2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1414483207' post='10361031']Good job MattyB. Redlines are clubs I would really like to try someday. Aesthetically, they are a wonderful looking set of blades. Offer us your mini-review once you've had the opportunity to swing them. As for the Mrs., she hears that tale from me all the time. She just rolls her eyes and walks away. I buy her things. Its our little "arrangement".

Oh yeah, where's the pics? TIA.[/quote] Cheers Fella, hoping to pick up Thu or Fri night. Have a milestone birthday on Monday so technically a get out of jail free card (there's always a good excuse for a club ho). My free days have coincided with down under spring rain recently and two kids, but I've devised a test: driving range shoot-out between my BH grinds and the new to me Redlines.

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1414454420' post='10359595']awesume. i have yet to play a set of redlines.[/quote] Christmas came early. I'm really looking forward to the first bucket, x2, as I'm fresh to these Redlines and the BH Grinds I bought a month or so ago, hehe (also re-gripping and testing a thrift store '87 WStaff Fluid Feel SW).

[quote name='MattB_NZ' timestamp='1414484657' post='10361059']
[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1414450114' post='10359285'][quote name='MattB_NZ' timestamp='1414449771' post='10359259']
Boom, just pulled trigger on a 2-E set of '88 Redlines, lightly used, $157 USD, local pick up.

Not sure whether they're a 3 or a 4 shaft (prefer 4) but have a swappable set of each in the garage.

It's the 4th time recently that my wife has been told this is my ideal set, haha, so I might have to offload something as a trade off...
[/quote]

Where did you find those?[/quote]Hi Steve, good old Trademe, eh, the home of (usually) next to no decent golf clubs here in NZ.
[/quote]

I obviously need to stay up later, or set the alarm earlier to catch these overnight listings ;-)

[quote name='MattB_NZ' timestamp='1414484978' post='10361067']
.........so technically a get out of jail free card (there's always a good excuse for a club ho). My free days have coincided with down under spring rain recently and two kids, but I've devised a test: driving range shoot-out between my BH grinds and the new to me Redlines.
[/quote]

Happy B'day. BH Grinds AND Redlines! You have been a busy club ho. You must offer us your editorial review once you perform your test drive. Inquiring minds want to know.

I've been playing a Wilson Staff Tour Blade J. P. grind SW ('80's ish) in my vintage bag. Nice weight to the head. Still looks contemporary. May start using it in the modern bag as well. Needs a grip and extension (everything needs extensions this off season) to make it more in tune to my preference.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Last week I saw a CL posting for older Ben Hogan golf clubs, very good condition, for $35. They were Apex Red Lines! (? year)...Alas, being far away, I had yet to arrange for an old friend to pick them up...gone now. Either the seller got wise or someone just got a nice looking set!

Anyway, I recently purchased these stainless Pedersen 100 irons, 2-Pw, regular shaft along with 1-3-4-5 Dunlop laminated woods, leather bag, $35.

Today's Goodwill find was not clubs but a bag. It is hard to find a traditional bag these days that is not a giant staff bag. Something like a Jones but just a smidge larger. When I see one, I always give it a look. I saw one today in Goodwill, traditional, built in umbrella sleeve, and black-my favorite. I just bought a Miller very similar last week so almost past it over, but decided to look at the bottom for a name. Well on closer inspection, The shell appears to be all genuine leather, including the cover. In very nice shape, so for $10, it is in the trunk of my car now.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1414487017' post='10361091']
.........so technically a get out of jail free card (there's always a good excuse for a club ho). My free days have coincided with down under spring rain recently and two kids, but I've devised a test: driving range shoot-out between my BH grinds and the new to me Redlines.
[/quote]

Happy B'day. BH Grinds AND Redlines! You have been a busy club ho. You must offer us your editorial review once you perform your test drive. Inquiring minds want to know.

I've been playing a Wilson Staff Tour Blade J. P. grind SW ('80's ish) in my vintage bag. Nice weight to the head. Still looks contemporary. May start using it in the modern bag as well. Needs a grip and extension (everything needs extensions this off season) to make it more in tune to my preference.
[/quote] That JP grind is a great wedge I have one that I have had for a number of years I have it bent up to 58* with a little sole relief for me. The only reason it is not in the front line gamer bag now is because several months ago I found a Scratch 60* at my local GW for $2.99 and fell in love with it but the JP is in the front line on the vintage set

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='dbuck47' timestamp='1414531384' post='10364281']
Today's Goodwill find was not clubs but a bag. It is hard to find a traditional bag these days that is not a giant staff bag. Something like a Jones but just a smidge larger. When I see one, I always give it a look. I saw one today in Goodwill, traditional, built in umbrella sleeve, and black-my favorite. I just bought a Miller very similar last week so almost past it over, but decided to look at the bottom for a name. Well on closer inspection, The shell appears to be all genuine leather, including the cover. In very nice shape, so for $10, it is in the trunk of my car now.
[/quote]Most of the bags I find at my local thrifts seem to be what they call cart bags. A while back I did find a Burton brand carry bag black with Michelob on it for $4. I rotate between it and an old original Sun Mountain carry bag I found in a junked car a year or so back when I do my vintage minimualist walking rounds

PIcked these up at a Salvation Army store today for about $14 US. Shafts are True Temper Rockets in really nice condition, all with the red circular Ben Hogan/Slazenger decal. The two-tone leather grips are in decent shape too. Ferrules are pretty sweet, and the serial numbers match - and include the letters NZ which I guess means they were made for this part of the world. The 3-wood looks like it has a crack in the neck, though. Oh well.

Now to try and find out a bit more about them...

[attachment=2478427:hoganwoods1.jpg]

[attachment=2478431:hoganwoods2.jpg]

[attachment=2478433:hoganwoods3.jpg]

Oh - and the soleplates have had a polish already :-)

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1414633510' post='10371467']PIcked these up at a Salvation Army store today for about $14 US. Shafts are True Temper Rockets in really nice condition, all with the red circular Ben Hogan/Slazenger decal. The two-tone leather grips are in decent shape too. Ferrules are pretty sweet, and the serial numbers match - and include the letters NZ which I guess means they were made for this part of the world. The 3-wood looks like it has a crack in the neck, though. Oh well.

Oh - and the soleplates have had a polish already :-)[/quote]Whoa, excellent find Steve! Hopefully an epoxy and re-whip will fix it. FWIW I passed on a '61 or '62 $10 1W Hogan persimmon recently while driving through Paeroa (it had a neck crack but should've added it to my stash.)

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1414633510' post='10371467']PIcked these up at a Salvation Army store today for about $14 US. Shafts are True Temper Rockets in really nice condition, all with the red circular Ben Hogan/Slazenger decal. The two-tone leather grips are in decent shape too. Ferrules are pretty sweet, and the serial numbers match - and include the letters NZ which I guess means they were made for this part of the world. The 3-wood looks like it has a crack in the neck, though. Oh well.

Oh - and the soleplates have had a polish already :-)[/quote]Late 50's? Dunno if it helps, but the fonts on those sole plates remind me of Swingweight Plus iron markings...

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1414641858' post='10372063']
Yeah, they're branded 'Swingweight' on the toe, so that's probably a good place to start.
[/quote]

Steve I have the same set of woods... definitely Swing Weight plus's

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

[quote name='MattB_NZ' timestamp='1414640137' post='10371965']

Oh - and the soleplates have had a polish already :-)[/quote]Whoa, excellent find Steve! Hopefully an epoxy and re-whip will fix it. FWIW I passed on a '61 or '62 $10 1W Hogan persimmon recently while driving through Paeroa (it had a neck crack but should've added it to my stash.)
[/quote]Cool looking plastic ferrules so hopefully you will not rewhip!!

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1414645257' post='10372285']
[quote name='MattB_NZ' timestamp='1414640137' post='10371965']

[/quote]Cool looking plastic ferrules so hopefully you will not rewhip!!
[/quote]

Very much a beginner in terms of club restoration so not much danger of that!

Very nice pickup Steve. Love the look of those Slaz/Hogan's, especially the face inserts. Would love to find a 7w like what you have found. I'm finding that my Hogan Speedslot 5w performs very much like my 23* hybrid. So much so, its in my modern bag. Similar distance and I hit it straighter for some reason. Steel shaft, slowed down swing, bulge, who knows. I just "really" like how it performs. Would like to add a 7, hopefully with similar results.

Haven't noticed a posting from you before. May have just missed it. So if your new to this little corner of the internets, welcome. Going to give MattB some competition at the thrifts down there in Kiwi Land.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1414661321' post='10372671']
Very nice pickup Steve. Love the look of those Slaz/Hogan's, especially the face inserts. Would love to find a 7w like what you have found. I'm finding that my Hogan Speedslot 5w performs very much like my 23* hybrid. So much so, its in my modern bag. Similar distance and I hit it straighter for some reason. Steel shaft, slowed down swing, bulge, who knows. I just "really" like how it performs. Would like to add a 7, hopefully with similar results.

Haven't noticed a posting from you before. May have just missed it. So if your new to this little corner of the internets, welcome. Going to give MattB some competition at the thrifts down there in Kiwi Land.
[/quote]

Not quite my first post, but still relatively new. Yeah, it does sometimes feel I've got to the store a few minutes after Matt has been there...

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1414532197' post='10364363']
[/quote]

[/quote] That JP grind is a great wedge I have one that I have had for a number of years I have it bent up to 58* with a little sole relief for me. The only reason it is not in the front line gamer bag now is because several months ago I found a Scratch 60* at my local GW for $2.99 and fell in love with it but the JP is in the front line on the vintage set
[/quote]

I love the JP grind--actually can't play without it. Probably just because I am used to it, but have never found a wedge I like better.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Well it's been a while but here are a couple new additions to my collection.
First, Macgregor Tourney Toney Penna model 403 driver, 2, 3, 4
Next Ben Hogan Starburst driver, 50's model. I refinished this one..
Next Wood Bros Texan, Rare Blonde and as a bonus my WB limited edition Masters driver

Enjoy!

CC[attachment=2479217:image.jpg][attachment=2479219:image.jpg][attachment=2479221:image.jpg][attachment=2479223:image.jpg][attachment=2479237:image.jpg][attachment=2479225:image.jpg][attachment=2479227:image.jpg][attachment=2479229:image.jpg][attachment=2479231:image.jpg][attachment=2479233:image.jpg][attachment=2479235:image.jpg]

Beautiful clubs CC. The blonde WB Texan is sick! Do you have intentions of playing that one? I would be afraid to......I'd just stick it my bag, sans headcover, just to show off. The amazement never ceases with the clubs you folks show here.

I highly doubt that the WB Blonde will be struck by me. I am sure that I would do little to no damage, but what if? I have a couple Texan Gamers already. My Current WB display includes 9 drivers. 1 Masters, 1 All Japan, 4 Texans (1 blonde and 3 traditional) 3 All Americans (one that was a Prototype made for Peter Jacobson, red insert and Hogan style speed slot!).

[quote name='CanadianCrippler' timestamp='1414702962' post='10375421']
I highly doubt that the WB Blonde will be struck by me. I am sure that I would do little to no damage, but what if? I have a couple Texan Gamers already. My Current WB display includes 9 drivers. 1 Masters, 1 All Japan, 4 Texans (1 blonde and 3 traditional) 3 All Americans (one that was a Prototype made for Peter Jacobson, red insert and Hogan style speed slot!).
[/quote]Heck I don't blame you I had a chance to buy one of those drivers a few years ago and if I had I would probably not hit it because it was so nice. Since coming on here and seeing the pics you and others have posted I mentally kick my self every time I think about it that I did not buy it

[quote name='dbuck47' timestamp='1414679354' post='10373427']
[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1414532197' post='10364363']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I love the JP grind--actually can't play without it. Probably just because I am used to it, but have never found a wedge I like better.
[/quote]I think I have stated this before but I am a wedge HO I like all different brands and types of wedges and most of the ones I have I can hit with confidence. But like anything else I have my faves

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1414661321' post='10372671']

[/quote]I can see the Speed slot performing as good as the 23 hybrid because it is probably around 21* or so and that old Hogan is probably a little heavier on the bottom end than most hybrids. I had an old Hogan 5 wood back in the day that I could literally smoke. The Hogan 5 wood set up good for me because it was not as hooked faced as the macs of the time and at the time I had a hooking problem. I still have a Mac 4 and 5 wood that are hooked face as heck and I can hook the crap out of them even with my cut swing

[quote name='CanadianCrippler' timestamp='1414696960' post='10374971']
Next Wood Bros Texan, Rare Blonde and as a bonus my WB limited edition Masters driver

Enjoy!

CC[attachment=2479217:image.jpg][attachment=2479219:image.jpg][attachment=2479221:image.jpg][attachment=2479223:image.jpg][attachment=2479237:image.jpg][attachment=2479225:image.jpg][attachment=2479227:image.jpg][attachment=2479229:image.jpg][attachment=2479231:image.jpg][attachment=2479233:image.jpg][attachment=2479235:image.jpg]
[/quote]

CC, gorgeous lumber, absolutely gorgeous!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Enjoy!

CC

Interesting ... The 403 is the closest I have seen to my old Macgregor Bob Hamilton. I haven't been able to find any real info on it.

m4.jpg

m3.jpg

m2.jpg

m1.jpg