2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Where to buy golf stuff in Tokyo?

dronell19

Hi guys,

I will be going to Tokyo at the end of the month and was wondering if anyone can point me to good golf stores. I will most likely be staying in Shinjuku area.

I have not been to Tokyo for 15 years so this counts as a first visit. I am mainly after accessories and a nice JDM bag.

TIA for any pointers you may have.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Victoria Golf's largest store is in Shinjuku down the street from Takashimaya Dept Store. From JR Shinjuku train station look for signs to either South East gate or the New South gate. If you exit South East gate, go down the stairs to street level upon exiting, turn right and follow the signs to Takashimaya Dept store. It's about a 2 min walk in that direction to the store. If you exit the New South gate, you'll see a ton of signs for Takashimaya Dept store. Just follow them out the gate and to the left. When you arrive at the escalator bank at the plaza entrance to the dept store, go down to the street level and turn left. Victoria golf will be <100 meters down the street on your right just pass the Starbucks.

Here is a link for google maps location of Victoria Golf Shinjuku for you
[url="http://goo.gl/maps/tMij3"]http://goo.gl/maps/tMij3[/url]

If you have time, another option is to go to Okachimachi. There are several golf shops in the area selling new and used clubs/equipment all in the same area. Take the JR Yamanote line from Shinkjuku station headed in the direction of Yoyogi. Get off at Okachimachi station (about a dozen stops between Shinjuku and Okachimachi). Go out the North exit and jog to your left to the small road that runs parallel to the west side of the JR rail line. There are several shops along this street in between the big 3 stores of Niki Golf & Kotobuki Golf right near the train station to Festival Golf 2 blocks away. Here is Google map links for these shops.
Festival Golf (4th floor of this building): [url="https://goo.gl/maps/p9wKW"]https://goo.gl/maps/p9wKW[/url]
Kotobuki Golf (Niki Golf is located directly across the street from Kotobuki Golf): [url="https://goo.gl/maps/AGLlA"]https://goo.gl/maps/AGLlA[/url]  

Other option you can also do quickly from Shinjuku is to take either the JR Chuo Line Rapid or Sobu Line Local train from Shinjuku Station to Ochanomizu. Exit the Ochanomizubashi (aka Ochanomizu bridge) exit and turn left. Walk 5 to 6 blocks to Yasakuni Dori (6 lane street - you can't miss it). Victoria Golf Kanda store will be staring you in the face across the intersection on the other side of Yasakuni Dori.
Goole map link: [url="https://goo.gl/maps/lq07T"]https://goo.gl/maps/lq07T[/url]
The Mizuno Tokyo store is located one block further up Yasakuni Dori and the top floor is all golf equipment, shoes and clothes.
Google map link: [url="https://goo.gl/maps/plFpd"]https://goo.gl/maps/plFpd[/url]

[quote name='dronell19' timestamp='1413038424' post='10270369']
Thanks guys

Turns out I will be staying in Ueno area. Anything good there?
[/quote]

JR Ueno station is only one stop from Okachimachi - follow my directions from above to find shops from Okachimachi station. If you are staying to the South/West of Ueno station, it might even be fast if you just walk to the shops in Okachimachi - check out the google map links.
If you want to go to Victoria golf, you can go to either the Kanda shop or the Shinjuku store in my earlier directions - just take the JR line mentioned and go in opposite direction.

Good stuff.

Other suggestions if the stuff you want is current/new:

Ueno Golf Shop is...in Ueno. But it caters to high end golf merchandise. I wouldn't recommend if you're looking for a deal or a bargain.

BIC Camera at Tokyo Station has a ton of golf stuff and is fairly reasonable. It's not a camera store - think of it like a Best Buy + Target together. If you want a fast but very "japanese" shopping experience BIC Camera is great. The Tokyo Station store has the most golf stuff. Yodubashi Camera is also in the area but not as much devoted to golf.

Bring your passport - sometimes there is a "promotion" (they don't say "sale") that will provide you with discounts. Victoria Golf almost always has such a promotion going on.

Thanks so much for the inputs guys. I've drawn out a plan to fill my free time :)
As for food I think I'll just drop in any ramen/katsu shop I see along the way. I've been told they can't be any worse than what we have locally.

One more question... If I only have time to visit one place only, which one should that be? Victoria in Shinjuku or Kanda, or stick around the Ueno area and walk to Okachimachi?

I'm really after accessories (been told they sell things we never see before) and if possible a golf bag.

Cheers!

[quote name='dronell19' timestamp='1413272458' post='10282883']
Thanks so much for the inputs guys. I've drawn out a plan to fill my free time :)
As for food I think I'll just drop in any ramen/katsu shop I see along the way. I've been told they can't be any worse than what we have locally.

One more question... If I only have time to visit one place only, which one should that be? Victoria in Shinjuku or Kanda, or stick around the Ueno area and walk to Okachimachi?

I'm really after accessories (been told they sell things we never see before) and if possible a golf bag.

Cheers!
[/quote]

Ha ha - easy one for ME. Go to Shinjuku and 1) Victoria Golf - 1st level is all accessories - lots of different balls, tees, towels, etc. etc. Japanese brands of shirts and caps and gloves and visors. Be careful the sizing is asian so smaller/slimmer. After you go there - 2) head over to Takashimaya department store and go to the 12th (?) floor and visit the restaurant Din Tai Fung - for their world famous "soup filled dumplings" (shaw-lum-po). The line will be loooooong - but it will move fairly regularly. It will wind down the hallway - but from the end to the door is about 1/2 hour. Excellent and not outrageously expensive.

The mention of the Mizuno shop reminded me - well worth taking a look there for Mizuno shoes (some very unusual/cool designs usually) and even maybe some nice bags (and if that's the main Mizuno shop it'll maybe have examples of the special Yoro Craft finishes to see in person)... and also checkout ASICS golf shoes - i got a pair at the Victory golf a couple years ago already I think and they are still good and the best fitting shoes I've ever used.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

• 2 weeks later...

Been living in Tokyo for the last 6 months and have been doing some window shopping. There's a very good store near me for great used clubs as well as new. It's called Golf Effort in Hiroo across the street from the New Sanno Hotel (a hotel for American military and their families)...should be easy to find. Came across one today that actually had some Miura and RomaRo components. It's called Golf Messe in Roppongi if you're out that way. About a 5-10 minute walk from Roppongi station/crossing.

I don't know if you are looking for new or used but Shimbashi station in Tokyo has about 5 or 6 good stores. There is a Golf Partner about 5 blocks from station that sells new and used, you can find all the best new JDM equipment here and used JDM and US market stuff for decent prices. There is also a great US market only store called Jyper's that sells only new equipment but the prices are unbeatable in the area. The best option for used is Golf Garden right next door to Jyper's, I think it used to be called Golf Paradise(fitting name), that is 3 levels of heaven. You can find $25 dollar bargain barrel JDM drivers all the way up to new JDM drivers for $850. This first level is used and new drivers and fairway woods, second level is bags, irons and wedges, third level is putters and shafts. If you don't go anywhere else you need to hit up Golf Garden and Jyper's, you could spend 3 hours in each. When you get to Shimbashi station look up golf shop on google maps and they are the closest to the station about 3 blocks. There are also a few lower end used stores on the other side of the station Nikki golf, Golf Effort and something else where I have found some good deals on old model stuff like 10 year old drivers and putters for 15 or 20 bucks. Tokyo is a great place for 1 or 2 year old used equipment for good prices. Enjoy and happy hunting, just bring an extra bag for all the clubs you will be hoarding.

I'm currently in Yokohama for the next few days, is there a good golf shop near by here? otherwise im just going to catch the train to shinjuku and go to victoria golf again..

Driver: Callaway GBB Speeder Evo 2 665 X flex
Fairway: Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Irons: Apex Pro 3-PW
Wedges: Mack Daddy 2 50/54, TMag TP EF grind 60
Putter: Odyssey Protype #2 Black

[quote name='mbomber' timestamp='1414589118' post='10367249']
I'm currently in Yokohama for the next few days, is there a good golf shop near by here? otherwise im just going to catch the train to shinjuku and go to victoria golf again..
[/quote]
Yes, there are the usual chain shops like Golf Partner, Tsuruya Golf, etc. Do you know where exactly in Yokohama you will be staying? One quick way to find out what golf stores are around you is to use Google Maps. Navigate to where you are staying, and search using Katakana for "Golf shop". For those of you who don't have a Japanese enabled keyboard and don't read/write Japanese, cut and paste the following characters into the Google search field ゴルフショップ

With this simple search, you'll find a good percentage of the shops in the map area you are looking at.

So I just got back from Tokyo.

Thank you guys for the very helpful inputs. I went to the three Okachimachi golf stores. 1 Kotobuki south of the station. And 2 Kotobuki north of it, very close to each other. Could not find Niki golf but managed to run through the contents of Festival golf. I also spent a lot of time at Victoria in Shinjuku.

I only left with a couple of JDM shirts and a couple of putter grips. A lot of very interesting bags and shoes, which was what I was after but finally decided against it. I have a suitcase and a carry on. Would be a hassle to try and carry them by train and monorail to the airport.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Chucksta' timestamp='1421030663' post='10730037']
Is there a shop in Tokyo that can build a custom driver with a speeder 661 evolution tour spec or tour AD shaft?

Can it be done whilst I wait?

Looking at fourteen driver head. What other JDM driver heads are good? Would prefer it sit square.

Thanks
[/quote]

Build you a custom driver w/ the above shafts. Yes.

While you wait. Considering it takes at least a day for epoxy to set, probably no.

As for heads, too many to list. Crazy, JBeam, TRPX, Ryoma are a few small companies. Check out Tourspec for a good idea of models and prices.

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='3_Putt_Par' timestamp='1421032312' post='10730187']
[quote name='Chucksta' timestamp='1421030663' post='10730037']
Is there a shop in Tokyo that can build a custom driver with a speeder 661 evolution tour spec or tour AD shaft?

Can it be done whilst I wait?

Looking at fourteen driver head. What other JDM driver heads are good? Would prefer it sit square.

Thanks
[/quote]

Build you a custom driver w/ the above shafts. Yes.

While you wait. Considering it takes at least a day for epoxy to set, probably no.

As for heads, too many to list. Crazy, JBeam, TRPX, Ryoma are a few small companies. Check out Tourspec for a good idea of models and prices.
[/quote]

If you're looking for really interesting used (and new) gear, I highly recommend Golf Effort. There is one near me in Hiroo and one I was just at near Toranomon. I believe there is a third location as well.

They sell shafts too. It looks like they have a repair/build shop at each location. I'm guessing golfers use them for the usual repair (grips, etc.). But I asked an employee about changing shafts in some used irons they had for sale and he quoted me a price. They probably do this a lot...find the set you want at a good price and then swap out the shafts to something you know you like.

The only caveat is the language barrier. Bring a friend who speaks Japanese if you don't. Or be prepared, like me, to use horrible Japanese along with lots of sign language.