2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

I don't see so much of the stuff on offer on your side of the pond but I imagine it's pretty much the same rules as over here.
There are a lot of aspirational prices and fewer realistic ones. Guess which ones don't get the 'Sold' tag? If you want a guide as what to pay, or even what to post for sale, look at the 'Sold' listings.

If you then see something which appears off the charts then the chances are there is something special about it and it is worth studying.
On the other hand, someone may have made a Muppet Punt :rofl:

I played with the Standards yesterday. (See Classic WITB) First time out on a regulation length track. Well, it couldn't have gone much better. Played 11 holes before it got dark. Five pars, two birdies, three bogies, and one unlucky double out of a terrible lie in a bunker. The highlight of the day being my last hole just as it was getting dim, 185 yard par 3 over water. I started to reach for my 5 wood, I figured a smooth three quarter swing would get me on the green nicely. Then I saw it sitting there...the 3 iron. I don't normally carry the 3. I play hickory more than vintage, and in hickory, as Tad likes to say "loft is your friend" and consequently the lowest lofted iron in my hickory bag is a 27 degree mid iron. My old Apex IIs didn't even have a 3 iron in the set I bought so...I'm looking at it. It looks kind of...thin and knife looking. The 3 is in the bag because it's a new set for me and I threw all the clubs in. What the hell, I'm playing vintage, I thought and I whipped it out of the sack. "When in Rome" and all that. I stuck the ball on the peg, played for the cut I knew was coming, and hit a gorgeous shot, about a ten yard cut to twenty five feet left of the hole, which is the side you want to be on. Routine two putt par. I felt good about that one.
The most important stat, at least for me for the new irons was GIR. I hit 6 out of 11, missing 2 more greens by less than a yard, pretty good considering I have no idea what the lofts or lie angles are on the Palmers. I was just guessing distances based on what they probably are, and my knowledge of how far I hit my old Apex IIs, which are a similar vintage. The clubs feel great, really smooth, the DG s300 shafts just work really well for me. The lower lofted clubs are very flat, I could tell immediately by the ball flight, solid strikes that cut every time. When I got home I put the 4 iron up next to my PING 4 iron, a club I know the lie angle on and it's a least two degrees flatter than the PING, which is itself a red dot, 1 degree flat. So the Palmer 4 iron is in the 57 degree area which, not being an advanced ball striker devotee, is too flat for me. I will adjust them up to about 59ish degrees for the four iron and check the lofts. I like a 25 degree 4 iron, 29 degree 5 iron up to 50 degrees for the PW. So aside from the low irons being too flat, which is easily fixed, I really like these clubs.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1422347105' post='10826307']
Pretty much unknown clubs over here. A set came up on Ebay last week in splendid condition. I did some research to find out what they were and , lo and behold, up comes your post. Coincidemce, or wot?
The set made about £30 Sad,innit!
[/quote]

I saw those as well Chris ! Sold at £32. They were the earlier Standard model - 1980-1984 according to the Golfworks Club Guide III .... very nice looking clubs regardless and a steal for someone at what they went for ... if I hadn't already bought some brand new 1025Ms earlier that same day I probably would have bid ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Mine were 50 dollars shipped, which means the clubs themselves were about $25, and I am not kidding when I say they are almost brand new. The 85 Standard Palmers were only produced for 1 year, and it is my understanding from what I found in research that they have a slightly larger club head and more bounce than the previous model. All qualities I like since I would like to use these with my modern set up as well as vintage, still seeking the El Dorado of the Set for All Seasons. Quite a modern looking club, looks to me very much like the Mizuno MP 32 with out the cut muscle.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

My instructor told me about how she shoveled off the hitting matts during the winter way back when & since I'm waaay past round the bend of stir crazy....

[attachment=2593095:WinterGolfStuff_quartersize.jpg]

I'll report back! :)

<editted to add> :yahoo: First lesson of the year tomorrow!!! Wonder if I can talk my instructor into doing the shoveling...? ;)

After all, it's not like I'm *REALLY* pushing the limits to play golf!!! ;)

[attachment=2593125:Photoshop Golf on the moon.jpg]

[quote name='Kirasdad' timestamp='1422329508' post='10825267']
I played with the Standards yesterday. (See Classic WITB) First time out on a regulation length track. Well, it couldn't have gone much better. Played 11 holes before it got dark. Five pars, two birdies, three bogies, and one unlucky double out of a terrible lie in a bunker. The highlight of the day being my last hole just as it was getting dim, 185 yard par 3 over water. I started to reach for my 5 wood, I figured a smooth three quarter swing would get me on the green nicely. Then I saw it sitting there...the 3 iron. I don't normally carry the 3. I play hickory more than vintage, and in hickory, as Tad likes to say "loft is your friend" and consequently the lowest lofted iron in my hickory bag is a 27 degree mid iron. My old Apex IIs didn't even have a 3 iron in the set I bought so...I'm looking at it. It looks kind of...thin and knife looking. The 3 is in the bag because it's a new set for me and I threw all the clubs in. What the hell, I'm playing vintage, I thought and I whipped it out of the sack. "When in Rome" and all that. I stuck the ball on the peg, played for the cut I knew was coming, and hit a gorgeous shot, about a ten yard cut to twenty five feet left of the hole, which is the side you want to be on. Routine two putt par. I felt good about that one.
The most important stat, at least for me for the new irons was GIR. I hit 6 out of 11, missing 2 more greens by less than a yard, pretty good considering I have no idea what the lofts or lie angles are on the Palmers. I was just guessing distances based on what they probably are, and my knowledge of how far I hit my old Apex IIs, which are a similar vintage. The clubs feel great, really smooth, the DG s300 shafts just work really well for me. The lower lofted clubs are very flat, I could tell immediately by the ball flight, solid strikes that cut every time. When I got home I put the 4 iron up next to my PING 4 iron, a club I know the lie angle on and it's a least two degrees flatter than the PING, which is itself a red dot, 1 degree flat. So the Palmer 4 iron is in the 57 degree area which, not being an advanced ball striker devotee, is too flat for me. I will adjust them up to about 59ish degrees for the four iron and check the lofts. I like a 25 degree 4 iron, 29 degree 5 iron up to 50 degrees for the PW. So aside from the low irons being too flat, which is easily fixed, I really like these clubs.
[/quote]

Kirasdad-

These are 1985 First Flight Palmer Standard irons-
They present more of a "scotch blade" profile than the original Standard iron-

The FF Palmer Original Standard iron was a favorite of PGA Tour players.

Enjoy.

:)

Well, I don't rightly know where to put my Winter Golf Report so I guess right here for the time being.

My instructor did the shoveling!! :yahoo:

And then she stamped a target line into the snow (no flags) and I started trying to swing buried under four layers of clothing. The range is protected on three sides--north, south & east--so where's the wind coming from?

You got it: right down the pipe. I was lucky I'd left my windbreaker jacket & pants in my golf bag, they made the difference.

Winter golf gloves are cold until you get thoroughly warmed up but they provide a lot of grip. My shots looked short but my instructor said cold temperatures effect the golf ball?? News to me, it felt like 10 degrees with the wind, guessing 20ish without it.

I think I'm finally starting to get the feel of "the lower body goes first and pulls everything else along" stuff that my instructor keeps talking to me about. She also keeps telling me to swing relaxed which is starting to make a bit of sense too. And when I can do both at once, I get some good shots. There were 5 or so that were high and long, one was so long my instructor paced it off.

There's no way to tell the spin on the ball because they stop in the snow. So some things must wait for spring...

All together, it was fun! It felt good to hit good shots and I'm starting to realize what I'm doing when I make a mistake, which is encouraging. I need to bring water for next time, though. (I thought the water bottles in my car would defrost in the sun--hah.)

If you want to try, I'd suggest lots of layers, brightly colored golf balls, lots of towels, libation/snacks of your choice. And beater clubs, more on that later.

:wave:

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1423022714' post='10881059']SteveNZ-

Any photos of the club faces of the woods? irons?

Am interested on what was meant by "Genuine Slazenger Persimmon"...

And all for a dollar?

Hideously Excellent butterfly soleplates.....[/quote]

I don't have a photo of these particular clubs as I don't have them to hand yet. But funnily enough I already have 3 of the same woods. There's a picture of them below and I'll know tomorrow if they are the same...

[attachment=2601917:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1423023640.438034.jpg]

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1423014299' post='10880083']Excuse the crummy photos, but this might be the best $1 (75 US cents) I ever spent. Some slightly rusty Slazenger Hogan IPTs, 2-E but with the 9-iron missing (why is it always the 9?) and 3 Slazenger Hogan persimmon woods...

[/quote]

I'll post more pics later but apart from a few spots of rust they don't look to have been played all that much...

[attachment=2603177:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1423107124.064756.jpg]

[attachment=2603193:IMG_0238.JPG]

And all for a dollar?

Here's the face of the driver. The other woods have the same face as that earlier pic I posted.

[attachment=2603179:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1423107676.603905.jpg]

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1423107685' post='10887629']

And all for a dollar?

Here's the face of the driver. The other woods have the same face as that earlier pic I posted.

[attachment=2603179:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1423107676.603905.jpg]
[/quote]

SteveNZ-

Thanks
It would be interesting to get Teevons opinion on these "Slazenger Ben Hogan" clubs......

Sorry to bombard you guys with photos but I can't believe the shape these things are in. Here's the 2 iron after a rub with tinfoil and polishing with Brasso. Even the shaft bands are great. Did I mention they cost a dollar?

[attachment=2603731:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX
Mobile1423171597.664282.jpg]

[attachment=2603735:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX
Mobile1423171638.231874.jpg]

[attachment=2603737:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1423171662.644227.jpg]

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1423171672' post='10892649']
Sorry to bombard you guys with photos but I can't believe the shape these things are in. Here's the 2 iron after a rub with tinfoil and polishing with Brasso. Even the shaft bands are great. Did I mention they cost a dollar?

[attachment=2603731:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX
Mobile1423171597.664282.jpg]

[attachment=2603735:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX
Mobile1423171638.231874.jpg]

[attachment=2603737:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1423171662.644227.jpg]
[/quote]

Wow, very nice. Quite a score there, Steve. Congrats

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Had a nice Maxfli TM-6 arrive yesterday. I really wanted to putt well with the TM-2 I got before Christmas as I love the head shape - but this one is a perfect length for me and I think I prefer the heel shafted head. It also still has the original grip in very good condition, which is a huge bonus. It's a wee bit more industrial looking than my other putters - the TM-2 has that curved and tapered flange, and the other 8802-style blades also have softer lines - but I like it already. Looking forward to seeing how it compares to my current favourite - TPM (no relation) 9.

So, I walked into the local Salvation Army store about 2 weeks ago with my fingers crossed praying to find the "Holy Grail" of putters, a Sportsman Geo Low Wizard 600 blade. Those odds of that happening are worse than winning tonight's Powerball jackpot of $450+ million, right? So, what do I see in the barrel??? A Sportsman Wizard 200 mallet putter complete with the correct shaft and Geo Low signature leather grip, still in good condition...WOW, I'm thinking, how close was that???? Ok, ok, I know not very...but, if the club itself isn't what I want, that shaft and grip could be keepers when I FINALLY DO LOCATE THAT DARN WIZARD 600 BLADE!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS