2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

A Old Ping Putter Story

I did this story on another blog a few years ago. You guys seem to like my stories so I will post this. this is about my famous Zing 2 I refer to from time to time on here.

My friend won this putter in about 92 or so in a tournament. He hates Pings (as did my old man) He was raising cain about winning that POS. I grabbed it and went to the putting green and tried it. Loved it need a little weight. Offered him $20 for it and he said sure I love to take money from a fool. Took it home had to lead tape it up for me. Starting putting with it then and there. Made a lot of putts with it won a lot of money with it on the minis and playing calcuttas.

Spring forward to 2007. Old putter still in the bag finally started getting cold so I thought. We were playing down here at a course and I was still fairly long then. We were playing gambling a little high. I had these boys knocked stone cold dead. We were on the 8th hole and I drove the ball on the upslope of the green. I had an uphill putt of about 15 feet for eagle. I wanted to break it off in them I charged that putt when a roll up would do went 5 feet past. left me a downhill slider for birdie missed that went darn near to where I began at. Guess what missed that. Lost the hole. Now in those days I had a bad bad temper. I tossed it pretty good one of the guys said I guess you know there is a lake over there. Nope I did not. did not see a splash though. Of course could not find it. Played the last hole was so mad I rope hooked my drive OB. I paid off then and there and went back to find my putter. Could not find it. Went home cooled down and cried. How could I be so stupid to begin with?? Roll up dummy and win. took up my dad's old playbook and offered a reward for it. Never found it. Went through probably 20 putters including a ski pole Ping could not get the magic back.

Slide to 2012. I was opening my little golf shop up behind the house and needed some BST inventory. A man ran a add in the paper advertising some clubs for sale at a yard sale that Sat morning. I got the address and put it in the Garmin and went. I got over there and thought wow this is behind the course I threw the Ping away at. this guys house was on the far side of that lake. He had a bunch of clubs set up on tables in his yard. One table had putters on it and wola there it sat!! I picked it up and confirmed it complete with lead tape in the back and the old school leather wrap on it. I was about to wet myself with excitement. I asked the old guy how much he said $10. I about ripped my pocket off getting that fin out. I paid him and asked him how he found it. he had found it over the lake in the cat tails. He had it stored with clubs he had found over the years in his morning walks and his wife wanted the garage cleaned out so there it was. it had sat in his garage for almost 5 years. I was so mad I had thrown it over the lake or about 150 yards or so. I could have killed someone. That was the last club I threw!! I took the putter over to the putting green at that course and even though the shaft was rusty and the head only dirty (thank God for SS) the magic was back. Took it home cleaned it up put on a new grip and in my bag it went. One of my playing opponents when he learned of its recovery remarked if he knew it was there he would have give him a $100 for it and melted it down. It still has the pitted shaft in it to remind me of how lucky I was to get it back. My wife says if I go before her that the putter will be creamated with me and put in the urn.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I look back on that incident as maybe a turning point in life. Not long after that I quit playing golf and gambling on Sunday and got back into church. Ended up with a "job" at church running the sound board. I have not played no big money calcuttas or matches in years. I play a few skins games now and then with the guys at my club or a few $5 or $10 matches but nothing else. Even though I am eligble to play on several minis in Super Senior division I honestly don't want to commit to the practice required to compete competively I am having a ball just doing as I am doing no pressure. I enjoy on Sunday afternoons sometimes getting out my old sticks and messing around

A great story Stu, thanks for sharing.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Great story Stu,

The prodigal son returns home.

Question is, how many clubs did this fellow have exactly? Funny, I no longer get club-throwing mad at the course anymore, as:

a) I'm trying to enjoy golf
b) I'm not good enough to get mad

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1413805382' post='10318425']
Great story Stu,

The prodigal son returns home.

Question is, how many clubs did this fellow have exactly? Funny, I no longer get club-throwing mad at the course anymore, as:

[/quote]He had probably 50 or 60 he had picked up all over the course when he takes his daily walks. This guy does not even play golf but he likes to sit in his yard and watch others play. I ended up buying 20 or so clubs from him. He was cleaning out his garage because he had bought a vintage Corvette and needed the room

Another great story Big Stu. I have painted this cyber picture of you from your postings as quite the "character". And I mean that in the most complimentary of ways. You have a flair for personalizing a thread quite unlike anyone else around here. Kudos and mo' pleez.

Funny, I no longer get club-throwing mad at the course anymore, as:
[/quote]

Never been a club thrower. But.......I have pounded a club "with authority" into the turf on occasion. No longer because of point B. Never have nor never will be good enough. Life's to short to get that agitated over just a game. It's funny how things evolve. Couple of things have happened since starting this classic thing. I have started walking the course again. Usually just by myself, pulling my trolly and short set of vintage clubs. Don't actually keep score (other than mentally to 5's) and concentrate on trying to execute the best possible shot at any given time. This really enables me to accomplish point A.

Still enjoy playing with the Mrs. and my "usual suspects". But now, even when I'm out with the Moderns, I slip in a couple of the Classics to use. Not wanting to be overly philosophical (i.e. boring) about this but..........my attitude and approach to the game has changed.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1413895680' post='10324819']

Stand on opposing sides and have a civilized debate,
[/quote]

Says you.

Ben Hogan was a yutz.

Karsten ripped off all Scotty Cameron's designs.

Get out of the past you fogies! And yes, I'm on your lawn.

Hahahahaha!

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1413892781' post='10324625']
Another great story Big Stu. I have painted this cyber picture of you from your postings as quite the "character". And I mean that in the most complimentary of ways. You have a flair for personalizing a thread quite unlike anyone else around here. Kudos and mo' pleez.

Funny, I no longer get club-throwing mad at the course anymore, as:
[/quote]

Never been a club thrower. But.......I have pounded a club "with authority" into the turf on occasion. No longer because of point B. Never have nor never will be good enough. Life's to short to get that agitated over just a game. It's funny how things evolve. Couple of things have happened since starting this classic thing. I have started walking the course again. Usually just by myself, pulling my trolly and short set of vintage clubs. Don't actually keep score (other than mentally to 5's) and concentrate on trying to execute the best possible shot at any given time. This really enables me to accomplish point A.

Still enjoy playing with the Mrs. and my "usual suspects". But now, even when I'm out with the Moderns, I slip in a couple of the Classics to use. Not wanting to be overly philosophical (i.e. boring) about this but..........my attitude and approach to the game has changed.
[/quote]LOL since coming on here and conversing with you and some of the guys "over the big lake" I have taken to calling pull carts trolleys. Oh yeah I still have some classics in my moderns as SOP . And since I don't practice or play every day like I used too I aint good enough to get mad anymore. The honest thing about it was that I never ever got mad at an opponent just myself

• 3 weeks later...

Oh well I am going to add another story on the old Ping Legacy. Not long after I got it back I was practicing at my home course. This kid I would say about 14 years old noticed me and said WOW sir I see you have an older looking Scotty Laguna. I replied naaaw it is just a cheap copy. My buddy who is a ranger was over by the green on a cart heard all that and almost fell off the cart laughing and proceeded to tell the young man about my putter you see he was in the group that day when I threw it in the lake. He is an old fart like me and he told the kid how Scotty copied the design. The ranger was also the guy that had remarked jokingly that he wished he had found the guy that had my putter before I did because he would have given him $100 for it and melted it down. Actually he is a stand up guy and in reality if he had found it before me he would have called me and said Stuey I think I have found your putter.
Another funny story involving that putter happened this last spring. I was up the street practicing at this local executive tourist magnet course in fact I used to work there. They had a local commercial film crew there filming for an commercial. The Marketing Director who is a friend of mine asked me to be in it putting. I said ok you know I am easy to get along with. Well I set up as the director wanted and the first thing he said was are you going to put on your golf shoes? I was in my standard Chucky T Converse but color coordinated black with my outfit. WTH ?? These are the shoes I play in. Then he asked You actually putt with that thing with all the duct tape on it? I informed him that was lead tape and yes that is my putter that I play with. They ended up getting some tourist golfer from Indiana with a new SC, Loudmouth pants and some kind of fancy golf shoes. I did not give 2 hoots I thought it was funny. My buddy the Manager profusely apologized to me for the incident. I just laughed and said I have made enough money with that old putter to buy a truckload of those pants and several of those SC putters. But it ended up ok I got some free ball tickets and the tourist got to do the commercial. In fact I told the Golf Director to get that guy a copy of the tape so he could show his buddies at home he made a Golf commercial that aired on local TV in Myrtle Beach. the tourist guy was really a stand up guy and asked if I was mad I said no I just got mad at the film director for insulting my putter besides who the heck wanted to see my fat arse on TV?
BTW All the old guys call me Stuey here. I don't mind at all but I had to get someone to explain to me about the show "Family Guy" In fact I watched it one night and find it hilarious. In fact that ranger in the story I told you was a stand up guy he got me a Stuey headcover for my driver it is on the Hathaway right now. I don't know if the el cheapo bought it or found it but he gave it to me and it is the thought that counts! Right?

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1415448233' post='10414987']
I don't know if the el cheapo bought it or found it but he gave it to me and it is the thought that counts! Right?
[/quote]

Stu

Thanks for another great story. Sounds like the Headcover Balance of the Universe was maintained as well, which adds to the happy ending!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Gotta try golfing in Chucks now. Got a pair of black lo-tops at home.

Oh yeah, it's snowing here today and never got above 20*. $#!&*#&

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

The reason I golf in Chuckys or Skateboard shoes is not what you may think. I have bad ankles and regular golf shoes don't support my ankles. If I wear those ankle braces that slip on like socks my ankles swell up like balloons. Even if I wear those support hose like you wear for varicose veins with regular golf shoes my ankles swell up. So I wear the high topped tennis shoes or high topped skateboard shoes and with them being flat it helps my balance. I have been doing this for some time and it has become sort of a trademark of mine

Big Stu,

These may work for you (I have two pair and love them, especially for cool weather)|

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/true-linkswear-true-chukka-golf-shoes.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=18TRUCHUKKAMENBKMMD08501&gclid=CNTj-_qE9MECFatj7AodnVwAKA

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1415760291' post='10432453']
Big Stu,

These may work for you (I have two pair and love them, especially for cool weather)|

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/true-linkswear-true-chukka-golf-shoes.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=18TRUCHUKKAMENBKMMD08501&gclid=CNTj-_qE9MECFatj7AodnVwAKA
[/quote]Thanks but I could not get it to pull up

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1415830282' post='10437097']
[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1415760291' post='10432453']
Big Stu,

[/quote]Thanks but I could not get it to pull up
[/quote]

Sorry, Stu - see if this one works.

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/true-linkswear-true-chukka-golf-shoes.html

If not, just google "True Linkswear chukka best price."

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

It worked great that time. I may try a pair of them even though after reading the description and comments I do not know if they have enough ankle support for me to play in . But if they don't I will wear them for church in the winter because they will be fine. In the summer when I am not working or playing golf I wear of all things crocs. After all we are at the beach. I even wear the crocs to church because after all we are Episcopalian and no one there cares what someone wears to church. Thank you for the imput

• 4 months later...

I have a Ping Karsten Zing 2i Isopur [1996]. It is the only putter I have ever owned. A month ago I read about lead tape while researching heavier putters (I've always been a bit wristy and figured my putter was too light). Bought an 80g roll of the stuff. Put a layer on the sole [wrapping around the toe, sole & heal] 4 strips wide and it felt better, so put 60g [3 layers deep and 4 wide] and 15g wrapped around a new SuperSoft grip near at the top. I put a layer of clear waterproof sellotape over the lot so it does not snick off.

Wow - I can now feel the pendulum and my putting has improved a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. I had pulled the old Zinger out for a while and had been messing around with a Nike 003 and a Yes! Dianna that I had modified thanks to Tad Moore. Anyhow a friend of mine was over the other night and asked me what the heck that leather wrap grip was on the Zing for? I told him that is what I used he said BS that I always used a cord or Royal Grip cord on it. The next day he found an old pic of me with it and it had an old Lamkin cord on it. He was right. I had forgot that just before I threw it at the lake I had changed to a wrap grip.I had some Royal Grip cords laying around so I shot one on it. felt pretty good. Now Saturday I played had the Dianna in the bag was not making crap that thing had went cold like the 003 Nike. Was standing over a putt on 15 thinking I know I could make this if I only had the zing of course missed the 4 footer. Well the Zing is back in the bag. Fellaheam told me a while back that he thought I was tempting fate by taking it out of the bag and I think he was right. Somehow that putter finds it's way back in the bag always

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1428488106' post='11309657']
"O ye of little faith?" Our pastor spoke on this Easter, seemed apropos here (in a golf context only).
[/quote] LOL I was thinking that very same thing this afternoon after I started canning putts with it. Ended up in the back side of an "emergency nine" this afternoon. Was not planning on playing but just practicing. Some of my group had played today and one team needed an emergency 9 but one of the players had a hot date and could not play so I took his place. I thought to myself this is stupid I have not putted with this thing for a couple of months. What the heck I thought I have putted with it so long I can do it! Canned 3 birdies with it and 2 par saves shot -1. My buddy said 'you need to have your butt kicked if you ever take that club out of the bag again" I tend to agree