2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

[quote name='golfnut1964' timestamp='1415501854' post='10418253']
haha wow what brutal typing...sorry guys...i "LUCKED OUT"
[/quote]

You can edit the typo in your post :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='CanadianCrippler' timestamp='1415467331' post='10416007']
Here are my Robert Jones Model J 40 driver and 3-wood. Came from a guy that worked at the golf hall of fame. They are basically perfect condition and I love that the grips are marked "Jones Tour Grip, pat requested". The grip, not round fits more naturally into your fingers, very nice brown calf wrap.

Enjoy!

CC[attachment=2489553:image.jpg][attachment=2489557:image.jpg][attachment=2489559:image.jpg][attachment=2489563:image.jpg][attachment=2489565:image.jpg]
[/quote]

CC,

Thanks for posting the 1935 Tommy Armour Macgregor & Bobby Jones pics; they're beautiful pieces of history!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Went back to the estate sale mentioned above to see if the bag of clubs I'd seen the day before was still there. Yup, and it was 50% off day. So I grabbed them for $20. Cleaned them up this morning for some pics.

Wilson Staff Dynapower Fluid Feel 3 - PW. (circa 1964?). Have DG R200U shafts in them. Before cleaning, thought they had been reshafted. Now not so sure as the serial number on the ferrules were revealed during cleaning, they match. Hard to believe they could have been reshafted and saved the ferrules. Investigating on Ironfinder, look exactly like the '64's except the ferrules are all black. Didn't find a reissue listing that matched on the site. So I am rather confused on the actual vintage. Also with the set were a Ram TW855 grind 55* SW and a Ping Pal (020) mgbr. putter with a sweet dark brown Neumann grip.

[attachment=2490719:image.jpg]

The woods were Custom MacGregor Tourney 1, 3, 4, 5, with matching numbers in fantastic condition. Just a few very small random chips on them. Hardly noticeable. Really like the dark finish as well. They pale in comparison to the beautiful old Macs being posted ^, but I'm excited to play these, they're my first set of "nice" Macs. Alas, probably not until next season. Thumbing thru Kaplan, could not seem to locate them. Can anyone offer the approximate vintage on these (thinking '70's)? Some pics:

[attachment=2490737:image.jpg]
[attachment=2490741:image.jpg]
[attachment=2490743:image.jpg]

Thx for looking. It was a busy weekend for classic club 'hoing.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

^ Those irons do look like the '64. As far as I know, they are exactly the same as the 62-63 Turfriders but they just lack the engraving. My first impression would be that they have been re-shafted, but someone took the time and effort to transfer the ferrules. When Wilson aficionados talk about their favorite sets the Turfriders invariably come up, along with the late 50's Dynas, the Bulletbacks, and the Buttonbacks.

Nice haul, Fella!

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Some of the woods I bought via Craigslist.

[attachment=2491541:DSCN0226.JPG][attachment=2491543:DSCN0227.JPG][attachment=2491545:DSCN0230.JPG][attachment=2491553:DSCN0243.JPG][attachment=2491551:DSCN0244.JPG][attachment=2491549:DSCN0245.JPG][attachment=2491547:DSCN0246.JPG][attachment=2491561:DSCN0247.JPG][attachment=2491559:DSCN0250.JPG][attachment=2491557:DSCN0251.JPG][attachment=2491555:DSCN0252.JPG][attachment=2491565:DSCN0253.JPG][attachment=2491563:DSCN0254.JPG]

The others did not come out clearly in the photo. but nice grain on all of these.

Grips are bad, but the leather grips might be salvageable.

The irons, from Lagpressure:

[attachment=2491567:DSCN0272.JPG][attachment=2491569:DSCN0271.JPG]

The medallion is set up as a gap wedge:
[attachment=2491573:DSCN0273.JPG][attachment=2491571:DSCN0274.JPG]

There's little rust. You can see some white goo from the range balls I hit the other night.
[attachment=2491575:DSCN0279.JPG]

All have NOS green victory grips.
[attachment=2491577:DSCN0280.JPG]

And, these are the 3 woods I'm playing, from the Craigslist deal:
[attachment=2491579:DSCN0281.JPG][attachment=2491581:DSCN0282.JPG]

Driver:
[attachment=2491587:DSCN0283.JPG][attachment=2491583:DSCN0286.JPG][attachment=2491585:DSCN0285.JPG]

2 Wood:

[attachment=2491593:DSCN0287.JPG][attachment=2491589:DSCN0289.JPG][attachment=2491591:DSCN0288.JPG]

And the 4 wood (love it):
[attachment=2491601:DSCN0292.JPG][attachment=2491595:DSCN0294.JPG][attachment=2491597:DSCN0293.JPG]

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1415540245' post='10419469']
Went back to the estate sale mentioned above to see if the bag of clubs I'd seen the day before was still there. Yup, and it was 50% off day. So I grabbed them for $20. Cleaned them up this morning for some pics.

Wilson Staff Dynapower Fluid Feel 3 - PW. (circa 1964?). Have DG R200U shafts in them. Before cleaning, thought they had been reshafted. Now not so sure as the serial number on the ferrules were revealed during cleaning, they match. Hard to believe they could have been reshafted and saved the ferrules. Investigating on Ironfinder, look exactly like the '64's except the ferrules are all black. Didn't find a reissue listing that matched on the site. So I am rather confused on the actual vintage. Also with the set were a Ram TW855 grind 55* SW and a Ping Pal (020) mgbr. putter with a sweet dark brown Neumann grip.

[attachment=2490719:image.jpg]

The woods were Custom MacGregor Tourney 1, 3, 4, 5, with matching numbers in fantastic condition. Just a few very small random chips on them. Hardly noticeable. Really like the dark finish as well. They pale in comparison to the beautiful old Macs being posted ^, but I'm excited to play these, they're my first set of "nice" Macs. Alas, probably not until next season. Thumbing thru Kaplan, could not seem to locate them. Can anyone offer the approximate vintage on these (thinking '70's)?
Thx for looking. It was a busy weekend for classic club 'hoing.
[/quote]

For the irons, check out pp 66-68 of the doc embedded here:

http://www.advancedballstriking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=202&t=1272

and see if anything looks familiar.

MacGregor woods in that document too...

Fella-

The Wilson Staff 64 Dynapowers are a reshaft, as DGs weren't available in the 1960s....but a beautiful head, nonetheless...

Those MacGregor woods appear to be the contract version, done by Louisville Golf for MacGregor.

The earlier MacGregor versions appear to be those discernable by the Brunswick "B" crown logo (store line) and the number of screws in the butterfly soleplate 5 for original vs 4 for contract remakes- The early '60s MacGregor Tommy Armour with the Toney Penna designed keysite insert was popular.

And yes, the Hogan Apex PC and Medallion iron models......strictly RH only...

If anyone finds a LH MacGregor persimmon wood with a butterfly soleplate with 5 screws.....please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I found these at Goodwill yesterday for $1.99.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

if we are going to have a vintage wedge contest-you guys will loose. i have 4 golf bags full of nothing but awesume wedges.. cleveland did make some really great wedges that few know about. all the general public ever sees is the 588. which is a hackers wedge. the model 900 low bounce-now we are talking awesume post-11-1142272663.jpg

I obtained a Cleveland Low Bounce 900 this week free! along with a Ping Eye 2 PW with the "scalloped sole" Some one scrapped them one of the guys saw them in the pile and pulled them out for me. The Cleveland is in great shape I did not hit it yesterday even though I planned to. My buddies called me and we had several $5 matches going and I did not want to go into the line of fire with an untried wedge. The Eye2 had a broken shaft at the grip but it was a crappy Ping blue label shaft. I just happened to have a used S-300 in the shop and I just put it in a few minutes ago. I did hit the Cleveland off my mat in the yard between bouts of rain showers

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

i am confident you get used to the cleveland 900 low bounce quick. mine has become indespencible! i cant play with out it. its a 52 gap wedge and out preformes all other by a large margin. i am waiting to find a 900 sw and have located a 60 900 low bounce. shame this wedge was largly ignored by the public but i blame the golf shops for not stocking it. this model is like 20 yrs old and i have only just this year seen one. the 588 cant touch this wedge !

73 hogan apex

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1416790090' post='10493785']
i am confident you get used to the cleveland 900 low bounce quick. mine has become indespencible! i cant play with out it. its a 52 gap wedge and out preformes all other by a large margin. i am waiting to find a 900 sw and have located a 60 900 low bounce. shame this wedge was largly ignored by the public but i blame the golf shops for not stocking it. this model is like 20 yrs old and i have only just this year seen one. the 588 cant touch this wedge !
[/quote]Wonder if it is conforming? I cannot find anything definitive on the USGA website

Its not a classic by any streach of the imagination yet any how but the price was right Free! It is a new Nike Method 003. Seems our pro at my club is a Nike staffer and has a bad temper.He has tossed this thing off the various cartpaths quite a few times. He ended up buying some Scotty putter. I mean this thing is rough rough rough just my cup of tea. Anyhow they had it in the shop this afternoon laughing and pointing out the damage and how the neck was bent. I picked it up and said heck it sits good to me. Someone said yeah it would for you. I rolled a couple in the shop and liked the feel. Took it to the putting green and boom started canning putts with it. The pro told me put that in your bad I said how much ? he said your kidding right? No how much?? Put that thing in your bag get it away from me. Don't know yet if it will displace the infamous Zing2. I am planning on playing it in a scramble tomorrow unless we have some side bets going then you can bet the farm the zing will be in the bag!! The bottom is gouged all to heck but the face is ok my style anyhow beat all to crap. I think most of you that know me know it is against my religion to carry any putter I need a headcover for.

I have already named it "Old Joe" because that is the pro's name. I can see me now when we play against him in some matches when I make a putt against him singing that song "Old Joe" This may be hilarious but he aint getting it back!!

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1417222138' post='10515607']
Its not a classic by any streach of the imagination yet any how but the price was right Free! It is a new Nike Method 003. Seems our pro at my club is a Nike staffer and has a bad temper.He has tossed this thing off the various cartpaths quite a few times. He ended up buying some Scotty putter. I mean this thing is rough rough rough just my cup of tea. Anyhow they had it in the shop this afternoon laughing and pointing out the damage and how the neck was bent. I picked it up and said heck it sits good to me. Someone said yeah it would for you. I rolled a couple in the shop and liked the feel. Took it to the putting green and boom started canning putts with it. The pro told me put that in your bad I said how much ? he said your kidding right? No how much?? Put that thing in your bag get it away from me. Don't know yet if it will displace the infamous Zing2. I am planning on playing it in a scramble tomorrow unless we have some side bets going then you can bet the farm the zing will be in the bag!! The bottom is gouged all to heck but the face is ok my style anyhow beat all to crap. I think most of you that know me know it is against my religion to carry any putter I need a headcover for.

I have already named it "Old Joe" because that is the pro's name. I can see me now when we play against him in some matches when I make a putt against him singing that song "Old Joe" This may be hilarious but he aint getting it back!!
[/quote]

Nice, Big Stu; I'm thinking Old Joe's going to make you some money any day now!

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[/quote]

The "infamous Zing 2"......the same one reclaimed from the netherlands of the lost? Being potentially replaced by another putter? And by a Nike no less....with a name! That's very bad JuJu. Why do you tempt fate like this Big Stu? Think you should name the Zing as a way of making amends.
IMHO

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1417231046' post='10516123']
Would that be the infamous "old Joe Clark?"
[/quote]Sorta right church wrong pew. Actually that song is an old spiritual from the late 1800s

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1417247688' post='10516707']

[/quote]

The "infamous Zing 2"......the same one reclaimed from the netherlands of the lost? Being potentially replaced by another putter? And by a Nike no less....with a name! That's very bad JuJu. Why do you tempt fate like this Big Stu? Think you should name the Zing as a way of making amends.
IMHO
[/quote]Oh the Zing has always had a name I just failed to mention it actually 2 names "baby doll" and "Zing Zing". Oh it aint fate it is just old and resting it always gets back in the bag for some reason. Actually baby doll is not stored in the shop she is in the house with my special clubs sitting in one of my Ryder Cup bags.

I had the a wonderful Thanksgiving including a breakthrough on the injury front and a fortunate ebay experience and a fortuitous Black Friday excursion to my local Play It Again Sports where they were having a BLOW OUT SALE!

This sort of excursion is unusual for me being the (self styled) Henry Thoreau meets the Dalai Lama guy on this forum who doesn't accumulate golf clubs (not that there is anything wrong with that). However, I could tell I was improving physically and I yearned to get some steel back in my hands as the hickory season is over and other golf situations beckon. So I bought not one, or two, but THREE SETS of irons.

After soliciting some advice on the best place there is to find such sagacity, (thanks especially to HC and Teevons) that place being this forum. I went on the bay and bought a nice set of '62 Turfriders 2-PW, R flex for 44 bucks shipped. Then two days ago I went to the aforementioned resale establishment and purchased these for 35 dollars, 3-EQ, no.3 shaft.[attachment=2518363:image.jpg]

Then on the way out of the door I noticed on a rack on the wall a set of Hogan BH Grind blades 1-EQ, no. 4 shaft that looked like they had never seen a golf ball, also for 35 dollars. In a near scandalous display of shameless commerce I bought those too. Despite my health renaissance, that no. 4 shaft is no friend of my newly repaired neck so those beauties are now on a certain site where someone else can avail themselves of these beautiful sticks, and pay for my recent splurge (and then some).

Worked out the Edges with a one hour plus range session, really nice feeling and performing irons. Perfect trajectory, and the 3 shaft suits me just fine now. Looking forward to putting them in my modern bag (1989 lol) and when the Turfriders arrive I will put the persimmons in play and get after that too. I will report back on that when they arrive and taken out for a spin.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

The Grinds. Whoever owned these things never struck them in anger, or any other emotion for that matter because they are mint.[attachment=2518373:image.jpg]

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

Well played, John. Remember, "He who is attached (to eBay, Play It Again, Goodwill and Craigslist) will suffer much." ;)

Enjoy the Edges, aka "The clubs that saved the company." And the Wilsons also...

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

"......This sort of excursion is unusual for me being the (self styled) Henry Thoreau meets the Dalai Lama guy on this forum who doesn't accumulate golf clubs (not that there is anything wrong with that). However, I could tell I was improving physically and I yearned to get some steel back in my hands as the hickory season is over and other golf situations beckon. So I bought not one, or two, but THREE SETS of irons".

Hmm...I'd say you've fell off the wagon a bit relative to your above statement.

Nice pickups all the way around. Not only are we purchasing for use, but also for the "flip" to finance current and future clubs. I would give it consideration; however, like you stiffs (4's) are to much shaft for me these days. GLWS.

Been casually shopping for Hogans of late. My Watch List is filled up with them. Redlines and '99 Apex are commanding some premium prices at the moment. Been refocusing towards the Grinds and Apex Plus. Realistically, the Plus would be better suited to my game (with the right shaft) and are much more affordable. Got some things listed on the local Craigslist (before going eBay) for sale. Guess not many folks are looking for "vintage" clubs at the moment.

New acquisition. Picked up a Otey Crismann Super Deluxe 16 HBW putter at a garage sale ($2.00) couple of weeks back. Cleaned up the head (like the shinny, clean look), stripped off the old shaft finish, used Formby's wood refinish and three coats of Tung oil. Leather grip is in pretty good shape. Applied several coats of leather conditioner. Just need to apply black shoe cream to some worn spots on the grip.

Rolls pretty nice on the carpet putting green. Looking forward to rolling it next season against my "usual suspects".

[attachment=2518383:image.jpg][attachment=2518385:image.jpg]

There I was, going all white knuckle, cold turkey like, down in the south, against my sinful nature, me, not buying any clubs, hell not even day tripping 'round to the Goodwills, or that used candy store out by Kiawah. Trying to keep my lustfull ways at bay, NO, not EBay, although i have been looking at its porn, but I haven't hit the button. I SWEAR.
Then some cat out in Cally lets it out of the bag that he backslid. Not once! Not twice like the Frenchies would call " mini ah triasing,"but in bed and out the door with three at a time, ain't no Frenchie word for that.

Hit em well.