fast food chains are limited to McDonalds and Burger King. Can you imagine a guy like Stadler surviving more than a week without a visit to Taco Bell, Wendy's or the like? Life is better in Europe and it's hard to accept it when one is used to mediocrity. It's hard to fit in in a place where one doesn't belong.[/size]
[size=4]And before all the proud Americans start attacking me, I'm not taking about the life of the every day Joe. I'm referring to the life of luxury people who earn 1-2M$ on a yearly basis can afford. About the guy who doesn't care about the economy tanking or the high level of unemployment, who can travel wherever he wants whenever he wants, eat in the most exclusive restaurants and so on.[/size]

[quote name='monkeynaut' timestamp='1404166197' post='9610805']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Many golfers have family, friends and business connections in the US that make it possible to go from event to event cost effectively.
[/quote]

By worldly I do not mean financially but you make a point I was going to post about.

Few aspiring golfers have the financial backing, ie sponsors to "do it right". Most aspiring golfers are playing hand to mouth golf. They stay in the US because thy think they can gamble their tight budgets and break through. When they fail they have a short drive home.

As I posted earlier, get your PGA European Tour card and the first thing you must do is buy a few round the world airline tickets.

I played tournament golf for the better part of my life. Golf is like any other business, if a golfer does not have the money to do tournament golf right their is little chance that that golfer is going to break through.

If a golfer needs, "golfers have family, friends and business connections in the US that make it possible to go from event to event cost effectively." What else is that golfer compromising because of lack of money!

[quote name='ronstelten' timestamp='1404167551' post='9610985']
[quote name='monkeynaut' timestamp='1404166197' post='9610805']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

By worldly I do not mean financially but you make a point I was going to post about.

Few aspiring golfers have the financial backing, ie sponsors to "do it right". Most aspiring golfers are playing hand to mouth golf. They stay in the US because thy think they can gamble their tight budgets and break through. When they fail they have a short drive home.

As I posted earlier, get your PGA European Tour card and the first thing you must do is buy a few round the world airline tickets.

I played tournament golf for the better part of my life. Golf is like any other business, if a golfer does not have the money to do tournament golf right their is little chance that that golfer is going to break through.

If a golfer needs, "golfers have family, friends and business connections in the US that make it possible to go from event to event cost effectively." What else is that golfer compromising because of lack of money!
[/quote]
Okay. I'm just confused by this "worldly" statement. Because we all know it's about money. Worldliness has nothing to do with it.
You just wrote a post that confirms the financial issue defending a statement that doubled down on this "worldly" comment.

"In my post I said this, "In my opinion most American golfers would be better served by playing golf oversees as a pathway to the PGA Tour but are not worldly enough to try golf outside of America." I'll stick to that."

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1404170654' post='9611353']
Europeans have been emigrating here for centuries.

Rich ones, poor ones, titled, brilliant, criminals.

No surprise that golfers do as well.

[b](I think it's the hot dogs)[/b]
[/quote]

I think its because our McDonalds are better.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1404172120' post='9611497']

[/quote]

[/quote]

La Maison Count de Mac Grande!

Yesterday I watched the end of the European event....sponsored by BMW no less....there may have been 200 people standing around the final green.

There were almost 3,000 crowded around the 18th at Victoria National for the Web.com event.

Where there are people and exposure there is more money.

It really wouldn't surprise me to see a merger of the PGA Tour and Euro Tour in a few more years. Greg Norman's dream finally coming true.

If the Euro's are smart they will make their deal while they're relatively strong. They wait too long and the it will be Euro Tour to qualify for Web.com just to get a chance to make it to the PGA Tour.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1404172120' post='9611497']

[/quote]

[/quote]

You know what they put on french fries in Holland instead of ketchup? Mayonnaise. I've seen 'em do it man, They f'ing drown 'em in that s&*t.

Whatever rare and special life experiences a young player could get in Europe, and could MAYBE pay off later in the long run, don't seem attractive enough to almost any of the top new players.

Have to agree that the son of a Titleist biggie probably shouldn't even count in this discussion.

Same thing as telling a young player to stay in college or stay an amateur. Lydia Ko could maybe regret not going to school later on when she's over 30, but right now those six figure checks have to seem pretty nice.

[quote name='CMBaviator_FR' timestamp='1404152809' post='9609019']
Well, I didn't mean that all the american tour player need to play every european tour tournament, MC Ilroy Poulter, Justin Rose and so on and forth play on the PGA tour and aswell on the european tour.

because on the european tour, you play in SA, Dubai, European continent, ASIA, so you play in different conditions, so european tour players know how to score in such conditions, whereas on the USA, you have always the same conditions and courses are more " target golf".

it'd be no surprise if the european team wins the Ryder cup this year :)

Just my opinion, glad to hear that Craig stadler will play the France Open this week

CMB
[/quote]

Don't let Bubba Watson soil your taste for american golfers respecting Europe's countries and courses. He is a simple hill billy I'm sure you have those in France as well.

An exception to the the rule. Brooks Koepka, as soon as he earned PGA status, guess what he quit the tour and moved back to Join the PGA.

The PGA tour has the best golfers and more money.

Our Ryder cup players need more heart late on Saturday and Pride on Sunday to really win the Ryder cup consistently, plus slightly better putting :)

Because the PGA has a first prize of a million dollars US for basically every single event, even tournaments without many top players like Humana or John Deere. Events even just below the top of the European tour such as the BMW International (450k), Scottish (855k) or French Opens (684k) which are coming up are not to that level of prize money. On top of this many players playing over in the states base themselves in Florida for good weather practice and the fact that Florida has no state income tax.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

There seems to be two discussions going on with this post. One is about players who have made it on another about players trying to make it.

As far as players who have made it, the PGA Tour is far and away the place to play.

For players trying to make it, my opinion is that they have a better chance at becoming good players by tuning their skills in Europe than on any second tour in the US. Example one: is the high number of players who graduate from the web.com tour to the PGA Tour only to lose their card when they play with the big boys.

To clear up another one of my points. Most Americans are not worldly enough to try golf out side of the USA. It is not the money that holds them back, too many think that the golfing worlds sun, rises and sets only on the good old USofA.