2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1415235189' post='10403115']Some newly acquired persimmon here. Can anyone help out with any info? I'm guessing mid-80s or thereabouts? How does persimmon match up with a graphite/born shaft? Does anyone know much about this shaft? It's branded Powerbilt by Aldila...

[attachment=2486643:2014-11-06 13.29.28.jpg]
[attachment=2486645:20141106_132814.jpg]
[attachment=2486639:20141106_132959.jpg]
[attachment=2486641:20141106_133050.jpg][/quote]Nice one Steve!

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1415248412' post='10404143']
Persimmonman,

Your pre War Armour 4-wood is cool. It always amazes me as to how small the heads are on the 4. Even up through the 693and 945 in the 1950's.

Your post got me thinking about smaller, shallower clubheads. Here is, by far, the smallest driver head I have ever seen on any MacGregor, let alone an Armour. Like yours, it is pre-war and has a model # I've never seen. I think it is 1654. As Charley Penna has stated several times, every MacGregor pro had his own model number outlining his specs. Both our woods were special order.
Take a look at these photos. I set it up with a 693 driver and 3-wood. [b]It is basically the same size as the 3, but with only about 10 degrees of loft.[/b]
[/quote]

I'll bet that was a helluva weapon off the deck in the hands of the right golfer.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1415228548' post='10402519']
you mean people are scraping golf clubs? i deal in scrap metal once in a while (collect and then sell) but so far have drawn the line at selling clubs for scrap
[/quote]Oh yeah they are scrapping anything. A lot of the club stuff comes in on the county metal dumpsters. Like I said most of the stuff is clone junk but every now and then you will find a good shaft.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1415235189' post='10403115']
Some newly acquired persimmon here. Can anyone help out with any info? I'm guessing mid-80s or thereabouts? How does persimmon match up with a graphite/born shaft? Does anyone know much about this shaft? It's branded Powerbilt by Aldila...

[attachment=2486641:20141106_133050.jpg]
[/quote]If it came from the factory like that it is early to mid 90s. The shaft is probably an Aldila HM-45 or 55. I have a 55 in my Penna model 59. IMHO it hits good but if you have a fast swing speed you have to time it right because the persimmon head is heavier than a modern metal but if you flush it it does kick and kick faster than a steel shaft in persimmon and the ball will come off hot. We had a PB similar to yours in the golf shop brand new I have no idea where we got it but I do remember we sold it on fleabay to a guy I believe was in the Midwest. Actually that penna of mine helped to slow my swing speed and improve my timing some. But you have a great find

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1415308788' post='10407521']
[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1415235189' post='10403115']
Some newly acquired persimmon here. Can anyone help out with any info? I'm guessing mid-80s or thereabouts? How does persimmon match up with a graphite/born shaft? Does anyone know much about this shaft? It's branded Powerbilt by Aldila...

[attachment=2486641:20141106_133050.jpg]
[/quote]If it came from the factory like that it is early to mid 90s. The shaft is probably an Aldila HM-45 or 55. I have a 55 in my Penna model 59. IMHO it hits good but if you have a fast swing speed you have to time it right because the persimmon head is heavier than a modern metal but if you flush it it does kick and kick faster than a steel shaft in persimmon and the ball will come off hot. We had a PB similar to yours in the golf shop brand new I have no idea where we got it but I do remember we sold it on fleabay to a guy I believe was in the Midwest. Actually that penna of mine helped to slow my swing speed and improve my timing some. But you have a great find
[/quote]

Thanks. Hard to tell if it's original or has been reshafted with graphite/boron, either way it's a nice piece of persimmon, which is not that easy to come by in these parts. I hit it better when my swing isn't too quick so hopefully it will be a useful weapon for me :-)

I picked up a set of Taylormade T-D Tour Preferred irons pretty cheap this week at a thrift. The only info I could find on them is that they are stainless musclebacks and were made between '87 and '90. Not sure if that makes them classic or vintage but they sure are in nice shape. Apparently the 3 and 4 irons have a hollow head but I can't confirm that through specs. They look like it though. I read that the PW is 50* so certainly much more traditional than even other clubs from the 80s.

Grips are in very good shape and are the Golf Pride Velvet Cord. I'll give them a go but I want to make sure I'm following the classic guidelines before I use them regularly.

See what you've all done to me? I'm now buying clubs I don't really "need"!

[quote name='shanksfornuthin' timestamp='1415311012' post='10407723']
I picked up a set of Taylormade T-D Tour Preferred irons pretty cheap this week at a thrift. The only info I could find on them is that they are stainless musclebacks and were made between '87 and '90. Not sure if that makes them classic or vintage but they sure are in nice shape. Apparently the 3 and 4 irons have a hollow head but I can't confirm that through specs. They look like it though. I read that the PW is 50* so certainly much more traditional than even other clubs from the 80s.

Grips are in very good shape and are the Golf Pride Velvet Cord. I'll give them a go but I want to make sure I'm following the classic guidelines before I use them regularly.

[/quote]

Welcome to the "Hoarding Club"!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1415320205' post='10408443']
those tm irons have a rep as being hard to hit. they were for me anyway. gary mccords fav irons
[/quote]

That is not what I needed to hear. They were only $20 so I can flip them and come out ahead.

Or...I can just use them for practice figuring if I can get decent with them my other clubs will be a breeze.

Well this is interesting. I too swung by a thrift store today and picked up a driver, 3&5 wood tour preferred taylormade steel woods. 11.5 degree driver. All graphite shafts. If you want them to complete your set, PM me..

These came in a bag that included a full set of Macgregor Tourney. MT irons 2 - 10 irons, Macgregor stiff shafts and original rubber grips.

Also some crap SW and an older canvas bag that will be my new classic game bag.

CC

[quote name='CanadianCrippler' timestamp='1415323863' post='10408831']
Well this is interesting. I too swung by a thrift store today and picked up a driver, 3&5 wood tour preferred taylormade steel woods. 11.5 degree driver. All graphite shafts. If you want them to complete your set, PM me..

These came in a bag that included a full set of Macgregor Tourney. MT irons 2 - 10 irons, Macgregor stiff shafts and original rubber grips.

Also some crap SW and an older canvas bag that will be my new classic game bag.

CC
[/quote]

Very cool. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to put them to use.

[/quote]I have a friend of mine that has played those model of irons ever since they came out. He took and passed his Playability (PAT) Test for his PGA class A card with them. He probably has 5 or 6 sets of them I know I have picked up and sent him a couple of sets over the last 10 years or so

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1415411677' post='10413873']

[/quote]I have a friend of mine that has played those model of irons ever since they came out. He took and passed his Playability (PAT) Test for his PGA class A card with them. He probably has 5 or 6 sets of them I know I have picked up and sent him a couple of sets over the last 10 years or so
[/quote]

Would you say they are playable for the average joe? I haven't been able to hit them yet so I'll find out soon enough. And does the hollow 3/4 irons sound correct as well as the weaker lofts?

Most important: Are these classic or borderline - maybe wait another 5 years or so?

[quote name='shanksfornuthin' timestamp='1415412062' post='10413899']
[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1415411677' post='10413873']

[/quote]

Would you say they are playable for the average joe? I haven't been able to hit them yet so I'll find out soon enough. And does the hollow 3/4 irons sound correct as well as the weaker lofts?

Most important: Are these classic or borderline - maybe wait another 5 years or so?
[/quote]I honestly don't know about the hollow part on the long irons. you know I don't think I ever hit them. Really it is hard to say if they are playable for the average Joe or not. I remember they did not seem to set up good for my eye and that is my number 1 criteria. But that is just me you never know it may be your cup of tea. I mean as good as Hogan irons are they never fit my eye except for the wedges. Try and see
As far as being classic I would say so because they are at least 20 years old and they are the first TM irons and remember TM was just getting started in those days so there was not as many of those sets being produced then as now. They are not extremely rare but I wonder how many sets were made and how many survived? Heck yeah if you can hit them play them in the classic bag.Remember we have very few rules if any in classic golf just opinions of what is classic. Heck the way they bring out new models now a club 2 years old is 4 or 5 "generations old" and considered "antique" by some peoples standards

In addition to the putters I posted in the "I love putters thread", other "stuff" obtained yesterday from my estate sale shopping spree. All these items were piled into a dusty corner of the basement underneath a stairway and also stuck up in the ceiling between the floor joists. I'm fighting for space to examine things with the little old ladys looking at christmas decorations. It must have been quite a sight, but I was focused.

Not exactly vintage, maybe a couple of them are. Some wedges:
Wilson Staff RM Midsize. Has an interesting bronze face.
Titleist Vokey 60-10. Oil can finish? Sort of a muted bronze finish.
Ben Hogan Sure-On.
Ram Tom Watson Grind TW860 60*.
Cleveland Reg. 588 56* SW.
Ben Hogan "Wedge". No other stampings on it.
Cleveland Reg. 797 BeNi 56* SW.
Cleveland Classic 691 55* SW.

Five of these have some sweet Neumann grips on them.
[attachment=2489147:image.jpg]

Some more clubs:
Hogan D. Didn't notice it was a lammy until I got it out in the light of day.
Hogan "Personal Model" Speed Slot 3w.
Hogan Speed Slot 5w
Citation 3w. Didn't notice until latter, it had been reshafted with a AMF Apex shaft. Someone did a great job. The whipping looks factory perfect.
Set of eight RP Rifle 5.5 shafts with GP tour wraps. Still one of my favorite iron shafts. These may have been Cally pulls due to the bore-thru angle cut on them. However, for $3.00, was worth it just for the still in fine shape grips.
Three D.G. shafts with Neumann leather grips. I'm going to try and remove one this a.m. Hopefully I can manage it as I would like to use these Neumann's on some vintage clubs I have around. Plus there are more clubs at this sale with them installed. Today is 50% off day as well. If they're still around.
[attachment=2489157:image.jpg][attachment=2489163:image.jpg]

And lastly, because man does not live by clubs alone, a little vino for $2 per.
[attachment=2489171:image.jpg]

There is still a bag up there that has a set of Mac Custom Tourney woods in it. Did I mention that today is 50% off day........

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

if we are going to have a vintage wedge contest-you guys will loose. i have 4 golf bags full of nothing but awesume wedges.. cleveland did make some really great wedges that few know about. all the general public ever sees is the 588. which is a hackers wedge. the model 900 low bounce-now we are talking awesume post-11-1142272663.jpg

73 hogan apex

Nice grab from the Estate Sale!

I mentioned before I would share pictures of my 1935 Macgregor, Tommy Armour Driver & 3-wood. This was the first year that Macgregor put Tommy Armour onto the crown of their woods. Special A-1 true temper shafts, original long black calf grips. Clubs are in great condition! Added the picture of my display special build for these special clubs..

Enjoy!

CC[attachment=2489363:image.jpg][attachment=2489365:image.jpg][attachment=2489367:image.jpg][attachment=2489369:image.jpg][attachment=2489371:image.jpg][attachment=2489373:image.jpg]

I can assure you that I will not be playing these. As they are basically 80 years old and in amazing original condition, I would be terrified that I would snap the shaft or something.

I am always looking around for clubs. If I have time later, I will post my driver 3-wood Bobby Jones clubs too..

Beautiful clubss CC, well done. Like your display rack as well. Gives me an idea for a winter project. Hope you don't mind, but I'm stealing that pic for future reference. If I go into full production mode, I'll offer a % of the profits.

Shanks, little story brhind this one. Was surfing through estatesales.net and saw this one that was only about 12 miles from home. Had two blurry pictures of a couple of bags and of a plastic storage bin filled up with some clubs. Since it was close, decided to run up there to see....nothing ventured sort of thing. Found the bags. Nothing, dept. store junk. Couldn't find the bin. Asked the guys running the sale, where's the bin. They had no clue, said the family may have taken them out of the sale. Thought I give it one more pass through before I left, just to make sure. That's when I found them, tucked back in a corner, underneath a set of stairs. Even had a little old lady that I was wrangling with for space point out that there were more stuck up in the floor joist area. Half the stuff wasn't even priced. I'm dragging clubs up from the basement for pricing. Worrying that somone would swoop in and grab the ones I left behind. They didnt know what this stuff was worth, so just kind negotiated a lump sum for everything. Even got them to throw in a doz Precept Ladys.

Whole thing was kind of wierd. I got lucky. You never know where and when luck might surface. I had nothing better to do, wasn't going golfing!

Since no was a looking at the grip thread, asking here for a quick answer. Obtained clubs with Neumann grips in great shape. There are more to be had.

Is there a way to remove without destroying them? Tried this a.m. with zero success. Unwrap and rewrap with new underlayer only way? Need to know if its worth it for me to grap the other clubs with Neumanns on them. They are in really nice shape. Kind of hate to let them paas by.

Here are my Robert Jones Model J 40 driver and 3-wood. Came from a guy that worked at the golf hall of fame. They are basically perfect condition and I love that the grips are marked "Jones Tour Grip, pat requested". The grip, not round fits more naturally into your fingers, very nice brown calf wrap.

Enjoy!

CC[attachment=2489553:image.jpg][attachment=2489557:image.jpg][attachment=2489559:image.jpg][attachment=2489563:image.jpg][attachment=2489565:image.jpg]

So this would be under "Correct - No New Addition".

Last weekend I bumped around the local flea market looking mainly for a decent golf bag but keeping my eye out for some vintage clubs. I came across a vendor who had some stuff out and took a look. He had some bags but I didn't like them, a whole bunch of putters I thought about but didn't go for, and a set of very old MacGregor "Classic" irons 2-9 that he wanted $30 for. I didn't know enough about them so I didn't bite even though they looked really nice. Then he told me he had some Hogan's in his truck and I could dig them out if I wanted to. EUREKA!. An absolutely beautiful set of Hogan "Copper Coin" Medallion 2-E irons in sweet condition. I took all the clubs out and thought this is a set I'd love to have. I measured them out to make sure they weren't tampered with and they seemed OK. I asked how much and he said $30 - which I thought was kinda low for a close to mint set. I did some more inspecting and he came by and asked what I thought. I said "well, nice, but they aren't a matched set". He asked what I meant, and I pointed out that the 4i had a Hogan 3 shaft and all the others had Apex 4 shafts., and that the serial number on the 4i ferrule was different than the rest of the set. He first said I should look for the matching 4i in his truck and when I didn't find it he explained that he picks up a lot of odd clubs and must have switched the 4i when he grabbed the set that morning, and that I should pay him the $30 (or whatever I would offer) and he'd meet me later with the correct 4i. I said no, but gave him my # to call me and I'd meet him to get the right club. He didn't call.

I know he knew it was not a matched set, but I also thought I could have offered $20, taken them, and then reshafted the 4i for a consistent set. What would you guys have done?

[quote name='shanksfornuthin' timestamp='1415485916' post='10417047']
So this would be under "Correct - No New Addition".

Last weekend I bumped around the local flea market looking mainly for a decent golf bag but keeping my eye out for some vintage clubs. I came across a vendor who had some stuff out and took a look. He had some bags but I didn't like them, a whole bunch of putters I thought about but didn't go for, and a set of very old MacGregor "Classic" irons 2-9 that he wanted $30 for. I didn't know enough about them so I didn't bite even though they looked really nice. Then he told me he had some Hogan's in his truck and I could dig them out if I wanted to. EUREKA!. An absolutely beautiful set of Hogan "Copper Coin" Medallion 2-E irons in sweet condition. I took all the clubs out and thought this is a set I'd love to have. I measured them out to make sure they weren't tampered with and they seemed OK. I asked how much and he said $30 - which I thought was kinda low for a close to mint set. I did some more inspecting and he came by and asked what I thought. I said "well, nice, but they aren't a matched set". He asked what I meant, and I pointed out that the 4i had a Hogan 3 shaft and all the others had Apex 4 shafts., and that the serial number on the 4i ferrule was different than the rest of the set. He first said I should look for the matching 4i in his truck and when I didn't find it he explained that he picks up a lot of odd clubs and must have switched the 4i when he grabbed the set that morning, and that I should pay him the $30 (or whatever I would offer) and he'd meet me later with the correct 4i. I said no, but gave him my # to call me and I'd meet him to get the right club. He didn't call.

I know he knew it was not a matched set, but I also thought I could have offered $20, taken them, and then reshafted the 4i for a consistent set. What would you guys have done?
[/quote]it depends on what you want them for as in playing or collecting. Heck if you were going to play them and change the shafts anyhow I would have paid him $30. On the collecting part I would have probably got them because there are enough Hogan fans on here you could have probably got the matching shaft relatively cheap.

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1415493890' post='10417597']
medallions are among the more playable of the older hogan desighns. i wouldnt worry about i shaft not matching. these are getting harder to find. unless your are a near scratch player you wont notice that big a diff between 3and 4 apex shafts. unless you swing like john daily
[/quote]Dan since I think IMHO that you are the resident Hogan expert I will ask you a question. Would it be of help to you guys if when I run up on individual Hogan clubs at the thrifts( I get them for around $3 ) to get them for shafts for you Hogan guys. I aint trying to make a profit just trying to help out?