2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

[quote name='dbuck47' timestamp='1443030801' post='12356864']
Trips to the Goodwill had been pretty dry until a couple of weeks ago.

I picked up a 3-9 set of Hogan Apex PC's, a non-matching E, some Cleveland 588 wedges in 53-56-60, a Cleveland TC-15 persimmon driver in really good condition, and a fair but playable Hogan Speed Slot 4-wood. Earlier this week, trip to another thrift yielded a Middleground Black Star persimmon 4-wood, and the opposite of classic-a late model PING stand bag to put it all in.

I had sworn off any more additions for a while, but I have been wanting some Hogan irons for the longest, and couldn't pass up the rest.

I will add pictures when I get a chance.
[/quote]

Nice haul! I have not had much success as of late myself with the Thrift stores, so a little jealous!

I am curious if you have got your fix of Hogan irons or if you are looking for any models specifically..

CC

[quote name='CanadianCrippler' timestamp='1443031036' post='12356894']
[quote name='dbuck47' timestamp='1443030801' post='12356864']
Trips to the Goodwill had been pretty dry until a couple of weeks ago.

I picked up a 3-9 set of Hogan Apex PC's, a non-matching E, some Cleveland 588 wedges in 53-56-60, a Cleveland TC-15 persimmon driver in really good condition, and a fair but playable Hogan Speed Slot 4-wood. Earlier this week, trip to another thrift yielded a Middleground Black Star persimmon 4-wood, and the opposite of classic-a late model PING stand bag to put it all in.

I had sworn off any more additions for a while, but I have been wanting some Hogan irons for the longest, and couldn't pass up the rest.

I will add pictures when I get a chance.
[/quote]

Nice haul! I have not had much success as of late myself with the Thrift stores, so a little jealous!

I am curious if you have got your fix of Hogan irons or if you are looking for any models specifically..

CC
[/quote]

Too early to tell on the Hogan fix. I played with them once and like them so far. This was actually my first choice for some reason after studying the excellent thread on here about the different models. There was a partial set of White Cameos in the barrel but they were considerably "higher mileage".
These PC's have some old Golf Pride Tour Wraps that are playable, but eventually I will have this assortment gripped with my usual Crosslines. Anyway, I am satisfied on Hogans for now, but you know how it goes.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Bucky, I have a love/hate relationship with Hogans, documented in various places throughout the board.

Loved my Apex II when I got them, learned to hate the lack of clubhead feel and low launch angle

Loved my Radials when I got them, learned to hate the turf interaction, and difficulty playing them off uneven lies

Loved my Hogan Plus One when I got them, just struggling with blades this year, period. Still haven't given up on them.

Seems my relationship with Hogan is a lot like my relationships while in University - exciting at first, get stale quick, and sometimes are rather short.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

As a Hogan Freak, I would say that I do love the Redline and Apex 99 sets (also really like the 93 forged too!). They all have amazing feel and predictable distance (which is not horrible but a little shorter to today's modern irons). I also have a lot of fun with a set of 50's Slazenger / Hogan Precisions. Small heads but very pure.

My collection of Hogan sets is now at 11 different models..!

CC

Scooter that sounds like my driver relationships through the years. About a 6 month courtship where I get aquainted, about 12 months of bliss, and then 6 months of disagreements that lead to the inevitable.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1443426144' post='12376898']These old girls found their way into my bag yesterday. Thanks Steve!

[attachment=2971528:PTSET.jpg]

J[/quote]

They look great! How did they play? The woods look really promising. The driver is a handful but have hit some great shots on the range with the 3 and 4 wood. Just need a new grip on that 2 wood ;-)

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1443426890' post='12376910']
[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1443426144' post='12376898']These old girls found their way into my bag yesterday. Thanks Steve!

J[/quote]

They look great! How did they play? The woods look really promising. The driver is a handful but have hit some great shots on the range with the 3 and 4 wood. Just need a new grip on that 2 wood ;-)
[/quote]

They played great. I saw a little more of right hand side of the course than I've become accustomed to but nothing for me to be alarmed about.

Naturally I am compelled to compare them to my beloved '63 M1 CF 4000's with Tourney Action 1 Shafts.
Now I know that my CF4000's are heavy. They are set up progressively swing weighted from D5-D8 with my 5 iron weighing 457 grams.
These '58 PT's bump the weight another notch. Without me adding any extra weight, after regripping and extending the shafts I saw a swing weight of D9 across the board on all clubs except the 8 iron ( which was a couple of points shy) and the DS which is very happy playing at E5. The 5 iron in this set weighs in at 464.6 grams.

The PT1 heads are a little smaller and the toe is less rounded compared to the M1's, this is noticeable at address.
While the lie angles are slightly flatter on these PT's, these two otherwise set up very similar at address in regards to offset, the PT's just possibly might have a little more face progression in the short irons.
The lofts on the PT's are noticably weaker in the mid to short irons.
The soles on Pt's are also wider than the M1's with less bounce ( without actually measuring them I'd say the soles are flat with zero bounce)
To me both of these irons feel very similar at impact, The PT's love to be struck very close to the heel. Don't even think about hitting out on the toe.

The PT's have Propel 1's and the M1's have Tourney Action 1 shafts. Now this is where I saw a real difference .
For me the Action shafts produce a ball flight with a piercing flat trajectory which matches how I naturally visualise my shots. The only down fall here is that I have to factor in a bit roll on approaches to the green. These play great in the wind.
The Propels produced a more parabolic flight which let me take the ball much closer to the target. It wasn't a windy day so I can't comment in that regard yet.
The Propels also felt much more "snappy" through impact.

At first I wasn't overly confident with my yardages with the PT's as I let the weaker lofts trick me in to over clubbing. I quickly learned that was totally unnecessary, if anything the the PT's were probably playing longer than the M1's.

Overall I really like the PT's, The small heads with Colokrom faces frame the ball beautifully. The lie angles and dead weights are just where I like 'em. The Ball flights great, and the DS wedge actually works!

I couldn't be happier with them.

Cheers J.

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

Some recent finds.

Fernquist and Johnson Golden Gate Irons, 2-PW....Note how square the wedge is.

Hogan Laminated Woods

Hot Z headcovers

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1443611204' post='12389088']
[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1443426890' post='12376910']

J[/quote]

[/quote]

They played great. I saw a little more of right hand side of the course than I've become accustomed to but nothing for me to be alarmed about.

Naturally I am compelled to compare them to my beloved '63 M1 CF 4000's with Tourney Action 1 Shafts.
Now I know that my CF4000's are heavy. They are set up progressively swing weighted from D5-D8 with my 5 iron weighing 457 grams.
These '58 PT's bump the weight another notch. Without me adding any extra weight, after regripping and extending the shafts I saw a swing weight of D9 across the board on all clubs except the 8 iron ( which was a couple of points shy) and the DS which is very happy playing at E5. The 5 iron in this set weighs in at 464.6 grams.

The PT1 heads are a little smaller and the toe is less rounded compared to the M1's, this is noticeable at address.
While the lie angles are slightly flatter on these PT's, these two otherwise set up very similar at address in regards to offset, the PT's just possibly might have a little more face progression in the short irons.
The lofts on the PT's are noticably weaker in the mid to short irons.
The soles on Pt's are also wider than the M1's with less bounce ( without actually measuring them I'd say the soles are flat with zero bounce)
To me both of these irons feel very similar at impact, The PT's love to be struck close very the heel. Just don't hit them out on the toe.

The PT's have Propel 1's and the M1's have Tourney Action 1 shafts. Now this is where I saw a real difference .
For me the Action shafts produce a ball flight with a piercing flat trajectory which matches how I naturally visualise my shots. The only down fall here is that I have to factor in a bit roll on approaches to the green. These play great in the wind.
The Propels produced a more parabolic flight which let me take the ball much closer to the target. It wasn't a windy day so I can't comment in that regard yet.
The Propels also felt much more "snappy" through impact.

At first I wasn't overly confident with my yardages with the PT's as I let the weaker lofts trick me in to over clubbing. I quickly learned that was totally unnecessary, if anything the the PT's were probably playing longer than the M1's.

Overall I really like the PT's, The small heads with Colokrom faces frame the ball beautifully. The lie angles and dead weights are just where I like 'em. The Ball flights great, and the DS wedge actually works!

I couldn't be happier with them.

Cheers J.
[/quote]My CFs are about the only club I ever owned that I did not have to lead tape to add weight. Now remember these have been in the family since about 1962 and I played and practiced with them quite a bit in my younger days. I think they may have helped develop my swing and my need to feel the club head all through the swing. I know when I am off some I can hit some balls with the 8 and 9 irons and get my feel back. I do play them in the all vintage set but the old Pro-Pels are getting a little stiff for me these days and after a while I have to really jump on them to hit them

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

• 2 weeks later...

Buy any old Ping you see. When the Cameron thing is over, you'll be glad you've got some of these, both the classics and some of the funner models like the Faith...

faith_large.jpg

Have one of these in the queue for restoration. Great clubs.

For a putter stable, you will not regret buying any of these in any condition...

mg2ltkWf2RqON7Cmo_F3Khw.jpg

Thanks for the info. I've heard great things about the Turfriders. The 2-7 heads of these 64's seem quite small yet they are weighted nicely, they seem heavier than my Titleist 660's which I normally play. Although all the serial numbers match, the 8-PW have a larger and rounder face (I imagine the most Wilson clubs of this age are like this?). I can't believe the condition these are in for the price I paid. Some of the clubs look as though they have hardly ever been played, and they have even been recently re-gripped. I will definitely enjoy them.

[quote name='pls123' timestamp='1445013267' post='12465204']Thanks for the info. I've heard great things about the Turfriders. The 2-7 heads of these 64's seem quite small yet they are weighted nicely, they seem heavier than my Titleist 660's which I normally play. Although all the serial numbers match, the 8-PW have a larger and rounder face (I imagine the most Wilson clubs of this age are like this?). I can't believe the condition these are in for the price I paid. Some of the clubs look as though they have hardly ever been played, and they have even been recently re-gripped. I will definitely enjoy them.[/quote]

I have a set of 1961 Dyna-Powereds and yes, there is a noticeable change in head shape between the 7-iron and the rest of the shorter irons.

Not to sully up the "Hogan Bounce Sole" thread, someone mention Macs. Found these in a Northern Michigan Goodwill a couple of weeks back. Finally got around to sprucing them up, taking off the prior owner's name labels, etc. Now ready for their debut.

MacGregor Tourney M75 2 - 9 iron set. All original with silver banded shafts, original brown leather grips. Tip-top shape. Also had a matching M85 D.S. wedge. All for $28 and change out the door. To pretty to just leave there, especially being a complete set and a club junky like all of us. Really like the design of this head, in an art-deco'ish sort of way. To bad I can't hit them worth a lick. But attempting to whack a few shag balls into the backyard woods probably does not constitute a fair test of playability.

[attachment=2997362:IMG_1214.jpg]

Golf clubs have all but disappeared from the local thrifts. Replaced by skis and hockey sticks. Long time till spring for a vintage golf club junkie to scratch the scrounging itch. Sigh.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1445180021' post='12472346']
Very dapper there JB! You wear the look well, like it. Except......that putter. Rather the grip on that putter. Sorta clashes in a non-vintage sort of way. Just say'in.....
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. You just have to visualize an Otey Crisman in his hand, but I do like the look none-the-less! :good:

[Added]BTW, sweet set of Macs!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='CanadianCrippler' timestamp='1409584772' post='10044525']
Here are a couple of my favorite Ben Hogan sets that I own.

1993 FT Forged, 3-EQ, Apex 4 shafts, virtually new condition.

1988 Redline Forged, 3-EQ, SW, very little use, Apex 4 shafts. I have another exact set of these which are my Classic gamers.

I have a set of 1999 Apex Forged, 3-EQ, Apex 4 shafts, off to the Iron Factory for a tune up..

Enjoy!

CC[attachment=2400917:image.jpg][attachment=2400919:image.jpg][attachment=2400921:image.jpg][attachment=2400923:image.jpg][attachment=2400925:image.jpg][attachment=2400927:image.jpg][attachment=2400929:image.jpg][attachment=2400931:image.jpg]
[/quote]

Sweet mercy! I can't not look at these.

Yeah they are quite nice, thanks!

Sitting with 8 sets of hogans now, 9 of which are crazy good condition. (88 Redlines, 93 FT Forged, 63 IPT, 73 Apex, Slazenger / Hogan Precision stainless steel and of course 99 Apex). My other sets Apex II, 71 Power Thrust, Apex PC and nice too, just not amazing condition.

CC

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Atrayn' timestamp='1429294198' post='11382277']
[quote name='CanadianCrippler' timestamp='1429293395' post='11382181']
Here is the 1988 Hogan Redline SW. This one is basically new. I sold my other one about two months ago, so they are out there. I am however trying to track down the SW for the 1993 Apex FT Forged set, so let me know if you see one in great condition!

CC[attachment=2715757:image.jpg][attachment=2715761:image.jpg]
[/quote]

First one I have ever seen. The Holy Grail..Crap and I thought I was done. The PGA value guide lists a LW. Is that real too?
[/quote]

Took 6 months of waiting but I finally landed the SW!!!!

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

[quote name='Atrayn' timestamp='1448488745' post='12646308']
[quote name='Atrayn' timestamp='1429294198' post='11382277']
[quote name='CanadianCrippler' timestamp='1429293395' post='11382181']
Here is the 1988 Hogan Redline SW. This one is basically new. I sold my other one about two months ago, so they are out there. I am however trying to track down the SW for the 1993 Apex FT Forged set, so let me know if you see one in great condition!

CC[attachment=2715757:image.jpg][attachment=2715761:image.jpg]
[/quote]

First one I have ever seen. The Holy Grail..Crap and I thought I was done. The PGA value guide lists a LW. Is that real too?
[/quote]

Took 6 months of waiting but I finally landed the SW!!!!
[/quote]

Congrats on your find!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS