2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Wager...

Pigems

Oh no, there won't be any coming back too soon. If I have to wait any more then the original 8 weeks I'll go crazy, no way I'm doing anything that could make me have to wait longer. Yesterday was the first day I could grip a club properly without discomfort. But I could only apply about 1/2 pressure, any more and it started to hurt a bit. Can't even wiggle the club yet lol.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just searching the BST, as I often do, and stumble across a pair of Wishon 949 fairway woods that fit my preferred specs. Great deal on the pair. I am both happy and sad that I'm forbidden to purchase equipment.

Say it with me . . . "you don't need to purchase the same clubs that you already own . . . you don't need to purchase the same clubs you already own"

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Had my second lesson of the winter last evening. Spent an hour working on my chipping/pitching. The instructor had me working on low, medium and high shots, from 15, 40, and 60 yards. I was struck by the sound of the chips/pitches. I was producing a sound that I rarely hear on the golf course and seeing results that I rarely see. My issues are purely mechanical: playing the ball to far backwards, improper weight shift, gripping the club to death, feet too close together, etc. The drills are now in place and I have a solid grasp of what I must accomplish. Time to put in the necessary work.

I will love my putter and my wedges . . . I will love my putter and my wedges . . .

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1417827509' post='10550415']
Had my second lesson of the winter last evening. Spent an hour working on my chipping/pitching. The instructor had me working on low, medium and high shots, from 15, 40, and 60 yards. I was struck by the sound of the chips/pitches. I was producing a sound that I rarely hear on the golf course and seeing results that I rarely see. My issues are purely mechanical: playing the ball to far backwards, improper weight shift, gripping the club to death, feet too close together, etc. The drills are now in place and I have a solid grasp of what I must accomplish. Time to put in the necessary work.

I will love my putter and my wedges . . . I will love my putter and my wedges . . .
[/quote]

Good stuff PD, G64 better watch out, your gonna be beating him straight up soon :)

Do you use your 58* for all your pitching and chipping?? Or do you use you A wedge for some??

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1417836109' post='10550997']

[/quote]

Good stuff PD, G64 better watch out, your gonna be beating him straight up soon :)

Do you use your 58* for all your pitching and chipping?? Or do you use you A wedge for some??
[/quote]

I try to choose a club that fits the situation at hand. The set-up position that we are currently working on will not change if I'm holding an 8 iron or 58* wedge in hand. I'd like to add some versatility to my short game.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1417837000' post='10551053']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1417836109' post='10550997']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I try to choose a club that fits the situation at hand. The set-up position that we are currently working on will not change if I'm holding an 8 iron or 58* wedge in hand. I'd like to add some versatility to my short game.
[/quote]

I'm the same way, I'll use either of my wedges normally depending on the shot or sometimes I'll use an 8 iron on short uphill chips from just off the green, I always leave those short with a wedge lol. I practice hitting wedges in every different way possible, all different stances, swings and ball placements just to see what I can make the ball do by hitting it in different ways. Plus me and the Piglet play wedge games on the range sometimes, closest to the target gets a point per ball so it kind of makes practicing more fun :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I am a big fan of the 50 and 56 degree options depending on the shot required. My old coach tried to get me to use up to the 7 iron for pitch and runs but the longer clubs just never stuck with me. Never practiced them enough and most greens I play are too hilly and fast to overcook one with a 7 iron. :)

PD, check out these bad boys. I just may have too lol

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-hand-made-white-red-and-blue-leather-golf-headcover-set-No-Reserve-/281516644085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418bb316f5

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1417915493' post='10554537']
PD, check out these bad boys. I just may have too lol

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-hand-made-white-red-and-blue-leather-golf-headcover-set-No-Reserve-/281516644085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418bb316f5
[/quote]

You so need to Pigs. Those are beauties. I'll tell you this, now that I carry leathers I'll never go back to 'off the rack' head covers.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Made a purchase myself today. Brand new pair of Adidas Adipure 360's ($250.00 retail) for $125 (taxes in). Clear out stock, one pair remaining. I don't need shoes at the moment but will down the road : )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1417827134' post='10550395']
Just searching the BST, as I often do, and stumble across a pair of Wishon 949 fairway woods that fit my preferred specs. Great deal on the pair. I am both happy and sad that I'm forbidden to purchase equipment.

Say it with me . . . "you don't need to purchase the same clubs that you already own . . . you don't need to purchase the same clubs you already own"
[/quote]

Every time, it seems, when I find a driver or FW I like I HAVE to
buy another one; just in case................cause you know if you don't
they'll disappear from earth and you'll never find another.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1417923872' post='10555091']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The only equipment I've ever hoarded were Cleveland's CG14 wedges. Had 6 of them at one point, but have cleared the lot this year to make room for my Wishon gear.

My goal is to stick with my current set-up for as long as can. If one breaks I'll treat myself to something new.

I need to develop a swing and/or fine tune my skills so that I can take advantage of the gear that I have, because I truly believe that I have the right stuff.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1417924757' post='10555139']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1417923872' post='10555091']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The only equipment I've ever hoarded were Cleveland's CG14 wedges. Had 6 of them at one point, but have cleared the lot this year to make room for my Wishon gear.

My goal is to stick with my current set-up for as long as can. If one breaks I'll treat myself to something new.

I need to develop a swing and/or fine tune my skills so that I can take advantage of the gear that I have, because I truly believe that I have the right stuff.
[/quote]

I believe you PD. I've been "in the process" for the past 7 years.
Truth is, I need to also get rid of my "excess" clubs and play with
the clubs I like best and work on my game.

I hear over and over that the best players don't change clubs.
I think Reason said somewhere he still plays with his Eye2s.

If there is one place I might look to change the bag now, it would be removing the hybrid for the 18 degree Callaway Apex UT or something similar (bomber hybrid or 5 wood)... provided it better fills a gap. If I get this 3 iron consistent at 225 yards instead of 205-225 the hybrid is useless. Personally, I prefer the idea of a UT as the flight is lower than hybrids and fairway woods that I don't get roll out of anyway.

We shall see in about 5-10 more rounds where things stand.

As for hoarding wedges, now that my Mizuno MP-T4 wedge is on sale even lower than I paid in October ($79.95 instead of $99.95, DANG IT!) I would entertain the idea of a backup 56 degree wedge to match my 50 degree wedge. All I need is Santa to see that on the wish list. :)

So I took the Piglet for a round of birthday sim golf(he is 13 tomorrow) and the little bugger shoots a 44 from the reds at Harbour Town. I putted for him :D, but he did all the swinging. I worked with him on his swing for about 15 min on the sim range prior to his round and man he stuck the ball better than he ever has before. He was sooo proud of himself and so was I :D

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Happy birthday to the little Piglet (AKA - Cheeko). The young man is definitely making progress.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

It will be a proud day for the little piglet when he can take down Dad on the golf course. He's already hitting 85% of the fairways. Just needs time for his body to mature to get the distance. I wish I started golf at his age learning all of the proper techniques etc etc. I didn't start until my mid 20's with horrible habits. All I wanted to do is hit that little white ball as far as I could. It took me about a decade to undo my bad habits since I was self taught. With Dad's like Pig's it gives the kid's a much better chance of becoming a scratch golfer...

Driver: Cobra F7
Irons: Srixon 565's Steelfibers I95
3 Wood: Callaway Octane Tour 15*
Wedges:Wishon HM's SteelFiber i110
Hybrid: Cobra 20* Putter: Ping Craz-E
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130

He says TYVM PD for the Birthday wishes :)

He has decided to stop boxing recently and wants to get back into golf again. He wants to continue working out at home but doesn't really like the fighting part, but likes to exercise. So we picked him up some stuff for him to work out at home for Xmas. And a big plus is I get my golf buddy back :D

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Platoon' timestamp='1417973212' post='10557607']
It will be a proud day for the little piglet when he can take down Dad on the golf course. He's already hitting 85% of the fairways. Just needs time for his body to mature to get the distance. I wish I started golf at his age learning all of the proper techniques etc etc. I didn't start until my mid 20's with horrible habits. All I wanted to do is hit that little white ball as far as I could. It took me about a decade to undo my bad habits since I was self taught. With Dad's like Pig's it gives the kid's a much better chance of becoming a scratch golfer...
[/quote]

He's already beat me once, last summer. I was having a bad day and he was having a good one, on hole 7, i realized he was only 4 shots back and tried to throw him a bone by missing a putt on purpose. That missed put totally rolled to a terrible spot on the green and I ended up 5 putting lol. Needless to say he finished the last two holes without me catching back up to him and still hasnt let me live he down that he beat me once haha. He's gonna be a really good golfer some day, His school doesn't have a golf team but i have found out through meeting his teachers that there is a teacher in the school who is a golf fanatic. So i'm going to get in contact with him over the winter to see if we can form a golf team in the spring for his school in the spring or next year. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

So my RH Optiforce adapter showed up today, it sure looks the exact same as a LH one. Too bad I couldn't just use it anyways, oh well. Anyone need a RH Optiforce/Big Bertha. 335 Adapter??

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Haha I'm hoping to find someone else who's RH'ed of course, who made the same mistake lol

Odds are I'll be waiting another month for a new one lol

On the plus side I was able to hit a few chips last night for the first time, still to early to start back though. But man it felt some good to actually hit a ball :D

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

As ugly as your situation is/was I still maintain there could be something good found in it all. Odds are huge you will find a new set of feels and faith in a lighter and very consistent grip pressure. One way or the other - this will all lead to both hands operating as a unit through out the swing from setup to finish - from putting to driver swings. The grip itself will be called into question now. The healthier your hand gets - my money says the healthier your whole entire game gets.

We ALL do things during the swing motion we aren't even aware of. A biggie (IMO) sits right there in how our hands land on that handle and what we (too often) do to manipulate then via subtle little re-gripping and flipping and yanking on the handle at various points along the way.

I once used a simple Velcro-elastic strap you can find in two packs at the local hardware stores in the fastener aisle to settle my own grip into more consistent habits. You form it into a little belt which you can slip over the hands when first taking your grip. It basically encircles your hands on the handle. (Its really a neat little trick that develops multiple good things/habit for you as you don't have a choice but to swing a little better).

It quieted the hands - helped me find a grip I trust - developed a keep sense of clubface squareness from setup to the top to the finish. Cost me less than 10 bucks, As you get healthier I will send you the details of it. My guess is the spend won't count against your wager as it's purely for medical/recovery purposes. LOL.

There - I just spoke for your partners in the wager by offering you a little bit of a spending mulligan.

I think I just fell in Love...lol Maybe if I start saving up brownie point now, ill have enough by April :)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LH-CALLAWAY-APEX-PRO-APEX-MB-FORGED-4-PW-IRONS-KBS-Tour-V-Stiff-8-5-10-/371209596593?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item566dd0eeb1

Reasy, I've started taking little swings the past couple days with now ball so I think I'll give that a try. I can only take little swings right now, I'm trying to keep the club head below my knee, but it keeps creeping up to around waist high lol. I can only go for a few minutes at a time though right now. Thanks for the tip sir, maybe ill magically be able to launch my driver higher when I can finally swing it again :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1418250887' post='10574587']
I think I just fell in Love...lol Maybe if I start saving up brownie point now, ill have enough by April :)

[url="http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LH-CALLAWAY-APEX-PRO-APEX-MB-FORGED-4-PW-IRONS-KBS-Tour-V-Stiff-8-5-10-/371209596593?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item566dd0eeb1"]http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item566dd0eeb1[/url]

Reasy, I've started taking little swings the past couple days with now ball so I think I'll give that a try. I can only take little swings right now, I'm trying to keep the club head below my knee, but it keeps creeping up to around waist high lol. I can only go for a few minutes at a time though right now. Thanks for the tip sir, maybe ill magically be able to launch my driver higher when I can finally swing it again :)
[/quote]

Hope your recovery is speedy, and more important, 100%!