Rubber Cement, Blow On and Other Grip Installation ideas

TG313

I worked in the golf business 25 years and saw how they treat other peoples clubs. Consequently, I have always changed my own grips. For many years using solvent and double sided tape as taught, then I switched to Rubber Cement and painters tape.

Recently, I decided to try different types of grips to find the one best for me. Since I was trying a dozen different grips anyway, I thought I would experiment with every application technique I have ever seen or read about. I have compiled some data and here are my results.

#1 – What idiot thought Hair Spray, Kerosene or Gas were good alternatives to regular solvent. Is changing your grips such a last minute decision, you don’t have time to buy the proper materials? Were you one of those kids that chewed gum off the sidewalk because going to the store is just too hard? Don’t do that!

#2 – You can blow on any grip but some take more tape than others to hold well. Some as many as 3 wraps. I don’t know if it is the inside diameter of the grip or the compound its made of but many twist with just 1 layer. IOMIC and PURE both held the best.

#3 – Rubber Cement does not hold anything (sorry believers, I was one of you). It simply acts as a lubricant to get the grip on easier but is not providing adhesive qualities. If you want to use it to make the grip slide on and adjust easier you can but a grip that won’t hold on 1 layer of tape, still won’t hold with RC.

#4 – Hot cars will screw up everything. If you leave your clubs in a hot car all day, they will loosen up. In fact, a few hours in a car on a hot summer day (90 degrees) and I even got double sided tape to loosen and blow off. It took short bursts of air and some twisting but came off.

#5 – Given the info above, you would have to be an idiot to waste time injecting solvent into a grip in an effort to save it. If you like changing grips around, there are plenty that hold without double sided tape.

#6 – There is no better “permanent” alternative to double sided tape. At about 10 cents a grip, it is easy to install, just a pain to remove old tape. You don’t need to fill the grip with solvent then pour it over the tape like I was taught. Use a sprayer with a fine mist. Mist the tape and the inside of the grip lightly (no drips) the pull it on or use a little air. Good quality products make life much easier.

#7 – That said, I found 2 alternatives that is intriguing; 1) 3M linerless rubber splicing tape. It stretches so you can reduce the thickness. A little solvent and the grip slides right on. It holds like a champ but you can blow it off. The problem is the expense ($1 plus per grip) and it sometimes sticks to the inside of the grip when you blow it off. I used 1 ½ inch and stretched it a little but you can get 2 inch if you like it thick. Or get the ¾” and wrap it old style. 2) Static Cling Vinyl. I bought a sheet and cut it just under 2 inches. The problem is the printable sheets I bought are a little too thick and require cutting. I need to find a roll of thinner stuff (like the Oil Change decal on my windshield) that is 2 inches. However, the stuff works beautifully. It hold the grip well and blows off easily and can be reused.

#8 – If you want to experiment with air compression, go to Home Depot and buy a short piece of PVC pipe (1 ¼ inch) and an air compressor blow tip. They are cheap and necessary. Some grips will literally blow up in your face.

Finally, here is a list of other tapes and adhesives I tried:

• Tennis Grip Wrap (works well but expensive and thick)
  • Cloth Tape (ok with RC but not better than Double sided)
  • Duct Tape (to thick)
  • Blister Tape (nope)
  • Spray on Rubber Contact adhesive (messy and hard to remove)
  • Amazing Goop (works well but messy and grip must be cut off)
  • Tool handle dip (works well but you can’t control the thickness and long drying time)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point One. Rubber cement? Who the heck thought of that one? Why? I can't even imagine it. I don't want to think about it.

Point Two. I'll confess; I have used some funky things along the way, when I have been caught off guard needing to regrip a club on a Friday night before a Saturday morning tee time. Energine. Lighter fluid. Turpentine. It's been ten years since I had to do anything that silly (correction: that [i]smelly[/i]), but to the best of my knowledge, using any of those things (and some even crazier; how about gasoline?!?) works just fine with good two-sided grip tape. I have NEVER tried to regrip with anything other than two-sided grip tape.

Point Three. I've tried a lot of things underneath two-sided grip tape, to build up grips. I always thought the thing about "four wraps" or "eight wraps" was sort of silly. I never needed such a buildup. But when I did go through a fat grip phase, I did try duct tape and Gorilla Tape under my grip tape. The big thing was that that crap weighed a lot. It was a kind of counterbalancing!

Point Four. My current formula is nice and light Blue Painters' tape (pulls off smooth and easy) underneath two-sided grip tape. One layer of Blue Painters' tape. One layer of two-sided grip tape. And a .580 Lamkin Crossline Classic. The only other buildup is at the steps under the grip on just my wedges. So that I get a little more right hand when I have to choke down.

Point Five. Never say never, but I have almost never figured out the utility of blowing grips on or off. I am never going to buy that kind of equipment. When a grip comes off, it's going to get cut and thrown away. I don't have the time or inclination to save a $3.99 grip. I "never say never" because I have never had to worry about some rare Cameron grip or something similar.

I've changed to rubber cement and haven't looked back. Cheaper, easier to clean up, easier to remove grips if necessary.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

One of my many points is that you don't need double sided tape or rubber cement with many grips. I have a 105 mph swing speed and 9 out of 10 grips I try can just be blow on with air and 1 layer of masking tape (#10 needed 3 wraps). Even if you want to use rubber cement to make it easier, you just need a little on the butt end of the club and a little in the first part of the grip (no mess). So next time, put down your Walkman and give air a try. If you don't like it, the grip blows right back off and you can use your old favorite.

Good lord, rubber cement? Who the monkey came up with that one?

There is no better and simpler method than double sided tape and some mineral spirits. Simple, easy, quick, and you can play with them in a very short time.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1406208840' post='9774727']

There is no better and simpler method than double sided tape and some mineral spirits. Simple, easy, quick, and you can play with them in a very short time.
[/quote]

I would disagree...Air is quite a bit more simple than tape and spirits. Replacing grips takes no time at all with air, no mess with the tape residue..And they can be played with in no time. Just my experience

[quote name='96p993' timestamp='1406209362' post='9774795'][quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1406208840' post='9774727']

[/quote]

I would disagree...Air is quite a bit more simple than tape and spirits. Replacing grips takes no time at all with air, no mess with the tape residue..And they can be played with in no time. Just my experience[/quote]

I absolutely agree air is simple and easy, but that is only if you own or have access to a compressor. Tape and solvent can be bought cheap and used anywhere, an air compressor not so much.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Rubber cement. It was about 1993 I used to watch a pro re grip all clubs with rubber cement. Ados F2. He had a half gallon can of it. The greatest problem was that the glue would spurt out of the end of the grip onto his clothes. At that time it was the normal method of gripping. It was some years later before double sided tape became the norm here. (New Zealand ). Nothing wrong with the method. Just messy.

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1406211643' post='9775075']
[quote name='96p993' timestamp='1406209362' post='9774795'][quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1406208840' post='9774727']

[/quote]

I would disagree...Air is quite a bit more simple than tape and spirits. Replacing grips takes no time at all with air, no mess with the tape residue..And they can be played with in no time. Just my experience[/quote]

I absolutely agree air is simple and easy, but that is only if you own or have access to a compressor. Tape and solvent can be bought cheap and used anywhere, an air compressor not so much.
[/quote]

True enough..Though if you are going to spend the kind of money many grip makers want these days getting a compressor can actually be quite easy and cheap. It really doesnt take much to psi/cfm to get grips on and off..A cheap compressor from Harbor Freight is economical and does the intended job rather well

I have to admit that I came from the school of rubber cement. Worked at a course for 5 years, back in the day, and never had a grip come off. I will say that I do my own regripping, but have moved onto double sided tape and solvent.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

[quote name='SirMike1983' timestamp='1406217651' post='9775767']
Is there a summary somewhere or website describing the procedure for using air instead of tape and solvent? I use the tape and solvent method, but the air sounds interesting to me, especially if it is as simple as some are making it sound.
[/quote]

Here you go, easy peasy lemon squeezy. Take 2 inch masking tape and run as many layers as you want vertically. Then make one wrap just around the butt end with a half inch sticking over, then tuck that into the shaft. Spread the grip open a little with your fingers and get at least a half inch on (this is much easier if you put a little rubber cement on the shaft end and inside the grip-VERY LITTLE, NO MESS). Make sure the label is pointed where you want because large movement of the grip is a pain.Stick the air compressor blower tip in the hole at the end of the grip. With one hand hold the grip you started on the shaft and pull while the other hand gives short little bursts of air (don't push from behind). If you go dry (no rubber cement) the grip will make a pretty loud squeal (dogs hate it).

Bottom line is that after doing one or two, you'll find it is faster and cleaner than tape and solvent. Can be played with IMMEDIATELY and removed just as quickly.

installed a ping grip on my putter with hair spray last night. SAME results as mineral spirits. I'll stick to my "idiot" self and use hair spray here forward.

Thanks for the tip though haus.

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1406211643' post='9775075']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Air compressors are CHEAP these days. Of course, I understand "cheap" is relative. For me, the ROI of $100 for a pancake compressor (OK, plus $20 for the tip kit) makes it worth it. :)

[quote name='TG313' timestamp='1406223811' post='9776645']
[quote name='SirMike1983' timestamp='1406217651' post='9775767']
Is there a summary somewhere or website describing the procedure for using air instead of tape and solvent? I use the tape and solvent method, but the air sounds interesting to me, especially if it is as simple as some are making it sound.
[/quote]

Here you go, easy peasy lemon squeezy. Take 2 inch masking tape and run as many layers as you want vertically. Then make one wrap just around the butt end with a half inch sticking over, then tuck that into the shaft. Spread the grip open a little with your fingers and get at least a half inch on (this is much easier if you put a little rubber cement on the shaft end and inside the grip-VERY LITTLE, NO MESS). Make sure the label is pointed where you want because large movement of the grip is a pain.Stick the air compressor blower tip in the hole at the end of the grip. With one hand hold the grip you started on the shaft and pull while the other hand gives short little bursts of air (don't push from behind). If you go dry (no rubber cement) the grip will make a pretty loud squeal (dogs hate it).

Bottom line is that after doing one or two, you'll find it is faster and cleaner than tape and solvent. Can be played with IMMEDIATELY and removed just as quickly.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I suspected it might be something like that. Glad to hear normal masking tape can be used. I have plenty of that stuffy around.

A good compressor has many uses besides just golf grips, which is part of what interests me in the air method. The compressor is always an option for car tires, air tools, etc.

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1406208840' post='9774727']

[/quote]

Rubber cement is very common in Australia

Maybe PGA approved

Know many guys who learned using it