2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

Got some pretty cool clubs today.........

1B01F4BA-C6FC-485C-95B3-284B47FEF7DB_zpsjg8gzl5s.jpg

AAB2647E-36FB-4C3B-B11D-C919E7D974A5_zps4xxddo1i.jpg

This set was given to my Dad by a friend of his whole grew up with Leonard Thompson. Leonard gave them to him a while back and they have been sitting in an attic since.

According to my Dad's friend, Leonard used this set to win the 1974 Jackie Gleason - Inverrary Classic (Honda Classic). Who knows if that is true but this set is still a great/unique set.

I would like to clean these heads and shafts up. What is the best way to go about doing this?

BTW..... this set is only a 1i-8i set and as you can see the 1i is snapped in the grip.

[quote name='rrm1980' timestamp='1412474519' post='10237345']

I would like to clean these heads and shafts up. What is the best way to go about doing this?

BTW..... this set is only a 1i-8i set and as you can see the 1i is snapped in the grip.
[/quote]

Some have cleaned up their clubs and chrome bumpers with....coca-cola. I haven't tried it myself but there is lots of posts and youtube vids about it.

Got some pretty cool clubs today.........

1B01F4BA-C6FC-485C-95B3-284B47FEF7DB_zpsjg8gzl5s.jpg

AAB2647E-36FB-4C3B-B11D-C919E7D974A5_zps4xxddo1i.jpg

This set was given to my Dad by a friend of his whole grew up with Leonard Thompson. Leonard gave them to him a while back and they have been sitting in an attic since.

According to my Dad's friend, Leonard used this set to win the 1974 Jackie Gleason - Inverrary Classic (Honda Classic). Who knows if that is true but this set is still a great/unique set.

Great aqusition I know ole Leonard in fact I have seen those irons in person! Him and my Dad were gambling buddies and he is from up the road here in North Myrtle Beach.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

So I had been following a posting on one of those online consignment/auction sites for a set of clubs that looked interesting. Auction was yesterday, was the only bidder. They were what I thought they were. Set of 2-9 Mac Tourney Colokroms. Picked them up today. Some surface rust on the heads and shafts but nothing that can't be handled with a good coke soak and cleaning. Shafts bands are pristine. Grips are still in very playable condition although most of the endcaps are gone. Also included were Wilson Staff 4250 D, 2, 4 woods and this extremely "funky" old cart. All for the princely sum of $5.83 and a little gas money to go pick them up.

Had been lusting after a set of Colokroms ever since I saw a posting of a set awhile back. Thought they looked so damn Kool. Thanks to the education receivied from hanging around this forum, was able to spot them just from the not very good pics the auction site had. The "Colokrom" arch on the toe was the tell. So now there is one more set to add to the ever expanding "collection" awaiting an off season projecting. Oh yeah.....some pics.

[attachment=2448981:image.jpg]
[attachment=2448983:image.jpg]

One of these days, I'm going to try and figure out how to post pics right side up.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Good score Fella!

Love those clubs (would get a set except for my purchasing hiatus I'm on, well, except for Tad Moore putters).

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I will echo Scooters sentiments on that and the "funky" bag with the tubes is cool.

[size=4]Well...I don't know about irons BUT I did,"Buy It Now" and pay for a [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/121003313122?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]Mens R/H[/url][url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/121003313122?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"] [/url][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)][url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/121003313122?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]Walter Hagen International 109 Driver[/url][color=#333333][b] last night. It has a deep face and the shaft appears to be original. I just happened to find another deep face Walter Hagen driver a few years ago in original condition. The model was called,"Bludgeon". PersimmonPal helped me identify it as a Walter Hagen driver from this forum. The face insert appears to be[/b][/color][color=#ff0000][b] cycolic material [/b][/color][color=#333333][b]but I think,"originally" it may have been[/b][/color][color=#800000][b] red clay[/b][/color][color=#333333][b] colour vulcanized fibre. I have two large pieces that PersimmonPal sold to me some time ago. I think one will fit. It's good practice for me to remove and replace the insert and then add bulge and roll to the insert/face and then, cut face lines. Pictures of the other Walter Hagen are attached below. [/b][/color][/background][/size]

[size=4][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)][color=#333333][b]Max[/b][/color][/background][/size]
[b]Canada[/b]

"One Day At a Time"

Max, "Bludgeon" is a great name, and that face depth is off the hook for a persimmon.

It's almost like a prehistoric power pod.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='Maxwell' timestamp='1412730036' post='10252371']
[size=4]Well...I don't know about irons BUT I did,"Buy It Now" and pay for a [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/121003313122?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]Mens R/H[/url][url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/121003313122?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"] [/url][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)][url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/121003313122?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]Walter Hagen International 109 Driver[/url][color=#333333][b] last night. It has a deep face and the shaft appears to be original. I just happened to find another deep face Walter Hagen driver a few years ago in original condition. The model was called,"Bludgeon". PersimmonPal helped me identify it as a Walter Hagen driver from this forum. The face insert appears to be[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b] cycolic material [/b][/color][color=#333333][b]but I think,"originally" it may have been[/b][/color][color=#800000][b] red clay[/b][/color][color=#333333][b] colour vulcanized fibre. I have two large pieces that PersimmonPal sold to me some time ago. I think one will fit. It's good practice for me to remove and replace the insert and then add bulge and roll to the insert/face and then, cut face lines. Pictures of the other Walter Hagen are attached below. [/b][/color][/background][/size]

[size=4][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)][color=#333333][b]Max[/b][/color][/background][/size]
[b]Canada[/b]
[/quote] Max how about letting me know you are going to refinish it. I recently acquired a Wilson Staff deep face driver in almost the same condition as yours. I have never seen a deep face Wilson driver like the one I found. By my calculations looking at the sole plate i think it may be 65 to 67 vintagebut i am not a Wilson expert but the old thing hits good

Well, at my thrift lately it's been All Wedges All The Time but at 25¢ a copy I'm not complaining!!! :)

First up, the Blue Beauty That Lit Up My Round Today (report to follow in Rounds with a Vintage Bag thread):

[attachment=2455435:DSC02297halfsize.jpg]

[attachment=2455437:DSC02298halfsize.jpg]

Next, this was SO smeared with mud I could barely make out the W/S shield! But I *could* see 'taff' and 'alla'...

[attachment=2455439:DSC02293halfsize.jpg]

I've never seen a sole grind like this one, I hope you all can see it!! It's almost got a crescent shape hollow in the sole:

[attachment=2455441:DSC02295halfsize.jpg]

I recognized this immediately, as will you after reading this article, here's the link:

[url="http://www.clubsofdistinction.com/sandyandy/sandyandy.html"]http://www.clubsofdi.../sandyandy.html[/url]

This one's a 73ish model, I just love the trophy engravings on the face! It harmonizes with my Turfriders, I think... :)

[attachment=2455443:DSC02299halfsize.jpg]

[attachment=2455445:DSC02300halfsize.jpg]

Now, it wasn't ALL wedges, I had hopes for this Eye-O-Matic 4W but I think it's a men's club. The shaft is a Pro-pel Action #1:

[attachment=2455453:DSC02301halfsize.jpg]

[attachment=2455455:DSC02302halfsize.jpg]

And finally, I almost left this one. I know I have NO business with it, but it might be fun for range silliness:

[attachment=2455457:DSC02296halfsize.jpg]

:wave:

KM

Hi, Dan & HAB!! :wave:

Yes, that Buttonback Sand Wedge IS pretty terrific, I used it around the greens and a couple of shots were pretty as a PICTURE!!! :) And I know it's stupid but I just *luuurve* the color too--I saw them on Ebay and always thought 'yucko' but in the real world it's lovely! :)

As for the 4W, I suspected as much... *sigh* :-/ I've been wondering about a Suitable Victim for a "My First Refinishing Project" but you know what??? After I go through all that effort, I'd like to be able to swing the club!!

#firstworldproblems

KM

Nice score all around. The Patty Berg in my opinion is a great find because they are hard to find with the emblem on the back still intact.That Mac is definentlly a x stiff shaft with the Pro Pel 1 in fact it is tip stiff also. i could hit that thing at 27 but at 57 I dont know. My Dads old ceramic face irons are pro pel 2s and I do have to romp them to hit them anymore. That Sandy Andy is a classic a lot of people used to carry them in the day

got to game my hogan reviera sw. pretty good wedge for one with so much bounce.on the way home i hit some thrifts and scored a hogan 2 wood for 2.99. this will come in handy when i play vintage as the 2 wood is much eaiser to hit than the driver. hey kat -how is your sand play by the way? i saw a mans sand genie rare! and thought of you and the ones you have

73 hogan apex

Dan,

A *men's* Sand Genie?!?!! That IS rare, don't tell me you left it??? ;)

The Sand Genie IS Da Biz, actually I'm thinking about getting a back-up just in case. For some reason, it actually mostly works as a Sand Trap Repellent--if it's in the bag?? I get into almost NO sand traps. I took it *out* of the bag (for *one* round only, I believe the expression is, "Pride goeth"?? ;) ) and wound up in THREE of them! I did get into a trap on my last round, fair and square--I was hitting out of the rough, it was a tough lie and I figured that's where I'd be.

Grabbed the Sand Genie, one swing and OUT!!! :) It took longer to rake the trap, by the footprints at least two people before me skipped that little detail...

[quote name='Kathy Marie' timestamp='1413329723' post='10287677']
Dan,

A *men's* Sand Genie?!?!! That IS rare, don't tell me you left it??? ;)

The Sand Genie IS Da Biz, actually I'm thinking about getting a back-up just in case. For some reason, it actually mostly works as a Sand Trap Repellent--if it's in the bag?? I get into almost NO sand traps. I took it *out* of the bag (for *one* round only, I believe the expression is, "Pride goeth"?? ;) ) and wound up in THREE of them! I did get into a trap on my last round, fair and square--I was hitting out of the rough, it was a tough lie and I figured that's where I'd be.

Grabbed the Sand Genie, one swing and OUT!!! :) It took longer to rake the trap, by the footprints at least two people before me skipped that little detail...
[/quote]

Grrrr, a former caddie's worst nightmare!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

yes kat i did leave it. i am blessed with being an execellent bunker player and dont need the extra help . if i ever loose my skills i can turn to my hogan shure out. its apply named. moves so much sand it hard not to get out. you really have bec ome one of us. looking for back up s of your go to clubs-lol

73 hogan apex

I trust that these examples are getting some air time out at a range or golf course. The golf in Ontario hasn't been too good lately because all the courses are saturated with the rain that has been falling steadily since August. I'm just getting out occasionally. And with no ill intent on all the good golf that can be still played - I'm shifting into the fall hunting mode and will have some "units" to work on when winter sets in.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice find Dan. I have the 1 and 3 of the same clubs and I like them an awful lot, in fact they've been the woods I've played most regularly this year. They're not, to my eye, the nicest looking Hogan woods but they're the sweetest feeling IMO. The 3 wood is quite deep-faced, but still gets the ball up off the deck OK.

these despite their age and condition are the nicest hogan woods i have seen. all my others are lam maple from the speed slot era. these are high quality persimmion with brass back weights and beautiful grain to the wood. i cant waite to game them but will have to use old titliest balatas. i dont have any soft modern balls. i shure dont want to crack these babies with modern 2 peice hard balls like top flite and pinnacle. (my normal ball)

73 hogan apex

Boom, just pulled trigger on a 2-E set of '88 Redlines, lightly used, $157 USD, local pick up.

Not sure whether they're a 3 or a 4 shaft (prefer 4) but have a swappable set of each in the garage.

It's the 4th time recently that my wife has been told this is my ideal set, haha, so I might have to offload something as a trade off...

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

[quote name='MattB_NZ' timestamp='1414449771' post='10359259']
Boom, just pulled trigger on a 2-E set of '88 Redlines, lightly used, $157 USD, local pick up.

Not sure whether they're a 3 or a 4 shaft (prefer 4) but have a swappable set of each in the garage.

It's the 4th time recently that my wife has been told this is my ideal set, haha, so I might have to offload something as a trade off...
[/quote]

Where did you find those?

Good job MattyB. Redlines are clubs I would really like to try someday. Aesthetically, they are a wonderful looking set of blades. Offer us your mini-review once you've had the opportunity to swing them. As for the Mrs., she hears that tale from me all the time. She just rolls her eyes and walks away. I buy her things. Its our little "arrangement".

Oh yeah, where's the pics? TIA.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1414450114' post='10359285'][quote name='MattB_NZ' timestamp='1414449771' post='10359259']

[/quote]

Where did you find those?[/quote]Hi Steve, good old Trademe, eh, the home of (usually) next to no decent golf clubs here in NZ.

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi